Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!
Wow this is hosed up. AFAIK they are now actively violating Australian Consumer Law every time an Aussie buys their product and hits accept.

quote:

""you agree that any Pledge amounts applied against the Pledge Item Cost and the Game Cost shall be non-refundable regardless of whether or not RSI is able to complete and deliver the Game and/or the pledge items" "YOU AGREE, THEREFORE, THAT YOU WILL NEVER ASSERT OR BRING ANY CLAIM OR SUIT AGAINST RSI, ITS PARENT COMPANY, DIVISIONS, SUBSIDIARIES, AFFILIATES, OR ANY EMPLOYEES OF ANY OF ABOVE, WHICH IS RELATED TO OR BASED ON, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO; (I) A CLAIM THAT YOU “OWN” ANY VIRTUAL GOODS IN THE GAME, (II) A CLAIM FOR THE “VALUE” OF VIRTUAL GOODS IF RSI DELETES THEM (AND/OR TERMINATES YOUR ACCOUNT) WITH A REASONABLE CAUSE AT RSI’S SOLE DISCRETION""

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

trucutru posted:

http://imgur.com/a/Ov1Tt

MoMA was right. It's not a payment, it's a "pledge".

e: Lol, no more "18 months" now you don't get a refund until the game has ceased development and failed to materialize.

Not only that, but you can't violate anyone's copyright with your account name! CIG is SO responsible.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
:lol: what a bunch of thieving shitheads. Nobody in America may be able to blow this house of cards of a ToS down, but I can't imagine this will hold up anywhere with actual consumer protection laws.

We're in the end-game here. I'd be shocked if CIG (as it exists) is a going concern by the end of the year. I think they're going to rig up one last set of smoke and mirrors for CitizenCon to pump the spergs one last time. It'll be a zombie enterprise by then, they'll say "GAME'S DONE EVERYONE" in Q2 2017, then Croberts can have Imaginarium West while everyone else gets hosed.

I think it's 50/50 at best that any part of SQ42 ever comes out as a playable game; just as likely it's a Croberts nightmare machinima movie.

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH

ManofManyAliases posted:

The Dragonfly will likely be flyable this year.
So a vehicle that was conceptualized as a "wasteland skiff" is going to be a thing that materializes on Olisar landing pads?

Or is it "flyable" as a hovering variant of the golf cart for hangars and the social module?

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
I feel like that TOS is just written at Chris Roberts' express command and is like everything else with the game. The people that made it know its poo poo and won't work, but that's what they were told to do.

Promising to never sue the company for any reason, under any circumstances just by buying the product?

That's just funny.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Chin posted:

So a vehicle that was conceptualized as a "wasteland skiff" is going to be a thing that materializes on Olisar landing pads?

Or is it "flyable" as a hovering variant of the golf cart for hangars and the social module?

I'm excited for people to fly away from Olisar in "Wasteland Skiffs" without their EVA-capable suits randomly farting through their business suits.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Booourns posted:

Come on man, you're getting trolled so bad by moma of all people that you are wishing for his death

Yeah you're right that's exactly what I'm wishing, great point.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

This was supposed to be hyperbole.

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
Bury 'em under red tape and jurisdictional assertions, swan off with the money. 'Till then, keep on doing exactly as you please with your pet project nobody asked for.

This is all very unpredictable and hard to see coming!

E: I guess the last thing I'm holding out for now is that if CIG have enough breathtaking contempt for their customers to put up an emergency 'Gosh, please pledge now - any money you can give will help us!' plea at the eleventh hour (whenever that occurs in the next year) for just a little bit more money to stop those evil publishers/goons/Derek winning and just maybe they'll be able to work hard and pull off a miracle. Just before they shut up shop and start folding key companies.

Would they be that morally bankrupt? Your bets, please.

Salt n Reba McEntire fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jun 11, 2016

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

sanctimoniousqfd posted:

Holy poo poo, they're basically saying that any pledges now are non-refundable until CIG has ceased development. Delivery date can be extended as long as they never admit they have stopped trying to ship the game. Then after that, any pledge amounts applied against pledge item cost and game cost (isn't that *all* of them?!) is "non-refundable regardless of whether or not RSI is able to complete and deliver the Game and/or the pledge items".

Not sure these TOS can be considered legally binding, even in the States?

e: "You acknowledge and agree that the Game and the pledge items delivered to you may differ in certain aspects from the description of the Game and those pledge items that was available on the Website at the time of your Pledge."

Doesn't that mean they can put whatever poo poo they want in the game, call it your Idris, Hull-E, whatever, and say "delivered, no takesie-backsies"?

So, yeah, we can keep your money until we have spent all of it on European vacations and have none left to refund, and when you order the UberOverlord 9000, we reserve the right to send you JPEGs of the Lesnicks engaged in scat play.

THIS IS THE DREAM, PEOPLE! No publisher could EVER be worse than this! WE ARE YOUR MESSIAH!

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Fat Shat Sings posted:

I feel like that TOS is just written at Chris Roberts' express command and is like everything else with the game. The people that made it know its poo poo and won't work, but that's what they were told to do.

