Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010
I'm playing as the orks on very hard, and around turn 130 I've cleared the official dwarves and chaos and all I'm left with for the short victory is the empire. So, I take 4 stacks + accompanying waarghs on a suicide rush to just kill them and win the game. The empire however are allied with I think every single other existing faction in the game, including the offspec dwarf dudes who have been my best friends in the game since turn 2 with whom I have happily split half the badlands. But apparently they like their new empire friends a lot more than me and next thing I know they are taking my half of the badlands for themselves. This is fine, if I kill the empire I win the game anyway I don't need to own any territory...

...until after killing the empire I realise that in the mess one of the generic ork factions respawned and now I no longer satisfy the victory condition :suicide:

e: bonus AI bullshit -- while I was killing the official dwarfs, when they had a single settlement left and were a turn from defeat they would conveniently confederate the ~25 settlement offspec dwarves (the ones that were my allies). I reloaded 7 or 8 times trying different means of killing them so as to try and avoid this get out of jail free trick and eventually it worked but I guess the key point here is don't play the harder difficulties they are stupid why am I doing this.

foolish_fool fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jun 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

That 3v3 rundown owned

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.
When people say 'checkerboarding' do they mean like...

ranged melee ranged melee ranged melee
melee ranged melee ranged melee ranged

??

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

NT Plus posted:

When people say 'checkerboarding' do they mean like...

ranged melee ranged melee ranged melee
melee ranged melee ranged melee ranged

??

Replace the "ranged" in the top row and the "melee" in the bottom row with "gap" and that's about it. The gaps allow the ranged units to fire whilst the melee units are close enough to react to anyone trying to charge through them.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

:psyduck: I'm retarded. Can I get a screenshot of this formation?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

NT Plus posted:

:psyduck: I'm retarded. Can I get a screenshot of this formation?

It's in the OP

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

It all makes sense now. Thanks goons.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

melee_____melee_____melee_____melee
______range_____range______range______

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

How the gently caress do I have them March in formation

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

ZenVulgarity posted:

Use the lock button on the group.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

ZenVulgarity posted:

Select everyone you want to march in formation and press Control + G. It'll force them to maintain formation when moving.

If you give them an attack order a group they'll also advance in formation at a walk and charge an appropriate unit in their path if they cross one. Good for doing a quick counter charge or advancing towards the enemy while you go gently caress about with cavalry.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Fans posted:

Select everyone you want to march in formation and press Control + G. It'll force them to maintain formation when moving.

This should be added to the FAQs in the OP. I don't remember the game even mentioning it.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

unwantedplatypus posted:

Yeah, Legendary sounds like tedious difficulty more than anything else.

Reik posted:

Is there a mod that creates pseudo-Legendary with the better AI and other quantitative penalties but you can save the same and have a minimap and stuff.

Also, I feel like Very Hard just means "Now you have to build a Refectory in every province sucker!"

The difficulty for tactical battles peaks at very hard and you can change it during a campaign in one of the Esc menus. Legendary is quite literally just very hard with higher public order and income penalties, more passive AI advantages to income and growth, and some other awful bullshit I can't remember offhand.

Now that they changed the achievements to work with very hard as well as legendary there's very little reason to actually subject yourself to that anymore.

FWIW Legendary is the only difficulty that people complaining about the AI cheating is valid for though, because they are.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jun 10, 2016

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
You can also set it so that groups automatically lock formation when you create them. It's in the options somewhere.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Mazz posted:

The difficulty for tactical battles peaks at very hard and you can change it during a campaign in one of the Esc menus. Legendary is quite literally just very hard with higher public order and income penalties, more passive AI advantages to income and growtg, and some other awful bullshit. That they changed the achievements to work with very hard as well as legendary there's very little reason to actually subject yourself to that anymore

FWIW Legendary is the only difficulty that people complaining about the AI cheating is valid for though, because they are.

Going off the one random CA dudes comments just before release, the modifiers for VH in tactical combat are roughly a +12% bonus to most stats, along with like +10 or +15 (I forget which) LD while the player gets -10 LD.

