Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Deakul posted:

:siren: The Doom 4 season pass is only multiplayer poo poo. :siren:

Oh, haha. I thought it was just emotes and cosmetics. They're selling maps and weapons too. I must have forgotten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

sliderule posted:

This is in the humble narrative bundle, if you have interest in any of the other titles.

Not really, but the BTA price is lower than 80 Days has ever been ny itself, and I'll try out Her Story and Sorcery. Thanks!

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Mortimer posted:

nothing, I own almost 100 games so that's more than I could reasonably play in a few years

I remember when I had only 100 games. What carefree days those were.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!
For anyone interested in the DiRT Rally game, here is a video of how fast the guy yells out directions on the faster tracks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hw7rAoBprCc

it is a good game, but listening to the directions while focusing on driving can be a challenge.

edit: the slower you go the slower he gives directions

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!

Turtlicious posted:

How many hours of new content is Doom 4? With Bethesda games, half the fun is the mods and poo poo that you can only get with DLC, and I heard the two or three fallout 4 DLC's are like 10 hours of content each.

(I'd have a similar response if everyone said Fallout 4. I'm just trying to get a good discussion going on the merits of each.)

Consider the following:

Doom is good.

Fallout 4 is bad.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Mung Dynasty posted:

Consider the following:

Doom is good.

Fallout 4 is bad.

Uhhh, they Dollar Per Hour rule clearly states that a long and lovely game is better than a short and good game

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Doom isn't even that short really. The average campaign run from what I've seen is about 12-14 hours, pretty decent for an FPS campaign. Pity about the multiplayer though.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

WirelessPillow posted:

For anyone interested in the DiRT Rally game, here is a video of how fast the guy yells out directions on the faster tracks:

it is a good game, but listening to the directions while focusing on driving can be a challenge.

I'm gonna quote myself from the DiRT Rally thread:

Edmond Dantes posted:

Jesus H. Christ, I don't think there's a single turn in Finland that doesn't end with "and crest". loving Jump City.

It's definitely not a game you can play while watching an lp or listening to podcasts; you'll need to be 100% focused if you want to avoid running face-first into trees or sliding off a god drat mountain, but when you pull off a perfect run it's one of the best feelings in a videogame ever.

I don't even like racing games that much (even less so the more "sim" ones), but this game is utterly amazing and I'd heartily recommend it.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Deakul posted:

:siren: The Doom 4 season pass is only multiplayer poo poo. :siren:

I'm still really perplexed by that decision. Maybe the majority of the team that designed all of the single player content already moved onto another single player project.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Edmond Dantes posted:

I'm gonna quote myself from the DiRT Rally thread:

It's definitely not a game you can play while watching an lp or listening to podcasts; you'll need to be 100% focused if you want to avoid running face-first into trees or sliding off a god drat mountain, but when you pull off a perfect run it's one of the best feelings in a videogame ever.

I don't even like racing games that much (even less so the more "sim" ones), but this game is utterly amazing and I'd heartily recommend it.

That run cause my water to overheat and was the first of the 4 races, ended up completely focused and have a perfect run on the second track (first place even :)) and it felt amazing. Completely different from the pedal to the metal racing games, or even DiRT 3 for that matter.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

WirelessPillow posted:

That run cause my water to overheat and was the first of the 4 races, ended up completely focused and have a perfect run on the second track (first place even :)) and it felt amazing. Completely different from the pedal to the metal racing games, or even DiRT 3 for that matter.

Yeah, I think the best tip I've gotten for this game was "go slow to go fast". I'm too used to going full speed into a corner, tapping the handbrake and just tokyo drifting around it. That won't work here; you lose more time going getting on the track or resetting your car than you would have lost slowing down a bit more and taking the corner slower.

I'd recommend getting the 1960's Alpine before heading off to 1970 or 1980 and getting killed by the RWDs there, it was added in the last content patch and it's an amazing intro to the rear end-clenching world of RWD driving. (it's also one of the most fun cars to drive in the game, I keep going back to it even after unlocking most all other classes).

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Yw8t9858fg

this sums up Dirt Rally (I still love this game)

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I'm still really perplexed by that decision. Maybe the majority of the team that designed all of the single player content already moved onto another single player project.

someone honestly thought the multiplayer wasn't poo poo and would have legs

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Edmond Dantes posted:

Yeah, I think the best tip I've gotten for this game was "go slow to go fast". I'm too used to going full speed into a corner, tapping the handbrake and just tokyo drifting around it. That won't work here; you lose more time going getting on the track or resetting your car than you would have lost slowing down a bit more and taking the corner slower.

