Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

That said, I feel that there is a miscommunication occurring, where some feel that when people bring up the topic of harassment that they are attacking the FGC as a whole of engaging in these actions.

Gamers in general do this constantly. Anita Sarkeesian says there are problematic things in video games, nerds start crying about how this means that she wants to censor and ban all video games. Gotta love your hobbies unconditionally, nothing less is allowed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah I guess I just don't associate posturing of that nature with masculinity but I suppose that's what they're trying to do

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Zand posted:

When the FGC gets discussed at length on a lot of other sites, people with very low knowledge of the scene still somehow know about the people like Aris, Dark Prince, Noel Browns, etc. These kinds of issues are so so easy to play up for mad clicks on clickbait game news sites that this news travels way faster than anything positive... like the FGC helping Chris Hu rebuild his life after his home was destroyed in a fire, or other instances like helping to pay for funeral expenses of fallen competitors.

I think it's more the lack of FGC coverage that made people defensive. The FGC are still third-rate citizens in the world of esports, but it's gotten better these last two, three years. However, in the recent past, you wouldn't see a word about the FGC on gaming publications...unless it was a blow-up. I mean, you would know, you've been around for longer that I have.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Zand posted:

When the FGC gets discussed at length on a lot of other sites, people with very low knowledge of the scene still somehow know about the people like Aris, Dark Prince, Noel Browns, etc. These kinds of issues are so so easy to play up for mad clicks on clickbait game news sites that this news travels way faster than anything positive... like the FGC helping Chris Hu rebuild his life after his home was destroyed in a fire, or other instances like helping to pay for funeral expenses of fallen competitors.

All the more reason for people who are involved to have this conversation, really.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I hope the FGC remains the third tier of eSports because I hate the weird corporate culture of the high tier competitive video games

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost
i am macho as gently caress u all! ~ kiss bicep and hugs kill la kill body pillow ~

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

In Training posted:

I hope the FGC remains the third tier of eSports because I hate the weird corporate culture of the high tier competitive video games

I don't disagree, even the "cleaned-up" FGC events are still less...stiff than other esports. CEO and RBK have the right idea, don't go professional sports if you wanna have more polished events, go pro-wrestling/UFC. It fits the community and the games better.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

on the other hand, high tier competitive games have ways of actually punishing and blocking problematic players

there's a trade-off there

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Munsun posted:

i am macho as gently caress u all! ~ kiss bicep and hugs kill la kill body pillow ~

*hefts Hori Fighting Commander 4 pad threateningly* BRUH IF THAT GIRL ON THE DAKI AIN'T THE RIGHT WAIFU BEST BELIEVE YOU FINNA CATCH SOME HANDS

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

AnonSpore posted:

*hefts Hori Fighting Commander 4 pad threateningly* BRUH IF THAT GIRL ON THE DAKI AIN'T THE RIGHT WAIFU BEST BELIEVE YOU FINNA CATCH SOME HANDS

please don't quote r/kappa without a source

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
There should be a distinction made between the American FGC and, say, Japan, if we're talking about hypermasculinity.

EDIT: Also, re: anime games and whether or not you have more nonwhite players, I've generally noticed a greater correlation than the opposite - even excluding GG, but that's just me.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Endorph posted:

on the other hand, high tier competitive games have ways of actually punishing and blocking problematic players

Can't deny that for sure, but I still hope for community self policing that will get better.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Who is everyone liking in Revelator? It feels like everybody I've seen is all about Raven

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

bhsman posted:

There should be a distinction made between the American FGC and, say, Japan, if we're talking about hypermasculinity.

I mean, we can't tell poo poo about the Japanese FGC other than the few breadcrumbs we get from Americans living there. I can guarantee you the stupid posturing, homophobia and "boys' club" feel is exactly the same for Latin America, tho.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
a nerd is a nerd is a nerd

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Endorph posted:

yeah when i talk to my friends who are involved in PC competitive games they're sorta blown away at the fact that the FGC has no like, central ruling body. it's just a completely foreign concept to them, where you can't really be "banned" like you could from most other games. the grassroots nature of the FGC is wonderful and getting to play irl with such a huge variety of people is something i never want to see go, but obviously there's advantages to having someone who can actually say "calling people faggots isn't acceptable and we're issuing a ban".