It's really the LD bonus that's decisive, on VH the AI will fight practically to the death, making it harder to collapse flanks ect and battles being longer and grindier in general.

madmac fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jun 10, 2016

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Yeah on VH or Legendary I really don't see the AI rout. This is a real issue with the Ork units most of all. The way they rout and either drag units with them or come back 30 seconds later and rear charge the guys you told to go back to position gets quite annoying.

I get units breaking and coming back, with this implementation some units of wolf riders will break like 3 times before they finally die and that gets quite tedious if they have 4 units of them which means a lot of breaking and re-engaging micro.

I find myself using Guard mode for infantry that is going to deal with these chain rout units, which helps but still - routing should always be a bad thing. Crap like units routing past your wall then reforming on your cap point and starting to cap is super dumb.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?
What's been fun lately is seeing something like a Luminark of Hyesh beam coming in and two shotting my general, but whenever I take one the shot clips through whatever I'm firing at and does 0 damage. How I win sometimes with conditions like that is well beyond me.

That said, how the sod do I assassinate generals as Dwarves? I don't think they can, but it's worth asking.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

foolish_fool posted:

I'm playing as the orks on very hard, and around turn 130 I've cleared the official dwarves and chaos and all I'm left with for the short victory is the empire. So, I take 4 stacks + accompanying waarghs on a suicide rush to just kill them and win the game. The empire however are allied with I think every single other existing faction in the game, including the offspec dwarf dudes who have been my best friends in the game since turn 2 with whom I have happily split half the badlands. But apparently they like their new empire friends a lot more than me and next thing I know they are taking my half of the badlands for themselves. This is fine, if I kill the empire I win the game anyway I don't need to own any territory...

...until after killing the empire I realise that in the mess one of the generic ork factions respawned and now I no longer satisfy the victory condition :suicide:

e: bonus AI bullshit -- while I was killing the official dwarfs, when they had a single settlement left and were a turn from defeat they would conveniently confederate the ~25 settlement offspec dwarves (the ones that were my allies). I reloaded 7 or 8 times trying different means of killing them so as to try and avoid this get out of jail free trick and eventually it worked but I guess the key point here is don't play the harder difficulties they are stupid why am I doing this.

That's what you get for allying dwarves as orcs and not just securing the whole corner of the map :colbert:

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Yukitsu posted:

That said, how the sod do I assassinate generals as Dwarves? I don't think they can, but it's worth asking.

Shoot it with guns. That's about as fast as you're going to get unless you can get your Lord into combat with it at the same time.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Yukitsu posted:

What's been fun lately is seeing something like a Luminark of Hyesh beam coming in and two shotting my general, but whenever I take one the shot clips through whatever I'm firing at and does 0 damage. How I win sometimes with conditions like that is well beyond me.

Dwarves don't get a specialized assassination agent, so the best you can manage is to make do with Thanes, who at least get the +8% bump to assassination chance midway through their campaign chain.

Alternately, and I mean this literally in some cases because assassination missions suck rear end with Dwarves, you can just wipe out the target faction and you'll get a second, easier objective instead.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?
^ It's not really a problem in campaign since the AI is less of a dick about flying casters that kill your general by flying in and out with their kill general spell, it's more a multiplayer issue.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Shoot it with guns. That's about as fast as you're going to get unless you can get your Lord into combat with it at the same time.

I was afraid of that. Been noticing the Brettonian and Dwarven lack of "use ability on general" ability to kill it really fast really hampers their rosters, but at least Brettonians can pick apart a flyer general if your opponent takes one.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Pipski posted:

This should be added to the FAQs in the OP. I don't remember the game even mentioning it.

It doesn't iirc otherwise I wouldn't have asked here

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Washin Tong posted:

Because it is and always has been the No Morale, Infinite Gold and Stack Spam mod.

