Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Basically this is CIG with its new ToS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

ManofManyAliases posted:

I am not Toast

That said, it's a beautiful Saturday and I'm going to spend it with family and friends. You guys should all take a break from arguing on an Internet comedy forum and do the same. Or not. Be easy dudes.

Nice meltdown.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Well for work I go in and bang out a few lines of poo poo code. It really doesn't matter what I do because we deny all refunds and the important part is really the marketing side of the house. I'm really just here for the illusion of making a game.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

I am not Toast

That said, it's a beautiful Saturday and I'm going to spend it with family and friends. You guys should all take a break from arguing on an Internet comedy forum and do the same. Or not. Be easy dudes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1a2moSpkjuQ

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Oh I work in customer service. By that I mean I blatantly skirt the law, lie to customers, and do whatever I can to make sure my boss keeps as much of the money he didn't earn as possible. It's worth the (UK Minimum wage) that I take and I fall asleep with a smile on my face.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

peter gabriel posted:

Well this sounds promising
blowback from the general shitizen population over the respawn timer is what i'm looking forward to the most.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Heh, well, I'm what you call a concept artist. I steal other peoples work without permission, brush out all the offending parts, and sell this poo poo to people. Boss says I do good work and pats me on the head before he flies down to Monaco.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Ash1138 posted:

blowback from the general shitizen population over the respawn timer is what i'm looking forward to the most.

some have decided to look at the bright side

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster
What if he had decided to cum inside your rear end instead of all over your face. You might have gotten AIDS. Be thankful

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

some have decided to look at the bright side

He's probably right, if there's one thing I've learned it's that if you need advice on how to make a good and fun game a Star Citizen backer should be your first port of call

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

SurfaceDetail posted:

What if he had decided to cum inside your rear end instead of all over your face. You might have gotten AIDS. Be thankful

New thread title please.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

SurfaceDetail posted:

These sorts of analogies work drat well with your AV, gotta say.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

another asset stolen, this time from the space silent hill game

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

I love how :smuggo: and :troll: MOMA suddenly is. Like he can't possibly fathom a way his bulletproof new TOS could ever fail :smuggo:

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster

Wuxi posted:

I love how :smuggo: and :troll: MOMA suddenly is. Like he can't possibly fathom a way his bulletproof new TOS could ever fail :smuggo:

Its airtight in the sense you'd have to go to court to get money back. They'd lose, but how many are gonna bother?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Doesn't have a point of view
Knows not where he's going to
Isn't he a bit like you and me?

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

SurfaceDetail posted:

Its airtight in the sense you'd have to go to court to get money back. They'd lose, but how many are gonna bother?

There's quite a few people going for refunds specifically because of the new TOS, it could be a self generated ELE. Which is fitting really.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

SurfaceDetail posted:

You can still chargeback. I mean, it's not like CIG has been telling people anything but "Chargebacks are fraud" and "We used your money already, no refunds you big meanie" regardless of TOS or customer laws or common sense for half a year.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

How does that helmet work when you adjust the FOV? Do you just get more black outline?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Sandweed posted:

How does that helmet work when you adjust the FOV? Do you just get more black outline?

You know what's good and safe in combat and EVA suits, not being able to see your surroundings.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Also, someone on the Elite Forums pointed out something

DEREK SMART TAKE NOTICE

The new TOS are now an agreement with RSI services, and not CIG. I think CIG was who you initially were buying ships from, but now your agreement is with a different company?

Inkel
Feb 19, 2004

College Slice
https://www.destructoid.com/everquest-fans-aren-t-too-thrilled-with-landmark-367408.phtml

Plenty of tears shed over Everquest Landmark. I can't imagine the outrage when CIG folds and/or releases a similar bait and switch product. At least the Everquest backers were only in like $500 at the most.

quote:

"Many of us bought this game because it was a promise of something greater to come," reads one Steam user review. "We funded this game because we wanted EQNext. They strung us along for 3 years with a carrot on a stick routine. Finally YEARS after promising this would be Free to play, they rerelease this mess for $9.99."