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

gently caress the police!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

fgc competitors should have to bring their moms to tournaments. increase attendance by women and curtail bad behavior at the same time.

In Training posted:

Who is everyone liking in Revelator? It feels like everybody I've seen is all about Raven

i'm liking leo now that i got him. never bought him in sign.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I was kinda interested in learning Johnny until I found out he was the best character in Revelator. :goleft:

Dias posted:

I mean, we can't tell poo poo about the Japanese FGC other than the few breadcrumbs we get from Americans living there. I can guarantee you the stupid posturing, homophobia and "boys' club" feel is exactly the same for Latin America, tho.

Take it with a grain of salt, but when Art visited Japan his impression was that American FGC is big on blowups and dominance whereas Japan leans towards helping each other out and proliferation of tech. Not making a judgement either way, but it was interesting to read about.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Lemon-Lime posted:

I'm glad Capcom made a smart decision and decided to just use PSN/Steam to sell their SF5 DLC instead of having some idiot convoluted in-game RM store.

Hopefully, they can spend the money they would have spent implementing that on fixing their rollback implementation.

Sounds to me that Sony told them to stfu and fix their game

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Dias posted:

Of course they are, even dweebs can be "macho", or more importantly, act macho. It's all posturing, but it's hyper masculine posturing.

It's the most annoying part of the scene imo, nerds trying to act hard about video games is pretty embarrassing.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Sounds to me that Sony told them to stfu and fix their game

sony stands to make money on sales through psn. idk if they care about sfv after february since they probably got all the console sales they were going to get from it already but they stand to make a lot of money now with this change of course and i can see them getting more interested

Remilia
Jan 4, 2013

attackmole posted:

It's the most annoying part of the scene imo, nerds trying to act hard about video games is pretty embarrassing.

Being good at a video game makes you hardcore apparently.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

attackmole posted:

it's one thing if you're just shittalking a little but actually trying to seem like a badass is the lamest thing

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The only thing I know about Japan FGC was that ridiculous event that ArcSys put together (I think?) that was the Gods of Guilty Gear vs The Street Fighter Champions or w/e and they had a card and the equivalent of a ring announcer that would start of matches and entrances. That was awesome

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Endorph posted:

it's one thing if you're just shittalking a little but actually trying to seem like a badass is the lamest thing

Oh yeah a lil shittalking is all well and good I've just seen, it's just a fine line that's not easily well defined. But if you're a skinny white dude with glasses posturing like a dude about to rap battle while yelling expletives you've probably crossed it.

Context, etc.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the only thing i know about japan fgc is the ridiculous 50 vs 50 guilty gear crew battle i saw once

this johnny went through like 18 people before dying to some rando potemkin, it owned

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Someone light the Fereydun signal

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

punk rebel ecks posted:

I feel that there are any few people who describe the fighting game community as nothing but a bunch of Noel Brown's and Dark Prince's.

I know you're kinda new to this but you would be surprised. There are people on these very forums who stumbled upon a stream from Evo, saw what they described as "a bunch of thugs," and turned it off to watch Minecraft or whatever.

I don't really care to see the FGC go full e-sports because every time someone comes along and tries to force it it ends up feeling really fake and stupid, but it's really not a great look to outsiders when the reason they hear about anything having to do with competitive fighting games is that some bag of poo poo like Dark Prince or Aris is doing something stupid.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

they said the recent special edition releases were to see which version of DMC people liked more, classic or lovely ninja theory.

then they made the good one digital only while releasing the lovely one physical and digital. i'm hoping for a miracle here but idk DmC2 incoming

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It is not a sequel to the reboot nobody likes when Capcom just put out a pachinko machine of the actual dmc style and had the special edition of DMC4 make up a good majority of their sales last year

Like you would have to be actually retarded to see that and go "oh man reboot sequel" unless you just have negative faith in Capcom, which I cannot say I also don't

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

fgc competitors should have to bring their moms to tournaments. increase attendance by women and curtail bad behavior at the same time.

