Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

I think I'm done with BJJ. There's humbling experiences and there's getting your rear end kicked in sparring week in week out for 10 months straight, even against people with only a month's experience I just get flattened.

that's life my dude. bjj is a controlled way to go to these humbling moments again and again and turn yourself into someone that can face them with class and grow. it is not about how good your berimbolo is .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

soy posted:

Reminds me of weight lifting, if I compared myself to everyone at the gyms I've trained at I would have just gone home crying into my ice cream on day 1... Now I'm pretty sure I look like a gorilla to a lot of people starting out. Being poo poo in training is what training is for. gently caress isis!! Go Train!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGJGzAKxxyU&t=30s

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

:911: I cried.

WayneCampbell
Oct 7, 2005
You got me a gunrack?!? I don't even own a gun, let alone alone enough to nessecitate an entire rack.

JaySB posted:

Jiu Jitsu VS The World

For anyone with a decent attention span, I think this is an incredible documentary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPyyp7uVmiA

I thought the film he did roll was decent but JJ VS The world was boring and I had to shut it off like 35 minutes in.

Just show people EBI highlight videos.

widunder
May 2, 2002

WayneCampbell posted:

I thought the film he did roll was decent but JJ VS The world was boring and I had to shut it off like 35 minutes in.

Just show people EBI highlight videos.
I thought Jiu jitsu vs the world was great and especially liked the part with Orlando Sanchez at 1:21:47

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KildarX posted:

:911: I cried.

Joey Diaz is the hero we need.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I think Vs The World was the one bjj video I got bored with & switched off. And I'll watch anything bjj related.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

To each their own. I liked Roll a lot as well. But if I was trying to explain to someone "What is jiu jitsu and why do I let sweaty dudes in pajamas choke me" that is the video I would show them to explain it.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

I think I'm done with BJJ. There's humbling experiences and there's getting your rear end kicked in sparring week in week out for 10 months straight, even against people with only a month's experience I just get flattened.
I was the worst of the guys who started with me and got my rear end kicked day in and day out for a long time. I was probably the last guy to get a submission. I'm now one of the handful that made it to black belt. Please don't get discouraged and if you ever need any technical advice or if you are anywhere near the NYC area and want to train with me, please let me know.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
The two girls that went for a long match at EBI 3 have a great video for BJJ related intros I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxgJNylNtQs

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I remember that match and thinking "drat, I'm really bad at grappling compared to these kids."

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Don't quit man - there is some quote that you only learn in a loss. Just go ahead and commit that general logic to your soul.

(This post turned long and autobiographical and I'm sorry. I'm on prescription everything right now and it's fun to write.)

Personal anecdote - From a very young age I was a "gifted" kid long before the every kid being a gifted snowflake movement. Reading novels at a couple years old, speaking with a vocabulary way above my level, able to eyeball math and stroll through it, playing music, etc. But I was loving STUNTED physically. I was a big ole galoot of a tiny human. My mother used to have to cover the house in hundreds of clothespins and tell me to get them for her. She would say a number like "117!" and I'd collect until I had enough. I struggled with God damned anything involving my body. Fast forward to modern day and it turns out I had a Type One Chiari Malformation and exhibited all the hallmarks of the problem but in 1984 they just said, "The drat kid is an idiot, don't throw anything at him or it will hit his face and he will go through a plate glass window."

I grew up constantly bullied because of my shy, bookish, technically now diagnosed OCD riddled nature. But I was large enough in build that never once did the bullying become physical. This just meant I could look down and ignore it. But the only thing more than a participation ribbon I ever earning in my youth was a fourth place double sack race ribbon. We tied with the other kids for last but the teacher felt more sorry for me and my sack mate, meaning we didn't get last/fifth!

When I was about fourteen I started to realize that not giving any fucks about anything combined with a quick wit could trick you into being somewhat popular. This was inspired by getting a Hawaiian shirt as a gift and wearing it to school. Immediately the cadre of popular kids saw me walk into gym class and started verbally tearing apart my new, extremely loud shirt. I went up to the back of the bleachers to my normal spot to literally put my head down and ignore the eight or so kids laying into me for my dubious fashion choice. Then something snapped, I stood up, pointed at the ringleader and said, "Buck, with a name like that and teeth sticking that far out, I'd just shut my big horse mouth."

I glanced around at the stunned kids and loudly said, "I LIKE THIS SHIRT!" Then I laughed and said, "I REALLY LIKE THIS SHIRT!" This started my year long movement of being the funny guy with a different Hawaiian shirt for every day of the week guy who constantly did anything for a laugh. It worked. I no longer gave a gently caress what other people thought. At all. This opened me up to trying out athletic things and I was quickly reminded - I had the coordination or a tranquilized bear being woken up in February. But I was free to try a world that used to only consist of being picked last in gym.

