Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

fishmech posted:

Do you have your location history enabled?

Yes but it is on a tablet that isnt connected most of the time.
I would connect it once a day for a hour or so, but that wasnt giving me anything now I just try it occasionally nothing ever comes up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

You could just, you know, turn it off in Google Settings.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

That's awesome and a great addition.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Welcome to the new Android

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Sir Unimaginative posted:

You could just, you know, turn it off in Google Settings.

it says opt in you so you could just not enable it in the first place

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

LastInLine posted:

I'm still getting them at the same rate I usually do, about three to five a week all location-based. I got my usual survey from Tuesday wings at Bedubs a day early, even.

I got two today, once location based and one asking me if I owned a Google Glass (:laugh:).

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

The Dark One posted:

I got two today, once location based and one asking me if I owned a Google Glass (:laugh:).

I get that Glass one frequently. It's the same one that asks if you're into gadgets, if I'm remembering correctly.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
I'm on holiday and have been booking hotels based on Google Maps searches. I've been getting a 30-60¢ from Opinion Rewards to write reviews for them. Clearly making a dent in the $150-250/nt costs.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Blue Train posted:

it says opt in you so you could just not enable it in the first place

The article specifically says

quote:

It's called Nearby and users can opt in by turning on their Bluetooth and location.

Unless there's another step that's required to opt-in, it sounds kind of like an automatic change for me as I have both of these turned on normally. Hopefully there will be a way to opt-out if that's the case.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
What happened to Facebook Messenger? All of a sudden it causes a popup whenever I get a new message, which is annoying the crap out of me when I'm trying to read or watch stuff on my phone. Seems like it just started today.

I still want to see the messages in the notifications bar so I can't mute my conversations, I just want this popup to stop happening. I tried turning off "Notification Previews" but I still get popups with that off, they just don't show the text from the chat. I don't have Chat Heads on either.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Mine has always done that.

Edit: should be able to turn that off in the Android options. Disallow peaking.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jun 10, 2016

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I've been using Google Opinion Rewards for a year so my Play credits begin to expire today. I have Swype and Weather Timeline now. Any recommended paid apps I can buy that aren't already in the OP? No launchers, please.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

If you've got loads to spend you can buy yourself play music gift vouchers I think?

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Metal for Facebook users, are you able to access your messages anymore through the application or does it just give you a prompt to install the official Facebook Messenger client?

Trying to not use the actual Facebook or Messenger apps so hopefully someone has a workaround or alternative app!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Skarsnik posted:

If you've got loads to spend you can buy yourself play music gift vouchers I think?

Not necessarily vouchers, but I can buy music directly with the Play credits. Neat! I have about $12 to burn so I might be able to get an album.

Is music on Google Play able to be downloaded to my computer or whatever or am I stuck to using my Android device(s) or the web app?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Mak0rz posted:

Not necessarily vouchers, but I can buy music directly with the Play credits. Neat! I have about $12 to burn so I might be able to get an album.

Is music on Google Play able to be downloaded to my computer or whatever or am I stuck to using my Android device(s) or the web app?

Fairly sure you can, but not something I've ever done so don't quote me on it

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Flamingo is a new Twitter client by the Weather Timeline guy, probably worth grabbing. Now supports keeping your place in timeline for someone who was asking about that the other day.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

Metal for Facebook users, are you able to access your messages anymore through the application or does it just give you a prompt to install the official Facebook Messenger client?

Trying to not use the actual Facebook or Messenger apps so hopefully someone has a workaround or alternative app!
It's been removed from the mobile site completely, so it won't work with apps that use that implementation.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Mak0rz posted:

If you've bought the music, you can download it up to twice, I think (or an unlimited number of times if you grab your whole library, or something, I'm not clear on the details).

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Zom Aur posted:

It's been removed from the mobile site completely, so it won't work with apps that use that implementation.

