Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
They were right to not make you keep track of cooldowns on every single unit in your army, Rome 2 had a bunch of cooldowns to press on every single unit and it was just annoying.

The most I'd want to see would be a once-per battle ability on top tier monsters, like a dragon with a breath attack, don't toss in shieldwalls and flaming arrows just because.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
I want more quest battles for azhag and sigvald. I just want to hear them give more speeches :allears:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

don't toss in shieldwalls and flaming arrows just because.

Funny you mention that. I know flaming arrows have been a unit ability in Total War since forever, but the only faction that gets them on the tabletop is Bretonnia. And the peasant longbows getting flaming arrows (and deployable stakes) was one of the only ways Brets could deal with regenerating units.

Hopefully those are additions when Bretonnia becomes a full faction, but it's part of what I mean when I say that some of the unit abilities need to come back: you just don't have to actually activate them.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
The magic and fantasty stuff makes this feel more like a reimagined Age of Wonders than a new branch of total war.

Either way the spells are fun but Lore of Death is much better than everything else that combined with how baller raise dead is it makes the Vamps hard to go past.

I have two fireball items on two geroes in same army. I cast it over and over in a battle and it looked like nothibg happened at all.

Spirit leech on the other hand murders solos faster than anything else I've even seen in the game.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Spirit Leech is the uncontested king of hero sniping and Fate of Bjuna slightly further down the tree loving murders elite units. Lore of Death is insanely good, especially stapled onto units that are already capable melee combatants in the first place.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Whatever VC garrison level gets you Crypt Horrors is worth more than whatever lovely army you could field for the same price. I just had that meager force prevail over a level 13 Dwarf lord when those Horrors held the line as the dire wolves and fell bats mobbed unit after unit until only 13 wolves remained. The dwarfs accepted peace. Meanwhile another stack of Chaos to the west met my smallest force in a heavily wooded area and though it cost me my Black Knights I managed to delay them long enough to have my Vampire lord take out most of their great weapons, my bats mob their marauders and my Crypt Horrors break their trolls over and over. The trees kept their horses trapped and drained them of ammunition against piles of living corpses. As everything began to crumble around me I mobbed their wizard with everything that could still run and their army shattered soon after.

Now I can focus on my last two fronts: Grimgor + Waaagh sieging the gateway to the badlands and Archaon + Sarthorel to the north, the latter having razed Kislev and sent their small warband fleeing. Relief is coming south to beat back the Orcs as my dwarven allies finally muster to take back what they conqured from the greenskins. Archaon and Sarthorel are pinched between Mannfred and Gunther the Scarred, their armies of monsters ready to swoop down on their siege equipment and route their already dying giants. Mannfred and Sofia will pull the Everchosen's life force from his body. My upkeep is draining quickly but I know few will survive to be paid when this is over.

Best Total War game yet.

(What's hosed up is the autoresolve for Archaon/Sarth says I have very low to near-zero chance to win depending on who initiates and against whom, but of course they added back reinforcement on the march in this game which is total bullshit. Otherwise it'd be an easy divide and conquer.)

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jun 10, 2016

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
How does overcast work? I once saw a Chaos sorcerer lord poof out of existence but I've never managed to overcast with anyone despite spamming Invocation at near-zero winds.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Marauder horsemen maintain their utility for a surprising amount of time. Granted this might be partially because chaos knights are rather expensive, but marauder horsemen are the unit that pistoleers should be. A competent skirmishing unit with enough melee power to take out enemy archers and siege weapons.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Triskelli posted:

Funny you mention that. I know flaming arrows have been a unit ability in Total War since forever, but the only faction that gets them on the tabletop is Bretonnia. And the peasant longbows getting flaming arrows (and deployable stakes) was one of the only ways Brets could deal with regenerating units.

Hopefully those are additions when Bretonnia becomes a full faction, but it's part of what I mean when I say that some of the unit abilities need to come back: you just don't have to actually activate them.

I could see flaming arrows being it's own unit like great weapon quellers. Or just a higher rank of the same building.

Also holy hell I didn't realize how much I wanted Total Age of Wonders.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Army Writeup: Warriors of Chaos

Chaos is the most challenging campaign to play, mostly because of their campaign map mechanics. Chaos has unique horde buildings, no settlements, and lacks some key abilities especially in the early game. However they do have a ton of fun units from rock-hard infantry to excellent light cavalry to more monstrous units than you can flee from. Their legendary lords are flat-out broken; any of the three can reliably solo ten units once they’re past level 15 or so, Sigvald can kill a whole army given enough time, and facing only mid-tier troops Kholek can rout a full line.

