Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I've found that the Sirius armor has handled most of my jetpacking needs. It just doubles jump height which is a simple change that gets me basically everywhere I'd want to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
I kind of wish I could write bash patches for people easily without having to download their modlist -- I've actually gotten quite good at it by this point since I've had to learn to do it by hand.

FO4Edit is as robust as ever for squashing compatibility bugs, but I sure do wish modders would be more mindful about their leveled lists.

Kimsemus fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jun 10, 2016

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Beast Master is appearing to do what Automatron did with Robots with animals of the Commonwealth.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZidisDtYiXU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Can't wait for the terrifying sight of feral ghouls dressed as park mascots charging me while trying to grab all the Turkey Legs!

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Found out by accident that you can completely rearrange the perk icons on the poster depending on what stat and level you assign each. They just don't all line up as well as in their original spots.

Plotac 75
Aug 8, 2007
Mysteries of the ancient lizardman sealed by ancient, mysterious lizard magicks lost in the mysterious realm of ancient lizardmen from ages far, far ago.

Kimsemus posted:

I kind of wish I could write bash patches for people easily without having to download their modlist -- I've actually gotten quite good at it by this point since I've had to learn to do it by hand.

FO4Edit is as robust as ever for squashing compatibility bugs, but I sure do wish modders would be more mindful about their leveled lists.

Am I right in assuming that FO4Edit and Mod Organizer 2 are mutually exclusive in use, or do I just not know how to use them properly together?

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Plotac 75 posted:

Am I right in assuming that FO4Edit and Mod Organizer 2 are mutually exclusive in use, or do I just not know how to use them properly together?

Supposedly they can work together but NMN has much better intergration

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Plotac 75 posted:

Run FO4Edit through Mod Organizer, though aside from BSA management, NMM isn't too bad these days.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Plotac 75 posted:

I use FO4Edit with NMM, NMM really isn't that bad this go around. Finds my homebrew patches without much issue.

Greaseman
Aug 12, 2007
What mods might you guys recommend for a first playthrough?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Greaseman posted:

If it's your very first time playing FO4, then none. Go play the game for at least few hours, until you have good idea of what sort of stuff you'd want to add/change/remove.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

Greaseman posted:

I'm phone posting so I can't really look it up or link anything. Most of these are in the OP though.

Weapon balance overhaul. It stops the initial guns you get from being hopelessly outclassed before you can even get the perks to mod them and polishes everything else up pretty well imo.

Also the infinite ammo for companions and no power armor damage for companions mod. It's not fun having to deal with making sure your companion is always topped off and repaired.

Also the one that stops companions from following close and blocking doorways. It's called "move, get out the way" or something like that song. .

Also the weather mod from the OP is pretty good, I wouldnt pick the extended weather times option though.

Also the no level requirements for perks is nice so you can pick what you want.

Easy lock picking and hacking if you have played fallout 3 or NV since it's not fun after the 200th safe or terminal.

The no chance based speech checks mod. You either have the charisma or don't.

Armorsmith.

No lollygagging. Makes your settlers run instead of walk to the bell.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some of them but I'm not at my comp right now. If you can't find something or I'm not clear just ask and I'll try to link it tomorrow.

These will give you a pretty "normal" experience with a lot of annoyances smoothed out.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
How easy is it to extract models and textures from the game? Is there a tutorial anywhere I could follow?

I'd love to make that concept art Mr Handy chair for old lady meth head (or anyone else), but I don't know how I'd go about getting the models from the game first to modify them.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Raygereio posted:

If it's your very first time playing FO4, then none. Go play the game for at least few hours, until you have good idea of what sort of stuff you'd want to add/change/remove.

If you get into building settlements, Place Everywhere is practically required if you want to make cool stuff. :v:

Plotac 75
Aug 8, 2007
Mysteries of the ancient lizardman sealed by ancient, mysterious lizard magicks lost in the mysterious realm of ancient lizardmen from ages far, far ago.
Well my mind's sufficiently blown. Thanks to all.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
What's the mod that lets you clip walls through the ground? Is it Build Anywhere?

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So I need some help. When I go to start a new game I CTD. I don't think it's my mods because I disable all the plugins and nothing changes. I did end up downloading the Fallout4 configuration mod and turned off the intro video which seems to have added a delay before the CTD after trying to start a new game, if that helps.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

FlyinPingu posted:

If you get into building settlements, Place Everywhere is practically required if you want to make cool stuff. :v:

To this I'd add Infinite settlement budgets Snappable junk fences Don't call me settler for stuff that should be in the vanilla game. Don't call me settler has a bunch of options / tools you can ignore, I use it mostly for the auto renaming and deleting old corpses.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

So uh, who wants to be the brave goon to see if there is anything worth it on Bethnet mod wise now?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
So wait, there's no way to do a merged patch on consoles? If you download two weapon packs then whoops oh well? I guess there might be megapacks or something eventually.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Anita Dickinme posted:

So I need some help. When I go to start a new game I CTD. I don't think it's my mods because I disable all the plugins and nothing changes. I did end up downloading the Fallout4 configuration mod and turned off the intro video which seems to have added a delay before the CTD after trying to start a new game, if that helps.

You have a missing master. Delete plugins and dlclist.txt and reload NMM

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I generally don't spend much time reading mod comments but the few times I've done so were pre-BethNet and full of PC users nagging mod authors for things and mod authors losing their patience in turn. So naturally I get confused when this sort of thing gets treated like a new phenomenon. Isn't this how the modding community has always been?

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Nevets posted:

To this I'd add Infinite settlement budgets Snappable junk fences Don't call me settler for stuff that should be in the vanilla game. Don't call me settler has a bunch of options / tools you can ignore, I use it mostly for the auto renaming and deleting old corpses.

