Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

Before I start out I'd like to state that the masterful Bobbin Threadbare LP'd the original version a few years ago which is available on the archive: http://lparchive.org/Day-of-the-Tentacle/

So why are you doing it?

Double Fine Productions decided to remaster the game and I think it's worthy of showing off their hard work. All the graphics have been replaced with high definition, hand-drawn artwork. The speech, music and sound effects have also had a remastering too. This is one of my favourite games from my youth, hopefully I can do the game some justice with this version.

So what's this LP all about?

This will be another solo video commentary run. Hopefully this will be an improvement in delivery now I have some more experience under my belt. I said a couple of things in the first video I probably should have saved for here, but I will elaborate a little. My last LP relied heavily on walkthrough's, I played this game a lot in my youth and blasted through the remastered version with ease so things should be smoother. For this LP I will take my time and show off everything I can, if I miss anything then please tell me.

I'm sure many people have already played this. Spoilers are allowed but for those who haven't played this please be courteous and use the {spoiler} tag.

I was intending to cover this but it's already been done and available here http://lparchive.org/Day-of-the-Tentacle/. I remember watching the DOTT LP but completely forgot about the MM portion. If you want to learn more about this game then website pretty much covers everything including different endings and different versions: http://www.maniacmansionfan.50webs.com/index.html

I did record one video which Bobbin Threadbare kindly joined me in, I will leave it uploaded and intact.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Aug 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugsmasher
May 3, 2004

Great memories playing this and Fate of Atlantis all those years ago. Love the look of the remastered version and looking forward to watching the game play out.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

This game is really, really good, but it's crazy that it even exists. It's the sequel to a relatively plot-light game from 6 years earlier, but it retcons a big chunk of it as well, and the main thing that is left intact is the existence of two talking tentacle creatures. All this from a company that was originally conceived for the sole purpose of making videogame movie tie-ins.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

The V.A. for Bernard is perfect for an insufferable nerd. But I have to admit, the HD version of the game with the incoherent perspective is... disconcerting. It's like I'm suffering from vertigo.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I hope you didn't miss my favorite line in the entire game - give Hoagie the dime from the phone's coin return and have him look at it.

This game is one that I played so many times as a kid, I can quote it for almost any situation, and yet I know there are still lots of things I don't know about it. That's my favorite type of game. It also has really good time travel mechanics, which very few games manage to get right.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
The trees at the starting animation have mustaches. I just thought I'd point that out.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I know remastered versions are rarely more than more detailed graphics and updated music, but did they really have to keep in all the awkward loading time pauses and missing sound effects from the original opening? I was really hoping to finally hear that one bird at the start.

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

I'm going to attempt Maniac Mansion along side this if I can get something going that feels right. No speech with minimal music and sound effects means that there's going to be some dead air. I'm not one for long speeches, but I do want to show some back story to Day Of The Tentacle.

Have you considered guest commentary? I haven't played much more of Maniac Mansion than you, but I wouldn't mind sharing my thoughts about it.

SlothfulCobra posted:

This game is really, really good, but it's crazy that it even exists. It's the sequel to a relatively plot-light game from 6 years earlier, but it retcons a big chunk of it as well, and the main thing that is left intact is the existence of two talking tentacle creatures. All this from a company that was originally conceived for the sole purpose of making videogame movie tie-ins.

It doesn't retcon as much of the first game as you might expect. DotT is full of little nods to the original game, especially when it comes to the characters.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Have you considered guest commentary? I haven't played much more of Maniac Mansion than you, but I wouldn't mind sharing my thoughts about it.

Ooh, good point. I played the NES version pretty thoroughly back in the 90s and discovered many of its ins and outs, most of which still apply to the PC version, although I certainly wouldn't ruin the puzzles for you. Let's just say that there's a reason Bernard is the character most people picked, which is probably why they picked him for the protagonist of this one and not the actual main character of the first game.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I know remastered versions are rarely more than more detailed graphics and updated music, but did they really have to keep in all the awkward loading time pauses and missing sound effects from the original opening? I was really hoping to finally hear that one bird at the start.

It doesn't retcon as much of the first game as you might expect. DotT is full of little nods to the original game, especially when it comes to the characters.

I didn't know if it was my system or the game mechanics itself, on my first play through I suffered more slow down than with the actual recording of it. I'd happily collaborate with Maniac Mansion. I know it's a loosely based sequel, but there's some ret-con regarding green tentacle and Ed which DOTT continues. Although green tentacle seems a lot more chilled out in DOFTT

Nidoking posted:

Ooh, good point. I played the NES version pretty thoroughly back in the 90s and discovered many of its ins and outs, most of which still apply to the PC version, although I certainly wouldn't ruin the puzzles for you. Let's just say that there's a reason Bernard is the character most people picked, which is probably why they picked him for the protagonist of this one and not the actual main character of the first game.