Where does a bookish, 195 pound kid who just realized he doesn't care about losing at everything go? Well, to sword fighting, naturally. I started joining the local sword fighting organizations. (I saw "sword fighting" because it was LARPing without anyone yelling MAGIC MISSLE. I think the technical word was Dagor Ihr.) I later moved on to fencing obsessively. I would go every night, Monday through Thursday, and to every local tournament. I lost, a lot. My coach used to constantly rack my masked head and yell, "YOU SHOULD KNOW BETTER!" I never got higher than a D rating in epee but I was the guy who would be first on the strip and also last on. I in my core knew I was going to rarely hear that victory buzzer go off. But oh man, when it did, it was better than an evening with a bottle full of lotion and a 56k modem pumping a healthy stream of thumbnail sized handjob videos.

Eventually this led me to trying MMA and BJJ. My first time doing full contact sparring I got paired with a sixteen year old who was about 5'6 and twenty pounds lighter than me. I'm about 5'11 and 205 by this point. With ten seconds left in the second round he faked a jumping kick to my jaw and knocked me out. When I came to with the giant gym fan chopping the light I saw the coach face fill one side of my periphery while my opponent's face filled the other frantically asking, "Oh man are you alright!?!?" I spat my mouthpiece up and out onto my face without lifting my head and exclaimed, "That was a good kick!" Of all my sparring matches I literally don't think you could say I took a single round. I threw my constant jab and had my little, minute victories. But each time that buzzer went off I was about to get a lesson in losing. I loved every second of it.

My first night doing BJJ we had open mats and I eagerly asked the extremely Brazilian coach if I could dive in. He enthusiastically said, "Yes, most watch so early but yes." I was doing what any white belt does their first time, tapping a lot and getting guillotined so hard I started to black out and made a weird, "SnuhgHORK!" noise that made everyone laugh. About my third opponents I'm rolling around with badly sudden stops rolling and says, "You alright?" I turn to look in the mirror and see what looks like red where my teeth are supposed to be. I scoot to the edge of the mat and throw on my glasses and I had split open my lip on his knee being an idiot. I had a smile literally red with blood. I laughed, threw off my glasses, wiped my mouth on my pants, and finished rolling. Again, I tapped possibly two or three people at most in all my BJJ and these were people I could just hulk out over and get something akin to a clusterfuck. I was a glorious mess of nothing but slow progress and losing. But one day my instructor, a tiny cauliflower ear guy who held the number one ranking in his gi division in the IBJFF, "Man, you heart. You have the heart of a lion! Why can't my other students do what you do? You are ah' no afraid to lose and keep coming back for more and ah' more! You might be learning so slow but your heart, man! Your heart!"

Shortly into BJJ that pesky Chiari Malformation was discovered when I developed tinnitus that has not abated in over three years. Ever heard the noise of an electronic device trying to tell you it's dying? Imagine that in your head, 24/7, and you get the Captain Log experience. I've since had even worse medical maladies befall me that will preclude me from possibly any competition again, and I loving abhor the thought. I so badly want to strap on some sort of stupid equipment, or don a fancy hat, and go lose. You learn about yourself in these situations. What do you do in the face of literally unbeatable odds? What do you do when you know that you will not only lose tonight, but every night for the rest of your life? Well, I hope you chose to fight anyways. When you are laying on your back having just been blown out of the water by some beast and still develop the urge to get back up and go again because maybe, just maybe, you will get a better position this time is when you will start to do better in life. Stop giving a gently caress about winning or losing because buddy, any way you look at the path ahead, it ends underground in a box. Or burnt to ash in an oven. Or in the stomach of an alligator. gently caress, do your own thing and I'm sure your body will end up somewhere.

To live is a great long pursuit in losing. The moment you draw a breath it is a loving guarantee that you will one day stop. So you learn about what makes you laugh and dig the ride before that moment. Keep doing BJJ, man. Never, ever, ever, give a gently caress about if you end up giving or getting the tap.

e/n - I'm a life long tard that has learned to not give a gently caress and lose a lot all while enjoying it.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

^^^^ Good post

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Won second place at the grappling industry tournament I mentioned a few days back. I'm super proud and felt like I had a good match, I won't post it unless it's requested though because a lot of my first match was stuck in some form of 50/50 where the guy couldn't do much but kept my leg because he was super stressed.

One win, one loss. :)

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies

Odddzy posted:

Won second place at the grappling industry tournament I mentioned a few days back. I'm super proud and felt like I had a good match, I won't post it unless it's requested though because a lot of my first match was stuck in some form of 50/50 where the guy couldn't do much but kept my leg because he was super stressed.

I'd be up for watching it - was this a submission only or points?

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

IT BEGINS posted:

I'd be up for watching it - was this a submission only or points?

