Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Gammatron 64 posted:

There was that whole thing with Aris on Cross Assault which was really inappropriate. I think that one sorta has a happy ending though because if I'm not mistaken, Aris did actually learn that his behavior wasn't acceptable and is a better person today.

hahahahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gammatron 64 posted:

By and large, women don't play fighting games.
that isn't true, man. gently caress off. kof had a huge female fanbase back in the 90s, doa has a big vaginahaver contingent, etc.

It's more that they don't often go to big events. And I don't think it's even so much 'oh man what if I get sexually harassed,' though that's a part of it, but the culture as a whole. Like, that 'I saw a woman beating a guy' thing about MVC3 was more emblematic of that than Noel Brown going for the t. hawk. If you win a few matches, suddenly you're a grand crusader for the Women, and if you drop two combos suddenly you're proof that girls are poo poo at fighting games. It's like the one good comic to ever come out of XKCD, with the 'wow, you suck at math' 'wow, girls suck at math' thing. And that attitude becomes a thing when an area has barely any women in it. Which means that attitude becomes a thing, which means women get turned off of it unless they're willing to put up with that poo poo, which... so on. It isn't something that's going to be fixed by Girls Only Tournaments, kicking Noel Brown out for a year, or pretending that Aris is a decent person now because he hasn't talked about assholes that he wants to lick in the past seven minutes. It's going to require a wider, cultural shift in the community as a whole, and speaking up when you feel that somebody has crossed a line, or even just said something kind of lovely.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Endorph posted:

that isn't true, man. gently caress off. kof had a huge female fanbase back in the 90s, doa has a big vaginahaver contingent, etc.

It's more that they don't often go to big events. And I don't think it's even so much 'oh man what if I get sexually harassed,' though that's a part of it, but the culture as a whole. Like, that 'I saw a woman beating a guy' thing about MVC3 was more emblematic of that than Noel Brown going for the t. hawk. If you win a few matches, suddenly you're a grand crusader for the Women, and if you drop two combos suddenly you're proof that girls are poo poo at fighting games. It's like the one good comic to ever come out of XKCD, with the 'wow, you suck at math' 'wow, girls suck at math' thing. And that attitude becomes a thing when an area has barely any women in it. Which means that attitude becomes a thing, which means women get turned off of it unless they're willing to put up with that poo poo, which... so on. It isn't something that's going to be fixed by Girls Only Tournaments, kicking Noel Brown out for a year, or pretending that Aris is a decent person now because he hasn't talked about assholes that he wants to lick in the past seven minutes. It's going to require a wider, cultural shift in the community as a whole, and speaking up when you feel that somebody has crossed a line, or even just said something kind of lovely.

I like this post.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I'm glad Capcom made a smart decision and decided to just use PSN/Steam to sell their SF5 DLC instead of having some idiot convoluted in-game RM store.

Hopefully, they can spend the money they would have spent implementing that on fixing their rollback implementation.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 9, 2016

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Endorph posted:

I agree with most of this, though I do think "I don't want to be oogled by literally thousands of dudes" is a pretty significant part of it (and is also pervasive in MtG as well, a similarly male-dominated competitive scene despite women making up nearly 40% of the playerbase). Milktea has also talked about this and why she supports starting out with women's-only tournaments to encourage greater participation among female players, as well as groups like Smash Sisters.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
idk if there's anything recent about Aris, other than just his silly commentary? He harassed someone a while ago, I met him with a group of friends that had 1 girl in our party at the time and he didn't do anything creepy to her. As far as I know, seemed okay?

Endorph posted:

It isn't something that's going to be fixed by Girls Only Tournaments, kicking Noel Brown out for a year, or pretending that Aris is a decent person now because he hasn't talked about assholes that he wants to lick in the past seven minutes. It's going to require a wider, cultural shift in the community as a whole, and speaking up when you feel that somebody has crossed a line, or even just said something kind of lovely.

I get the rest of the post, but it needs to be said that those elements listed above ARE a good part of starting said cultural change. Stuff like this is needed, but it's not the end goal.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

bhsman posted:

Milktea has also talked about this and why she supports starting out with women's-only tournaments to encourage greater participation among female players, as well as groups like Smash Sisters.

I have mixed feelings about women-only tournaments. I feel that in a way it results in even more cold feeling toward female players.

