Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Boiled Water posted:

You can transport those beads wherever you want and no one will give you grief about it. Pressurized gas canisters on the other hand have all sorts of rules applied to them.

Sure, or it could just be that the kinds of idiots excited about new Keurig products think they're cooler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Arivia posted:

Sure, or it could just be that the kinds of idiots excited about new Keurig products think they're cooler.

Also very likely.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Boiled Water posted:

You can transport anal beads wherever you want and no one will give you grief about it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They just didn't seem to get that cold drinks are fundamentally different because it's super easy to have those on hand whenever you want.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Boiled Water posted:

You can transport those beads wherever you want and no one will give you grief about it. Pressurized gas canisters on the other hand have all sorts of rules applied to them.

Obsolete technology: brick & mortar stores

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Computer viking posted:

The Swedish industrial gas company AGA sells both a sodastream clone and CO2 refill bottles here, and I don't think Sweden has done much illegal occupation the last century. We picked one up a while ago - I wonder if I can find anyone here who will sell me a single box of soda machine syrup?

In the US you can also get a "bag in a box" of soda syrup at Sam's Club or CostCo. Don't know if y'all have either of those over there though. I've read you have some equivalent stores like Martin Olsson's and maybe Co-Op?

Imagined has a new favorite as of 14:07 on Jun 9, 2016

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

wayne curr posted:

"Karbonator beads" :laffo:
Oh gently caress I thought the Kold was just a SodaStream knock-off, that used syrup pods for single servings of drink.
Who the hell thought this was better than just using a gas canister?

It gets even better. There is a seal you have to remove before putting the pod into the machine. If you don't, then the carbonation beads don't get used and you end up with flat soda. You could remove the seal afterwords and use the pod again but, since the syrup was already expended to make flat soda, you'll end up with plain seltzer.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Norway, not Sweden - I think I should head out to Smart Club and check, they seem the most CostCo-like of anything around here.

And for whoever was excited about having an alternative, they brand it as the "AGA Aqvia". It takes sodastream bottles and gas tanks, which makes things easier. There is also apparently another (German?) clone called "Wassermax": We have a couple of their (cheap) bottles, but I haven't seen their machines for sale.

Computer viking has a new favorite as of 14:20 on Jun 9, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Imagined posted:

In the US you can also get a "bag in a box" of soda syrup at Sam's Club or CostCo. Don't know if y'all have either of those over there though. I've read you have some equivalent stores like Martin Olsson's and maybe Co-Op?

Really, at Costco? I guess they don't do that here in Quebec. Or maybe Canada in general.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I'm pretty sure Keurig developed those Coke Freestyle machines that let you mix flavors together. Kold was a way to apply that technology they already developed to the home market.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The surprisingly thorough list of companies that helped develop them on Wikipedia doesn't list Keurig.

Besides, those freestyle machines must just do carbonated water the same way as a traditional fountain. They have no need for the pellet things, what's different about them is the syrup dispensing, they still use the same amount of water.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I hate those freestyle machines. The menus take longer to navigate, your drink gets mixed with whatever thw guy before you had, and a greasy touchscreen is hella unsanitary compared to pressing you cup against a lever

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Tunicate posted:

I hate those freestyle machines. The menus take longer to navigate, your drink gets mixed with whatever thw guy before you had, and a greasy touchscreen is hella unsanitary compared to pressing you cup against a lever

Not to mention they always cheap out and use low-sensitivity resistive touchscreens so half the time it feels like the machine doesn't even register what you press. Aside from tablets and smartphones I hate touchscreen poo poo. Especially at the checkout of the grocery store where I have to mash the resistive touchscreen three times, then hit one of the actual buttons, then pick up the pen. PICK ONE INTERFACE.

When there are only 9 options and only one application that's ever going to be run on a system, WHY THE gently caress WOULDN'T YOU USE BUTTONS. They're a proven interface! Have a flashy LCD display or whatever but poo poo, buttons are so much better for so many applications!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Imagined posted:

Not to mention they always cheap out and use low-sensitivity resistive touchscreens so half the time it feels like the machine doesn't even register what you press. Aside from tablets and smartphones I hate touchscreen poo poo. Especially at the checkout of the grocery store where I have to mash the resistive touchscreen three times, then hit one of the actual buttons, then pick up the pen. PICK ONE INTERFACE.

When there are only 9 options and only one application that's ever going to be run on a system, WHY THE gently caress WOULDN'T YOU USE BUTTONS. They're a proven interface! Have a flashy LCD display or whatever but poo poo, buttons are so much better for so many applications!

