Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Broseph Brostar posted:

So we're like a couple chapters from the end right? Isn't this the last volume still?

No?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

ImpAtom posted:

I'm not sure why people are assuming Armin is alive enough for the serum to work considering he looks really really dead.

Unless he's been a Titan shifter all along...!

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

muike posted:

Unless he's been a Titan shifter all along...!

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

still waiting on chekhov's wall titans

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

I feel like whenever a kill 'em all manga reaches a certain level of popularity, authors get gunshy about killing 'em all, I think we've reached that point and purely based on that I think they'll bring Armin back to life. I'm sure there's some kind of editorial wisdom that says that you can get popular with high deathcounts but once you're there killing any more characters will only hurt you from that point on. Which makes sense, you get hooked by the bloodshed, then stay for the characters, and killing someone's favorite character will only lose you readers.

I mean, these last chapters don't feel anything like the early chapters, characters are surviving the most ridiculous things that would have been certain death earlier in the manga and even Hange's death was a fakeout. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think a single named character has died at this point? Armin sure is dying but titan serum will take care of that. Erwin conveniently got clipped on the side and fell off his horse before he could get massacred with the rest of the nameless guys. Even the bad guys are all improbably alive after getting their asses thoroughly kicked. And it seems like the battle's pretty much over, the only death I can see at this point is whichever of the human titans they captured they decide to feed to Armin. I assume Bert for poetic justice, he will probably even be calmly accepting of it or volunteer though I'm sure that will not stop Armin from emoing out about it once he regains his senses for ten chapters.

I hope it's not true that this series has lost its teeth, because I really enjoyed the unpredictability, but it looks pretty dire at this point.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Note that Eren isn't freaking out trying to save Armin, his final line is about how Armin is 100% dead and more importantly we see his corpse which didn't happen with Eren back then.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Xy Hapu posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think a single named character has died at this point?

Armin is 100% dead. As to did any other named character die? I don't think that's a fair question to ask at this point, given that the battle has only now lulled and none of the characters have had time to take count of the dead.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

GimmickMan posted:

Note that Eren isn't freaking out trying to save Armin, his final line is about how Armin is 100% dead and more importantly we see his corpse which didn't happen with Eren back then.

True, but when in the history of shonen has the last we see of a main character be his skinless corpse? I mean, I honest to god hope it's true, it's hilarious that you can tell people reading it 'oh yeah he becomes a skinless corpse later on', but it's hard to imagine that's what they're gonna go with. Especially with a magic regenerating potion in play with no one else to use it on and two captured human titans to eat.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Broseph Brostar posted:

So we're like a couple chapters from the end right? Isn't this the last volume still?

This is still a hot IP that is racking in cash so probably not.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Attack on Titan Shippuden

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
This entire arc feels like a big "gently caress you" to the people saying named characters having plot armor in this series.

We've lost Erwin, the MP officer guy and now Armin. We only have one restore to titan potion.

Stakes are pretty real.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Was good, took long enough for stuff to happen.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Mordaedil posted:

This entire arc feels like a big "gently caress you" to the people saying named characters having plot armor in this series.

We've lost Erwin, the MP officer guy and now Armin. We only have one restore to titan potion.

Stakes are pretty real.

Hahahahahaha

Okay, that was probably unintentional and the dude actually has a name buried somewhere, but that's kinda hilarious

In any case, I don't think the series has lost its teeth - it never really had 'em to begin with. AoT was never the type of series that kills of main characters, it's just got an excessively murderous streak regarding side characters, to an almost comical degree. I think that's starting to backfire: the only ones allowed to suffer real and lethal injuries are redshirts or EXTREMELY regenerative main characters, with the occasional side dude. I think it was quite a mistake to make the titan shifters as regenerative as they are - it seems entirely up to the whims of the story of what actually works. (Of course, it always is, but seriously, MOVING BRAIN FUNCTIONS TO THE BRAIN STEM TO SURVIVE?)

