Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

Eldragon posted:

I'm really struggling to wrap my head around why CIG is having trouble with the cinematic sequences. Are they really so dumb that they are going to try to do the entire game from first person, while also having epic cinematic scenes? Jesus loving Christ that's dumb if that's true.

Leveling systems suck, they all suck. DX:HR was nice in that the "leveling" was really just unlocking cool new abilities so you could change up your playstyle as the game progressed.

Witcher 3 leveling system made you make hard choices about witch abilities you got to use, and you could switch your abilities around easily. What sucked was you had to burn large numbers of skill points on abilities you'd never use, and you eventually reach a point where you don't even use your own skill points and effectively stop leveling. Then Blood and Wine came along and now I can burn all those unspent points.

This has been apparent since the morrow tour. All of their mo-capped animations were playing back exactly how they were filmed with no sort of integration with player AI, so the NPC's couldn't track you with their heads when you moved around or avoid any obstacles, like really basic poo poo thats been done since half-life (the first one).

You can see it for yourself in the game right now, all of their fideltous immersion animations have the awesome side effect of warping you character to exactly where you need to be for an animation to start playing.

The devs are making it seem like groundbreaking work is being done to solve this, which shitizens will no doubt crow about, except 1. it's been solved for the last 20 years, 2. CIG haven't actually solved it yet, and probably wont, without first throwing away lots of their mo-cap poo poo.

edit: yesss i get to post a catte of my dog

Nicholas fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jun 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
If CIG somehow made the heads independent to the motion captured bodies so they looked at you as you walked around you just know they'd spin 360 degrees like fuckin space owls or something :lol:
I really hope they do this

Deedrix
Jun 6, 2016

"Give me money and I'll give you shit in return."
CIG ToS
This is all speculation, but my spidey sense is rarely wrong in these matters.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/332276/i-am-calling-it-i-predict-sq42-will-launch-at-citizen-con

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
its less stupid than space pilgrams who evolved the ability to navigate through space

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

peter gabriel posted:

If CIG somehow made the heads independent to the motion captured bodies so they looked at you as you walked around you just know they'd spin 360 degrees like fuckin space owls or something :lol:
I really hope they do this

But then they'd call it a feature: immersive satanic possession.

And they'd put in on their website and talk about how you can <<USE>> another player to exercise the demons.

And then a goon would post a silly gif of satan running on a treadmill.

Then they'd fix the typo.

But it would be broken because it would twist the high fidelity neckbones and kill the player if someone ran around you in circles.

Then they would remove it, and commandos would cheer and say Mission Accomplished, we made the game better.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

I.N.R.I posted:

Make sure to call your parents every so often. They worked very hard to raise you with love and they would like to hear from you

You didn't call and stop by ITT for ages, you hypocritical gently caress.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
REMINDER:

G0RF posted:

Remember, Mass Effect: Andromeda takes the stage during EA's big E3 Event.

Set your reminders for Sunday June 12, 1PM PT / 4PM ET

Here are the times of other E3 Events.

In honor of that, my Space Game Development Chart is now feature complete and locked for release. Please use it anywhere and everywhere you see stupid rationalizations of a 4.5 Pre-Alpha Stage for Star Citizen.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

CrazyLoon posted:

You didn't call and stop by ITT for ages, you hypocritical gently caress.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I got hungry and bored but if somebody feels up to it:

e: timg

Tijuana Bibliophile fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jun 10, 2016

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Nicholas posted:

This has been apparent since the morrow tour. All of their mo-capped animations were playing back exactly how they were filmed with no sort of integration with player AI, so the NPC's couldn't track you with their heads when you moved around or avoid any obstacles, like really basic poo poo thats been done since half-life (the first one).

So then CIG manually tweaks all of the mocap to follow the user, but it still won't look quite right and be a bit creepy. Then spergs will then say "I love how immersive it is that the characters don't look right at you, no one looks me in the eye in real life anyway!"

G0RF posted:

Remember, Mass Effect: Andromeda takes the stage during EA's big E3 Event.

Set your reminders for Sunday June 12, 1PM PT / 4PM ET

Here are the times of other E3 Events.

Considering how all of DA:Inquisition and the ending of ME3 was a giant disappointment, unless they announce something "new" to the mass effect series, like space combat, I'm not sure I'll even be excited about this one.

Eldragon fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jun 10, 2016

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I got hungry and bored but if somebody feels up to it:

Good god, give us some loving warning....

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Eldragon posted:

So then CIG manually tweaks all of the mocap to follow the user

I may be mistaken, but I'm under the impression this is actually really hard to do since the mocap data isn't easily translated into manageable keyframes

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Sometimes the simple tweaks are the most satisfying.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

I may be mistaken, but I'm under the impression this is actually really hard to do since the mocap data isn't easily translated into manageable keyframes

It's literally impossible since CIG are absolute fuckwits

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Do you really think CR would do anything less than taking the really hard, time consuming, demoralizing route to achieve a goal?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Furious Mittens posted:

Good god, give us some loving warning....