Well I guess that rules out Noel Brown, obviously a framed picture hasn't been cutting it.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

FanaticalMilk posted:

Well I guess that rules out Noel Brown, obviously a framed picture hasn't been cutting it.

drat, son.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

bhsman posted:

EDIT: Also, re: anime games and whether or not you have more nonwhite players, I've generally noticed a greater correlation than the opposite - even excluding GG, but that's just me.
So anime games have more minority players or less IYO? Sorry the post wasn't that clear to me.

In Training posted:

Dias posted:

I don't disagree, even the "cleaned-up" FGC events are still less...stiff than other esports. CEO and RBK have the right idea, don't go professional sports if you wanna have more polished events, go pro-wrestling/UFC. It fits the community and the games better.

I agree. I like the whole human aspect of the FGC, so to speak. Going to a tourney feels more like a get together than an outing if that makes sense. There is commercialization to be sure, but it is very self-aware. The fact that no company really "owns" many tournaments gives off a grassroots vibe.

Dias posted:

I always wondered what the Latin American FGC is like. I'm imaging the American FGC on steroids with lots of King of Fighters players.

Zand posted:

I agree. For example, with the recent Grabgate at Combo Breaker many outsiders heard about the event, but didn't hear about the outcry in the FGC and how well the case was handled.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jun 9, 2016

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
modeling after ufc is the most natural model yeah

the most emotionally intense matches ive seen have been massive money matches in marvel. tournaments should basically filter out the fluff so we can figure out who to put on the big screen. have sponsors front like tens of thousands of dollars and the winner gets the losers sponsor cash (or some better incentivized system). now backing a winner is free advertising.

anime was right fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jun 9, 2016

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Endorph posted:

i mean, he's kind of right. not so much in that they're all super buff body builders or something but they are all kind of fronting? there's a lot of shittalking and egotism and such. Part of that is just it being a competitive environment but still, it's noticeable when you compare it to even other competitive games. If I had to guess I'd say it's a consequence of the fact that matches are one-on-one, quick, and you're sitting right next to the person you're playing against. There's no detachment from the fact that you're stomping a dude, nor is there anything stopping you from just throwing the gauntlet down.

And that's fun, mind, but it does kind of contribute to the environment where a dude can be enraged to the point of beating up a samba de amigo machine.

How would the FCG compare to competitive Madden, for instance? That's an instance of one on one and also played next to each other in a tournament setting, and a more fair comparison than FPS/MOBAs which have the team aspect.

I'd argue it's less the activity itself and more the urge of our stupid primate brains to beat our chests and prove we're the baddest motherfucker in the jungle, but I've got no academic research to back that up.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

punk rebel ecks posted:

I always wondered what the Latin American FGC is like. I'm imaging the American FGC on steroids with lots of King of Fighters players.

Eh, maybe back in the day. We model ourselves after the NA FGC pretty hard, and Capcom games are the most popular ones. KOF XIII had a surprisingly small community for being the "new" KOF game, mostly because it wasn't 2002. Other than that, we're all online warriors, between a small community and in Brazil's case, a fuckin' huge country. Also, I think arcades around here died faster than in America, the early 00s saw the rise of "LAN houses" and everyone wanted to play CS all day erry day instead of playing punchmans. Doesn't help that CPS-3/Naomi cabs were almost unicorn-like in their rarity.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

punk rebel ecks posted:

So anime games have more minority players or less IYO? Sorry the post wasn't that clear to me.

Sorry, I meant to say that - from my perspective, which obviously can be flawed - I tend to notice more minority players when it comes to anime games.

bad metaphors
Nov 6, 2014

attackmole posted:

Well, there are degrees of fronting. It's easy to point out "thuggery" but you also have the sort of people who complain about top tier to their clique and wear nerf buff patch shirts in public, or the person who bitches about how normie scrubs don't have the drive to get good and also he's a member of a thriving offline scene and the friend of multiple top players, or the player who mocks a sol for using grand viper but can't 6P riot stomp to save his life. It's these little things and attitudes adding up that I find more annoying imo. Not to say you're wrong tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
can we talk about kof or something