Regarding the chapter itself:
I don't mind Hange survived, she's cool. However, I think it was handled very poorly and reinforces the impression that main characters have ridiculous plot armor. She and her squad was incinerated... Only not. She survived. Only she. Somehow. How? Did she hide under Reiner's shield? I really hope we get an explanation.
Reiner's situation was also beyond weird. He was set up to die, pretty much - his arc seems completed, Berthold is ready to take over. Buuuuuut he still gets up and gets owned again. Weird.
I do like how Berthold was handled, I hope he'll survive and won't be stuffed into plot storage like Annie. Dude is really shaping up, especially once (???) Reiner leaves the picture.
Maybe the author is savvy enough to recognize he's made too many characters appear untouchable, so he deliberately set up a situation in which AT LEAST one main character/antagonist has to die. My guess: Erwin just survives, Armin gets magical titan serum & eats Reiner, Berthold goes into plot storage but somehow remains relevant (hopefully). I'll be disappointed if that's the highest bodycount we get, though; but I feel like Erwin's and Armin's story just isn't finished, and while it would be ballsy to kill BOTH the "smart" main characters, I just don't think it's gonna happen. Oh well. I'm gonna continue reading tho, now I'm curious where this goes, also ~~**+++~~~**BASEMENT~~**+++~~~**

By the way - do we know for sure they can use the serum on one person only? I mean, Historia's dad just kinda licked a puddle, and that was already enough to turn him into the biggest titan yet. Just... just give Armin a bit, throw Reiner next to him, gently caress off. Repeat with others as necessary / as long as the shifter supply lasts. Maybe we'll get an explanation for that once Levi shares his secret with the class...

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I totally forgot his name and I didn't want to waste battery looking it up. I was kind of expecting him to be one of the survivors of the stone barrage though.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How do we know the serum works on the dead

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's kind of hard to survive half your head getting blown off when you're not the plot armored titan

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Broseph Brostar posted:

No there is about two more years to go.

quote:

As disappointing as monkey trouble surviving was, having seen the latest chapter, I'm glad that it happened, because monkey trouble is in a seriously awkward situation.

Only moments ago he thought he was about to win a conclusive battle against the Survey Corp (and against humanity within the walls as a whole) and recover Eren's power.

Now, he's lost Berthold and Reiner, Eren is outside of his grasp, and he has just been painfully taught that, if he makes a mistake, humans can and will kill him.

What does he do?

Retreat. They're out of transformations. Mule titan is not a combat titan. Eren probably has one more in the tank or at the very least is healthy enough to be in fighting shape quickly. He's lost Berthold and Reiner so he can't attack the city with his titans or wait them out either. If Levi survives (and lets be honest, he will) if he decides to double down and continue the siege, Levi can just use the serum on anyone and suddenly Magilla Gorilla has to deal with two armored titans. Its the other way around than his declarations. The Scouts are victorious but it's a massive pyrric victory.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jun 10, 2016

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

theres gonna be a bunch of titan serum in the basement or some way to revive armin

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Mordaedil posted:

I expect blue balls on the murder front.

well, yeah, obviously

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Xy Hapu posted:

I feel like whenever a kill 'em all manga reaches a certain level of popularity, authors get gunshy about killing 'em all,

This author reached that point forever ago when Sasha was supposed to die. That's about when he revealed that it was supposed to be a shortish series with a bleak ending but then he started cashing the checks.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

It's kind of hard to survive half your head getting blown off when you're not the plot armored titan

Yeah, I meant before he got his head blown off. When i saw that his head got clipped, I was like "well poo poo."

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Didn't Isayama say he was aiming for 100 chapters? There's quite a bit of AOT left, but it is not that much. We may even see the basement this year!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I would be really surprised if we don't at least start heading towards the basement in the next three chapters.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...
Except how are they going to find it now in the midst of all that rubble?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I'm pretty sure that the basement will answer some questions and open a lot of new ones

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
So who's going to add Armins death to this fantastic image and complete the arc?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah wow, that's a pretty bold move by the author to axe one of the main trio like that. I also genuinely did not expect either bert or ernie to survive, let alone both of them.