Weren't they calling those trainer mods back in those halving Diablo days?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Has anyone tried playing with the varientmesh files? I tried opening one I extracted with Tweak and it loaded kinda but without any of the assets.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Man, I've been playing this game way too much since release. It's just so good. I've finished two Very Hard campaigns as the Dwarfs and the Vampires (the first time I've ever 'finished' a total war campaign) and I just can't stop. I still get really annoyed in the midgame just like in every other TW game when you start getting large and needing multiple armies since I get so attached to my original one and just want to fight everything with it :saddowns:

The campaign difficulty ratings are really weird though. Dwarfs can be extremely hard if you get unlucky with Grimgor invading early and you don't know how to handle it. Empire is a pretty dickish start as well from what I have found since it's so easy to get bogged down fighting Norscan raiders for ages which cripples your economy. Meanwhile Chaos was pretty simple from what I've played so far, just awaken a bunch of tribes and they'll handle most of the work by themselves. Then you have Vampires where Mannfred and his Varghulf pretty much can two-man the first 20 turns or so by themselves.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Fans posted:

So had a Goon game last night
Were you playing Dorfs? Dorfs are the best. True Fact. Having shitloads of ranged damage and units that never break owns.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Has anyone tried playing with the varientmesh files? I tried opening one I extracted with Tweak and it loaded kinda but without any of the assets.

Tweak is best used as a viewer to confirm things to then actually change in the PFM. The PFM is extremely more friendly to changing things since it's just handling it like spreadsheets and not a full blown database editor.

The variant meshes are in models.pack last I remember, and need to be "open as text". It's a lot less visual but but it reads like XML and is really straightforward.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 10, 2016

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
Does anyone have a map of all the resource locations?

Been wondering if there's anything good down in Tilea or Border Princes but I haven't spent any time getting down there.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Zephro posted:

Were you playing Dorfs? Dorfs are the best. True Fact. Having shitloads of ranged damage and units that never break owns.

No I was the Orcs and I think you'll find Grimgor is the Greatest.

That and Black Orcs because Black Orcs never run, never die and gently caress everyone's day forever.

Yukitsu posted:

Most of the General deaths in the 3 vs 3 we did were mainly down to Dwarf Thunderers just loving blasting them out of the air. Karl Franz dropping one was mainly thanks to the Thunderers weakening it so bad it was an easy kill. Cannons and Thunderers together do the job very nicely, you just need to get them in a position to take the shot.

Quarrelers won't do it, they don't have enough damage to hurt Generals much. You need that AP ranged. Your Lords however are both pretty darn good in 1 vs 1 fights and will take out pretty much anyone who isn't Grimgor or Manfred, so that's an option if they don't have a flying mount!

Ranged AP is just so much better for lord sniping because the entire unit can hit one model. Hammerers are poo poo at it because only a few of them can take a swing at a time and they'll take forever to kill them.

Fans fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jun 10, 2016

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
So I found this video...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YkA7IwqDU8
So, turns out that, (sensibly, when you think about) longer weapons have a longer range, eg, dudes with spears can actually get the first attack on dudes with swords charging them, due to having more reach.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Yukitsu posted:

^ It's not really a problem in campaign since the AI is less of a dick about flying casters that kill your general by flying in and out with their kill general spell, it's more a multiplayer issue.

I was afraid of that. Been noticing the Brettonian and Dwarven lack of "use ability on general" ability to kill it really fast really hampers their rosters, but at least Brettonians can pick apart a flyer general if your opponent takes one.

From what I gather multiplayer balance is basically a shitheap of a few wildly overpowered standouts dominating everything else, resulting in the meta of Death Lore & Demigryphs.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Stephen9001 posted:

So I found this video...
So, turns out that, (sensibly, when you think about) longer weapons have a longer range, eg, dudes with spears can actually get the first attack on dudes with swords charging them, due to having more reach.

That makes sense and is cool and good

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Stephen9001 posted:

So I found this video...

A good rule of thumb for TW games is that all those animations are not just an abstraction of what is happening, attack animations, projectile physics and collisions are all something that matter a great deal. On a purely technical level, the TW battle engine is kind of nuts.

On another note, got around to doing some testing on Greenskin Archers finally.

Conclusions:

Gobbo Archers are hot garbage, their ranged damage on any target with an armor value greater than zero is pretty much irrelevant. Good against Zombies and Savage Orcs, terrible vs anything else.

Arrer Boyz are comparably solid, the key advantage for them is having actually quite high (5) AP damage, so they pack a solid punch against armored targets and definitely do the most damage over time of all greenskin archers. Being decent in melee is also a plus.