I've done some background checks with Maniac Mansion and can understand his popularity. I've also seem some alternate endings

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This episode covers pretty much the rest of Bernard's initial exploration, there's one more character left to talk too and a couple of rooms to look around in. The next couple of videos are going to be pretty much centred around Hoagie which I'm very much looking forward too.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
I'd be a little leary of a hotel that let's some random nerd walk into my room and monlogue at me while i'm asleep.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:

Doseku posted:

I'd be a little leary of a hotel that let's some random nerd walk into my room and monlogue at me while i'm asleep.

As an NPC in an adventure game, you should be relieved that it wasn't something worse.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I said progress has been slow in the video, I managed to make 2% progress with this one:

As you can probably guess, this video features Hoagie in the majority. So far it's the usual affair of talking to everyone who we meet, stealing everything we can and poking at things. The next episode will pretty much be the same affair as there's still three floors that he needs to fully explore, as well as a few characters to talk too.

But before that I'm hoping to start Maniac Mansion, I'm still doing some prep work before I start the first recording.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I'm a little disappointed you didn't try using the tree when Hoagie suggested it. I just tried it, and there's no specific response ("I don't wanna."), but it seemed like the sort of thing they'd have a joke for.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

A couple of notes I'd like to make:

If you don't finish the game fast enough, those spinning newspapers will eventually culminate with "Purple Tentacle Takes Over The World!" or something similar. It's kind of fun watching the progression of it all, plus the implication is that Purple only needed one night to conquer the world.

Second, it's possible to use the Chron-o-Johns manually instead of using the portrait shortcuts, and in fact I did so once as a kind of challenge run. Incidentally, this also means that Laverne has her own versions of the "I'll use the Chron-o-John/There's something in the Chron-o-John!" lines.

PS, did you get that thing I sent you?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Just what the heck is a petard anyway?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Samovar posted:

Just what the heck is a petard anyway?

A bomb. The phrase implies that you've blasted yourself into the air with your own bomb, which is waaaay more fun than when I thought it was some type of clothing in my youth.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

FoolyCharged posted:

A bomb. The phrase implies that you've blasted yourself into the air with your own bomb, which is waaaay more fun than when I thought it was some type of clothing in my youth.

More specifically, a petard was a type of bomb they used for breaching castle walls. You'd have a group of sappers dig under the foundation of the wall, then bring in a bunch of huge bags of explosives. Back in those days explosives weren't exactly stable so once in a while one would go off in the tunnel outside the wall, blowing the top of the tunnel open and the poor sucker holding the bag (or what was left of him) into the air. Therefore, "hoist upon his own petard."

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The main characters are so wonderful. The dorky nerd, the laid back roady and of course Laverne. I hope you'll show off what she says when you try and use the object in her starting inventory, that she always carries with her.

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
Enjoying this a lot so far. This is where the game starts to get really fun, when you start manipulating the past to change the future in the most silly ways. Keep it up!

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Apologies for the delay, I've been having a health issue lately followed by taking a break. I was hoping to have a Maniac Mansion update but that delay is entirely upon myself.

This is the second part of Hoagie's initial exploration with a few puzzles solved in the process. Apparently this episode covers 10% of the entire game. Up next is Laverne, another very... colourful character in her own right.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Hoagie, master flag designer. :patriot:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Actually, while you couldn't fly the British flag upside down with noticeable effect, you could swap the lower quarters with the upper quarters and get a different flag.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Hoagie's suggestions remind me of my friend telling me what was required to make "a good flag" and all I could think was "who loving cares? I want more flags with animals on them, not the same old three colours design"

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Every time I hear Hoagie speak I keep thinking it's ben stein for some reason.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Laverne's turn to explore, this episode is somewhat edited due to failing to remember some things I had done and haven't yet done.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I wonder if Bernard and Hoagie have an understanding to make sure Laverne never forgets to take her meds.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
It's amazing how lovely this remake is. The poor timing of especially the tentacles' jumps when the game had to load each sound from the CD, and the timing of the speech of lieutenant at Purple Tentacle's office to the captions made sense when you consider that the speech version came out around a later than the main game (on a CD where the main game came on around one million floppy disks or so). I'm sure the delays are coded into the game files to make the original game play out properly, but it was annoying then and it is annoying today. They really should have retimed that and broken up the subtitles to better match the speech. The only thing the remake did was putting all graphics thru a smoothing filter. Running the original game is even trivial today with ScummVM.