Promising to never sue the company for any reason, under any circumstances just by buying the product?

That's just funny.

iirc there was some court decision upholding forced arbitration in leiu of lawsuits a few years back. Though I think that was for, like, actual contracts and stuff. Of course that doesn't matter since rsi doesn't have any of that in the tos it's just "NO TAKE BACKS AND NO SUING OKAY?" but im no lawyer.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jun 11, 2016

Blunderstorm
Mar 1, 2016

my grandfather just posts and all i got was this lousy joke, so what
I'd just like to point out that if you look at an actual real games tos it doesn't include any of that poo poo about refunds or giving up the right to sue.

It's shady.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Sankis posted:

iirc there was some court decision upholding forced arbitration in leiu of lawsuits a few years back. Though I think that was for, like, actual contracts and stuff. Of course that doesn't matter since rsi doesn't have any of that in the tos it's just "NO TAKE BACKS AND NO SUING OKAY?" but im no lawyer.

unless I'm mistaken, the ToS doesn't even mention arbitration - it just says "got a problem? gently caress off, we're taking your money"

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

flyboi posted:

But seriously though I'm gonna GORF post for a second although not as long as a GORF post.

The new TOS should be insulting to backers because of a few reasons. The omission of a defined release date. Yes "I don't understand game development" or whatever argument shitizens have but this sends a message that should be clear as day to backers. When the project was first created and subsequently hobbled down the path we are today Chris Roberts and CIG had accountability for their actions and a goal in mind. The new TOS removes any requirement for financials to be released when the project fails which should be alarming to anyone as it means they no longer feel that backers are worthy of accountability on their actions.

The other really bad impression this TOS leaves is that the omission of any sort of release date means that CIG themselves feel this project isn't viable. If their goals and game design were viable they would back their product and have an idea how long it would take to meet and exceed the proposed game and features.

This has been a long con in the sense that throughout this year they've been changing narrative which has been setting them up for this new TOS. We were first told irritably that Star Marine was never happening and already exists although what "FPS" exists is still missing major features shown to have existed within Star Marine. Chris also introduced to the phrase Minimum Viable Product and the hinting of new engine requirements to meet design goals. If you really want to read between the lines of what they've been narrating and with the new TOS Star Citizen as proposed on their funding goals is never happening. By setting up the narrative that they intend to release a "Minimum Viable Product" and changing the language of the TOS they're implying that these funding goals are no longer part of the project scope and may be abandoned or "changed" as time goes on.

My prediction? SQ42 chapter 1 will happen whenever, they'll continue with these bullshit "patches" on the PTU and eventually do a hand wave and proclaim the PTU is complete, bugs and all. CIG is setting up everything so they can get the shittiest turd out the door to meet legal expectations while keeping all the cash these idiots are shoveling to them.

Man, anyone that didn't turn and run when they saw the dichotomy of "We will build you the game you are dreaming about." versus "Minimum Viable Product" are beyond all hope and all help since they have demonstrated a staggering, nay, completely psychotic break with reality. I am ever so sorry for them, and, I hope CIG management burns, burns like no company leadership has ever burned to date. I want them to suffer legal ravages that leave Enron ex-management pissing themselves with nightmares.

Of course, you know what is going to happen.

The crobber is going to tell them they need to return the great star carrier mothership in the sky. Grape or cherry?

Blunderstorm
Mar 1, 2016

Jason Sextro posted:

unless I'm mistaken, the ToS doesn't even mention arbitration - it just says "got a problem? gently caress off, we're taking your money"

It mentions arbitration but also says you can't sue by agreeing

Lmao.

Whatever gently caress head wrote that tos wrote to appease their boss cause that poo poo won't hold up in court.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Lets see if I get this straight..

The minute you come anywhere close to this TOS, you are hosed. Happy foruming...<3

You will only get the small "unearned" portion of the money you gave us back if we roll over and die. By that time, we will have "earned" all portions of your money anyway via trying not to die, so you get nothing.

You agree that if the game you have originally pledged for is not a glorified single player FMV movie with 0 gameplay, you get no money back.

Did you buy something on the grey market? gently caress you, twas a gift. No refunds.

- Fine, I'll melt the fucker and then ask for a refund. Store credit yo.

- Too late, we have refactored the database to account for that and track if the credit came from gifted assets. Happy summer holidays, Br0wnHornet <3

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jun 11, 2016

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
It doesn't need to hold up in court. It just needs to muddy the waters enough - that and the jurisdictional bullshit - so any opponents give up and don't bother. The more people don't bother, the more money they keep.

Given the sort of people who're vocally supporting this I would say they've judged their marks quite well.

I hope it explodes in their face, but it probably won't.

Streetroller
Jun 11, 2016

So up until about 2 hours ago when I read the new ToS I was supporting Star Citizen.

Truth be told, I'm not a Derek fan... and I have a significant investment in Star Citizen...

But with all the recent events of finding out I'm being labeled, the plagiarism, this new ToS made me genuinely angry.
I don't believe that the ToS is legal, because it's worded as a "Contract" with the new indefinite clause in it.