"Lol women are so bad that they need their own tournament! They can't hang with the men!"

I recall during the EVO Women-Only Tournament a few years ago (or at least I think it was EVO) a lot of people were saying that a women only tournament was necessary not due to them finding a safe space, but due to them literally being unable to compete with men due to women having a slower reaction time. Thus it is impossible for them to be competitive against men in a tournament.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jun 9, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ventana posted:

I get the rest of the post, but it needs to be said that those elements listed above ARE a good part of starting said cultural change. Stuff like this is needed, but it's not the end goal.
my point is that it's pretty easy to condemn noel brown, like that is literally the bare minimum you can do, but it's a lot harder to admit that there are things you could be doing or that you might have contributed in some small way to how things are by not doing anything to change it.

punk rebel ecks posted:

I have mixed feelings about women-only tournaments. I feel that in a way it results in even more cold feeling toward female players.

"Lol women are so bad that they need their own tournament! They can't hang with the men!"

I recall during the EVO Women-Only Tournament a few years ago (or at least I think it was EVO) a lot of people were saying that a women only tournament was necessary not due to them finding a safe space, but due to them literally being unable to compete with men due to women having a slower reaction time. Thus it is impossible for them to be competitive against men in a tournament.
yeah this is kind of how i feel. it's one thing if it's just a local somebody runs to meet other people near them or encourage people to come out, but it being a side event at majors is lovely for just about everyone involved.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

punk rebel ecks posted:

Women have slower reaction times? Is that even true?

Endorph posted:

gently caress off

Man, why do I even post in these threads. I think I should stop doing that again

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Gammatron 64 posted:

Women have slower reaction times? Is that even true?
I have no idea. That was just the argument that was going around. Even then so if one would take the arguments at face value the reaction time "gap", that people were claiming to exist, would be like less than a millisecond. It wouldn't really affect anything.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 9, 2016

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Women have the same reaction time.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

punk rebel ecks posted:

I agree, and IIRC she said the same thing but admitted, with no lack of frustration, that it may just be the best thing for now.

I know that Tekken 7 had a women's league and several of their top players beat male players in the World Championship Tournament awhile back.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

punk rebel ecks posted:

I have no idea. That was just the argument that was going around. Even then so if one would take the arguments at face value the reaction time "gap", that people were claiming to exist, would be like less than a millisecond. It wouldn't really affect anything.

Yeah, I doubt men and women have different reaction times. And even if they did, it wouldn't matter. Alex Valle, Tokido and Daigo are still among the best players in the world and they're pushing 40.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's frustrating for eSports because it's one of the few professional competitive venues where gender has 0 impact, would be nicer to see more women playing because that's just more talented people in the competitive pool!

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

In Training posted:

It's frustrating for eSports because it's one of the few professional competitive venues where gender has 0 impact, would be nicer to see more women playing because that's just more talented people in the competitive pool!

Yeah, my dream for the FGC is for it to have relatively equal representation of both genders, if only to see what monsters are hiding out there away from tournament play.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Real hurthling! posted:

Women have the same reaction time.
really tho?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4456887/ posted:

Furthermore, male medical students have faster RTs as compared to female medical students for both auditory as well as visual stimuli.

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0026141 posted:

The mean fastest reaction times were 23 ms shorter in men than women (166 ms vs 189 ms, respectively

http://link.springer.com/article/10.3758/BF03208225 posted:

Women were more accurate but slower on the choice task; they had higher reaction times on the mental rotation and the shape-comparison tasks. These latter gender differences interacted significantly with degree of rotation and dissimilarity of the test form, suggesting the presence of gender differences in visual-spatial strategies.

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/001401399185685 posted:

Results demonstrated a near-significant overall reaction time advantage for male participants.

and then even in children

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0885201412000512 posted:

In letters tasks, boys outperform girls in both RT and accuracy. ► In animal drawing tasks boys outperform girls in RT and in accuracy at an angular disparity of 135°.

Luckily there is more to playing fighters than raw reaction times

Zand fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jun 9, 2016

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

punk rebel ecks posted:

Did you even read the article? She specifically said that the harassment came from other FG communities. SGC was the most helpful to her. Though she later stated that she doesn't believe that other FGC are worse than Skullgirls as she assumes that "there are bad apples to be found in any batch" so to speak.

quote:

JS: I’m assuming you were hanging out primarily with the SG community, due to only playing Skullgirls. Is that true?

