Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
And apparently Meredith Bennett (the producer) is gone from the Late Show now. That's a shame.

I suppose conventional TV wisdom is that maybe Corden and Colbert should switch places. Personally I wonder if that would really make much of a difference since Corden's growing success is with viral online stuff anyway, so people may not tune in to watch it on TV no matter when it airs. But who really knows anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Switching Colbert and Corden would be a straight-up demotion for the former, would probably be some sort of breach of contract, and would be a worse PR move than outright just firing Stephen and replacing him.

CBS is in a weird spot because Colbert Late Show has been kind of a disaster ratings-wise and certainly a disaster critically, and they've gotten virtually no viral impact from Colbert's tenure as host (which is clearly the direction late night is moving in just like SNL had to with stuff like digital shorts and Lonely Island). It's a problem without a clear solution, because James is getting more and more popular online and via clips while Stephen is skewing older and feels almost like a relic.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Yeah, as a big fan of The Colbert Report and the Stewart Daily Show, I've pretty much given up on both now (Colbert Talk & Noah TDS) after trying them out for a few months.

The spark is gone from both and I've since found more entertaining and informative replacements...

It's a real shame and I still wish Colbert the best because he's such a great guy and sharp as a tack.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

And no, Letterman isn't going to pull a Leno

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/david-letterman-i-couldnt-care-901143

I have this gut feeling Colbert is going to end up airing after Conan

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I wonder if Colbert would do better with a format closer to Samantha Bee's, where she almost exclusively focuses on politics/social commentary and doesn't really have guests or any of the traditional talk-show trappings.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I've always been a huge fan of Colbert's but the late show hasn't impressed me at all. It's more the show and not the host; I feel if Colbert were given more of a free reign over the material in the show it would be better. The network late show formula just restrains him.

E: In fact I'm starting to feel that the formula is all done and dusted as it is. One guest a week without going on about inane celebrity news would be far more effective. Basically the Report all over again but at least it was watchable and entertaining instead of the bland crowd-pleasing drivel the late show is.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jun 10, 2016

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Stare-Out posted:

E: In fact I'm starting to feel that the formula is all done and dusted as it is. One guest a week without going on about inane celebrity news would be far more effective. Basically the Report all over again but at least it was watchable and entertaining instead of the bland crowd-pleasing drivel the late show is.

There's basically no denying this. As a big fan of both The Colbert Report and Letterman's Late Show, I personally feel Colbert's Late Show is completely living up to its pedigree. But late night "talk shows" really are a relic of the past. I suppose daytime shows still have that reliable bored housewife demographic going on, but who really stays up to watch people joke about the news and promote movies anymore? There are so many other places to get that, in a way that fits everyone's schedule much better. Colbert is doing a great job of it IMO, but I think the audience CBS is looking for literally doesn't exist.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

im just really sick of the forced CBS interviews with network stars and app developers

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Colbert basically took over the Late Show a decade too late.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I wonder if Colbert would do better with a format closer to Samantha Bee's, where she almost exclusively focuses on politics/social commentary and doesn't really have guests or any of the traditional talk-show trappings.

This is a good idea. They could call it The Colbert Report.

But seriously: the future of late night is the YouTube stuff. I understand that he's got other obligations and doesn't need it yet, but the natural fit for a show would be Andy Samberg (assuming the other LI guys follow).

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Sir Lemming posted:

There's basically no denying this. As a big fan of both The Colbert Report and Letterman's Late Show, I personally feel Colbert's Late Show is completely living up to its pedigree. But late night "talk shows" really are a relic of the past. I suppose daytime shows still have that reliable bored housewife demographic going on, but who really stays up to watch people joke about the news and promote movies anymore? There are so many other places to get that, in a way that fits everyone's schedule much better. Colbert is doing a great job of it IMO, but I think the audience CBS is looking for literally doesn't exist.

Then again Fallon is pretty much crushing the genre, but he does it by just not even bothering with the political/social stuff and just projecting a "Isn't the world awesome" mood all the time, with the added benefit of generating as many memes as possible that later get repeated around the web.