One reason Chaos is fun is that you're encouraged to diversify your recruitment, so you're likely to see every unit in the roster by turn 100 or so. Unlike settled races where you'll have economic provinces and one or two recruiting provinces, Chaos has no economic buildings and has to do its recruiting through multiple hordes. You might as well specialize each horde, and so you'll be able to recruit every unit in the course of a normal Chaos campaign. That's cool because Chaos has a lot of wild units that aren't just your guys with different weapons or guys on horses with different weapons.

They’re diverse, different, favor short sharp actions and are a lot of fun to play on the tactical map. Boy howdy do you have to slog through some poo poo to get there though.

Campaign Mechanics

The basic Chaos unit on the campaign map is the Warband, also known as a Horde. Like other races, you will have an army led by a lord. Unlike other races, the army is a permanent object with its own structures and population attached. You cannot settle towns or cities. Ever. The horde is your only economy, so protect and manage it. Don't expect it to pay for itself though, you will only get the favor you need by killing and destroying.

Horde Management

Each horde building costs population to build, and how much population it will cost depends on how many buildings already exist in the horde, so population and growth management is critical. Growth is abysmal for small, early hordes. Increasing population growth will be your highest priority. So high in fact that you should beeline for the horde growth skill on each of your lords before you start upgrading anything else. The horde’s core building governs tier progression, upkeep, pop growth, and recruitment slots, so it’s important to upgrade.

In a horde with only its core building, new low-tier buildings will cost 2 pop cap. With two buildings, a new low-tier building will cost 4, and so on. Usual tier restrictions to building apply, so you’ll need to upgrade your core building to unlock higher tier structures. Since you need 13 pop to upgrade to the highest core building level, you’ll probably want to focus as much pop there as possible to increase growth. After that, you’ll need 2 pop cap for a first structure, then 4 for a second, and so on, while upgrades and higher tier buildings will need more pop as well. A horde takes a long-rear end time to grow pop. Garrison every turn (only move 75% your max move) and raze settlements for growth bonuses.

Losing a horde is a disaster, since they start out so weak. You will need to protect new hordes while they grow, even if it means hiding in a corner losing money until you stride out onto the map.

Marauder infantry sucks, yet it’s the only infantry you’ll get out of a fresh horde for a long while. Consider destroying your marauder building once you have 2 pop to build the Chaos Warrior building instead. Make sure you recruit all the light cavalry you need first.

Campaign Movement

Campaign movement is a contender for Chaos’s biggest handicap. Chaos just doesn’t have ambush mode, full stop. (This appears to be a holdover from Attila.) Even worse, the Block Army action is only available on a level 8+ sorcerer. Really. The upshot is that there is mechanically no way of fighting a field battle with an AI army that doesn’t think it can win. I recommend bee-lining for the Block Army skill in the second half of the bottom sorcerer tree. It’s that important.

One way to trick AI into thinking they can fight you is keeping your army at 16-18 units, and dispatching an Exalted Champion to assault the army once it’s in your move range. The AI won’t be able to escape from the now-unfavored fight. This brings us to the other big challenge of the Chaos campaign: the Norse and auto-resolve.

The Campaign

Leading hordes of Chaos warriors and monsters into the southern lands and laying waste with giants, ogres, and black knights astride nightmare steeds is awesome, but to get to that part you have to subjugate Norsca first, and the Norscans absolutely suck to fight on the tactical battle map. A typical Norscan army, as you might be aware from playing other campaigns, is mostly light cavalry. As Chaos, you have exactly the same light cavalry, so aside from speed buffs from lords or banners you can’t catch Norse cavalry. This makes fighting tactical battles with them tedious at best. So you’d better autoresolve, except you can’t catch the AI on the campaign map if it thinks it will lose an autoresolve.

Fortunately there is a way through this: just go past them. Get lightning strike on your lords to avoid getting overwhelmed and ignore Norse stacks. Just attack, loot and destroy their settlements with autoresolve. You'll want to sack at least once before razing, and attack newly-awakened tribes to subjugate them. All these easy battles are a great way to level your lords and heroes.

Hide new hordes far back in the east if you need to, because the AI will kill them if you give it the opportunity. Once you have sorcerers and exalted heroes you can use them to either block or trick the AI into fights that you can win in autoresolve. I recommend the easy agents mod, since you’re up against at least five factions between Skaeling, Varg, Kraka Drak, Ostland and Kislev, who will all be able to recruit and level agents much faster than your slow-growing hordes.

Once you’ve devastated Norsca congratulations, money should be no object and it’s time to lay waste to the realms of men.