"This game had so much promise, but I am here to warn others not to buy it," says another. "Potential buyers need to know that it will be very difficult to find anywhere to build. (Out in the ocean, maybe?) For two years, they swore that anything purchased from the Marketplace would remains ours throughout numerous world wipes during [closed beta] - and then took everything away, replaced with worthless in-game currency that made replacing those items impossible."

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I REFUSE TO CREATE JOINDER WITH R S I

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
[WTS] My Buybacks All LTI

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Sandweed posted:

I believe your avatar grows an extra foot.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

TTerrible posted:

The biggest bug they patched in 2.4 was the ability for people to get their money back.

The system is now perfect.

I admire its purity.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Apr 19th

2.4 out, new TOS

MODS! Name change to Space Nostradamus please.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

That being thrown out of the ship clip... Holy poo poo.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Doesn't have a point of view
Knows not where he's going to
Isn't he a bit like you and me?

I too acquire hindsight mid sentence.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

MeLKoR posted:

Apr 19th

2.4 out, new TOS

MODS! Name change to Space Nostradamus please.

Edit: MeLKoR I think you got hired by CIG. The labeling thing and now this. Lol

EminusSleepus fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jun 11, 2016

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

EminusSleepus posted:

Edit: MeLKoR I think you got hired by CIG. The labeling thing and now this. Lol

I'm the enemy you never saw coming, they bought me off months ago.

The shilling is coming from inside the thread. :getin:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

I - for one - think that the new ToS is pretty solid. It really shouldn't affect most people. Nice discussions so far - pretty interesting.

Please, try again with a bit more effort. If you're that blatant and dishonest, everyone will just ignore you.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Wuxi posted:

You can still chargeback. I mean, it's not like CIG has been telling people anything but "Chargebacks are fraud" and "We used your money already, no refunds you big meanie" regardless of TOS or customer laws or common sense for half a year.

quote:

Any attempt to mislead the consumer about his rights is an offence under the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008

The Consumer Rights Act 2015 covers the use of unfair terms in consumer contracts. For more information please see 'Unfair contract terms'.

In addition, any attempt to mislead the consumer about his rights is an offence under the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008. (These Regulations cover traders' duties towards consumers in general - see 'Consumer protection from unfair trading'.)
http://www3.hants.gov.uk/tradingstandards/tradingstandards-business/ts-business-goods/tsguide-sale-supply-goods.htm

quote:

Hi rootdarkarchon,

Thank you very much for your reply.

I am very sorry you felt the need to perform a chargeback, however chargebacks should only ever be used for cases of genuine fraud, where you have had no recollection of making the payment yourself. Using a chargeback as a means to gain a refund is a misuse of the system, and damages both us, and your own ability to use the payment provider in the future. Unfortunately if you decide to do this, I will have to take a note of this down to provide the information to Paypal.

I apologise that we cannot offer you a refund, however as stated by my colleagues before you are outside of the 14 day grace period and are not eligible for one. If you require any further assistance please let us know, thanks.

Best Regards

Amy
Billing Support Representative
Cloud Imperium Games

quote:

If your business deals with consumers or sells over the internet, it will be affected by The New Consumer Rights laws which came into force on 1 October 2015.
These new laws increase consumers’ rights, most notably giving consumers the
right to a 30-day refund”. Make sure you update your B2C customer contracts to comply with the new Consumer Rights Act.

Ensure your business is fully compliant and avoid time consuming PR damaging complaints.

http://www.thelegalpartners.com/update-consumer-contracts-major-new-consumer-rights-laws-2015/

CIG are:
1 - NOT registered under the UK Data Protection Act which is an offence under section 61 of the Data Protection Act
2 - NOT in compliance with the Consumer Rights Act 2015 as evidenced by their new terms of service
3 - ARE misleading customers about their right to a chargeback which is an offence under the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008

Are they a business or a scam?