RG: Yeah. I didn’t interact with anyone else intentionally.

Anyway, not to veer too much off-topic.
There's a lot of poo poo in all games in the FGC that are hostile and discourage to female players, especially at large events, that need to change.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Capcom added 8f of lag to help even the playing field between men and women and we should commend them for it

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
hell is other nerds

Why can't people just be cool and chill

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
Here's a guy being Lei

https://www.facebook.com/ign/videos/10153365925511633/

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

attackmole posted:

hell is other nerds

Why can't people just be cool and chill
literally this: http://www.plausiblydeniable.com/opinion/gsf.html

classic linkage

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Shiki Dan posted:

There's a lot of poo poo in all games in the FGC that are hostile and discourage to female players, especially at large events, that need to change.

But those were people interacting with HER, not the opposite. I'unno.

Also Zand, one of those quotes comes from a paper about sprinter reaction time that concludes by saying "we think the whole difference is because of physical strength required to activate the switch, if it was compensated the reaction times would be similar".

it's not like extreme reaction times are the key factor in making you a good FG player anyway, it's not as twitch-based as an FPS, so even if there's a significative difference you could make it up by having better spacing or just being a setpiece monster.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Are there any female professional top tier LoL players? SC2 has (had? I haven't watched in a while) Scarlet and I can't think of any in DotA.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Endorph posted:

It isn't something that's going to be fixed by ... pretending that Aris is a decent person now because he hasn't talked about assholes that he wants to lick in the past seven minutes.

I agree with your post in general, but I think this is the whole point. I don't care if Aris has a heart of gold deep down or even if he thinks awful stuff, I'm not the thought police. If he projects outwardly mature behavior at events/in visible places online, he's being decent to others in the tourney and that battle is won. I dunno if that's true as I don't pay attention to the guy, but IF he's learned to STFU then that represents a good example - nasties can be in the FGC if they play nice to their fellow humans. We want people to get called out for their bullshit and change their ways as a result.

The FGC has a ton of grey area in the "are they a decent person?" question. People have already mentioned FChamp using gay slurs. I'd like to see that addressed if evidence is caught at an event for sure, but if someone starts posting Twitter screenshots from 2013 I start to feel the slope slipping. There will always be new Arises showing up who will need to learn how to behave, even when (and I do think it's "when") the FGC has grown up as a whole about all of this.

Eventually Noels should be the ones feeling tiny and ostracized, not e.g. women who want to get involved. Glad these incidents are making the rounds.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Zand posted:

kenbot disagrees

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Dias posted:

But those were people interacting with HER, not the opposite. I'unno.

Also Zand, one of those quotes comes from a paper about sprinter reaction time that concludes by saying "we think the whole difference is because of physical strength required to activate the switch, if it was compensated the reaction times would be similar".

it's not like extreme reaction times are the key factor in making you a good FG player anyway, it's not as twitch-based as an FPS, so even if there's a significative difference you could make it up by having better spacing or just being a setpiece monster.

1 of 5

I'm just posting poo poo that I found because I wasn't willing to accept the assertion that there is literally a zero difference between men and women with regards to reaction time, so i typed it into google and this is what I found. I found other papers that treated a faster reaction time in men as mere fact from precedent from other studies as well. I don't think it's a bad thing: for example women are quicker and nimbler fighters and men are large and slow brutes like "brawlers"

I also don't think its a reason to segregate tournaments by genders, but women have way way less competitive experience than men because it is so hard for women to compete in an arena dominated by men for a variety of reasons, systemic sexism being a big factor. Unfortunately the community of people that play fighters together gathered in physical locations in large numbers is mostly men, so for women, despite potentially making up a large amount of the actual players, their participation in female-only tournaments tends to be something of a novelty akin to a show that they are putting on for male participants. And every single womens only fg tourn I've seen has been this way.

Women can compete with men fine tho in fighters. Reaction times aren't the sole deciding factor in competitive play. The top echelon of fighting game players, at least in the USA, is nearly untouchable because of experience, and mostly men. But Ricki is one of them, competing with the best of the best and holding her own fine.