Night Gobbo Archers aren't any better at shooting than regular Gobbo's, but poison arrows, fanatics, and ninja-level stealth make them much better support units. It's still a trade-off vs Orc archers but they're definitely worth using.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
I have decided to counter Legendary's bullshit with a lot of bullshit of my own. After taking Marienburg really fast I had Karl spend the next 15 turns constantly sacking that one Orc town next to Marienburg, which boosted his level really high and instantly fulfilled the 'defeat 5 Orc army' quest objectives for Ghal Maraz. Turn 30 and the Emperor has his hammer and the Silver Seal.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

KnoxZone posted:

I have decided to counter Legendary's bullshit with a lot of bullshit of my own. After taking Marienburg really fast I had Karl spend the next 15 turns constantly sacking that one Orc town next to Marienburg, which boosted his level really high and instantly fulfilled the 'defeat 5 Orc army' quest objectives for Ghal Maraz. Turn 30 and the Emperor has his hammer and the Silver Seal.

I imagine the most useful thing from that will be the global 5 public order bonus from Ghal Maraz. Seriously, that is going to help a poo poo-ton, compared to the battle effects (not that those aren't useful).

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

I haven't done an Empire playthrough yet, tell me Ghal Maraz isn't underwhelming in tactical battles. It's head and shoulders above all the other major magic weapons on the tabletop.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

madmac posted:

A good rule of thumb for TW games is that all those animations are not just an abstraction of what is happening, attack animations, projectile physics and collisions are all something that matter a great deal. On a purely technical level, the TW battle engine is kind of nuts.

On another note, got around to doing some testing on Greenskin Archers finally.

Conclusions:

Gobbo Archers are hot garbage, their ranged damage on any target with an armor value greater than zero is pretty much irrelevant. Good against Zombies and Savage Orcs, terrible vs anything else.

Arrer Boyz are comparably solid, the key advantage for them is having actually quite high (5) AP damage, so they pack a solid punch against armored targets and definitely do the most damage over time of all greenskin archers. Being decent in melee is also a plus.

Night Gobbo Archers aren't any better at shooting than regular Gobbo's, but poison arrows, fanatics, and ninja-level stealth make them much better support units. It's still a trade-off vs Orc archers but they're definitely worth using.

Interesting, I was using gobbo archers a lot in the early game because they're cheap and seem to be a little faster than arrer boyz for skirmish mode

I ended up using about 4-5 archers in general and they seemed pretty good at melting targets.

Honestly the gobbo archers weren't the problem, nor were the 3-4 gobbo spearmen I'd use to just tie up bad guys for the orc boyz to flank - it was just the overal poo poo morale of pretty much every unit

Could you give some more info about what's actually good? For example, what the gently caress is a wolf chariot for? I know it has a weiner ranged attack, but am I supposed to be turning on melee mode and using the charge? What about wolf rider archers or spider rider archers? I'd been using wolf / spider rider cav a lot early on just for the charges on archer/grudge thrower lines

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Rygar201 posted:

I haven't done an Empire playthrough yet, tell me Ghal Maraz isn't underwhelming in tactical battles. It's head and shoulders above all the other major magic weapons on the tabletop.

Oh no, it provides a very solid melee attack boost and an active ability that greatly increases Franz's melee potency whilst it's on, it's just that a global public order boost is really loving good, like seriously. Though I will admit it is not really more potent as a melee weapon than, say, Grimgor's axe.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Rygar201 posted:

Yeah no it's really good, it's just that most of the challenge of this game is on the campaign map. On harder difficulties you can easily end up in unwinnable tactical battles from bad situations on the campaign map. So the bonus to the campaign map is going to be the big draw. There's not a ton of difference between a killy lord on a griffin and a very killy lord on a griffin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Just in case any of you were wondering, gobblins whip great weapon dwarf warriors asses. On easy at least. Like no leadership loss and the kind of hp loss usually reserved for lords. It was hilarious to watch in action.

Now it's time to wipe out all humies with the Counts since they're the last dangerous enemy after Azhag, Grimgor, and two gobbo Mages, all 4 with waaghs, took out chaos. Then I'll fill the mountains with green and maybe fight norscans to get a few achievements.

I think it's really frustrating that other factions will only vassalize if you're enemies and going to kill them. I have over 300 relationship with Mannfred and the other, green vampires, as well as more t4 stacks than they have provinces. But low chance of vassalization.

• Locked thread