I'd recommend getting the 1960's Alpine before heading off to 1970 or 1980 and getting killed by the RWDs there, it was added in the last content patch and it's an amazing intro to the rear end-clenching world of RWD driving. (it's also one of the most fun cars to drive in the game, I keep going back to it even after unlocking most all other classes).

I'll keep that in mind thanks, still just driving my funky Mini

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

owl_pellet posted:

Well Steam thread, with the summer sale (supposedly) less than two weeks away, what are you looking forward to picking up on the cheap-ish? Based on my wishlist, the level of discount they are likely to get, and how excited I am to play them, I am probably going to end up with some combination of the following:

80 Days
Arkham Knight (depends on how well it runs on my machine)
Dark Souls 2: SotFS
Darkest Dungeon
DOOM (may not be discounted that heavily or at all but I REALLY want to play it)
Far Cry 4
Invisible, Inc.
Life is Strange Episodes 2-5
Lightning Returns: FFXIII
MGSV
Pillars of Eternity
Pinball FX2 assorted tables
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Wolfenstein: The Old Blood

Most of the stuff on my wishlist is EA titles that I'm keeping tabs on, but stuff that I hope gets a decent discount: Rise of the Tomb Raider, Victor Vran, Age of Decadence, Offworld Trading Company, Stellaris, XCom 2 (it's on sale now, but I want to see what it goes for during the summer sale...)

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Mortimer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Yw8t9858fg

this sums up Dirt Rally (I still love this game)

Ahahaha, oh holy poo poo I loving felt that.

I have a collection of "EVENT COMPLETE":

WirelessPillow posted:

I'll keep that in mind thanks, still just driving my funky Mini

The Mini is amazing, but the 70's RWDs will actively try to murder you. The Alpine is a fantastic way of learning the ropes without Mr. Stratos punching you in the dick every time you look in the direction of the accelerator.

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jun 10, 2016

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Edmond Dantes posted:

Same, it's really good

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Y'all get a pair of classic games today on account of them being sold as a package. Let this be a reminder that not every classic ages well, though.

1. Banished
2. StarTopia
3. Imperium Romanum Gold Edition
4. Port Royale 2
5. 1849
6. Cities in Motion
7. AdvertCity
8. Anno 2070
9. Big Pharma

10. Tropico Reloaded

Tropico

The original Tropico came to us during one of the peaks of the city-building genre, right in between Simcity 3000 and 4. You play the dictator of a Caribbean banana republic in the height of the Cold War, building industries and services, issuing edicts, and managing your people as you see fit. It's a more personal game, with every one of your citizens simulated with their own schedules and desires and opinions. Tropico was undeniably ahead of its time and its reception suffered a bit for that. With the benefit of a decade plus of refinement on the formula, however, its flaws are sadly clearer than ever.

Every scenario in Tropico starts you off on an island with the most basic provisions of society, such as farms, shacks, a port, and a palace for your unseen dictator. From there you build farms to feed your people, industries to export goods, housing to get your people out of shacks, and all manner of services from clinics to churches to schools. Each of your citizens has nearly a dozen factors that influence their happiness, and success means keeping these as high as possible. Your control over policy is incredibly granular, allowing you to set wages and management styles at businesses, influence immigration rates, add upgrades to factories. This is to say nothing of the dozens of edicts you can issue, and random events that can have huge effects on your island.

It's an incredibly promising formula that sadly was not fully realized in its first iteration. The chief offender is the citizen simulation, which proved to be more limiting than anything. Your people have to get to work, get something to eat, find some way to unwind, and get home, with each of those steps having a real-time effect on your economy. That means your island can easily go bankrupt if your dockworkers take too long loading ships, or your teamsters get distracted from carting cigars to market. There are bugs in the staffing system as well... I had my clinics and hospitals completely unmanned for decades despite having dozens of qualified workers at lower-paying jobs.

The rest of the systems are similarly half-baked. Your edicts can provide food for the people, prohibit alcohol, change relations with the US or USSR, and disappear some of your problematic citizens. But many of them have very marginal or even detrimental net effects. Relations with the superpowers are difficult to manage in any meaningful way with your limited diplomacy tools. The whole Swiss bank system is also more trouble than it's worth, because the main way to funnel money into your account is to make all your buildings 20% more expensive, which just makes playing the game harder. A large number of buildings and edicts happen to be locked behind providing electricity to your island as well, which is ludicrously expensive and rarely necessary to complete scenarios in the first place.