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

You know back in 2013 they were living it up. Chris was going around giving smug speeches at conferences. Sandi was covered in adoring fans. And Ben was in the center of it all. It must have been one hell of an experience for a year or so. I mean, top of the world probably just barely scratches the surface of what it felt like.

Now though. Now that heaven is quickly turning into hell.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

I clearly don't understand game development, but I read a lot of stuff on the Internet.

In the QA/play-testing process, isn't one of the very first things they do piling a bunch of low-paid people into a room for a couple days and have them do things like "run your character into every wall on this map to make sure nobody clips through them"?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

peter gabriel posted:

It's literally impossible since CIG are absolute fuckwits

Very good point

Eldragon posted:

Do you really think CR would do anything less than taking the really hard, time consuming, demoralizing route to achieve a goal?

Very good point

:eyepop:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

today is a low effort day

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Is this fair <<USE>> ?

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer

Made in paint because crobbers don't deserve better.

Rodney-CK
Jun 19, 2004

LGD posted:

Seriously thank you, it's a huge asset

And I'd say that not only is it evidence that SQ42 is early in development, it's evidence that they've shot a bunch of motion capture without having any idea whatsoever about how it'd get integrated into a game. I mean how else can you interpret this?

To me that sounds an awful lot like they've got hours and hours of motion capture and dialogue for a movie that doesn't lend itself to an interactive experience at all. So lots of full conversations of Sandi talking out the story with famous actors, with no real consideration for branching dialogue or story changes that might need to happen due to concerns that emerge during development. That seems like a major, major problem when we know that mo-cap movie must have cost literally tens of millions to put together, because it suggests that they've either wasted an enormous amount of resources producing useless material or the gameplay is going to suffer as it takes a back seat to a static "cinematic" experience that doesn't integrate or mesh well with what the player is doing (or both). I mean I'm sure this isn't news to anyone in this thread, but such an explicit admission should be pretty shocking.

I'm sure it'll have the same quality as GTA where if somebody was doing an exposition dump during a mission, and you hit a car or them and they went into their "what the hell???" speech, they'll naturally pick up where they left off and continue.

Because Rockstar is almost as good as CIG.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Star Citizen: Looks like there's a huge turd up in there.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Now you've gone and triggered me

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Here's a handy Klingon alphabet reference for when CIG runs out of human letters for their patch versions.

I'm particularly looking forward to version 'ng', because that's the noise Star Citizen streamers make when their character clips out through the cockpit.

HAPPY TO HELP

FailAtMagic
Apr 11, 2011
:CiG:

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

CIG, here's the Vulcan alphabet for when you've run out of human and Klingon letters and characters.

I'm particularly looking forward to version shom-sfek, as I believe that's when vaulting and parkour will be in the game.

HAPPY TO HELP

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

What's up with the running?
Looks like he has a huge turd in there.

Same thing I was thinking!

115 million dollars folks.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!
Back guys! Had to deal with a couple things at work, but just now catching up.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Hi again CIG

This is a completely imaginary alphabet, you can imagine anything you like in here and it will appear in two weeks

When you run out of human, Klingon and Vulcan letters and characters for your version numbers, you can start imagining all kinds of never before seen characters and letters and for a brief moment feel exactly like all of your customers when they fail to appear

HAPPY TO HELP

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

ManofManyAliases posted:

THANK GOD

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

SomethingJones posted:

Hi again CIG

This is a completely imaginary alphabet, you can imagine anything you like in here and it will appear in two weeks

When you run out of human, Klingon and Vulcan letters and characters for your version numbers, you can start imagining all kinds of never before seen characters and letters and for a brief moment feel exactly like all of your customers when they fail to appear

HAPPY TO HELP

Please stop posting pics of the creative portion of chris's mind thank you

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Lladre posted:

Same thing I was thinking!

115 million dollars folks.

checks out

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

peter gabriel posted:

Please stop posting pics of the creative portion of chris's mind thank you

That's 300gb of absolutely nothing right there you know

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
My one disappointment with this forum is that Great Leader Derek Smart does not post as much in this thread. I miss him and what we used to have.

Also hello reddit, just a reminder that Star Citizen will never leave alpha and literally no one cares about it aside from you and a joke thread on a dead comedy forum.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

ManofManyAliases posted:

Did you draw the pooping butt? Is it to represent your posting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

SomethingJones posted:

That's 300gb of absolutely nothing right there you know

Looks great!

• Locked thread