Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

DIVA doesn't have quite the same ring as Samaritan or the Machine:

http://www.defenseone.com/technology/2016/06/new-us-spy-software-could-soon-spot-your-suspicious-behavior-live-video/128852/

quote:

But Deep Intermodal Video Analytics, or DIVA, a research project out of the Office of the Director of National Intelligence, will attempt to automatically detect suspicious activities, with the help of live video pouring in through multiple camera feeds.

ODNI’s Intelligence Advanced Research Projects Agency is gathering academics and private sector experts for a July 12 “Proposers’ Day,” in anticipation of releasing a work solicitation.

“The DIVA program will produce a common framework and software prototype for activity detection, person/object detection and recognition across a multicamera network,” IARPA officials said in a synopsis of the project published June 3. “The impact will be the development of tools for forensic analysis, as well as real-time alerting for user-defined threat scenarios.”

Crusader fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jun 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

LentThem posted:

This episode had a lot of moments where it felt like the writing was doing too much WINK WINK GET IT?? at the audience; stuff like the new Irrelevants quoting Finch's opening credits monologue and Reese explaining why he didn't want to be Secret Service.

Reese was telling a joke.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Ice9 supervirus:
Willing to bet it was written by Arthur Claypool, during his stay at the nsa. And that ice9 was sequestered at the army base in case of cyber-war.
If this is true, the supervirus would have similar internal "coding markers" to Samaritan's source code itself.
This is a real thing, but a massive derail to explain fully.
tldr version: it is possible to identify the author of computer programs via source code analysis in the real world.

Basically, if Arthur Claypool did create ice9, it could register as an 99.99999996% match to samaritan source code.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

pik_d posted:

I'm pretty sure he was retrieving it. Like there was some place in Texas that had all the computer viruses and he had to break in and get the baddest one.

I don't know if there's some publicly-known official repository, but I'm pretty sure the government does hold onto computer viruses for study the same way the CDC does with actual viruses.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

It would be interesting to see how Samaritan/Greer justify the zero point zero reporting to the US govt, maybe backdating fake reports/records a la what Finch did with Shaw's Team Relevant partner. Or some other thing, which we probably won't see due to the streamlined final season.
A good lie probably: "We don't spy on the members of the government and their close family that much, that would be kinda impolite. So do you want us to monitor everyone now?"

SirMonkeyButt posted:

Aside from a mid-season cancellation, I've never seen a series openly shat upon by their network like this.
Firefly. But yeah that kind of bullshit generally involve Fox or Cartoon Network.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jun 9, 2016

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Ooh! Are we messing with Adora?

SirMonkeyButt posted:

Aside from a mid-season cancellation, I've never seen a series openly shat upon by their network like this.

12 Monkeys is a good and cool show.

Wait, no, there's one worse, even though the network is in the right here:
700 Club

Senerio fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 9, 2016

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SirMonkeyButt posted:

Legend of Korra got thrashed about in its final two seasons by Nickelodeon something lovely too. But Nick is also a Viacom network (as is CBS), so this kind of scuzzy executive fuckery is just all in the family.

Another big factor in PoI's unending network dickery is CBS's president, Les "Donald Trump will be a disaster for America, but great for my TV ratings" Moonves; a man who has stated in multiple public forums that he hates science fiction television, and who the casts and crews of Star Treks Voyager and Enterprise lived on constant fear of him cancelling their shows out of spite while he was top dog at UPN.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Korra was bad and had terrible ratings though.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

It got good around the time Nick started loving around with it, actually.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bruceski posted:

I don't know if there's some publicly-known official repository, but I'm pretty sure the government does hold onto computer viruses for study the same way the CDC does with actual viruses.

Probably that massive Utah NSA data center

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I just realized something. Remember back in the second episode of this season, where the Machine is recovering and is trying to identify Finch by going through a list of its assets. Wanna guess whose names appear in that list?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Senerio posted:

It got good around the time Nick started loving around with it, actually.

That doesn't matter, damage was done by the crappy start.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

That doesn't matter, damage was done by the crappy start.

If you say so.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The comparison Harold makes with Midgley is hilariously bad. Midgley might not have known about CFC, he drat sure knew about Leaded Gasoline when get got Lead poisoning... twice. When marketing TEL he made all effort to ensure it didn't mention Lead. Dude was never about saving the world, he was a terrible scientist out making a buck when there were better alternatives to Lead but pursued it because of higher profit margins.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Midgley_Jr.