That's a perpetuity contract, I'm pretty sure... and not legal here in the States.
Anyone know a good lawyer?

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

That TOS is utterly bonkers

Someone needs to put it to the legal test

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Streetroller posted:

So up until about 2 hours ago when I read the new ToS I was supporting Star Citizen.

Truth be told, I'm not a Derek fan... and I have a significant investment in Star Citizen...

But with all the recent events of finding out I'm being labeled, the plagiarism, this new ToS made me genuinely angry.
I don't believe that the ToS is legal, because it's worded as a "Contract" with the new indefinite clause in it.

That's a perpetuity contract, I'm pretty sure... and not legal here in the States.

welcome oh yea that has no more kool-aid in his blood stream

as for the lawyer, try Ortwin lol

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

someone get the accc on the blower cuz this poo poo is mental ha ha haaaa

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Streetroller posted:

Welcome aboard Commando. How much are you in for? Also, don't click agree on the latest TOS.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Streetroller posted:

Welcome commando. o9

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Streetroller posted:

Derek smart DEREK SMART DEREK SMART

Welcome to the forums

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Streetroller posted:

welcome to purgatory, join us in the ascent

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

Streetroller posted:

Get a refund, citizen. If that doesn't work, do a chargeback. And if you're not in the USA, you have consumer protection laws that allow you to get it all back.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

so if you're a backer who signed up with the old ToS and don't agree to the new terms do you get a refund?

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
Also, to all the shitizens out there who thought that Derek was full of bullshit for talking about a new TOS, surprise, he was right! Again! As he has been time and time again!

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dragonstoned posted:

so if you're a backer who signed up with the old ToS and don't agree to the new terms do you get a refund?

Yes.

Streetroller
Jun 11, 2016

Dante80 posted:

Welcome aboard Commando. How much are you in for? Also, don't click agree on the latest TOS.

About $3000 (From RSI directly, not gifted)

AlmightyPants posted:

Get a refund, citizen. If that doesn't work, do a chargeback. And if you're not in the USA, you have consumer protection laws that allow you to get it all back.

Unfortunately, I am in the USA - East Coast. I've already sent in my request, but I'm assuming it will be denied as I had to use the website in-order to send in the request in the first place, thereby agreeing to the terms according to them.
I've started documenting everything. I've paid through PayPal, but it was back in 2014, so I'm not sure they will allow a chargeback of that magnitude from that period.

Like I said, I am pretty sure that the ToS "Contract" is illegal due to the perpetuity nature of it... but hopefully this won't end in court.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Streetroller posted:

Perhaps you could agree to walk Legal for Derek?

Humor aside, it's getting harder and harder to point to ways out of this project.

Edit: Paypal will stop allowing disputes on crowdfunding stuff as of the 25th. Try a dispute, not sure what the best possible explanation would be though.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jun 11, 2016

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Streetroller posted:

Well, welcome, buddy! Nice to see you got out at some point before bankruptcy. Welcome to the war.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Streetroller posted:

Unfortunately, I am in the USA - East Coast. I've already sent in my request, but I'm assuming it will be denied as I had to use the website in-order to send in the request in the first place, thereby agreeing to the terms according to them.
I've started documenting everything. I've paid through PayPal, but it was back in 2014, so I'm not sure they will allow a chargeback of that magnitude from that period.

Like I said, I am pretty sure that the ToS "Contract" is illegal due to the perpetuity nature of it... but hopefully this won't end in court.

Paypal stops accepting charge-backs from crowd-funding projects sometime this month. Whatever you do, be fast about it.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Streetroller posted:

Well, as mentioned, initiate chargeback with Paypal asap because they're about to shut that window for good and I have zero doubt Star Citizen is responsible for them changing their policies.

(and no, CIG, this is not out of an "anonymous hate campaign", YOU failed to deliver the product, YOU need to come clean about what is and isn't feasible with this project, but until you cease failing to deliver by your own timeframes, people deserve their money back and a full accounting)

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Streetroller posted:

The TOS you agreed to when making purchases are expired, you still haven't received the final product so you should be able to get a refund.

In any case, be careful with your posting. CIG monitors this thread (:wave: Hi CIG!)

Blunderstorm
Mar 1, 2016

Streetroller posted:

Like everyone said, charge back.

Hopefully this new tos serves as a wakeup to more people cause having stuff about no refunds and agreeing not to sue is NOT normal and should raise a bunch of flags.

dumby
Oct 25, 2007

Lime Tonics posted:

Just posting patch notes again,

Fixed an issue where a floor texture in Selfland Hangar would disappear when viewed from a certain distance.

Hasn't this been in the patch notes for 3 or 4 letters of the Greek alphabet? What exactly is going on in Selfland Hangar?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

If everything about Star Citizen before this new TOS were a bunch of red flags, this is basically an array of tire bonfires spelling "THIS IS A SCAM."

dumby
Oct 25, 2007

This is so goddamned funny. Realizing the level of knowledge about CiG and this thread required to truly appreciate it made me feel ashamed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Oh noes!

• Locked thread