The Armies

Legendary Lords

Kholek Suneater

Kholek is a monstrous LL, the only one in the game as far as I know. He is a monster-sized unit with cavalry speed, huge damage and AoE attacks. He can easily solo multiple units and break a flank charging by himself, although he’s not invincible. Good candidate for starting lord as it will take forever to get the building that unlocks him and he comes with Dragon Ogres, which are also monstrous cavalry. He can also smash through gates. Awesome at level 1, awesome at level 30. You will want to level his armor and give him a good armor drop, as he doesn’t get a quest armor and starts with something very low like armor 36. Unlocked by building a Dragon Ogre Gathering

Prince Sigvald “Siggy” the Magnificent

Sigvald is a pretty underwhelming melee lord with no mount options when he starts out, but he’s the most potent of the Chaos legendary lords in the long run. Sigvald’s Auric Armor combined with a sprinkling of defense skills and ward save will make him virtually invincible on the battlefield. He simply heals too fast to damage. Perfect for siege battles; I’ve had Sigvald personally kill more than 600 men on a fortress wall. Best to leave the game running and go make yourself a sandwich if you opt for this strategy. Other than that he has no standout weaknesses or strengths. His quest battles are pretty tough. Sigvald is very easy to unlock, just awaken or subjugate a tribe four times.

Archaeon “Chaos Poochy” the Everchosen

Archaeon is a Chaos Lord and Fire Sorcerer rolled into one, with some unique buff options for Chaos elite cavalry thrown in for good measure. He’s like a regular chaos lord, but with better gear and fire spell access. Whether you can realistically make use of four skill trees I don’t know, but they’re there! Unlocked by sacrificing captives to the gods 10 times. Archaeon would be pretty easy to unlock if you could catch Norse armies in the field to get the after-battle sacrifice option. Once you have some heroes to help you catch AI armies on the map he should unlock shortly.

Heroes

Exalted Champion

Champions are badass melee heroes, as you’d expect from a guy who looks like he do. You’ll probably want to spec them for campaign map assassination and assault work, but they lead a cavalry charge on the tactical map just fine vanilla. Once you have your blue skills you can level them into a dedicated leader of Chaos Knights or put them on a terrifying Manticore to zip around ganking annoying or hard-to-get enemies. The Manticore gets poison if you put points into it, making this guy an excellent battlefield troubleshooter indeed. A very good if unsubtle melee hero.

Chaos Sorcerer

You’re going to want death sorcerers and you’re going to want as many as you can get your hands on. Sorcerers are your only option for Block Army, and since you don’t have ambush they’re your only option for catching AI armies on the map. Beeline for block army, you should have it by level 8. After that level your death magic. Purple Sun is the only bad spell in the list as far as I know, everything else is good to excellent. You start with Spirit Leech which is one of the best spells in the game anyway. Every horde should have one of these guys ASAP.

Units

Marauder Tree

You start out with the tier 1 marauder building, and while the infantry it provides is weak the light cavalry will be useful all game. It’s also the only light cavalry you’ll get all game so :shrug:

Chaos Marauders

Chaos Marauders are your basic shirtless Norse axmen. They have no armor but they do have shields and are fairly fast. They aren’t awful on the level of Goblins, but they are decidedly weak in comparison to all the warrior units you’ll have access to later. You’ll probably need them to form some sort of line, even though they’re bad at taking hits. You will lose fights to anything that isn’t tier 1 infantry itself so plan accordingly with flank and rear charges to decide combat. Spam them in the early game, then fire them and never look back.

Great Weapon Marauders

Same guys, only with armor-piercing damage and no shields. Melt like summer snow under arrow fire. Don’t buy upgraded Chaos Marauders unless you have some sort of reason.

Marauder Horsemen

Marauder Horsemen are your basic ranged light cavalry. They throw javelins and have a lousy range, and they can charge with lances in a pinch. Virtually no armor. These guys will be important for skirmishing with the seemingly-infinite Norse horsemen and whittling down unarmored marauder units in the early game. Beware though, against the settled people you have to remember they will be shredded by a real archer unit. These guys have Vanguard, so they are excellent for picking off pesky artillery if you can manage it.

Throwing Ax Horsemen

These horsemen trade some range for armor piercing damage. There’s literally no other difference.

Chaos Warhounds

Chaos Warhounds are an excellent cheap light cavalry unit. They have lousy leadership and don’t do a ton of damage, but they are fast and excel in rear charges and pursuit. You should be using these until filling up your ranks with top tier Chaos Knights becomes an option.

Poison Chaos Warhounds

Poison hounds are everything that the regular guys are, except they also apply a nasty debuff to anything they attack. Slowed and debuffed enemies are a good thing whether you’re charging an engaged line or chasing down fleeing archers, so it’s all gravy really. Weak against armor.

Chaos Warriors

Warrior units are your bread and butter infantry. They’re heavily armored, come with good weapon options, and have good leadership that goes up to excellent with research and buffs.

