Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjfspM5sDIA

NEW AVALANCHES ALBUM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
For the moment we're all pretending that doesn't exist and hoping it makes sense in the context of the album.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Polo-Rican posted:

For the moment we're all pretending that doesn't exist and hoping it makes sense in the context of the album.

Are you kidding? It's a really fun song and it will fit in just the same way "Frontier Psychiatrist" fit into Since I Left You.

Who the gently caress's pretending it doesn't exist?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Polo-Rican posted:

I love it because it shows they're not playing it safe. Whatever they end up doing won't be what anyone expects from them.

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
That song is so bad.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

FactsAreUseless posted:

I love it because it shows they're not playing it safe. Whatever they end up doing won't be what anyone expects from them.

I think the fact is that most people just want "Since I Left You" part 2. The fact is it's been so long, and they've done whatever they've done with their lives during that time and aren't the same people who made that album so long ago.

With that being said though the new track reminds me a lot of their really old stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBo3py7IP2s

I dig "Frankie" and look forward to it in the context of the album. Screw the haters.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

New Tegan and Sara is out. It is fine I guess, everything bleeds together for me like the last album did, but I still enjoy them.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
I haven't read anything about that The Avalanches song but that HAS to be Danny Brown on it no?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

T Bowl posted:

I haven't read anything about that The Avalanches song but that HAS to be Danny Brown on it no?

And DOOM

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Minor Victories' (Editors and Mogwai lead guitarists with singer from Slowdive) debut album released today, haven't had a chance to listen to it yet.

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

It's like he's simultaneously making fun of modern hip hop and doing it better than modern artists at the same time.

I'm obsessed with this song.
I'm obsessed with a lot of Beck's songs.
I'm obsessed with Beck.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Science WHORE posted:

It's like he's simultaneously making fun of modern hip hop and doing it better than modern artists at the same time.

Yeah I'd say that just about covers it. It shouldn't work, but it does.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
Saw a lot of artists at Gov Ball, skipping out today due to exhaustion and a worrying weather forecast. Too bad I'm missing Courtney Barnett and Two Door, but it's better to not die.

Stood in the front center row in the pouring rain for 3 hours in total to see Miike Snow and they loving killed it. I'd been waiting to see them since 2009. A bunch of the iii stuff popped, Cult Logic and Paddling Out were huge highlights, and an ending of Black and Blue / Animal as the rain ended was phenomenal. Some dude outmaneuvered me for the setlist, but I did get a signed copy of iii.

Thought Beck's set was stellar as well. Paper Tiger -> Lost Cause -> a massive Blue Moon into a cover of Raspberry Beret and a story about Prince awarding him the Grammy in 2015. He didn't play Wow, but Dreams sounds even better live than on single.

M83 was short (they had 1.45 hours to play and filled 1.05 of it) but also sounded excellent. Their new keyboard/vocalist definitely upstaged Anthony, her voice is gorgeous. I cried during Oblivion, which was the point when I realized how exhausted I was and left for the night.

Only caught 20 min of Bloc Party. I will continue to argue that The Love Within and the rest of the new stuff blows, but This Modern Love, Helicopter and a cover of I Will Die 4 U won me over to end the set.

Strokes sounded fine but the new stuff lost my interest. Electricityscape sounded stellar, though, they fuzzed up the lead riff and it added another dimension to the song.

Killers sounded fine but I checked them out during Day and Age stuff so I was pretty eh about the whole thing. They covered Obstacle 1 so that was cool.

Thundercat was loving awesome. So was Jamie xx. Robyn was fun. It was a good time.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

Since the third day of Governors Ball was cancelled, some Sunday performers scrambled to book make up shows yesterday. Prophets of Rage, Vic Mensa, Two Door Cinema Club, Courtney Barnett, and Kanye West (supposedly playing at 2 a.m.) all scheduled last minute shows around New York.

I didn't buy a Governors Ball pass, so I was resigned to accepting that I wouldn't be seeing Courtney Barnett anytime soon. Once she announced a free make up show, I ran over to Rough Trade right away. It was such a fun crowd that was singing along loudly and were honestly there just to see CB3 perform. When they came back for the encore, the whole band messed around and teased a bunch of covers like Chick Magnet by MxPx and Smells Like Teen Spirit.

interpunct fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jun 6, 2016

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie

Jehde posted:

Minor Victories' (Editors and Mogwai lead guitarists with singer from Slowdive) debut album released today, haven't had a chance to listen to it yet.

oh my balls, I've been waiting for that album for a long time. Thanks for the heads up, Minor Victories is absolutely fantastic

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
http://rollingstoneaus.com/music/post/first-listen-the-gooch-palms-introverted-extroverts/4043-page-1

The new Gooch Palms album!! It rocks. If you're not familiar with these two lovable Aussies, get acquainted. "Novos" was one of my favorite records of 2014. They're great and I hope they get some of the recognition they deserve with this new album.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

I don't know who Krrum is, but I heard this song on XMU today and it loving owns:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uky9ssVdykw

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I loving love this new song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=af47MJSd5BU

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
OK, so Wye Oak just released an album out of fuckin' nowhere.

It's on Spotify

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
Lead single (final track) is very good and it's very nice to hear guitars on an album of theirs again

...not that Shriek was bad I just like that Civilian vibe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlbmiLcX2sQ

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

I just spent $150+ on a signed test pressing of the new Wye Oak album and I haven't even listened to it yet.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
It's like every time I click this thread I need to add four albums to my to-listen list. Y'all have impeccable taste.