Any good alternatives then? Could only find disa.im and Trillian, not sure if there's anything else. Would really like to avoid using the official Facebook poo poo if possible.

cosmo321
Jan 6, 2011

I changed to Metal and it works excellent. No messenger nagging. Just don't enable legacy mode.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Play Store credit is supposed to use the expiration date of the most recent "promotional credit", so unless you haven't done a survey in a year, stuff shouldn't be expiring.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Red Warrior posted:

Flamingo is a new Twitter client by the Weather Timeline guy, probably worth grabbing. Now supports keeping your place in timeline for someone who was asking about that the other day.

That was me, and thank you. I have no idea why that wasn't the default behaviour. Am I weird in not wanting to miss any tweets?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

cosmo321 posted:

I changed to Metal and it works excellent. No messenger nagging. Just don't enable legacy mode.

The no mobile messenger thing hasn't rolled out everywhere yet, you'll get it eventually

The messenger app is actually pretty good

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Any good alternatives then? Could only find disa.im and Trillian, not sure if there's anything else. Would really like to avoid using the official Facebook poo poo if possible.

The alternative is to use the facebook messenger app. Honeymoon is over.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Does Metal do something different to avoid the problems that similar apps had with not showing all your friends or something?

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Metal was simply a wrapper for the mobile web interface, cleaning it up and making it a little prettier and more functional. It was a good alternative to the full blown Facebook app if had issues with slowdown or battery drain problems associated with the official product.

The messenger interface was also just the mobile web client, which apparently is disabled now for some portion of users, forcing them to install the Messenger app I guess. My phone is a kind of old piece of poo poo with a bad battery so I think I'm just going to use Facebook chat from a computer.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
The Facebook Messenger app is cool and good at doing things like a) hanging out with your buds, b) sending gifs, c) apping, and d) doing literally nothing else bad

give it a shoot, and tell them Old Hank sent ya!

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Yeah Facebook Messenger is great. I wish Hangouts would implement chat heads on Android like they did for the Chrome extension. That's one of the best things about FBM.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Play Store credit is supposed to use the expiration date of the most recent "promotional credit", so unless you haven't done a survey in a year, stuff shouldn't be expiring.

Good to know, thanks!

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Swipe for Facebook has a dumb name but is a much better wrapper app than Metal. So much better, in fact, that the Metal guy stole a bunch of code from Swipe.

It also has a fix to get around the forced Messenger thing.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Oh that's clever, you can set it to use messenger.com

I don't have any use for it, as the mobile fb site plus messenger works for me, but if anyone insists on a wrapper it seems like a good shout

(Bear in mind I used it for all of 10 seconds)

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Whizbang posted:

So much better, in fact, that the Metal guy stole a bunch of code from Swipe.

Do you have more information on this? That's a serious allegation.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Yeah Facebook Messenger is great. I wish Hangouts would implement chat heads on Android like they did for the Chrome extension. That's one of the best things about FBM.

I don't see the appeal of chart heads at all, they just get in the way and provide absolutely no advantage over a proper Android notification. Worse the FB Messenger app randomly decides to turn them back on for me after it updates.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

dissss posted:

I don't see the appeal of chart heads at all, they just get in the way and provide absolutely no advantage over a proper Android notification. Worse the FB Messenger app randomly decides to turn them back on for me after it updates.

Well, now that Hangouts lets you reply from the notification, it's a little different, except that if you have messages from more than one person, then you can't reply from the notification anymore. I get so many messages in hangouts that it just becomes a pain switching back and forth between apps when the chat head is so much faster.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I guess it doesn't seem any faster or more fluid to me than just entering the app via the notification shade then going back to whatever you were doing with the app switcher.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
The messenger app murders my LG G4s battery and I don't know why. Its weird.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I've been using Swipe for Facebook for a while. Is Metal way better, or does it just have Twitter support too?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

The messenger app murders my LG G4s battery and I don't know why. Its weird.

Turn if the GPS in the app. Cuts down significantly on the battery drain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
How do you do that?