The whole thing is built on the old, voxelly Railroad Tycoon II engine which gives it a quaint, photo-scanned look but makes it incredibly hard to see elevations as they lie. This will cause you plenty of headaches when trying to build buildings anywhere near each other as you builders have to flatten terrain completely to build. The sound design is solid and contributes to the peppy, kitschy feel of the game, but does clash with the dry look of it. There's no campaign, just sandbox and scenarios that give you basic goals to shoot for over 50 years.

The series has come a long way since the original, which only makes it harder to accept this entry's flaws. Everything there is to appreciate about Tropico has been done better from 3 and on, with nothing left to tickle your nostalgia. I was looking forward to revisiting this title after bouncing off it in my youth, but it proved just as frustrating now as it did then.

Tropico 2: Pirate Cove

It comes as no surprise that Tropico 2 is the black sheep of the series. The only one to break from the banana republic formula, Pirate Cove has you as a pirate king, ruling over an island of buccaneers and captive laborers. It's a novel concept, and I can't be the only gamer who's dreamed of building their own Tortuga, rife with brawling and wenching. And so it was that I came to Tropico 2 with high hopes, and left with them dashed against the rocks.

There are more than a few notable changes from the original Tropico in this installment. As mentioned, you have two separate populations to manage, pirates and captives. Pirates man your ships and keep your island safe, while captives provide all the labor and services pirates need to stay happy. You'll need to shower your sea dogs with booze, wenches, and cards to keep them satisfied, whereas captives must be kept fearful and complacent to minimize the risk of escape. It's an interesting dynamic that mostly works, though a few of your tools for maintaining the nebulous Order and Anarchy figures are things like skull topiaries and cartoonish piles of bones, belonging more in Rollercoaster Tycoon than this title.

Mechanically, the game is even more distant from its predecessor. Almost all buildings are locked to roads and cost no money to build, instead requiring lumber chopped from camps and milled into planks. There's a greater emphasis on supply chains as well, with individual units of corn going from farm to brewery, being brewed into grog, then going from brewery to tavern. Every building has its own hauler in addition to the usual workers, and some have overseers which are usually unoccupied pirates. Much of your production will be in rations and weapons for your ships, which you order out on plundering or kidnapping missions to score gold, captives, and resources on a strategic map.

All of this makes a pretty good setup for a management game, and indeed the first few missions of the robust campaign roll along with promise. The moment you hit the fourth mission, however, the whole thing comes apart. Once you are charged with maintaining the happiness of your pirates and complacency of your captives, you discover just how little control you have over them and how fragile it is. You cannot assign captives to specific jobs, so a little thing like having no hauler for your tavern means it never gets grog, meaning none of your pirates can drink, meaning you're about to have a mutiny on your hands. Same problem if you can't keep enough female captives for your farms and brothels, or even workmen at your lumber camps.

There are simply too many random elements to make the game reliably fun, even in the campaign. In my first attempt at one mission, based around kidnapping key workers, my ship was randomly sunk which forced a restart. On the next attempt I had no extra male captives to man the lumber yard, which meant I couldn't do anything for the first year of a five-year mission. And despite the excellent tutorials and advisor, there are some incredibly poor design decisions. In the first mission where you must manage pirate happiness, you're locked from building them any sort of residence, a key happiness indicator. The whole thing smacks of decent concepts taken to faulty conclusions.

The graphics share the crisp sprite charm of the original, but the pirate motif is far more forced in the stylings and will start to grate once frustration at the mechanics sets in. As much as I like the concept, it's ultimately a game about the most boring part of piracy, and abstracts all the good bits behind charts and text pop-ups. I still think it's possible to get a good game out of managing an island of degenerates, but this certainly isn't it.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Apparently id has taken over the multiplayer side of things now that the game is released and are planning to implement bots and private matches. Who knows if they'll remove the two weapon limit and fix the multiplayer weapon damage and movement speed though.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Re: Warlock 2

victrix posted:

From a page ago, but 100% yes if you like beer & pretzels fantasy tbs. There's a staggeringly good fan mod called Renaissance that... well it does what it says on the tin. Adds and fixes a ton of poo poo, makes the AI a real threat, it's superb. Only catch is it requires all the worthless DLC to play because it uses everything in the game, but yeah. Game + DLC is $15 and totally worth it imo.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=493257789

e: Actually a little less than $15, you don't need the stupid ebook or the soundtrack, just add all dlc to cart and remove those two.