Warriors

Warriors come in three flavors: ax and shield, great ax, and halberd. They’re a tier 2 unit so don’t expect them to work miracles, but they will wear down all other tier 2 infantry with their superior armor, skill and damage. Perfect for pinning an enemy line in place. However as you progress you may want to sub them out for more line-breaking units. Chaos more than any other faction can just charge directly onto an enemy line and win, and Warriors are not going to do that for you. Not quickly anyway.

Chosen

Chosen are Better Warriors and become available at Tier 4. They come in the same flavors… but better. These guys should form the core of any late game army. With shields, it will take high-tech artillery units, monsters, or armor-piercing shock cavalry to bring them down reliably. Chosen are the best anvil unit in the army, and you can get them with halberds if you’re fighting a monster-heavy enemy too.

Chaos Chariots

Chariots are a bit of an odd duck in a list with so many strong line-breaker and cavalry options. They have heavy armor but only okay leadership and come with three models. They will smash through lines, but can be unwieldy in extracting themselves for cycle charging. That’s not to say they’re bad, they are decent at breaking lines and can do rear and flank charges just fine. Their big problem is that they aren’t chaos knights or dragon ogres, both units that do the same job but better. They are a T3 unit, so they will be available sooner than either the ogres or knights though. If you want line-breaking cavalry ASAP this is your guy.

Gorebeast Chariots

A slower chariot with better damage, charge bonus and armor. Not a whole lot else to say about them; they are good at their job but suffer overlap with units that are even better at it.

Hellcannon

The hellcannon is a powerful cannon with a high arc of fire and iffy but not terrible accuracy. They fire explosive bolts with armor piercing damage. They will tend to lose artillery duels with cannons and towers, but if you want to punish enemy elites or wipe out annoying ranged cavalry from a distance this is your unit. It’s the only ranged unit in the chaos list that isn’t a marauder horse unit so it’s your only choice.

Magic Units

The Arcane Vortex tree is mandatory for getting sorcerers, just for their campaign map utility, but also has a couple of great midgame units.

Forsaken

Forsaken are your berserker sword infantry. These guys have bad armor and no shields but have good leadership, do a lot of damage and have armor-piercing. These are classic flank charge infantry and they make an excellent pair with more tanky warriors in the center. They will die in droves but they’re not too expensive and you’ll need the building chain anyway. It’s not uncommon for me to see a Forsaken unit break 100 kills against large armies, and that’s not pursuit!

Chaos Spawn

Chaos Spawn are basically monstrous Forsaken. They also have bad armor, but they are unbreakable, armor-piercing, and monstrous. I’m not sure if they cause fear or terror, but it’s definitely one or the other. Spawn will also die, but they have low upkeep for a monster unit and can be recruited in one turn. They can bash down gates but aren’t likely to survive long enough against lots of missile fire. Spawn are probably your earliest line-breaking unit and you should invest in them even though they’ll die a lot. Two or three spawn units have enough size and momentum to smash up the enemy line and make them easy prey for isolation, flank and rear charges by your infantry or cavalry.

Chaos Knights

Chaos Knights are heavy sword cavalry. They aren’t fast cavalry and they don’t have lances, but they fight better than shock cavalry once in the melee. They’re a good replacement for lighter utility cavalry as enemies tech up. Of course, even without lances they make excellent flank and rear chargers, but they don’t have the speed of dogs or the impact of chariots. A good all-rounder that doesn’t excel at anything. Armored and shielded.

Chaos Lance Knights

Knights with lances are chaos knights, but with lances. Worse at melee but better at charging. Aside from monstrous cavalry this is your premier shock unit. Very comparable to Reiksguard.

Chaos Trolls

Trolls are an odd one, they only have the one Tier 4 structure for both armored and unarmored trolls. Trolls’ whole gimmick is being monstrous infantry that are nigh-impossible to kill because of health regeneration. Their damage output is respectable though they aren’t the threshing machines that Spawn are. They need to stay near a character to get leadership buffs because of their poor leadership. Armored trolls have more armor. They’re acceptable line breaking units but redundant in a list that includes Shaggoths, Giants and Spawn. Good but not great gatebreakers.

Dragon Ogres

Dragon Ogres are monstrous cavalry, and they are badical as all hell. They’re not as tough as giants and trolls or as killy as spawn, but they move at cavalry speed and have big splashy AoE attacks on normal sized units. Unlike normal sized shock cavalry Dragon Ogres are equally happy sticking around and fighting as they are cycle charging. They’re less for breaking straight through a line and more for flank charging, but they’ll still ruin an infantry unit’s day. Will break down gates, but slowly. If you don’t start with Kholek, you’ll eventually want to unlock the T4 Dragon Ogre structure to get him and these guys. But honestly you should get them anyway.