Naz al-Ghul
Mar 23, 2014

Honorarily Japanese
Who here just loves synthwave?

I'm serious, I can't get enough of this genre. It steeps itself in '80s nostalgia, science fiction, and is unapologetic about the cheesy nature of its aesthetic. It's not pretentious nor is it too silly.

Trevor Something, Gunship, Lazerhawk, Robots with Rayguns, Macross 82-99, Perturbator, Mitch Murder, this is just one good genre.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Nazareth posted:

I'm serious, I can't get enough of this genre. It steeps itself in '80s nostalgia, science fiction, and is unapologetic about the cheesy nature of its aesthetic. It's not pretentious nor is it too silly.

Trevor Something, Gunship, Lazerhawk, Robots with Rayguns, Macross 82-99, Perturbator, Mitch Murder, this is just one good genre.

That stuff all sounds stupid

Naz al-Ghul
Mar 23, 2014

Honorarily Japanese

A human heart posted:

That stuff all sounds stupid

Hey, to each their own. What's your type of music, good person?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Nazareth posted:

I don't know enough about this genre but holy gently caress do I love Gunship. What an amazing album. What else in the genre is similar? Definitely would prefer music with vocals/lyrics, not instrumental stuff.

Naz al-Ghul
Mar 23, 2014

Honorarily Japanese

Hedrigall posted:

I don't know enough about this genre but holy gently caress do I love Gunship. What an amazing album. What else in the genre is similar? Definitely would prefer music with vocals/lyrics, not instrumental stuff.

FM-84's Atlas has a good deal of vocal tracks. Trevor Something is more about the scene but he does vocals.
Miranda Carey and Dana Jean Phoenix do vocals, but if I were to recommend a search, it'd be through Timecop1983. Most of the time, Synthwave is instrumental, but occasionally they'll have a few vocal tracks. Timecop1983's album Reflections has half a dozen vocal tracks, I think Perturbator has some in I am the Night but he's mostly instrumental, and Robots with Rayguns has a decent amount littered amongst his discography.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Deerhoof's new album is streaming in full on npr music here:

http://www.npr.org/2016/06/03/480602873/first-listen-deerhoof-the-magic

I'm not all the way through it yet but it sounds pretty good so far. I used to be a huge deerhoof fan but have been generally disappointed with their last 3 or 4 albums. Everyone in the band is an incredible musician but they've been focusing too hard on tone, and the strength of the performances themselves have been getting lost. With this album, they apparently spent a week in a shed in the desert with no material planned, and emerged with the album. I think this has had a positive effect because the strength of the music in this album comes from energetic performances, much like their old material, as opposed to tinkering with sounds in the studio.

Edit: okay I've listened to it a few times now and have revised my opinion. It's just like their last few albums - mostly average - a few great tracks but a lot of stuff that doesn't deserve to be released to the public. I really want these guys to take a 5-year hiatus or something

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 18, 2016

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
Anyone hear the new Phantogram single? Hopefully a grower. They're here in the UK in November so I'll have to see them again. I do feel if you split up their two albums and standalone EP youd have one incredible LP.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

britishbornandbread posted:

Anyone hear the new Phantogram single? Hopefully a grower. They're here in the UK in November so I'll have to see them again. I do feel if you split up their two albums and standalone EP youd have one incredible LP.
:agreed:
Don't love the new track but it's good enough that I'm still excited for Three. I've seen them live 4 times now and they always kill it and yeah, they have about 10 really amazing tracks spread across their discography.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Really digging this Aus EP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MF0rwfjGCc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsPUXU4MNEI

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Nazareth posted:

Hey, to each their own. What's your type of music, good person?

Ideally it should be good, and also shouldn't rely entirely on obnoxious 80s nostalgia references. Like it's fairly obvious that none of these synthwave dudes care about actual 80s synth music, it's just empty signifiers.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I'm hoping III turns out good, because BigGrams was extremely disappointing.

E> I also hate how much Sara is trying to build some weird sexual image since BigGrams. She's already attractive, just focus on music.

Slandible fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jun 19, 2016

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

I heard Steady Holiday on my spotify discover playlist a couple weeks back. She has a handful of really solid singles on Spotify and her new album drops this week.

Her first music video for Open Water
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VdorxtfFAE

and No Matter, audio only.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALGykOQn8LQ

resident fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jun 20, 2016

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
new portishead https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVe-9VWIcCo

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Oh my good loving sweet jesus M83 just announced a Vancouver show in October :f5:

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

For context, this is an ABBA cover they did for the film High-Rise.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Slate Action posted:

For context, this is an ABBA cover they did for the film High-Rise.

yeah i didn't realize that at first, sorry! it is in tribute to Jo Cox on this particular occasion, as well

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Only a year after their last one, The Dear Hunter has Act V coming out 9/9!

http://hymnswiththedevil.com

New song: https://m.soundcloud.com/equalvision/the-dear-hunter-gloria

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I don't know if this is the right thread for it, but I just heard Best Coast's "California Nights" (Song, not album) on the radio the other day. After listening to the album I don't mind it but specifically that song is just amazing. What other bands/songs should I listen to if that song is what I want in my life.