Yeah, Don't Call Me Settler is also really good. The ability to auto-assign settlers is a godsend.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

2house2fly posted:

So wait, there's no way to do a merged patch on consoles? If you download two weapon packs then whoops oh well? I guess there might be megapacks or something eventually.

Just refuse to use any weapon mod that doesn't use armor and weapon keywords expanded

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Does that rely on a script extender? If it does, that is unusable on consoles.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Schubalts posted:

Does that rely on a script extender? If it does, that is unusable on consoles.

I don't have any script extender installed, it's just a framework every author can use to make their weapon and armor mods play nice

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Babe Magnet posted:

lmao at 55,000 tris

these people surely must know the point is to get the tri count as low as possible, without sacrificing major detail, right

55k is what I would use to bake the normal maps, jesus

e: it's 140 loving mb lmao

for reference the ENTIRE SUIT of power armor I'm making is 11k

Babe Magnet posted:

Looking at the mod, the barrel sheath/heat guard itself is 22k, almost half the entire gun's budget, because each one of those vents is a double-beveled, 16-sided hole lmao. This is straight-up a high-poly model used for baking.

The most complex vanilla gun I can think of (gauss rifle with extra large mag, recoil stock, reflex sight, silencer, and barrel casing) clocks in at 11k. the super high poly load screen version of the gauss rifle is 24k.

In short don't download this mod if you don't have a powerful PC.

so I posted a comment on the mod with these findings to maybe hopefully prod the mod author into fixing their retardedly dense gun a little bit, wasn't even rude or anything, maybe the worst thing I said was "This gun has way too many tris." poo poo I even ended my little report with "It's a very pretty gun but it's way too much, budget-wise", which as you'll note is a compliment as well as a critique.

Checked back today to see if they responded:

lmao the nexus owns

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Babe Magnet posted:

so I posted a comment on the mod with these findings to maybe hopefully prod the mod author into fixing their retardedly dense gun a little bit, wasn't even rude or anything, maybe the worst thing I said was "This gun has way too many tris." poo poo I even ended my little report with "It's a very pretty gun but it's way too much, budget-wise", which as you'll note is a compliment as well as a critique.

Checked back today to see if they responded:

lmao the nexus owns

quote:

Ok, one more thing. Another person who starts a debate about amount of polys gets himself banned.
Poly budget in modern games is pretty huge, modern titles can have more then 50000 triangles for first person weapon mesh.
There are no unnecessary polys in my model, it's meant to be high quality.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

That was posted after my post, I'm pretty sure. I definitely didn't see it when I was combing through the comments looking for that exact thing. It wasn't a debate or anything either, just some advice from someone who's had problems of this exact nature in the past (poo poo's way too dense causing problems due to too many polys being on screen at once)

Also high poly doesn't mean high quality. He means high definition. Also, doesn't matter, still unnecessarily high lol. I wasn't going to download it anyway due to everything I've said so it's not like I'm upset or anything, just thought it was funny.

e: especially seeing as I've offered this exact same advice in times past during oblivion and skyrim and nothing raw ever came of it. The Nexus used to be a lot more chill.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 11, 2016

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Ah the old "I made it bad on purpose!" excuse, great.

:jerkbag:

edit: mentioning other games use 50k tri weapon models (they don't) doesn't help anyway, because he's working in Fallout 4. You should adapt your magnum opus to suit the game you're making it for, not try to bend the game engine to suit your model. But whatever, if an artist can't take a tiny bit of criticism he's a piece of poo poo artist so gently caress him anyway.

KiddieGrinder fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jun 11, 2016

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Bring back TESSource

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

KiddieGrinder posted:

Ah the old "I made it bad on purpose!" excuse, great.

:jerkbag:

His comments are all about being his own man and not slaving his mod to others and not caring if it consumes too many resources when combined with others. He's like the sovereign citizen of fallout modding.

"I won't put out a keyword patch because I won't slave my mod to something else"

He'd probably ban you for admitting you made a merged patch.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

That weapon is a huge performance wrecker and eventually will be forgotten when the better weapon modders finally start dropping stuff.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Nexus needs a remodel

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
In what game has there ever been a 50k poly gun mesh?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

That's what I'm thinking too. I'm doing some research right now because I have nothing to do.

Battlefield Hardline's HCAR is only 8800, and that's with all its ridges and buttresses and fancy bits. I have a bunch of black ops 3 models but I can't open .psk files in maya even though I just installed a plug-in for it but I know a ton of modern characters, who have to have animatable edge-loops and smooth geometry that are a lot lower than 55k. Geralt in his default get-up from 3 is only 30k believe.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

2house2fly posted:

Azhais posted:

Just refuse to use any weapon mod that doesn't use armor and weapon keywords expanded

Merged Patches make sure mods that add items to leveled lists don't overwrite each other, e.g. if two different mods make a new gun spawn on raiders, then without a patch the game will only use the list that's lower in the load order. The keywords mods only affect crafting lists, which almost never run into conflicts. They just keep things tidy and prevent running over some sort of crafting keyword limit in the game.

Unless the architecture is completely different though, I don't see why merged patches couldn't work on consoles actually. Mods are locally stored info and load order still matters, and all a patch is is a new leveled list that includes copies of all mods you include when making it.

Anyway, back to the first question, if you only care about being able to craft and use different guns yourself without worrying about whether they show up on merchants or baddies, you should be fine.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Hey you guys should fix this pothole on the road *drivers license gets taken away*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

That implies the modders have any real power.

This is more like I'm a plumber and I see your septic tank leaking out of your flower garden so you get offended and chase me off of your lawn.