At the same time, it's incredible how good the original game was; it still holds up 100% today, and there's an incredible amount of content that most would miss. Most of this episode could pretty much be skipped by immediately getting Laverne's costume. All of the talking is pretty much just world-building and hints. The game has an amazing amount of this and at the same time hints it is there for you to explore on replays.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I like how using a can opener sounds like a slide whistle.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

There are some animation problems, true, but I love the voices. I wish these characters got the Monkey Island treatment and got a dozen sequels all expanding on their personalities and escapades.

Who's your favorite? Mine is Laverne. You can tell that she loves what she does.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

klafbang posted:

It's amazing how lovely this remake is. The poor timing of especially the tentacles' jumps when the game had to load each sound from the CD, and the timing of the speech of lieutenant at Purple Tentacle's office to the captions made sense when you consider that the speech version came out around a later than the main game (on a CD where the main game came on around one million floppy disks or so). I'm sure the delays are coded into the game files to make the original game play out properly, but it was annoying then and it is annoying today. They really should have retimed that and broken up the subtitles to better match the speech. The only thing the remake did was putting all graphics thru a smoothing filter. Running the original game is even trivial today with ScummVM.

At the same time, it's incredible how good the original game was; it still holds up 100% today, and there's an incredible amount of content that most would miss. Most of this episode could pretty much be skipped by immediately getting Laverne's costume. All of the talking is pretty much just world-building and hints. The game has an amazing amount of this and at the same time hints it is there for you to explore on replays.

I wouldn't say it's lovely, there's a fair amount they could have improved upon but I think it's pretty good for a number of reasons. My only real gripe is their replaced SCUMM verb system. I don't get their logic with only having one option on certain items but still retaining numerous others that give the same result for others. I guess with the tentacle jumps they probably wanted to stay as faithful as they could to the original, personally I didn't even give the jumps any attention. Also the subtitles skipping is something that should have been fixed before it even hit beta.

Yeah a lot of dialogue can be skipped, especially if you know what you're doing. On my first playthrough of the remake I skipped speaking to numerous characters completely unless it was for game progression.

If anyone doesn't know yet, the Full Throttle remake has been announced and they're wanting people's input on it: http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewforum/86/

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

paradoxGentleman posted:

Who's your favorite? Mine is Laverne. You can tell that she loves what she does.
She sure does. :magical:

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

So if you don't pick up the crank as Bernie, does it rust or something by Laverne's time period?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

fractalairduct posted:

So if you don't pick up the crank as Bernie, does it rust or something by Laverne's time period?
It's just not there.

Which is strange considering someone is hoisting that flag everyday. But maybe they have some regulations that require the flag person to always carry the crank with them so no terrorists can access and taint the flag or whatever.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I like the fact that though Purple Tentacle has enslaved all humans, he's still a true, re-blooded (or ichored, whatever) patriot.

:911:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

If anyone doesn't know yet, the Full Throttle remake has been announced and they're wanting people's input on it: http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewforum/86/

I'm not putting my lips on that.

paradoxGentleman posted:

I prefer Hoagie's wave of destruction caused primarily by him nonchalantly bumbling around and annoying people.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Many thanks to Bobbin Threadbare for being part of this, also for patient and professional. As for myself, I should have done some preparation beforehand.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jun 12, 2016

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Most of the kids in Maniac Mansion have some kind of unique talent, but Razor and Sid are identical in every way I'm aware of and Jeff's talent is fixing the phone, which Bernard can also do. The only disadvantage to Bernard is that he can't approach Green Tentacle in the hallway. There is, by the way, only one way to get rid of Green, with two variations. The only thing that varies from character to character is that Bernard can't do it. There's really only one major puzzle whose solution varies between characters and a couple of optional things that specific characters can do, one of which even has a purpose.

There is an ending with a chat show. You can't get it in this playthrough.

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

its funny, i remember growing up trying to play this game, back before this newfangled internet, some friends saying "Oh yeah, only a few of the characters can actually win, some groups just cant!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Every kid except Dave and Jeff has a way to solve the puzzle, so whichever third kid you brought can do it. There might be a way for Jeff to do it, but I've never heard of one, and Dave is basically a placeholder. I always used to get him sent to the dungeon first thing to let the other kids out if they got caught, until I realized that waiting on the porch was a much better way for him to do nothing as long as nobody got caught.

• Locked thread