Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

I bought 10 indoor cycling sessions on Groupon and I'm too intimidated to go to them. I hate gyms.

I don't get being intimidated by gyms. I guess it's because I've gone since I was young or just never went to a place full of assholes. Everybody goes nowadays, they're so cheap compared to what they used cost. Like the other guy said, you don't really draw attention unless you're rude or stupid sexy flanders.

colas has a new favorite as of 17:30 on Jun 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

blarzgh posted:

I bought a refurbished Acer 27" 4k monitor for like $180. Will I regret this?

The monitors I'm okay with as they are just repackaged parts from other companies. It's the design of their laptops especially that griefs me, as they are not designed to be repairable.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Cool, thanks

Fozzie Bear
Jun 4, 2000

Rockin' out at the god damn bank

Mu Zeta posted:

I bought 10 indoor cycling sessions on Groupon and I'm too intimidated to go to them. I hate gyms.

Do it, or not actually, cause indoor cycling sucks, go cycling outside and save the 10 sessions for the winter/rainy days.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Super duper stoked:

Managed to unload my D7000 and lenses yesterday, first thing after getting in the door was ordering this stuff. Tomorrow can't come soon enough!

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

treiz01 posted:

The monitors I'm okay with as they are just repackaged parts from other companies. It's the design of their laptops especially that griefs me, as they are not designed to be repairable.

i tried to replace just the keyboard on a 4 year old acer laptop the other day and completely broke every usb port and trackpad

i have replaced literally over 100 laptop keyboards because it is genuinely the easiest thing to fix but acer for some reason thinks it's okay to put it behind a bunch of other poo poo

gently caress acer

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Mu Zeta posted:

1 word for you to motivate you. BUTTS. Butts galore. I'm the creeper guy in the back.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Picked up a hammer drill to help put up a pergola on our new patio. Needed something to be able to drill into concrete footers and our block construction house. I've tried to drill into the block a few times now and it's been a huge pain with my battery powered drill, even with a masonry bit.

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

FordPRefectLL posted:

i tried to replace just the keyboard on a 4 year old acer laptop the other day and completely broke every usb port and trackpad

i have replaced literally over 100 laptop keyboards because it is genuinely the easiest thing to fix but acer for some reason thinks it's okay to put it behind a bunch of other poo poo

gently caress acer

Hahaha right?? The last one I tried to fix had the keyboard held in place by a bunch of plastic grommets that I had to break off to access the keyboard. Then the new keyboard dipped into the chassis because there was nothing to hold it up :/

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
No pictures but I thrifted:
-two 90s-rear end OP t shirts
-weirdly well fitting Hawaiian shirt
-Notre Dame dad hat
-stack of cassette tapes

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Years ago I bought a couple cheap clearance Acer laptops. One literally melted the frame around the screen, the other's hinges fell apart despite it living on a desk and sitting open most of the time.

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

PCOS Bill posted:

Years ago I bought a couple cheap clearance Acer laptops. One literally melted the frame around the screen, the other's hinges fell apart despite it living on a desk and sitting open most of the time.

I made the mistake of paying money for an Acer laptop that I intended to play games on. Woe is me.

Happy ending tho I have a real gaming pc now.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

treiz01 posted:

I made the mistake of paying money for an Acer laptop that I intended to play games on. Woe is me.

Happy ending tho I have a real gaming pc now.

Haha, yeah, that's pretty bad. I only bought the two for surfing the internet and writing on the go

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

UCHINO MARSHMALLOW PLUS SOFT TOUCH COTTON BATH TOWEL, GREY

Cause it was half price, gonna give it a whirl tonight

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Coredump posted:

I bought the water filter pitcher recommended by rhesweethome. Using it to fill up my ice cube trays and hydration pack. I've noticed my water has less of a chlorine taste already so that's a win.

I picked up the on-faucet version and love it - the water here is pretty good but chlorine taste, however faint, still sucks. Filters made a HUGE difference, I do the same for making ice, refilling my water bottle or making iced tea :)

colas
Feb 14, 2007

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Coredump posted:

I bought the water filter pitcher recommended by rhesweethome. Using it to fill up my ice cube trays and hydration pack. I've noticed my water has less of a chlorine taste already so that's a win.

Similar to:
https://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Bea...ng+programmable
Except mine is programmable and dispenses hot, cold, and room temp. The programming is to tell it when to not bother heating or cooling (over night, usually) to save power.

And these get delivered at about $7 each.

I pay ~$30/mo (I rent out a spare bedroom and we both drink LOTS of water) for fresh, easy, distilled hot and cold water 24/7. It's pretty kickass. You can rent a cooler from the water company for ~$10/mo. if you want to try out the service first. I doubt they make you sign a contract.

I've had it for years and it's one of my most favorite things.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Went to a brazilian steakhouse. Got the meat sweats.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

There need to be more Brazilian steakhouses. The one I've been to is like $20 but comes with a full bottle of wine, tea, or soda.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
15lbs of honey.