I've never had those issues with a self-checkout, you must just be an idiot.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Iron Crowned posted:

I've never had those issues with a self-checkout, you must just be an idiot.
Self checkouts are different depending where you live, just like assholes like you.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Edward IV posted:

It gets even better. There is a seal you have to remove before putting the pod into the machine. If you don't, then the carbonation beads don't get used and you end up with flat soda. You could remove the seal afterwords and use the pod again but, since the syrup was already expended to make flat soda, you'll end up with plain seltzer.

Like I said, the Kold was at least the same and potentially more effort to get soda compared to just buying it from the store. It definitely required more thought put into it to avoid getting flat soda.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Those Amazon buttons combined with Amazon pantry really are going to make these things obsolete once people realize they are essentially paying 5-6 bucks for a 4 can pod pack. The easiest way is to press a button and have somebody (somethings even same day) drop a 12 pack off for the exact product you want at the same price as it store on your doorstep.

But we would rather pretend it's back to the future 2.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You mean the Keurig Kold? It was already discontinued.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Tunicate posted:

I agree with you on the long rear end time for the menu and the cleanliness issue, but I've never had an issue with getting remnants of the previous drink. There are plenty of fountain soda dispensers that use one nozzle for all soda, even on "regular" machines, and it seems to me that they all "end" with a little bit of plan, carbonated, water to "flush out" any remaining syrup.

If it's an issue for you, just hit the water button for a second before you put your cup in.

My biggest issue with them is that for some reason the designers saw fit to restrict the drink choices arbitrarily.

I believe the flavor choices are vanilla, lime, lemon, raspberry, strawberry...and maybe cherry as well? Also maybe orange? But you can't get any flavor with any drink. Want Raspberry Root Beer? gently caress you, Root Beer only in regular or vanilla varieties.

I'm not saying I want raspberry root beer, I'm just saying I want the option of raspberry root beer.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

DrBouvenstein posted:

I agree with you on the long rear end time for the menu and the cleanliness issue, but I've never had an issue with getting remnants of the previous drink. There are plenty of fountain soda dispensers that use one nozzle for all soda, even on "regular" machines, and it seems to me that they all "end" with a little bit of plan, carbonated, water to "flush out" any remaining syrup.

If it's an issue for you, just hit the water button for a second before you put your cup in.

My biggest issue with them is that for some reason the designers saw fit to restrict the drink choices arbitrarily.

I believe the flavor choices are vanilla, lime, lemon, raspberry, strawberry...and maybe cherry as well? Also maybe orange? But you can't get any flavor with any drink. Want Raspberry Root Beer? gently caress you, Root Beer only in regular or vanilla varieties.

I'm not saying I want raspberry root beer, I'm just saying I want the option of raspberry root beer.

Now I want to try a raspberry rootbeer

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

DrBouvenstein posted:

Having to navigate through the menus twice on a bad touchscreen is poor design!

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

DrBouvenstein posted:

Dollars to donuts it's a branding/marketing concern.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

Problem being, there's not really a raspberry soda out there to use as a base. Everything in those machines is merely a combination of existing flavors.

Also, does it make someone a bad person if they like Grape Mello Yello? Asking for a friend.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Samizdata posted:

Problem being, there's not really a raspberry soda out there to use as a base. Everything in those machines is merely a combination of existing flavors.

I thought all the "add-on" flavors were their own thing?

Like...if you select a cherry Diet Coke, the machine dispenses soda water, Diet Coke syrup, and Cherry Syrup at the right ratios. It'd be too inefficient to have supplies for cherry Diet Coke, and CHerry Coke, and Cherry Coke Zero, and Caffeine Free Cherry Coke Zero, and so on and so on for every flavor combo.

So it's basically just arbitrary/branding, like blugu64 mentioned. But even that doesn't make sense to me, because I've never seen Strawberry Coke in stores before, or Grape Mello Yello, so they are already letting me make flavors that they don't produce normally, so just let me have free reign, God-drat it!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The Keurig:Kold is even better in that Keurig rebranded their coffee makers as Keurig:Hot. Now the name's just redundant.

My rear end in a top hat brother-in-law works at Keurig. His wife made sure to let everyone knew he didn't get laid off with the Kold team. No poo poo, he works in the loading dock.

Samizdata posted:

Also, does it make someone a bad person if they like Grape Mello Yello? Asking for a friend.

Adding grape or orange is the only Mellow Yellow is palatable.