Dragon Ogre Shaggoth

Like Kholek but not quite as good. A really big monstrous cavalry, like a cavalry giant. Smashes things and has a big HP pool on one model, so he can fight for a long time before dying. Good. Buy this guy if you don’t have Kholek. Definitely better than chariots. Breaks down gates.

Chaos Giant

Giants cause terror, have a huge HP pool and do big AoE attacks. These are the linebreakers par excellence of Chaos. If there’s a line of infantry, direct a giant or two at it and it will soon be a mess. It takes massed and concerted artillery, elite cavalry charges, armor-piercing ranged or most likely all three to bring down a giant. Meanwhile the rest of your army isn’t getting shot, and the giant’s combat efficiency doesn’t suffer until it dies. Expensive but really good. I put them in my line with my Chosen, with Forsaken and Spawn not far behind and infantry lines just disintegrate. Breaks down gates.

Tactics
Chaos is the best army at getting stuck in and winning melee fights. They have almost no shooting, and very little chaff in the list. Unlike Vampire Counts and Empire, they don't rely on flank charges to win a losing battle on the front line. Chaos will just charge up to the front line and win.

That said, there a few tactics to consider.

1. Let your warriors soak damage.

While the whole army is good at doing damage, there's a definite bent towards defense in the Warrior units tree and towards offense in the monsters. Advance with your shield warriors positioned to soak up archer fire. Let units like spawn and forsaked trail a bit; when they hit the line they'll still do a lot of damage, and they won't be as chewed up when they arrive.

2. Smash through their line.

Chaos has so many monsters in its ranks that going directly through the enemy line is a viable option. Giants, trolls, shaggoths, and to a lesser degree chariots, ogres, and spawn can all smash straight through a line of human-sized melee troops. With three or four line-breaker units mixed with/behind your warriors, the enemy line will soon devolve into terrified clumps that offer easy opportunities for flank and rear charges.

3. Do flank charges.

Even though chaos is so great at fighting on the line, flank charges are still important. Your line-breakers facilitate this really well. Between the shock of monsters charging them in the front, slowly losing a melee with warriors, and a flank charge you should be routing flanks much quicker than an Empire or Ork army trying a similar trick.

4. Don't walk, run!

Your shooting is bad. Once you're within range of Dwarf and Empire ranged units, they're going to want as much time as possible to shoot. Don't give it to them. Don't forget to make all your guys start running once you get shot at. When in doubt, get stuck in!

5. Use the hell out of your lords.

Your legendary lords are excellent and can be broken if built correctly. Never leave them sitting in the back. Chaos fights tend to be short and nasty, so you're not likely to be in danger of losing your lord unless the you lose the whole battle.

That's it for the writeup. I'd appreciate pictures; I'm not going to do them myself as it's getting late and all my screenshots were taken before I knew how to get rid of the interface.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jun 10, 2016

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Shumagorath posted:

How does overcast work? I once saw a Chaos sorcerer lord poof out of existence but I've never managed to overcast with anyone despite spamming Invocation at near-zero winds.

Double left click the spell. Not all spells can double cast, they cost more, and if you miscast you still perform the spell while doing a lot of self damage.
Right click a spell to bring up the info, you can toggle overcast on the bottom right of the demo video. It will then display the added effects and visuals if applicable.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Defending sieges as dwarfs rules. I returned to my dwarf campaign for a bit and VCs attacked a city bordering on their territory that had level 2 walls. They attacked with 3 and a half full stacks, including Kemmler, Mannfred, and 4 or 5 other heros mixed in. They actually ended up attacking after building towers / rams. They lost like 7000 troops and most of their heros, I lost the garrison that came with the city and a newly recruited basic hero. Ungrim and Thorgrim finally got there from way south a couple turns later and razed all of Sylvania and cleaned up what the undead still had left after the siege.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
What's everyone's go-to artillery unit for the Dwarves? I feel like I need at least one piece to draw the enemy into attacking but everything seems fairly ineffective. Gyrobombers are fun I find myself focusing on mircromanaging them too much. The organ gun would be great but the fire arc on them gives them a very small area of effectiveness.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
I have two hordes taking infighting attrition. They are sieging two different cities. The cities are separated by a river. That's dedication.

What is even happening there? Is Sigvald taking potshots with the hellcannon while the other lord flies over on his dragon and cracks some heads? Pay attention to the job you're there to do.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Funky See Funky Do posted:

What's everyone's go-to artillery unit for the Dwarves? I feel like I need at least one piece to draw the enemy into attacking but everything seems fairly ineffective. Gyrobombers are fun I find myself focusing on mircromanaging them too much. The organ gun would be great but the fire arc on them gives them a very small area of effectiveness.

