Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

THF13 posted:

It's not a irrelevant number, but the Machine no longer has a team to handle relevant threats. Samaritan has been dealing with the relevant numbers but didn't in this case for reasons we don't know.

"Enlist secondary assets"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Law & Order got told by NBC they were going to get a 21st season to beat the Gunshow record, wrote the finale for the 20th, filmed it, then NBC went "lol just kidding" but luckily the finale for the 20th year was actually a good series wrap up anyway so it wasn't thaaaaat bad.

But yeah POI has been hosed over super bad.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The probability of death for any asset is 1 in 2. No wonder she sent in secondary assets. That is some really nice detail work.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm just wondering if by the end of the series we'll learn John's real name.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

muscles like this? posted:

We won't. But if the show ever gets revived it will be a new team and there might be a cameo by another mysterious agent named...Iroquois Reese :v:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

In a shocking twist, his name is actually Chuck Finley, thus setting up the wacky misunderstanding for the Burn Notice / POI revival crossover whenever Bruce Campbell needs some extra cash.

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado

muscles like this? posted:

his name is robert paulsen

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
His real name is Chick Tingle

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Just caught up with this season

Rip root/Elias :smith:

Finch's monologue about following his rules was probably the best acting I've ever seen on this show

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wrong. Fusco making out with Root is the best acting in the show.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Fusco's crazy eyes. For a second there, I believed Kevin Chapman was murdering a stunt double.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Finch as the Scottish uncle was the best acting in the show.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Reese's emmy moment behind a truck

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

sbaldrick posted:

His real name is Chuck Tingle

The finale ends with Reese finally KNOWING his body.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Accretionist posted:

Fusco's crazy eyes. For a second there, I believed Kevin Chapman was murdering a stunt double.

His telephone acting was fantastic in that scene when he thought his son got shot, followed by Shaw telling him things are fine but she couldn't help them both, god drat

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

Zaggitz posted:

Reese will get pounded in the butt by Alistair Wesley, thus tying up the last remaining loose end in more ways than one.

Edit: Samaritan's fatal misstep in the last episode is its newest choice of target: Leon Tao.

Jigsaw fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jun 12, 2016

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Jigsaw posted:

Edit: Samaritan's fatal misstep in the last episode is its newest choice of target: Leon Tao.

7,000 simulations later, Samaritan is addicted to World of Warcraft and Leon is in charge of Decima.

Anomalous Blowout
Feb 13, 2006

rock
ice
storm
abyss

It makes no attempt to sound human. It is atoms and stars.

Zaggitz posted:

You are being watched.

The government has a secret system, a machine that spies on you every hour of every day. I know because I built it. This is a way of men.

I designed the machine to detect acts of terror but it sees everything. Violent crimes involving ordinary people, people like Ted Cobbler.

Crimes the government considered "irrelevant." They wouldn't act, so I decided I would.

But I needed a partner, someone with the skills to intervene. Hunted by the authorities, we work in secret. You'll never find us, but victim or perpetrator, if your number's up... we'll find you. For that is the way of the true buckaroo.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I'm brand new to this series (episode 4) and am loving this so much. John is one of the most bad rear end characters on tv!

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Anomalous Blowout posted:

You are being watched.

The government has a secret system, a machine that spies on you every hour of every day. I know because I built it. This is a way of men.

I designed the machine to detect acts of terror but it sees everything. Violent crimes involving ordinary people, people like Ted Cobbler.

Crimes the government considered "irrelevant." They wouldn't act, so I decided I would.

But I needed a partner, someone with the skills to intervene. Hunted by the authorities, we work in secret. You'll never find us, but victim or perpetrator, if your number's up... we'll find you. For that is the way of the true buckaroo.

I hate this derail so much.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I'm brand new to this series (episode 4) and am loving this so much. John is one of the most bad rear end characters on tv!

Just FYI this show continues to be awesome and you should probably get out of the thread for your own good until you've caught up!

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Do you think we'll get MachineRoot narrating any of the opening credits / monologue, now she has a voice?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

HookShot posted:

Just FYI this show continues to be awesome and you should probably get out of the thread for your own good until you've caught up!

Actually what said poster should do is not read the thread, but still come in here to post their reactions to episodes.

<-- Avatar doesn't lie. :v:

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Please post reaction as you go along we love liveblogging here.

You'll wanna avoid the thread for he next two Tuesdays though.

DivisionPost posted:

I hate this derail so much.