I am not sure while the writers picked Midgley as Harold is almost his opposite. Harold knows he is dong bad things with good intentions. He knows he is breaking his own rules. He drat well aware of the damage he is doing when he goes off the deep end. Harold also doesn't seem to realise that if not his loving ASI, another would come in time or Sammy would have been activated without opposition. The only thing I can think off why they picked Midgley is the sheer level of damage he caused.

That said, I would cut him a fair bit of slack since he doesn't want to justify his actions and is inherently going to beat himself up as it is his nature.

Edited for Lead induced retardation.

oohhboy fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jun 9, 2016

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

oohhboy posted:

The comparison Harrod makes with Midgley is hilariously bad. Midgley might not have known about CFC, he drat sure knew about Leaded Gasoline when get got Lead poisoning... twice. When marketing TEL he made all effort to ensure it didn't mention Lead. Dude was never about saving the world, he was a terrible scientist out making a buck when there were better alternatives to Lead but pursued it because of higher profit margins.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Midgley_Jr.

I am not sure while the writers picked Midgley as Harrod is almost his opposite. Harrod knows he is dong bad things with good intentions. He knows he is breaking his own rules. He drat well aware of the damage he is doing when he goes off the deep end. Harrod also doesn't seem to realise that if not his loving ASI, another would come in time or Sammy would have been activated without opposition. The only thing I can think off why they picked Midgley is the sheer level of damage he caused.

That said, I would cut him a fair bit of slack since he doesn't want to justify his actions and is inherently going to beat himself up as it is his nature.

He is called Harold

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The reason he went with the freon story is intention. He's making the comparison of his building the Machine having unintended consequences.

quote:

Harold: Justice is important, and all my crimes have gone unpunished. Even you.

Machine: You think of me as a crime?

Harold: Perhaps.

Machine: But I was created to do good.

Harold: Intentions can be a fickle business. :words:.

It's not him talking about himself/the Machine now, it's him talking about the Machine then.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's still sort of silly since he felt even back then the consequences of what he was doing could be dire, that's why he boxed the machine in, to protect humanity from her and to try to ensure that she didn't run rampant like the first 40 he had to kill. Harold knew what he was getting into, Midgley didn't if you take CFC in isolation.

I would have gone with Oppenheimer or the inventor of DDT as an insecticide Paul Hermann Müller.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

Okay which one of you called out the invisible ear pieces because now I can not watch the show without noticing this. GRRrrrrrrrrrrRRr

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Haha, sorry.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Mraagvpeine posted:

I just realized something. Remember back in the second episode of this season, where the Machine is recovering and is trying to identify Finch by going through a list of its assets. Wanna guess whose names appear in that list?

Go on

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'm guessing it's our new Team Irrelevant.

I actually do remember seeing Harper's name in there. Also that dude who was John's predecessor.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

docbeard posted:

I'm guessing it's our new Team Irrelevant.

I actually do remember seeing Harper's name in there. Also that dude who was John's predecessor.

Here's the clip in question from the NYCC 2015 preview. The Machine cycles through the following people during its facial recognition meltdown:

• ADMIN: Finch, Harold
  • AUX_ADMIN: Ingram, Nathan
  • PRIMARY ASSET: Reese, John
  • ANALOG INTERFACE: Groves, Samantha
  • ASSET: Shaw, Sameen
  • ASSET: Carter, Joss
  • ASSET: Fusco, Lionel
  • ASSET: Dillinger, Rick
  • ASSET: Rose, Harper
  • ASSET: Greenfield, Jason
  • POV GAP
  • ASSET: Casey, Daniel
  • ASSET: Daizo, Tatsuro

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Giving a show five seasons and a definite end point to write towards: a back alley hacksaw abortion by those chucklefucks at CBS.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It's kinda sad that they let the machine off its leash so close to the end, it would have made last season a lot more enjoyable to me.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Hollismason posted:

Okay which one of you called out the invisible ear pieces because now I can not watch the show without noticing this. GRRrrrrrrrrrrRRr

I enjoy trying to figure out when they do or don't need to slap themselves in the ear before talking to each other, or when it's an open channel and they're just listening to what's going on around the other person

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Guy Mann posted:

Giving a show five seasons and a definite end point to write towards: a back alley hacksaw abortion by those chucklefucks at CBS.