Half hour left on that sale, it's only worth buying on sale, but well worth it if you're a tbs fan

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

here's our new game, it's uhh, it's not like any other game, it's not like any other game at all http://store.steampowered.com/app/460650/

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yes, if it gets you the redditor Noir trenchcoat and fedora.

Sold. Thanks guys!

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Quest For Glory II posted:

here's our new game, it's uhh, it's not like any other game, it's not like any other game at all http://store.steampowered.com/app/460650/

Please don't accuse Dejobaan Games of copying another game. They would never do such a thing!

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

Doom isn't even that short really. The average campaign run from what I've seen is about 12-14 hours, pretty decent for an FPS campaign. Pity about the multiplayer though.

I beat it once and then played it again on a higher difficulty. New Doom is very good.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Stupid question, but how do you leave the official groups on Steam? I am tired of the Payday 2 events popping up all the time when I never play it.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Rirse posted:

Stupid question, but how do you leave the official groups on Steam? I am tired of the Payday 2 events popping up all the time when I never play it.

Hahaha, I was just checking the same thing for the exact same reason.
On your friend's list you have a "groups" tab. Look for the group there, click on the arrow next to the name, "Leave this group".

/edit: you can also hover over your name on the steam client and clicking "groups" there, you get a list of them and the leave option to the right.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Quest For Glory II posted:

I don't mind if they copy SUPERHOT because I always want there to be more SUPERHOT.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Rirse posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/218620 --> unfollow

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

WirelessPillow posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hw7rAoBprCc&t=263s
Who muttered gently caress are you barrelled into the tree?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The Devil Tesla posted:

I beat it once and then played it again on a higher difficulty. New Doom is very good.
I beat it on ultraviolence and then went to get all the campaign achievements and then ate poo poo super hard in the very first fight like 5 times in quick succession before giving up.

Ultra-nightmare is no loving joke

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Thank you that worked. I tried Edmond's method, but for some reason it wouldn't let me leave still.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Is this http://www.wingamestore.com/ a legitimate online shop?

It popped up on my IsThereAnyDeal.com search, but I've somehow never seen them on there before yet 75% off a lot of Sega TW games is tempting.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

fozzy fosbourne posted:

The studio that's been credited with the multiplayer (Certain Affinity) has been shown the door, and Id's taking over the multiplayer for future updates and all the DLC.

They're also doing free DLC for Snapmap and other stuff as part of normal updates. Photo Mode and new Snapmap parts like Skybox windows have already been confirmed for this month.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I don't have New Doom yet, so I've been replaying Doom 1 via the Chocolate Doom engine, which is supposed to be a relative authentic version without weird things like looking up and down.

It's very good (on difficulty 4) and the shotgun makes me weep for video game shotguns that are either fart-guns or require you to jam them directly into someone's face to do anything. It's not even the super shotgun, that didn't exist yet, it's just a really good gun.

This is hardly news but I guess if you haven't played it yet or recently then you maybe should.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Glad Wasteland 2 had a free weekend, can finally take that off my wishlist. Not a bad game necessarily but it's really not what I'm looking for anymore.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Randler posted:

Is this http://www.wingamestore.com/ a legitimate online shop?

It popped up on my IsThereAnyDeal.com search, but I've somehow never seen them on there before yet 75% off a lot of Sega TW games is tempting.

It's legit, yeah. If something's on IsThereAnyDeal, it's safe.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

chrisoya posted:

I don't have New Doom yet
You should fix that since DOOM is the best FPS in years

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Crysis 3 is £1.99 on Origin. It's good, but short and no crysis 1 or 2.

e: or DOOM

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Guys. Guys.

GUYS.

See this? Alien: Isolation Collection for $15?

Go buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

chrisoya posted:

I don't have New Doom yet, so I've been replaying Doom 1 via the Chocolate Doom engine, which is supposed to be a relative authentic version without weird things like looking up and down.
Chocolate Doom tries to be as close to the MS-DOS version as possible to the point of accurately recreating bugs, glitches and even crashes. So yeah, pretty authentic. :v:

• Locked thread