I'm a bit behind, but I just got caught up. So many death flags for armin leading up to this.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
It's like the author heard people complaining about nothing happening and nobody being in danger and went all gently caress YOU.

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
Honestly I'm blown away. I've been losing interest in this series since the coup arc began, and I considred Monkey Trouble's stupid 'gravel baseball that does more damage than rocket artillery' thing to be close to the last straw. But, these past two chapters have really rekindled my interest in the series. I can't remember the last time I've seen a genuinely intelligent strategy like that in an anime or manga. Or for that matter, a non-contrived heroic sacrifice.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Are you the guy who posted about the crushed rock artillery being bad and then got called an idiot

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm having a hard time pointing out why, but even with what's looking to be a real bloodbath of named characters I'm still not feeling terribly engaged with this battle.

About the best I could manage was "Oh Armin's probably dead, look at them death flags. Oh Hange's alive. Okay yeah that's a toasty corpse. Wonder if Sasha's okay."

I'm starting to get the feeling that Isayama does out-of-battle plot suspense better than he does suspense in fight pacing.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
What annoyed me was how they kept cutting between the two action setpieces, in an attempt to keep suspense until the end of the chapter. Yeah, it kept people guessing until the end, but it broke the flow of the action. Maybe they should have resolved Eren's scene first, then kept people guessing if it would have been all for naught if Reiner could break through (until Mikasa managed to incapacitate Reiner the second time). But then again, Eren vs the Colossal Titan Round 2 was a more dramatic ending of the chapter.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

This author reached that point forever ago when Sasha was supposed to die. That's about when he revealed that it was supposed to be a shortish series with a bleak ending but then he started cashing the checks.

No, when it got popular it boosted his self esteem and changed his outlook on life, then when he got to Sasha he realized he didn't want to write that type of story anymore or at least that type of ending.

The actual problems with this manga now are much simpler but the results of the author maturing but still learning the ropes. He realized Hange dying here would dampen the punch that Armin's self sacrifice would have last minute. This is kinda cropping up now, that he wants complete character arcs and deaths.

NutritiousSnack fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jun 15, 2016

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Monocled Falcon posted:

Honestly I'm blown away. I've been losing interest in this series since the coup arc began, and I considred Monkey Trouble's stupid 'gravel baseball that does more damage than rocket artillery' thing to be close to the last straw. But, these past two chapters have really rekindled my interest in the series. I can't remember the last time I've seen a genuinely intelligent strategy like that in an anime or manga.

If you like pretty good strategy in shounen manga, World Trigger has a bunch of very good, well thought-out team fights. Probably tied with HxH for having the most reasonable, interesting fight scenes.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ytlaya posted:

tied with HxH for having the most reasonable, interesting fight scenes.

The dodgeball fight was loving cool

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

I appreciate this.

bondster
May 6, 2007

Season 2 of the anime to premiere Spring 2017

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Ugh there's some real bullshit in the latest chapter.

How on earth is Armin still alive? He got roasted and fell like 100 feet. Let him die. #SaveErwin

I'm also a little salty that Reiner got away again. I didn't have any issues with him surviving up till now against all odds, but this is one time too many. I guess Iyasama really wants Reiner on the shifter's side so he can still pull the trigger on Chekhov's split personality and have Reiner betray Zeke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

In It For The Tank posted:

Ugh there's some real bullshit in the latest chapter.

How on earth is Armin still alive? He got roasted and fell like 100 feet. Let him die. #SaveErwin

FFS Isayama. It was a fan theory that the serum would be for Armin, but I has hoping that the author would show balls for once. Between the fall and the intense crisping, he seemed pretty well dead. And Reiner got away not once, but twice in this battle.