CBS is trying to have it both ways, by having serious political topics but also trying to appeal to the Fallon crowd, which is something that only Jon Stewart apparently could do?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I feel it's more "here's Colbert doing the political stuff like on the Report only less compelling and satirical because we're CBS and also here's all the other stuff including the bland monologue and boring guests like Letterman used to have!" which is all wrangled into the late night format and it just comes across as bland all over. They want to have their cake and eat it, too, and all the while there are other shows doing it all and better at that.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

I really hate the new bite sized "LOL memes youtube you won't believe who sings in a car" segments that Corden and Fallon are made up of, but I also can't bring myself to watch Colbert or Conan anymore, also Conan is edging that way too. Oh well, the format lasted a long time and worked for a long time and I'm just getting old.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

conan has better guests

also andy

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Conan unscripted is the only good reason to watch Conan, which includes most remotes, very few guests, most of clueless gamer or when something goes wrong. Scripted Conan is bad, especially his interviews which you can spot from when he goes "I'm just curious... [prompt for dull guest anecdote goes here]"

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Conan is so good on those serious Charlie Rose esque long interviews he has on the site and YouTube. I watch maybe 10% of everything else he puts on YouTube but I always watch the serious jibber jabbers.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

His Serious Jibber Jabber with Martin Short (who is one of the few good guests on his show) is one of the best things he's ever done. That poo poo is funny.

E: A link, why not:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5lsYCEgqDA

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I think a large part of the issue with Conan right now is that the NBC debacle just completely broke him. He went from hosting The Tonight Show, with its glorious new set, to performing in a bandshell on the Warner Bros. lot. That San Diego week last year really drove home just how embarrassingly small his studio is -- it feels like it would make Craig Ferguson's old set seem huge. He also has, by far, the least viewers of any of the late-night shows, which has to weigh him down just on an enthusiasm level.

I really, really, really would not be surprised to see him leave TBS when his contract is up in a little less than two years.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Conan was phoning it in on NBC for a long time before he got axed. Can't help wonder what kept him going than and what does it now.

Colbert is pretty unviewable, so I don't know if he's necessarily the least viewable one. Kimmel's also pretty creepy and eyerollingly edgy.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Honestly I'd hope so. I feel like Conan's doing himself a disservice in thinking he's completely tied up to the late night format when his true strengths lie elsewhere. If he had more freedom and wasn't tied down to a format he could do something genuinely inspired and consistently funny and entertaining. And I'm sure there'd be plenty of networks that would have him doing something other than an established late night show.

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one
A Conan travelogue would be great. Get Netflix on the phone.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

anotherone posted:

A Conan travelogue would be great. Get Netflix on the phone.

Honestly, him doing something along the lines of An Idiot Abroad would be amazing.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

ufarn posted:

Conan was phoning it in on NBC for a long time before he got axed. Can't help wonder what kept him going than and what does it now.

I don't know if it's still on Netflix, but the documentary "Conan O'Brien Can't Stop" is quite revealing, and I'd say it's a must watch for anyone remotely curious about these shows. Perhaps it was just hyped up for dramatic effect, but it really seems like he's addicted to putting on a show.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

It certainly doesn't feel like it's hyped up; the title is completely accurate in that he's addicted to performing in front of an audience in any capacity. If you look at any interview he's done, even if it's one where he's being candid, he's still performing to some degree. Just like in the documentary, he can't stop doing it. Which is why it's a shame that he's limiting himself the way he is now simply because his big break came in the form of a late night show.

Seriously, if you haven't seen his episode of Inside the Actors Studio (which he was on for some reason?) it's amazing. Or any interview thing he's done, like his Google Talks or whatever. The dude is just on, all the time.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Stare-Out posted:

Seriously, if you haven't seen his episode of Inside the Actors Studio (which he was on for some reason?) it's amazing. Or any interview thing he's done, like his Google Talks or whatever. The dude is just on, all the time.

Bill Carter gets into this pretty deeply in The War for Late Night; Conan readily admits he just has this deep-rooted, pathological need for attention.

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one
Wow, middle child of six, having an unquenchable desire for attention? Strange!

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

It's a pretty good documentary, at least I enjoyed getting to see Conan being a real rear end in a top hat which rarely comes out on his show.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Where can you get this documentary now? Netflix says no.

Nevermind, it took 4 seconds of googling.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.