Gonna make some mead. Which is funny because alcohol doesn't mix well with me.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

PCOS Bill posted:

15lbs of honey.

Fruited or just straight up honey? What fruits? How much per gallon?

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

PCOS Bill posted:

15lbs of honey.

Which yeast(s) are you going with? I use Red Star champagne yeast for my mead, because those little fuckers have a higher tolerance for alcohol than I do. They just. Keep. Working. Until I have rocket fuel, which, mixed 50/50 with ginger ale over ice, makes a splendid summer buzz, pun very much intended. Best of luck!

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

New glasses. 800 €. I hate my lovely eyes.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Decius posted:

New glasses. 800 €. I hate my lovely eyes.

You didn't have to get an adidas branded frame with supercarbonate antiscrach negative glare protection lenses.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

SEKCobra posted:

You didn't have to get an adidas branded frame with supercarbonate antiscrach negative glare protection lenses.

The frames aren't even that expensive - 200 € (and they are locallay made by a company for Adidas), but astigmatism and being cross-eyed really drives the price up, since the lenses have to be custom grinded.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

absolem posted:

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/tex-yoda

Id really like one of these, even though it's a 60%

Looks pretty neat but unfortunately the 60% kills it for me - I could survive without the numpad but not having the proper cursor or function keys makes it quite useless. Not to mention it's two hundred bucks.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

AnimalChin posted:

I was under the assumption drinking distilled water constantly was bad for you. :iiam:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

djfooboo posted:

I was under the assumption drinking distilled water constantly was bad for you. :iiam:

You offset the issues with distilled water by drinking alcohol.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

djfooboo posted:

Everything I've seen says to avoid regularly drinking distilled water. It make you pee more often which leads to electrolyte loss. It's demineralized so you're not replacing them via hydration as you're pissing them out.

I'll admit I haven't looked to hard into it. I have a similar water cooler, but I get "spring" water.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

AnimalChin posted:

Similar to:
https://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Bea...ng+programmable
Except mine is programmable and dispenses hot, cold, and room temp. The programming is to tell it when to not bother heating or cooling (over night, usually) to save power.

I pay ~$30/mo (I rent out a spare bedroom and we both drink LOTS of water) for fresh, easy, distilled hot and cold water 24/7. It's pretty kickass. You can rent a cooler from the water company for ~$10/mo. if you want to try out the service first. I doubt they make you sign a contract.

I pretty much do the same, except I fill my 5 gallon bottles using a RO filter a friend who used to have a marine aquarium gave me when he got rid of it. My wife and I blow through 7 bottles about once every month to month and a half, takes about a full day to fill all seven bottles.

Only problem is it has ruined water for me anywhere else - if its not adequately filtered it tastes like poo poo.

djfooboo posted:

The only major drawback I can think of is cutting out fluoride if you would otherwise be drinking from a municipal water supply.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I just drink tap water. Sometimes even from the hose if I'm outside.

CowboyKid
May 29, 2008

PCOS Bill posted:

Move to Flint.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

PCOS Bill posted:

Wow Bill, I do the same!

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
You can buy water coolers like that for pretty cheap and just refill the jugs at most grocery stores for a little over a dollar/5g. Screw paying $30/month for service.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I grew up way out in the fuckin sticks, and we had delicious well water to drink only for the first 17 years of my life so all tapwater anywhere forever tastes like poo poo to me.

Nearly any filtration makes water taste fine to me - the filter on my refrigerator door does its job well enough.

Thats my story, you're all welcome.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
80 tons of gravel to extend our 1 car driveway to 2 cars..

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

fyallm posted:

80 tons of gravel to extend our 1 car driveway to 2 cars..

What'd you pay per ton where you are? I'm going to need to do similar soon, though not to extend, just to replace washout over the years that I've.... maybe let get a little bad...

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

flosofl posted:

Everything I've seen says to avoid regularly drinking distilled water. It make you pee more often which leads to electrolyte loss. It's demineralized so you're not replacing them via hydration as you're pissing them out.

I'll admit I haven't looked to hard into it. I have a similar water cooler, but I get "spring" water.

Back when I worked in industrial water treatment, I would refill my water bottle with the RO water and mix gatorade powder in it. During the summer months, I'd drink about a few 64 oz water bottles full of the stuff. Only drawback was having to pee all the time. Even straight RO water seemed fine, too. That stuff tested to be ridiculously clean, too.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I bought a soldering iron and accessories because I drink and think I'm gonna do LED work or some poo poo.

Every day that goes by, I realize that I am not smart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

Inzombiac posted:

I bought a soldering iron and accessories because I drink and think I'm gonna do LED work or some poo poo.

Every day that goes by, I realize that I am not smart.

A soldering iron is a good tool to have around. Also, I do the same thing. I get things for pie in the sky idea projects and then never get to them. Alcohol induced shopping is not good even though sober me still tries to justify the thing that I might never do. My soldering iron has still served me well, however.