Tunicate posted:

You could select your drink options with your tongue and the screen would still not be the most unsanitary part of a soda dispenser.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Krispy Kareem posted:

You could select your drink options with your tongue and the screen would still not be the most unsanitary part of a soda dispenser.

Having flashbacks to the time I worked at a ballpark and had to help our drinks guy tear down one of the soda fountains. So much mysterious slime.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

I thought all the "add-on" flavors were their own thing?

Like...if you select a cherry Diet Coke, the machine dispenses soda water, Diet Coke syrup, and Cherry Syrup at the right ratios. It'd be too inefficient to have supplies for cherry Diet Coke, and CHerry Coke, and Cherry Coke Zero, and Caffeine Free Cherry Coke Zero, and so on and so on for every flavor combo.

So it's basically just arbitrary/branding, like blugu64 mentioned. But even that doesn't make sense to me, because I've never seen Strawberry Coke in stores before, or Grape Mello Yello, so they are already letting me make flavors that they don't produce normally, so just let me have free reign, God-drat it!

But, I mean, there's just plain grape soda too. There's never been a just raspberry soda I have ever heard of. I have even had just cherry sodas in the past too.

Aristophanes
Aug 11, 2012

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever!
Come to NZ/Australia. There's Schweppes raspberry, and it's a common part of drink dispensers. It tastes great mixed with coke.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Samizdata posted:

Definitely not, the grape flavor in freestyle machines tastes exactly like grape skittles.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Don't a lot of companies develop something for industrial, military or other specialized use, and then see if its marketable to the public in some way? Some times it works like celphones or the internet, but other times like flying cars it ends up being a giant turkey.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

twistedmentat posted:

Don't a lot of companies develop something for industrial, military or other specialized use, and then see if its marketable to the public in some way? Some times it works like celphones or the internet, but other times like flying cars it ends up being a giant turkey.

There's an entire book on that: https://www.amazon.com/Combat-Ready-Kitchen-U-S-Military-Shapes/dp/1591845971

It's also a really interesting read if you're into that kind of stuff.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Plinkey posted:

There's an entire book on that: https://www.amazon.com/Combat-Ready-Kitchen-U-S-Military-Shapes/dp/1591845971

It's also a really interesting read if you're into that kind of stuff.

That's really nifty, I'll have to grab it some time when I have money to buy books.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

KozmoNaut posted:

Awesome, I didn't know there was a decent alternative to Sodastream. I've been kinda wanting a carbonator for a long time.

My opinion: DIY it, man. I have a setup that's just a 5lb co2 tank with a hose leading to a tire chuck, and a bunch of 2L bottle with a valve stem in the lid. I can carbonate ANYTHING. It's a little more money up front but I can carbonate like a trillion gallons of anything before I have to refill that tank for like $25.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Nate Falls posted:

My opinion: DIY it, man. I have a setup that's just a 5lb co2 tank with a hose leading to a tire chuck, and a bunch of 2L bottle with a valve stem in the lid. I can carbonate ANYTHING. It's a little more money up front but I can carbonate like a trillion gallons of anything before I have to refill that tank for like $25.

I just bought one of those converter bits for my sodastream that makes it so you can use normal c02 tanks.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nate Falls posted:

Yeah you can make soda, but what's your MPM?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Aristophanes posted:

Come to NZ/Australia. There's Schweppes raspberry, and it's a common part of drink dispensers. It tastes great mixed with coke.

Sounds like it could be pretty awesome. Sadly, I am American. :sigh:

Gann Jerrod posted:

Definitely not, the grape flavor in freestyle machines tastes exactly like grape skittles.

Good, because I...erm...my friend gets lots of strange looks whenever he gets it.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Samizdata posted:

Sounds like it could be pretty awesome. Sadly, I am American. :sigh:

They have these in the US, I think it's seagrams though.

e: Every submenu after your base drink has like 10 flavors.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

Tunicate posted:

Yeah you can make soda, but what's your MPM?

¿qué?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

Now I want to try a raspberry rootbeer

There's a work around where you add some fanta raspberry soda to a regular barqs root beer. I'll try to give it a go tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Plinkey posted:

They have these in the US, I think it's seagrams though.

e: Every submenu after your base drink has like 10 flavors.

Yea, those are all over the place in Toronto. They're great because you can choose a massive number of flavors as was mentioned. There are Pepsi ones at Subway now, but they always taste manky.

I am perfectly sure that the Freestyle machines are secretly doing market research for coke so they know if there is enough demand for Coke Lime or Coke Orange.