I use grudge throwers in the early game and then phase them out for cannons later on. I keep one nominal battery and swap out the rest for brimstone gyrocopters because Chaos cavalry keep gunning straight for my backline. The one card is there for breaking settlements with walls.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Gitro posted:

I have two hordes taking infighting attrition. They are sieging two different cities. The cities are separated by a river. That's dedication.

What is even happening there? Is Sigvald taking potshots with the hellcannon while the other lord flies over on his dragon and cracks some heads? Pay attention to the job you're there to do.

they keep trying to "prank" the other army but drown while trying to swim across the river

Gitro
May 29, 2013

LGD posted:

they keep trying to "prank" the other army but drown while trying to swim across the river

Their bodies are like 30% heavy plate, they should not be trying to swim. Come on guys just stay in the drat camp and build the towers.

What determines the labour total of your army? I have one army with 11/turn, my other two have 5 and 6. The main difference is that one army has trolls and giants in addition to spawn and the usual dogs and chosen, but kholek's has dragon ogres, a shaggoth and spawn and sigvald's has a chariot, two knights and a hellcannon. I don't really get it. Is it visible on the unit card somewhere and I've just never noticed?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'm obviously doing something wrong with it, because artillery (any kind of artillery) seems very ineffective to me. I just used three batteries of helstorms against Orcs and they got less kills than my crossbowmen. Cannons, grudgethrowers... it all seems weak compared to missile infantry.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Gitro posted:

Their bodies are like 30% heavy plate, they should not be trying to swim. Come on guys just stay in the drat camp and build the towers.

What determines the labour total of your army? I have one army with 11/turn, my other two have 5 and 6. The main difference is that one army has trolls and giants in addition to spawn and the usual dogs and chosen, but kholek's has dragon ogres, a shaggoth and spawn and sigvald's has a chariot, two knights and a hellcannon. I don't really get it. Is it visible on the unit card somewhere and I've just never noticed?

I have no clue either, but it always takes 1 turn for a ram and 2 for towers for me. So I really don't understand the point of that mechanic. Is it a holdover from previous games?

In other news, I wish there was a mod to replace close defeat with pyrrhic victory in autoresolve. Because close defeat always means (you can win if you play the battle.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Nasgate posted:

I have no clue either, but it always takes 1 turn for a ram and 2 for towers for me. So I really don't understand the point of that mechanic. Is it a holdover from previous games?

In other news, I wish there was a mod to replace close defeat with pyrrhic victory in autoresolve. Because close defeat always means (you can win if you play the battle.

I think in Med 2 you had a total labour pool you pulled out of to build stuff, so like this game but in reverse sort of. Labour overflows, so if you have say 8/turn you can build towers in two turns with 6 left over, so your next lot of towers would be one turn and you'd have four left over, so you could build 6 towers in 4 turns if you really wanted. I guess you could optimise a siege army so you could get four towers in two turns, and it'd be a potentially interesting army composition to come up with except I have no idea how you'd know what units to throw in without extensive trial and error.

I'd also like to know where sigvald is keeping those extra ladders and how he gets them to all go up at the same time.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Gitro posted:

how he gets them to all go up at the same time.

Why, a gift from Slaanesh. :v:

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Mazz posted:

So I have an idea for a mod:

Remember the watchtowers you could build in the old games to give you vision into other areas? I was thinking about those the other day and realized you could probably do something really cool along those lines with razed settlements.

Basically, when a faction clicks on a razed settlement they cannot use, they would get a prompt to build a watchtower. All this settlement option does is "claim" the zone and reveal its borders like you have a settlement there. It has no income or anything, and when an enemy attacks it they get to immediately raze it, like an undefended settlement.

Update on this

So I was able to get this far. Basically you can colonize towns like the occupy anywhere mod, you just never get the settlement tree past the ruins. As it stands you get no income, it does reveal the map, it has no garrison, and it works to stop attrition while you are "garrisoned" there. Unfortunately public order is an issue, since you incur all the regular penalties of a settled province with no recourse yet.

GOing to see if I can build out on superchains or something and get this further along tomorrow.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jun 10, 2016

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

my dad posted:

Why, a gift from Slaanesh. :v:

Prehensile (redacted)

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I'll usually bring along a battery of three. Either Cannons if i think i'm going to be dealing with a lot of monsters, Grudge Throwers if not.

Been trying out Organ Guns spaced between the front line instead of Thunderers and it works kinda okay.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Rome 2 had a bunch of cooldowns to press on every single unit and it was just great.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
So this wave of chaos is rather intimidating. :black101:

Also, I made a great ally this game :v:

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Mazz posted:

Update on this

So I was able to get this far. Basically you can colonize towns like the occupy anywhere mod, you just never get the settlement tree past the ruins. As it stands you get no income, it does reveal the map, it has no garrison, and it works to stop attrition while you are "garrisoned" there. Unfortunately public order is an issue, since you incur all the regular penalties of a settled province with no recourse yet.