Zand fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jun 9, 2016

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Shiki Dan posted:

Again if you read the article she said it came from strangers. Hence why she said she didn't hang around anyone "intentionally". To add to that, if you were actually at Combo Breaker, you would know that she was walking around the general venue and posing for pictures, not just hanging around the Skullgirls section. Not saying it couldn't have been someone from the SGC, but the pool of potential candidates was as big as all those who were present in the venue those two nights.

Zand posted:

really tho?

and then even in children

Like I said, it is so tiny that it literally makes no difference in a real world game. It is interesting that the study says that while women are "slower" they are also more accurate.

EDIT -Players like Pink Diamond prove that women can compete with men at top levels. She almost won Combobreaker.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jun 9, 2016

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Zand posted:

1 of 5

I'm just posting poo poo that I found because I wasn't willing to accept the assertion that there is literally a zero difference between men and women with regards to reaction time, so i typed it into google and this is what I found. I found other papers that treated a faster reaction time in men as mere fact from precedent from other studies as well. I don't think it's a bad thing: for example women are quicker and nimbler fighters and men are large and slow brutes like "brawlers"

I also don't think its a reason to segregate tournaments by genders, but women have way way less competitive experience than men because it is so hard for women to compete in an arena dominated by men for a variety of reasons, systemic sexism being a big factor. Unfortunately the community of people that play fighters together gathered in physical locations in large numbers is mostly men, so for women, despite potentially making up a large amount of the actual players, their participation in female-only tournaments tends to be something of a novelty akin to a show that they are putting on for male participants. And every single womens only fg tourn I've seen has been this way.

Women can compete with men fine tho in fighters. Reaction times aren't the sole deciding factor in competitive play. The top echelon of fighting game players, at least in the USA, is a nearly untouchable because of experience, and mostly men. But Ricki is one of them, competing with the best of the best and holding her own fine.

Yeah, it's just that I haven't been able to found too many conclusive studies on the matter, so might as well avoid introducing more noise into the discussion, hehe.

You're pretty correct in stating that it's an experience issue, and that the community being mostly male (hyper-masculine males, at that) and events happening at physical locations were somewhat of a deterrent for women to become competitors. I feel like in the next decade or so we'll see a good number of women as top-level ~esports~ competitors, between online play getting better and the gamer culture being deconstructed - which is why I like having these conversations instead of making a frowny face, saying "toxic" and posting memes.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

punk rebel ecks posted:

Again if you read the article she said it came from strangers. Hence why she said she didn't hang around anyone "intentionally". To add to that, if you were actually at Combo Breaker, you would know that she was walking around the general venue and posing for pictures, not just hanging around the Skullgirls section.

Like I said, it is so tiny that it literally makes no difference in a real world game.
surely a single difference in one aspect of play, like reaction time, makes no difference. but a painting is rarely done with a single brush stroke. to get the full picture you must take many aspects of competition in to account if you truly wanted to assess the gender gap in fighting game competitions.

take for example the differences in how men and women view competition, especially with regards to how tournament models tend to drive women away:

http://users.nber.org/~rosenbla/econ311-05/syllabus/murielgender.pdf also at [url posted:

http://web.stanford.edu/~niederle/Niederle.Vesterlund.QJE.2007.pdf[/url]]We conducted controlled experiments to test the hypothesis that men and women react
differently to competitive incentive schemes. We found that when participants are paid a
piece rate there is no significant gender difference in performance. Using tournament
incentives, however, resulted in a significant increase relative to the benchmark in
performance in male participants, but not in female participants, when mixed gender
tournaments were employed. As a result we observe a significant gender gap in
tournaments. We show that this difference is not due to the uncertainty of the payment in
tournaments, through gender differences in risk aversion. To understand a possible reason
for this gender gap we investigate whether women do not show an increase in
performance in competitive environments per se, or only when competing against men.
We ran single sex tournaments where women (and men) still have to perform in a
competitive environment, though now compete only against their own gender. This
results in an increase in mean performance of women and a decrease in the gender gap in
mean performance. Several reasons may account for those results. First let us note that in
all treatments on average men slightly outperform women. This can lead to gender
differences in optimal performance in mixed tournaments. The reason is that men only
face two male competitors, whereas women face three male competitors. There might be
an additional effect that women feel less competent than men (beyond what would be
warranted by the slight male advantage). Our last experiment provides support for the
conjecture that women feel less competent than men in their ability to solve mazes.
The results of our experiments allow for an analysis of the impact of different
incentive schemes when participants are required to provide real effort. We observe a
significant increase in mean performance when moving from a non competitive scheme,
such as a piece rate (or the random payment), to competitive schemes, such as the mixed
and single sex tournaments. Furthermore single sex tournaments are as effective as mixed
tournaments in eliciting performance of all participants and in terms of eliciting high
performance of the winners of the tournaments. Naturally single sex tournaments present
a strong form of affirmative action. The proportion of women among the winners of the
tournaments reflects the gender composition of the participant pool (50 percent), whereas
in mixed tournaments, only around twenty percent of the winners are females. It is
therefore especially notable that this change in composition of the winners comes at no
cost in performance.