Spoken like a true devilman.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

spookygonk posted:

Do you think we'll get MachineRoot narrating any of the opening credits / monologue, now she has a voice?

Finch dies and the show ends with some sort of montage while the Machine delivers the opening narration.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Finch is kind of scaring me now.

The thought of what he could do with an unshackled ASI and his new give no fucks attitude is pretty drat chilling.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Wait for episode 7. I wasn't really into it until then, but that's the episode that won me -- and most new viewers -- over for good. I can't wait for your reaction to that one!

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Oh goodie, we got ourselves some fresh meat!

Like the others said: please post regular updates as you go :allears:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
So, I just spent the past week-and-a-half watching the entirety of this this amazing show. I avoided this thread until now to avoid spoilers, but now that I'm caught up-- Thoughts!
  • BEAR :3:.
  • This show is a masterclass in writing redemption arcs for crazy characters without taking away their crazy.
  • Root is (was :smith:) the best, and the one joke I never got tired of was her constantly just appearing in increasingly outlandish costumes.
  • "Relevance" is the greatest character introduction I have ever seen. Holy gently caress. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwudqTCkBis
  • For that matter, "The Crossing" and "The Devil's Share" should be taught in writing classes as examples of how to do a main character death right. It kinda sucks that they had to kill off the black lady, but they at least had the grace to send her out at the top of her game and make good and drat sure that everyone knew her life mattered, to both the other characters and the world of the show at large. Carter goes down in NYPD history as The Woman Who Killed HR, and that's pretty boss.
  • I had no idea going into this show that the only romance that mattered would be the sapphic love between a frothing-at-the-mouth singularity-worshipper and a literal clinical sociopath/professional murderer. I Was Pleased By This Development.
  • Never thought an omniscient supercomputer would make me teary-eyed.
  • The villains on this show are loving great, starting with Elias and just continuing. I love that we got a peek behind the curtain with basically all of them, showing us how each one became what they are today. Even Greer, who seems the most cartoonish of them all, got his day in the flashback sun.
  • I think Peter Collier was my favorite seasonal villain. Leslie Odom Jr. just sold the hell out of him. That righteous rage, the zeal of a true believer, mixed with the cold, analytical nature and merciless focus of a prosecutor.
  • Sucks that we couldn't get Zoe or Control back for just one more episode this season, but damnit, I am still holding out hope for one final appearance from My Hero Leon! :911:

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Good poo poo, dude. You are being watched.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
You made me rewatch Relevance and Finch's speech to Shaw in the abandoned office suite was easily as good as the 'I wasn't talking to you' one.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

:siren:TONIGHT'S EPISODE:siren:: .exe

Synopsis:As Reese and Shaw race to catch up with Finch, he infiltrates a maximum-security government facility in a desperate mission which could mean the end for not only Samaritan, but for himself and The Machine as well.

Preview

Feel free to come livewatch with us in the TVIV IRC Channel!

As with every year, my fellow Canadians getting the Maritime airing early please refrain posting spoilers until the east coast airing at 10pm EST concludes.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Real person of Interest just got a little closer.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-36517340

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

oohhboy posted:

Real person of Interest just got a little closer.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-36517340

...I don't get it, he created a robot that might randomly do something that can inflict pain, and it's some huge shocking surprise that the thing is indeed capable of inflicting pain?

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Harold's first 40 iterations of the machine:

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

raditts posted:

...I don't get it, he created a robot that might randomly do something that can inflict pain, and it's some huge shocking surprise that the thing is indeed capable of inflicting pain?

Can it "decide" to inflict pain, or is it just a random number generator that moves an arm with a needle on the end of it when the number is higher/lower than some threshold? The way the article's written it's unclear, but I'm guessing it's the latter.

It also makes it sound like it's not completely trivial to make a system whose behavior from moment to moment is unpredictable, which is just stupid.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

It's the second to last episode and they're doing "It's a Wonderful Artificial Life?"

e: oh good, it was just that one little bit.

raditts fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jun 15, 2016

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
Jesus, remember all those times the Machine had Finch pose undercover as a kingpin, and was all tough and dark? He wasn't acting. He dropped the act.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

JossiRossi posted:

Jesus, remember all those times the Machine had Finch pose undercover as a kingpin, and was all tough and dark? He wasn't acting. He dropped the act.

Elias knew it, man. He saw it from the very beginning. He and Finch, they were just two sides of the same coin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

raditts posted:

It's the second to last episode and they're doing "It's a Wonderful Artificial Life?"

e: oh good, it was just that one little bit.

Maybe not

• Locked thread