Timby posted:

I think a large part of the issue with Conan right now is that the NBC debacle just completely broke him. He went from hosting The Tonight Show, with its glorious new set, to performing in a bandshell on the Warner Bros. lot. That San Diego week last year really drove home just how embarrassingly small his studio is -- it feels like it would make Craig Ferguson's old set seem huge. He also has, by far, the least viewers of any of the late-night shows, which has to weigh him down just on an enthusiasm level.

I really, really, really would not be surprised to see him leave TBS when his contract is up in a little less than two years.

Set size has nothing to do with it. His set is far larger than any set in 30 Rock or even the Ed Sullivan.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
The bits on Conan are still really good. The interviews, like every late-night show, are awful. I pray for a day when late-night shows do away with 90% of interviews and just let the hosts be funny and/or interesting. Samantha Bee is already doing this.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

The Duke posted:

It's a pretty good documentary, at least I enjoyed getting to see Conan being a real rear end in a top hat which rarely comes out on his show.

You sure about that? Look up the scraps segments on youtube, cut bits or practice sessions where Conan is almost invariably an rear end to one of his people. A funny rear end, but an rear end.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Pander posted:

You sure about that? Look up the scraps segments on youtube, cut bits or practice sessions where Conan is almost invariably an rear end to one of his people. A funny rear end, but an rear end.

From what I can gather, it's always in good jest. There was a Paley Center interview with Conan's writers circa Late Night and they pretty unequivocally said that Conan would rip on his staff constantly but it was always a joke. Also yeah, the Scrapisodes are definitely worth a watch, that's primo unscripted Conan.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Stare-Out posted:

From what I can gather, it's always in good jest. There was a Paley Center interview with Conan's writers circa Late Night and they pretty unequivocally said that Conan would rip on his staff constantly but it was always a joke. Also yeah, the Scrapisodes are definitely worth a watch, that's primo unscripted Conan.

Eh, some of the time. You can tell he's really in rear end in a top hat mode when he starts getting passive-aggressive.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

That's weird, I've never really gotten that. I think I've heard Conan and his staff say that he likes to play the "jerk boss" role a lot as a joke where he does stuff like rip on people but I don't think I've noticed it being genuinely malicious.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

zakharov posted:

The bits on Conan are still really good. The interviews, like every late-night show, are awful. I pray for a day when late-night shows do away with 90% of interviews and just let the hosts be funny and/or interesting. Samantha Bee is already doing this.

It would require big changes. They get their money from those interviews.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
...reading this thread, I think I'm the only person here who not only enjoys Colbert's show, but watches it religiously.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

pwn posted:

...reading this thread, I think I'm the only person here who not only enjoys Colbert's show, but watches it religiously.

:hf:

Colbert needs to have David Duchovny on at least once a month. They have good chemistry. It was great watching them crack each other up with the blanket party bit.

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

I share a lot of the complaints people have but I still watch it most nights. Often watch Conan too.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Timby posted:

Eh, some of the time. You can tell he's really in rear end in a top hat mode when he starts getting passive-aggressive.

Conan's got that passive aggressive streak where he's making jokes and haha it's all in good fun, but you can tell there's a bit of an edge behind it, and he actually means it just a little bit.

That documentary was fascinating, mostly to watch Conan nearly kill himself with the tour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I still make an effort to watch every episode of Colbert, Noah, Wilmore, Oliver, and Bee. Sometimes I'll skip the guests on Colbert, but I'll usually keep them on in the background. It's not easy, and I often wonder if I'd otherwise use this time for Netflix or whatever. I thought I'd give up on one or two of them by now, but it hasn't happened yet.

I still like the Report-esque bits on The Late Show. I'll admit the guest interviews and even the skits with guests aren't so good, save for the one he did with Lin-Manuel Miranda. I enjoy most of Colbert's election coverage. Cartoon Trump is pretty much the show resigning to "lol nothing matters" when it comes to trying to take down Trump. (I won't blame Colbert for this.) Wheel of News is rough. And Friday Night Fights is a worthless weekly bit. Not sure how I feel about the new cold openings. I know Colbert's only bit with Happy Deli wasn't funny, but I wish he'd give another stab at trying sketches with Rupert.

I noticed there hasn't been too many bits where Colbert goes out and films a sketch in the field. I understand why'd he distance himself from The Report, but I'd wish he'd still do it a lot because he and Conan are great with trolling people. It might be the case that his schedule forbids more polished, edited bits.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Jun 12, 2016