Its been a long established fact that women perform poorly in competitive environments relative to their male peers and has been used to explain the difference in math testing results between the two groups. I don't feel like looking up a source tho

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Zand posted:

surely a single difference in one aspect of play, like reaction time, makes no difference. but a painting is rarely done with a single brush stroke. to get the full picture you must take many aspects of competition in to account if you truly wanted to assess the gender gap in fighting game competitions.

take for example the differences in how men and women view competition, especially with regards to how tournament models tend to drive women away:

Its been a long established fact that women perform poorly in competitive environments relative to their male peers and has been used to explain the difference in math testing results between the two groups. I don't feel like looking up a source tho

I have responses toward this, but I feel that this could become a long drawn out ugly discussion. Would be nice to have it as a separate thread however.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

fadam posted:

Are there any female professional top tier LoL players? SC2 has (had? I haven't watched in a while) Scarlet and I can't think of any in DotA.
In NA? There was Remi, but she only made it a few weeks in the LCS before the team switched her out for a whole host of reasons. (renegades was a crappy team, she was kind of a weird lady, the reaction to her was the most toxic thing ever)

And there's a few random ones in other, minor regions. I know of MissV in Singapore.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zand posted:

:biotruths:

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

punk rebel ecks posted:

I have responses toward this, but I feel that this could become a long drawn out ugly discussion. Would be nice to have it as a separate thread however.

this is the fighting game thread. and this is fighting game discussion. i don't think that this is really an ugly discussion at all or that it even has the potential to be that way. it would absolutely turn that way if for some reason, in the face of mountains of evidence to the contrary, anyone taking one of the variety of stances possible to take on this issue were to dig in and refuse to accept truths. I'm of the personal opinion that women can compete on the level of men in fighting games. But I also believe that the FGC has long been a boys club that has at times been hostile to women. I also think that cherrypicked anecdotes on any side of this issue (there are more than two sides btw) are used far too often and extrapolated upon to try to paint, say, the entire USA FGC as Aris or Noel Brown.

The FGC began as a grassroots movement of mostly young men, and the rare women that participated were typically just girlfriends of established players or categorized as "groupies." Also, while we're on the subject on inclusiveness, we could talk about gay players and transgendered players, and how it could be possible that the FGC is accepting of ethnic minorities yet for some reason has longstanding issues with homophobia and fetishistic views of trans people. After all, if we wanna go eSport, all of these issues will need to be discussed at some point. Why not here? In the thread dedicated to fighting games?

Biotruths is a bit of a stretch. There is a large amount of socialization, at least in the USA, that dissuades women and girls from being competitive. I haven't seen any evidence that women, on a biological level, dislike the tournament format.

Zand fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jun 9, 2016

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Zand posted:

Biotruths is a bit of a stretch. There is a large amount of socialization, at least in the USA, that dissuades women and girls from being competitive. I haven't seen any evidence that women, on a biological level, dislike the tournament format.

Yeah, if you came up to me and said "women are naturally less inclined to competition" I'd laugh in your face, but I don't think it's a stretch to say women weren't encouraged to compete (especially against men) for the longest time and you can still see reflexes of that in our society today. A competitive woman is bitchy, shrill, "not feminine".

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zand posted:

yeah, that's pretty fair, but individual women can and do break away from that socialization all the time. once you're aware of it, you can notice it and choose to ignore it. i don't think those studies really show anything other than that socialization exists, and i don't think it's really relevant to bring up in a discussion of women in the fgc? women who choose to participate in the fgc are already kind of breaking away from a lot of socialization in some ways.

i do think it contributes to the lower numbers, but i don't think it's a relevant enough factor to just bust out, and doing so can kind of seem disingenuous.