CBS didn't so much give them a definite endpoint as the writers saw the vague writing on the wall and wrote the end and told their audience it would be the series finale before CBS ever actually announced to anyone, including the show crew itself, that they were cancelled. And supposedly still mandated that the shortened season retain the procedural element instead of going full serialization. (And CBS waiting til the last minute to cancel it effectively meant they couldn't shop the show around to other networks while the cast and crew would have been mostly retained.)

And all of that has come from interviews with Nolan and Plageman themselves.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

LentThem posted:

I enjoy trying to figure out when they do or don't need to slap themselves in the ear before talking to each other, or when it's an open channel and they're just listening to what's going on around the other person

It's Metal Gear Solid logic.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

LentThem posted:

I figured it's just a concession for TV to remind the viewer that they're going to be speaking directly with each other over the phone. They've established more than once that they're always listening, but you need a visual reminder for TV that like "Okay, Reese is now going to stop talking to the person in front of him and start talking to Finch directly" so the viewer doesn't go "wait what why is he saying that to ohhhhhhh he's talking to Finch now".

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Slight cast spoilers I guess?

https://twitter.com/TheMattFowler/status/741391657040543746

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Eh, Control getting wrecked by Samaritan and black bagged off to an ignominious death was the perfect way for her to go out. Especially after Crtl-Alt-Del.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

nine-gear crow posted:

Here's the clip in question from the NYCC 2015 preview. The Machine cycles through the following people during its facial recognition meltdown:

• ADMIN: Finch, Harold
  • AUX_ADMIN: Ingram, Nathan
  • PRIMARY ASSET: Reese, John
  • ANALOG INTERFACE: Groves, Samantha
  • ASSET: Shaw, Sameen
  • ASSET: Carter, Joss
  • ASSET: Fusco, Lionel
  • ASSET: Dillinger, Rick
  • ASSET: Rose, Harper
  • ASSET: Greenfield, Jason
  • POV GAP
  • ASSET: Casey, Daniel
  • ASSET: Daizo, Tatsuro

John being primary is a bit odd.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Hollismason posted:

Wait who is Groves? Cause he is Analog interface which is kind of a big deal right.

Also John being primary is a bit odd.

Root's real name is Samantha Groves. John's been Primary Asset since the beginning, since he works for Harold directly, I think.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

Echophonic posted:

Root's real name is Samantha Groves.

Yeah I remembered

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Hollismason posted:

Wait who is Groves? Cause he is Analog interface which is kind of a big deal right.

Also John being primary is a bit odd.

Root's real name is Samantha Groves. Or at least what the Machine considers "real", like Reese's name.

e: beaten twice over

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I'm pretty sure it's her actual name, the Machine led them to it and everything. It's also not a computing or mathematics pioneer name, so it's not one of her aliases. Caroline Turing, Jane von Neumann, etc.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Echophonic posted:

I'm pretty sure it's her actual name, the Machine led them to it and everything. It's also not a computing or mathematics pioneer name, so it's not one of her aliases. Caroline Turing, Jane von Neumann, etc.

I'm pretty sure it is a direct reference to Leslie Groves who ran the Manhattan Project.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

SirMonkeyButt posted:

This happens all the drat time. The first example that comes to mind is Farscape - the crew found out they were canceled (despite being promised another season) with a handful of episodes left in the current season to be shot. The show ended with the main characters getting killed and 'To Be Continued' because they had to hack together some sort of ending at the last minute.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

monster on a stick posted:

I'm pretty sure it is a direct reference to Leslie Groves who ran the Manhattan Project.

Could be, but I'm still pretty confident it's her real name. It's not like Reese where everyone's aware it's not his actual name.

Fringe got jerked around pretty hard for multiple seasons and I think it suffered for it. The Fringe thread dogpiled me for saying it, but I always felt like the back half of season 4 is jumbled and weird because they had to have some sort of acceptable ending in case they didn't get 5. Someone gets psychically pranked to death with a tire iron, for god's sake.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jun 11, 2016

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Samantha Groves is her real name, there's never been any doubt about it. It was the name the librarian married to the man who murdered her childhood crush used to refer to her. Root hates being called that though since she dropped it after Hannah died and Harold insists on calling her miss Groves to pull her back to before she hated humanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

THF13 posted:

It's not a irrelevant number, but the Machine no longer has a team to handle relevant threats. Samaritan has been dealing with the relevant numbers but didn't in this case for reasons we don't know.

Has anyone collected a bunch of high-res images of the Machine working?

• Locked thread