Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Gorilla loving sucked at actually being an announcer, but it is really refreshing watching guys who actually had human interactions with each other instead of just reading hashtags for 3 hours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The best Tony/Heenan interaction was Tony saying Hacksaw went to college and Brain laughing for the entire rest of the match and post match recap

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Say Nothing posted:

Ventura's heel commentator personality was good. Were there any great heel commentators before him, or was he kind of the prototype?

There were a few but very little footage remains so no one really knows. The man later known as The Grand Wizard was one of the earliest heel announcers before he became the Sheik's manager.

However Jesse Ventura and Gorilla Monsoon were up north losers and thus sucked.

Bobby Heenan was fine since he eventually joined the one true promotion.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So uh I just watched the match where Terry Funk gets kicked by a horse

Good lord I don't think I've laughed harder in my life, what are some other completely batshit ill-advised WCW matches?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Good lord I don't think I've laughed harder in my life, what are some other completely batshit ill-advised WCW matches?

The WCW Hardcore Junkyard Invitational match is peak ill-advised WCW match.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Monsoon was great because he really looked and sounded the part of a for real professional sportscaster. An old ex-athlete with a certain kind of voice and pretending to be very objective and so on. That's what's mostly missing nowadays, Cole is kinda like some of the younger guys but the only veteran is JBL who explicitly gives no fucks about professionalism.

I always preferred Heenan's brand of heel commentary to Ventura's, because he's so blatantly the slimy weasel and he played that part so well. I think Bob Hope was an influence.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

The name is escaping me, but the Chamber of horror from the early 90s was bad, especially since the switch for the electric chair was so fake and kept falling over.

The King of the Road match from Uncensored 95 was bad and featured 2 men gigging so they could get fired. In a chicken cage on the back of a truck.

The Doomsday Cage from Uncensored 96 is a spectacle to behold

The entirety of the World War 3 match features 60 people in 3 rings and the cameras consistently missed everything going on.

Wargames '98 isn't actually a traditional Wargames match and the rules make no sense.

Wargames 2000: Russo's Revenge should explain it all

But the king of ill advised is the aforementioned Junkyard Invitational. Just picture a dozen men in a dimly lit junkyard trying to have a safe deathmatch. The winner suffered nerve damage due to a car window spot. And no one could see any of this because it was in a dimly lit junkyard.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Monsoon was great because he really looked and sounded the part of a for real professional sportscaster. An old ex-athlete with a certain kind of voice and pretending to be very objective and so on. That's what's mostly missing nowadays, Cole is kinda like some of the younger guys but the only veteran is JBL who explicitly gives no fucks about professionalism.

I always preferred Heenan's brand of heel commentary to Ventura's, because he's so blatantly the slimy weasel and he played that part so well. I think Bob Hope was an influence.

Sounded? Come on. His entire charm was that he was kind of a clueless buffoon who didn't really know what was going on.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MassRafTer posted:

Sounded? Come on. His entire charm was that he was kind of a clueless buffoon who didn't really know what was going on.

Long/Backlund commentary team requested

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The Junkyard Invitational battle royal was definitely WCW's dumbest gimmick match; it injured more people more severely than WWF's Brawl for All.

One notable match that hasn't been mentioned was the "Spin the Wheel, Make a Deal" match between Sting and Roberts at Halloween Havoc 92. They didn't rig the wheel, which is how we got a Coal Miner's Glove match long after people stopped caring about that.

And of course, the Starrcade 86 Scaffold Match. Scaffold matches are retarded.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
The scaffold match was dumb but IIRC it got tons of heat, something like the junkyard invitational was dumb and bad and nobody cared.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
There have been a few decent Scaffold matches, I don't think there has ever been a good match in a junkyard, unless DDT did one that I'm forgetting about.

Ktik
Jul 10, 2004

Didn't Sting and Vampiro have a graveyard match that was in all black featuring two wrestlers dressed in all black?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Ktik posted:

Didn't Sting and Vampiro have a graveyard match that was in all black featuring two wrestlers dressed in all black?

no

it was more of a stroll through a well-lit graveyard with occasionall whacking each other with a shovel

it wasn't really all that stupid or anything

the major problem was that they shot it in black and white with 2 men mostly dressed in black and wearing black & white facepaint

but that has nothing to actually do with the match itself

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Ktik posted:

It was actually Vampiro and The Kiss Demon. Also there was a spot where they wrestled in a lake and the finish where the match ended when someone got buried in a large hole.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

RZApublican posted:

It was actually Vampiro and The Kiss Demon. Also there was a spot where they wrestled in a lake and the finish where the match ended when someone got buried in a large hole.
you're thinking of a different but equally hilarious graveyard match and that wasnt the end of the match, to win you had to escape the graveyard and make it back to the arena. An hour later into the show Vampiro wanders into the arena where bash at the beach is being held and is announced the winner.