GOing to see if I can build out on superchains or something and get this further along tomorrow.

It's maybe not ideal, but I think you may as well just give it a large public order bonus. I mean, it still wouldn't be worth taking up an entire settlement slot in regions you could colonize with an actual town.

You probably need a garrison there, though, given how the AI is about attacking poo poo without one. Doesn't seem like it would be particularly imbalanced if you made them cost a little money.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jun 10, 2016

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
One problem might be that if you complete a province with towns like this, you get access to commandments.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Couple more answers from the AMA on reddit.

Q: What unit size was magic balanced on?

A: Large unit size received the most attention in this regard.

Q: Will Brettonians at least get wedge formation? It's kinda their thing in TT blah blah blah

A: I honestly don't know if wedge is planned right now for any point in the future. But i'm passing the feedback on to the design team regardless.

Q: Can we get auto-cast for poo poo like foe-seeker?

A: Not planned, but an interesting idea. I'll pass the feedback on. Thanks!

Q: RO Whyyyyyyyy?

A: Primary driver to make a change was to improve the late game gameplay. Most Total War games turn in to an auto resolve slog, where nobody can match your might.

Q: Request: once you start having a few lords/heroes, going through them is hard. It would be nice if the keyboard , and . would work not just to "carousel" between provinces, but also between heroes/lords. Also, it would be nice to be able to instantly see the benefit of followers you have, instead of having to mouse over them.

A: Cool ideas. Passing them on to the people that matter. Thanks :).

Not really anything of interest other than reinforcing that you should probably play on Large until they fix magic. (Mind you I do play on large and most vortex spells still suck but hey.)

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Wallet posted:

It's maybe not ideal, but I think you may as well just give it a large public order bonus. I mean, it still wouldn't be worth taking up an entire settlement slot in regions you could colonize with an actual town.

You probably need a garrison there, though, given how the AI is about attacking poo poo without one. Doesn't seem like it would be particularly imbalanced if you made them cost a little money.

I'm hoping I can extend a build chain off of the common ruins and then isolate them by superchains being tied to either Human or Orc settlements. Basically the Orc factions don't see the watchtower unless they are interacting with a human settlement type, etc. I hope if I get it perfectly right it sneaks by and won't crash since there will be no active conflicts. If that works out I can get creative and do all sorts of building effects, even making them cost upkeep. It's a long shot but it might be workable, gonna take a lot of trial and error though I assume since all the chain/superchain stuff is weird to me still. Also it may just not work at all since chains don't seem to use branches anymore (I thought they used to in Rome).

Also yeah I'm thinking I'll give them a shitload of passive public order, since there are no regions where you have both settlement types anyway. I'll want to see if I can hide UI elements or anything like that or change the dialogue prompt to not always use colonize and cost 2500g, but that's all still a ways off. I wasted a lot of time yesterday trying to figure out if I could change the underlying ruins and it seems to be hardcoded. Also figuring out exactly which tables I needed to make a new building chain that worked alongside the major/minor settlements was interesting, and by that I mean loving awful.

I wonder if you could change it with a script that triggers when you occupy, but thats outta my league.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jun 10, 2016

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

madmac posted:

Q: RO Whyyyyyyyy?

A: Primary driver to make a change was to improve the late game gameplay. Most Total War games turn in to an auto resolve slog, where nobody can match your might.

What does RO mean?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Triskelli posted:

Kinda disappointed that CA isn't planning on unit abilities, but I totally understand the decision to do so. Hopefully they (or some modder) restores some of the functionality of stuff like Spear Walls or Cavalry Wedges. I've seen people wishing for a visual clue of when your units are "braced" and the like, it'd make sense for your anti-charge units to automatically form up when they stop moving without having to tell them to.

\/Edit\/

Yeah having active abilities would be too much micro, I'm talking about passive behavior. So spearmen would bunch up and visibly brace themselves while waiting around/when they get charged, or cavalry formation would tighten up in the front and spread out in the back when they're about to collide.

And while I'm dreaming, I'm waiting on some mod that makes units keep their basic shape while the first two ranks peel off to engage the enemy. I'm the kinda toddler that wants to play with blocks instead of Play-doh snakes. :downs:

Have you placed units into guard mode? It might not look exactly like you hoped for but it should be close.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

rockopete posted:

What does RO mean?

Regional Occupation. The thing where factions are limited in where they can settle and occupy.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Mazz posted:

I'm hoping I can extend a build chain off of the common ruins and then isolate them by superchains being tied to either Human or Orc settlements. Basically the Orc factions don't see the watchtower unless they are interacting with a human settlement type, etc. If that works out I can get creative and do all sorts of building effects, even making them cost upkeep. It's a long shot but it might be workable, gonna take a lot of trial and error though I assume since all the chain/superchain stuff is weird to me still. Also it may just not work at all since chains don't seem to use branches anymore (I thought they used to in Rome).