Zand posted:

the FGC is accepting of ethnic minorities yet for some reason has longstanding issues with homophobia and fetishistic views of trans people.
Honestly, those two things aren't really related. It's not like people made an obvious effort to include racial minorities, either, it's just kind of how the community has always been. You said yourself that it was a grassroots thing, and a lot of the people who were there at the very beginnings of the community, well, weren't white dudes. And the race breakdown varies wildly from game-to-game (KoF)

I don't think it's a case of the community making conscious attempts to be inclusive wrt race, I think it's just a case of things kind of falling into place that way. So it makes sense that, since they weren't really trying to be progressive, they'd be regressive in other areas.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Zand posted:

this is the fighting game thread. and this is fighting game discussion. i don't think that this is really an ugly discussion at all or that it even has the potential to be that way. it would absolutely turn that way if for some reason, in the face of mountains of evidence to the contrary, anyone taking one of the variety of stances possible to take on this issue were to dig in and refuse to accept truths. I'm of the personal opinion that women can compete on the level of men in fighting games. But I also believe that the FGC has long been a boys club that has at times been hostile to women. I also think that cherrypicked anecdotes on any side of this issue (there are more than two sides btw) are used far too often and extrapolated upon to try to paint, say, the entire USA FGC as Aris or Noel Brown.

The FGC began as a grassroots movement of mostly young men, and the rare women that participated were typically just girlfriends of established players or categorized as "groupies." Also, while we're on the subject on inclusiveness, we could talk about gay players and transgendered players, and how it could be possible that the FGC is accepting of ethnic minorities yet for some reason has longstanding issues with homophobia and fetishistic views of trans people. After all, if we wanna go eSport, all of these issues will need to be discussed at some point. Why not here? In the thread dedicated to fighting games?

I feel that there are any few people who describe the fighting game community as nothing but a bunch of Noel Brown's and Dark Prince's. In reality these people are just a few bad apples that you will find in most male dominated competitive communities. That said, I feel that there is a miscommunication occurring, where some feel that when people bring up the topic of harassment that they are attacking the FGC as a whole of engaging in these actions. I feel that when these topics are brought up it is mostly to condone the perpetrating individuals and to let others know that "this does exist, and it does happen, and it is not okay."

Endorph posted:

And the race breakdown varies wildly from game-to-game (KoF)
I find that the more "animu" the game is, the less blacks and hispanics there will be. Guilty Gear is a weird exception though.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jun 9, 2016

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lol at the guy who said men of the FGC are hyper masculine.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

In Training posted:

i mean, he's kind of right. not so much in that they're all super buff body builders or something but they are all kind of fronting? there's a lot of shittalking and egotism and such. Part of that is just it being a competitive environment but still, it's noticeable when you compare it to even other competitive games. If I had to guess I'd say it's a consequence of the fact that matches are one-on-one, quick, and you're sitting right next to the person you're playing against. There's no detachment from the fact that you're stomping a dude, nor is there anything stopping you from just throwing the gauntlet down.

And that's fun, mind, but it does kind of contribute to the environment where a dude can be enraged to the point of beating up a samba de amigo machine.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

In Training posted:

Of course they are, even dweebs can be "macho", or more importantly, act macho. It's all posturing, but it's hyper masculine posturing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

punk rebel ecks posted:

I feel that there are any few people who describe the fighting game community as nothing but a bunch of Noel Brown's and Dark Prince's. In reality these people are just a few bad apples that you will find in most male dominated competitive communities. That said, I feel that there is a miscommunication occurring, where some feel that when people bring up the topic of harassment that they are attacking the FGC as a whole of engaging in these actions. I feel that when these topics are brought up it is mostly to condone the perpetrating individuals and to let others know that "this does exist, and it does happen, and it is not okay."

I find that the more "animu" the game is, the less blacks and hispanics there will be. Guilty Gear is a weird exception though.

When the FGC gets discussed at length on a lot of other sites, people with very low knowledge of the scene still somehow know about the people like Aris, Dark Prince, Noel Browns, etc. These kinds of issues are so so easy to play up for mad clicks on clickbait game news sites that this news travels way faster than anything positive... like the FGC helping Chris Hu rebuild his life after his home was destroyed in a fire, or other instances like helping to pay for funeral expenses of fallen competitors.