IIRC the Sting/Vampiro one happened in the build their human torch match at Great American Bash after their tag team THE BROTHERS IN PAINT broke up

oatgan fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jun 12, 2016

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

El Estrago Bonito posted:

There have been a few decent Scaffold matches, I don't think there has ever been a good match in a junkyard, unless DDT did one that I'm forgetting about.

Nah, DDT only does Campsite matches where people shoot rockets at each other, throw each other off bridges, get their head stuffed into a camp toilet or an open fire, or run over with the campsite's delivery truck.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

El Estrago Bonito posted:

There have been a few decent Scaffold matches,
I can't think of any. Maybe ones where they wrestled in a ring and had to grab something off of a scaffold, but not old-school scaffold matches. All the artistry of a shark cage match with many times the injury risk.

quote:

I don't think there has ever been a good match in a junkyard,
Oh, be fair. TNA has had some good matches over the years.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Halloween Jack posted:

I can't think of any. Maybe ones where they wrestled in a ring and had to grab something off of a scaffold, but not old-school scaffold matches. All the artistry of a shark cage match with many times the injury risk.

Oh, be fair. TNA has had some good matches over the years.

There was the tables scaffold match with Tommy Dreamer that had both the benefit of a) looking awesome as 4 tables blow up and b) be the safest scaffold match

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

TOMMY DREAMER VS PRIME TIME BRIAN LEE, IT'S HIGH INCIDENT

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

exploding mummy posted:

There was the tables scaffold match with Tommy Dreamer that had both the benefit of a) looking awesome as 4 tables blow up and b) be the safest scaffold match

And then there's New Jack/Vic Grimes, which was doing its damnedest to be the opposite, even before Jack tried to kill him.

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo

exploding mummy posted:

that match was pure dog poo poo

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Monkeycheese posted:

Depending on how you look at it. It wasn't a workrate special, (like all scaffold matches), but the ending was cool to see Brian Lee go through all those tables. So that was fun.

The initial point does stand though, that scaffold matches are dangerous, poo poo, and usually boring towatch.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

DeathChicken posted:

TOMMY DREAMER VS PRIME TIME BRIAN LEE, IT'S HIGH INCIDENT

I see that's permanently burned in your brain, too

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo
this is the only good thing to come from a scaffold match https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acg7A3xqEYU

Needs More Ditka
Dec 3, 2005

We are ruthless and ask no quarter from you. When our turn comes we shall not disguise our terrorism.
I see Jim Cornette and shoots in the same sentence so often I'm starting to think he should be investigated by the ATF.

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo

Needs More Ditka posted:

I see Jim Cornette and shoots in the same sentence so often I'm starting to think he should be investigated by the ATF.

He's trying to get that NRA push

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I loving hated Cornette the entire time I watched wrestling from the 80's until ~2000 or so, but I'll be damned if he isn't my favorite wrestling personality now. I could listen to him tell war stories all day.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

RonPaulItsHappening.gif

https://twitter.com/WWE_Network_Bot/status/745321014834397184

Please give me the dates of some bad nitros if you remember.

your friend sk
Dec 10, 2005

(ヤイケス!)

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

RonPaulItsHappening.gif

https://twitter.com/WWE_Network_Bot/status/745321014834397184

Please give me the dates of some bad nitros if you remember.

1995 - 2001

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Last night we watched Slamboree 99 and I am excited to announce we are in the middle of one of the worst storylines ever and quickly approaching Macho Man and Kevin Nash try to pour poop on one another!

When we last saw Eric Bischoff he had lost the presidency to Ric Flair and was forced to do humiliating tasks for Flair. On Slamboree he returned to overturn the Piper/Flair decision and restart the main event. That's right, we are seeing the mostly forgotten Eric Bischoff redemption story and face turn. It's really loving bad.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

MassRafTer posted:

Last night we watched Slamboree 99 and I am excited to announce we are in the middle of one of the worst storylines ever and quickly approaching Macho Man and Kevin Nash try to pour poop on one another!

The Macho/Nash feud where they poured poop on each other was one of the only Nitros from that era that I had on VHS. I watched that episode too many times, because wrestling was hot at the time and I'd watch anything.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

You really failed me, google

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Unfortunately the match where Terry Funk got kicked by a horse is on Thunder and not a late Nitro

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/WCWWorldwide/status/747558060537716737

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

2001 was a weird year.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

there was no march 27th 2001 for wcw, the final episode was on the 26th

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Monkeycheese posted:

Disagree. I thought it was a pretty fun brawl that lead to a satisfying conclusion. Plus going through all those tables had to have sucked.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

According to the calendar they were expecting to come back from the hiatus on March 28th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Dreamer/Brian Lee is the only good scaffold match I've ever seen, mostly because they barely use the scaffold. A good 70% of the match is brawling around the arena before they even climb the scaffold, and then it's just a few minutes of punches and stomps until Lee falls through the tables (which is still an awesome spot 20 years later).

Two thumbs up. Too bad about every other scaffold match in history.