Points match, in the end it kinda worked to my advantage as most submissions I practice aren't legal at intermediate level. I'll upload it to private on youtube and put the link in this post once it's up.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Odddzy posted:

Post it, I love watching mere mortals compete instead of the usual stream of world champion matches in my feed

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
My coach is the one you can hear, I specifically asked him to be as loud as possible because I've got a hard time hearing if I clench my jaw so take it on me if you find him annoying.

At 1:30 I was actually pretty close to tapping but he didn't really have the straight ankle, it was mostly pain and I just needed to get up for it to stop.

Now that I look at the video I really should've done a proper belly down ankle lock instead of the floppy lovely one I attempted. At thirty seconds before the end I was kinda content to stall, unfortunately I was recovering from a very bad cold so my breath was out a minute into the match, otherwise I would've probably been much more active for the finish. Pretty happy about the back take, the side control, the triangle attempt and the straight ankles too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWRjk2l8yzg

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Good stuff! The position you scrambled through at 4:33 is my favourite attack position right now.

If you were to pinch your left arm close to you, he's never going to get it free.

When your right leg is in front of him like it was in your match, you could go for an armbar or a triangle. (a little bit like this, a few weeks back some people in this thread were discussing attacks like this)

Or if your right leg was behind him, you could feed the arm backwards for a darce sequence:

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Good tournament from this weekend down in Bradenton:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JPrG3qIQsg

Production values are shockingly bad, like worse than if you just did it yourself with a phone. Jits are very good though.

Vid breaks down something like this...
10 minutes: kids superfights
45 minutes: sean applegate superfight
55 minutes: tournament
2hr 15 minutes: vagner vs gordon ryan

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Other than Fatherdog who are the goon blackbelts? Or brown?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Captain Log posted:

Yuns is a black belt, not sure who else.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Brown belt here

n3rdal3rt
Nov 2, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Captain Log posted:

In what style?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

n3rdal3rt posted:

In what style?

Krav Maga obv

n3rdal3rt
Nov 2, 2011

Grimey Drawer

JaySB posted:

Krav Maga obv

Obviously...

My bad, I was thinking I was in the A/T MA thread. My question is way less relevant in the Grappling thread.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

n3rdal3rt posted:

Obviously...

My bad, I was thinking I was in the A/T MA thread. My question is way less relevant in the Grappling thread.

I mean you could have just said "I have a black/brown belt in judo" rather than being pedantic.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I'm a gold belt level grappler.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Captain Log posted:

Please teach me the intricacies of the chop down choke.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Captain Log posted:

That's nothing.

n3rdal3rt
Nov 2, 2011

Grimey Drawer

JaySB posted:

I mean you could have just said "I have a black/brown belt in judo" rather than being pedantic.

Again my bad. It seems goons in both threads tend to focus most on BJJ so I was honestly curious if the question was directed towards a certain style for follow up questions. Since it's the grappling thread my question was a bit pedantic but like I said I thought I was in the A/T thread where the question would have probably been more valid.

For content:
I have a brown in JJJ and a brown in Aikido (some consider it grappling-ish, some consider it complete bullshit, whatever). I was also near to my brown in Judo before the class dissolved. Living in the armpit of America doesn't lend itself well to martial arts training options.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

What's JJJ?

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Japanese style Jiu Jitsu

n3rdal3rt
Nov 2, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Captain Log posted:

What's JJJ?

Sorry, Japanese Jujitsu

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

n3rdal3rt posted:

Again my bad. It seems goons in both threads tend to focus most on BJJ so I was honestly curious if the question was directed towards a certain style for follow up questions. Since it's the grappling thread my question was a bit pedantic but like I said I thought I was in the A/T thread where the question would have probably been more valid.

Sorry, I thought you were being sarcastic. Hug it out?

n3rdal3rt
Nov 2, 2011

Grimey Drawer

JaySB posted:

Sorry, I thought you were being sarcastic. Hug it out?
No hard feelings. Text on the internet is about the worst way to communicate.
:cool::respek::cool:

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

Popped a knuckle tonight. Is it worth icing fingers, or should I just tape it up and tough it out?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

MalleusDei posted:

Popped a knuckle tonight. Is it worth icing fingers, or should I just tape it up and tough it out?

Go to a hand ortho, like tomorrow morning if you can. poo poo like volar plate contractures don't feel like major injuries but are permanent.

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies
People at my gym have switched from asking me if I used to wrestle to just telling me that I'm a wrestler. We almost never do stand-up so I'm not sure how they've come to this conclusion ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.

IT BEGINS posted:

People at my gym have switched from asking me if I used to wrestle to just telling me that I'm a wrestler. We almost never do stand-up so I'm not sure how they've come to this conclusion ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Wrestlers in my dojo have a top heavy game, don't like playing from the bottom to setup sweeps, and are good at scrambling. They are also a bit more intense when they roll.