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

MeLKoR posted:

I'm the enemy you never saw coming, they bought me off months ago.

The shilling is coming from inside the thread. :getin:

I bet your designation is: director of strategic anti-gooninism!

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

AP posted:

I believe your avatar grows an extra foot.

Can you adjust the FOV?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

SomethingJones posted:

Are they a business or a scam?
Why not both?

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

quote:

Examples of using the new consumer laws:
Faulty digital content
Example 4
You download a free game (for example, a virtual world) and build up some virtual currency in the game through your normal game play. You then buy some additional virtual currency in order to make an in-app purchase (for example, an item for their world). The item is faulty and doesn’t appear in your virtual world.
Under the Act, as the game is free, the provider does not have to provide a remedy for any faults in the game. However, once you paid a price for some content then, if the you can show that that content is faulty (that is, does not meet the quality rights), the provider will be liable to provide a remedy. The provider is only liable for faults affecting the chargeable elements of the game.

quote:

Product quality

As with the Sale of Goods Act, under the Consumer Rights Act all products must be of satisfactory quality, fit for purpose and as described.

The rules also include digital content in this definition. So all products - whether physical or digital - must meet the following standards:

Satisfactory quality Goods shouldn't be faulty or damaged when you receive them. You should ask what a reasonable person would consider satisfactory for the goods in question? For example, bargain bucket products won’t be held to as high standards as luxury goods.
Fit for purpose The goods should be fit for the purpose they are supplied for, as well as any specific purpose you made known to the retailer before you agreed to buy the goods.
As described The goods supplied must match any description given to you at the time of purchase.

edit - sale of goods act and the new consumer rights act both apply to faulty digital goods, so if you find that Star Citizen is faulty then you are well within your rights to get a refund in the UK.

CIG can take their new TOS and stick it up their rear end, and anyone shilling for CIG at this point should be loving ashamed of themselves.

SomethingJones fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jun 11, 2016

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Danknificent posted:

The system is now perfect.

I admire its purity.

You still don't understand
what you're dealing with.

The perfect scam.
Its structural perfection...
is matched
only by its hostility for its backers.

I admire its purity.
A ripoff artist...
unclouded...
by conscience...
remorse...
or delusions of responsibility.

Last word, Goons.

I can't lie to you
about your chances for a refund, but...
you have my sympathies.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

:colbert: No.

Good customer service doesn't take months to respond to poo poo, nor do they apply labels, nor do they claim to be the best marketing person in the whole world every since they were a little girl.

:thurman:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Streetroller
Jun 11, 2016

alphabettitouretti posted:

Welcome to the thread friend.

Out of interest, what persuaded you to cough up $3k for a videogame? This is not a trick question, I would genuinely like to know.

Bear in mind, $3k was dropped over the course of 3/4 years, including subscriptions and buying various ships.
I was expecting a fulled supported VR interface, to be honest.

Before anyone tells me how much of an idiot I was or that I should have known, etc. I was always under the impression that SQ42 would release this year.
It was in their original tos, on their trailers, etc...

I've never logged into the game once, because I was not ever interested in testing the Alpha. It wouldn't have even been possible because I need to be able to key rebind to play games.
I have a disability that has progressively made it more difficult to game over the years, and I was excited about the idea of using Oculus to play (It was advertised as being accessible day 1)
I was extremely disappointed to hear that they essentially dropped it, but even that wasn't enough to put me off. I understand things take time.

I still would be backing if I hadn't read the tos changes on Reddit. Anyone with some basic law-crafting will know how absolutely shocking it is.

I've never paid much attention to Derek, he's too abrasive for me. My "descent" originally began when Chris wrote that awful letter to Escapist..
Finding out concierge was being labeled with inflammatory names, the blatant plagiarism...

Derek did none of those things. That was all CIG.

• Locked thread