Also yeah I'm thinking I'll give them a shitload of passive public order, since there are no regions where you have both settlement types anyway. I'll want to see if I can hide UI elements or anything like that or change the dialogue prompt to not always use colonize and cost 2500g, but that's all still a ways off. I wasted a lot of time yesterday trying to figure out if I could change the underlying ruins and it seems to be hardcoded. Also figuring out exactly which tables I needed to make a new building chain that worked alongside the major/minor settlements was interesting, and by that I mean loving awful.

I wonder if you could change it with a script that triggers when you occupy, but thats outta my league.

You could definitely have branching upgrades in Rome. I know that there are no branching upgrades in this game, but they may have left the functionality in? Might be worth testing if you haven't already; I believe it worked by defining multiple upgrade junctions. It's been a while, so I won't promise I'm remembering correctly, but I think superchains function as building categories and little else. The whole thing is sort of a mess.

Edit: Actually, thinking about it a little bit more, most of the functionality must still be in place since blank slots do have multiple building options.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jun 10, 2016

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Do recruitment discounts stack? If I have two Lords in a province each with -10% recruitment cost does that give me -20% total or is it limited to one type of bonus per province?

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Oh, I was expecting an actual bad or poorly implemented feature based on the whyyyyyy. RO is one of the best design decisions they made, especially given it can be modded out if users like.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Does anyone know if Vassals lose the base funding? Because I'm finishing up a Dwarve (hard) campaign and I've been having significantly less fun than in my empire one. I don't think I want to build such a sprawling empire again if I can help it. I'll never understand people using the conquer anywhere mod.

I had to confederate Zhufur because the VCs were eating them for lunch and Karak Kadrin because I wanted to unlock Ungrim. The Orcs can move through mountains so can appear anywhere sort of forcing me to keep expanding at a rapid pace. Now I'm running six to seven full stacks up and down the map trying to finally put an end to the Greenskins and VCs while Chaos makes a detour and razes the one settlement I built no walls in. And that one goblin has now so many levels that I have no real hope of ever killing it. I'm also kicking myself for skimping on public order buildings. I thought since I have walls everywhere I could just have one stack leisurely walking the length of my empire and putting down all the rebel stacks. Didn't understand how grudges work. And chaos corruption is also more of an issue.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I love it. I'm fine having only so many viable settlements, it's another thing that makes the races feel different.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Wallet posted:

You could definitely have branching upgrades in Rome. I know that there are no branching upgrades in this game, but they may have left the functionality in? Might be worth testing if you haven't already; I believe it worked by defining multiple upgrade junctions. It's been a while, so I won't promise I'm remembering correctly, but I think superchains function as building categories and little else. The whole thing is sort of a mess.

Edit: Actually, thinking about it a little bit more, most of the functionality must still be in place since blank slots do have multiple building options.

Yeah, superchains still do that, but in set_to_superchain_junction I think you tie the superchains to the build slots in provinces, and orcs and humans have distinct choices. I'm hoping that if I can make a perfectly inversed chain, the game doesn't have any problem with it. All the major names cities also have distinct choices, which is tedious. Turns out this includes Talabheim which was in a super convenient spot in my test save, so I wasted like 40 minutes trying to fix crashes not realizing I never set that specific settlement :v:.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jun 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
Just wondering has anyone had issues in co-op campaign? What does a de-sync look like, do you actually get a dialogue box or anything?

Asking because in a co-op on my friends turn he, as Empire moved his Karl army to take out the tutorial town in the first 10 turns. Trying to fight the battle, he started loading in to the battle map, whereas I hung for a second then got the 'close defeat' dialog as if he had auto resolved (even though I chose 'spectate'). He then got bounced back to campaign map. We both kind of laughed at it though he was a little pissed as the auto-resolve ratio had been in his favour.

But it got worse as next turn he tries to take the settlement again but turns out the AI has moved in 2 reinforcement stacks. Getting to the battle map successfully this time showed something a bit bizarre: both the AI general of the first stack and Karl Franz had 1 HP at the start of the battle and died to the first arrow in their direction. Apart from that, both armies seems totally intact - although naturally he got curb stomped by the three AI armies.

Just thought it was funny and worth a mention as some people here are debating the extent to which the AI cheats- and while I'm sure this was a mix of glitch and bad luck, on paper it seemed like the AI pulled the plug on an unwinnable match to avoid the loss like a bitter online player and then put the odds wildly in its favour next turn.

• Locked thread