Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Ponzi posted:

More likely you get a JPEG of a piece of the lifeboat

You get a luxurious JPEG of the concept of a Drake lifeboat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

Coolguye posted:

Hello thread

I happened to log in to Kickstarter today to harass the maker of a DIFFERENT Kickstarter that has apparently fallen off the face of the earth to never deliver anything (Polyhedral Artisan Dice), and, to my surprise, I apparently did this:

I have absolutely no memory of this whatsoever. However, after a few moments of 'what the gently caress was I thinking', I realized that, since I have no memory of this and know for a god drat fact I have had no real interaction with the project since it concluded, I'm in a rather weird situation. All of these weird ToS changes would not apply to me, as I've never used their lovely website to accept them.

I have no idea what the ramifications of that would be. For my part I'm generally content to continue to ignore this though a refund would be pretty ballin' of course. I'm not in a spot where 60 bucks is the difference between making rent and not, though, so if this situation can be leveraged to cause more than 60 bucks worth of havoc, please detail how so I can cause said havoc.

Thanks and dog bless

What country are you in?

I'd think the best option is to try for a refund and, if refused, start raising the issue with authorities. Or, you can try and demand financials. If you are bound to the origins TOS, then you're due financials as the project hasn't delivered.

The problem there is that you'll definitely need a lawyer. I don't know if 60 is worth that.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Ponzi posted:

Interesting development over on the SC forum at FD - apparently there are two versions of the new ToS: One for the US and another for the EU

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=259596&p=4072735&viewfull=1#post4072735

Frontier continue to excise the diseased parts. One less SC militant shill account...

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/member.php?u=32973

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

Streetroller posted:

I just wanted the product that sold me to begin with. In fact, I'd argue for stripping away all the personalization of SC. IE - get rid of the videos and posts, etc....
What are you left with? Ship sales and slow development.

It took me awhile to realize that the Youtube videos and presentations they put out are pretty akin to Amway meetings or something.
No, it's not an MLM scheme, but it certainly shares a lot of the mentality and tactics of one.
When I think about it like that, it's funny I was even "had" at all considering my guard for such things.

Compare Star Citizen to a Crysis mod, they both would have initial energy, a bunch of early enthusiasm and ideas, and then a slow dissolution as the team dissolves when faced with a hopeless task.

Don't feel bad about being initially duped, many, myself included, were. Do feel bad by letting CIG's strategy of making Derek Smart the enemy lead you away from discovering the problems flaws. CIG intentionally has focused energy on Derek Smart to distract backers. You should feel bad that you fell for that.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Sperglord posted:

Compare Star Citizen to a Crysis mod, they both would have initial energy, a bunch of early enthusiasm and ideas, and then a slow dissolution as the team dissolves when faced with a hopeless task.

Don't feel bad about being initially duped, many, myself included, were. Do feel bad by letting CIG's strategy of making Derek Smart the enemy lead you away from discovering the problems flaws. CIG intentionally has focused energy on Derek Smart to distract backers. You should feel bad that you fell for that.

This is a great post

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Mr Fronts posted:

Frontier continue to excise the diseased parts. One less SC militant shill account...

Turns out, when they say “don't attack other posters, and definitely do not attack the volunteer mods”, it's a bad idea to attack a volunteer mod who's posting in the thread. How quaint.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

can someone make this the new thread title? tia

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

peter gabriel posted:

I tend to do this now and then, it's like things build up and I vomit words on the screen sometimes to get it all out.
The worse the game gets the better I like it usually but sometimes I stop and think about what an absolute shitshow this is and yes, I do get a bit fed up.

QFT

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I want to get started, the minimum amount of money that i have to spend to get in is 45$ right?

please pos my neg rear end

hardycore
Nov 4, 2009

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Is there a source for this abomination unto God?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Dead Space 4 looking good pretty bad, so far.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

illectro posted:

If you're investigating 'paid shills' I hope you'll take my experience into account.

I get offered money to cover games all the time, thousands of dollars to make videos about games which can be anything from crap F2P-P2W mobile games to AAA blockbusters. I'm the top of the list when it comes to space games.

I never accept any of these offers, although I will accept a key, like the steam code for LoD you gave me.

CIG have never offered me anything other than a press account stocked with free ships and I had to ask James Pugh for that. I'm sure this is because there's a whole army of fans who are so 'invested' that they're happy to do it for free.

So I don't see 'paid shills' in the traditional sense, CIG aren't paying anyone to support the game, at best some are getting free ships for their devotion.

I can't speak for the rest of their operation but they're a lot less aggressive in their paid social media influencer drive compared to many other games.

:eyepop:

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe

Tippis posted:

Turns out, when they say “don't attack other posters, and definitely do not attack the volunteer mods”, it's a bad idea to attack a volunteer mod who's posting in the thread. How quaint.

Well he did say in an earlier post 'ban me if you don't like what I have to say', after which the mod in question replied saying 'no I'm not going to ban you, but you can PM the chief mod or the community manager if you choose'

Now he's banned. I don't know why, but at least he'll be able to run off to reddit and say ' Whaaaaaaaa! those nasty mods over on the FD forum banned me for proclaiming the True Word of Chris(t)'

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

hardycore posted:

Is there a source for this abomination unto God?

no video unfortunately

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4njulp/official_240_live_feedback_thread/d44sle9

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

For what is about to transpire while I'm asleep, I just want to reiterate:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

That's the most stimpirical thing I've ever seen!

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Fronts posted:

Taren Reichhardt posted:

In any half-way decent forum bashing the game from another company is not seen as an acceptable behavior.
Is this even true? I don't think I've ever spent any time on a game company's forum*.

*I did do a bit of reading on the Alpha Protocol forum once, looking for hints on stuff I hadn't found yet. I left when I saw someone was utterly grossed out that it was possible to have sex with SIE who was in her forties (EW!!!!!!), and annoyed you couldn't have sex with Sis who appeared to be a teenager.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

well here is a dumb bad thing I just poo poo out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRQppqV2LwQ

work in progress

That second soliloquy from DS = :five: X :kayak: :kayak: :kayak: :kayak: :kayak:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

well here is a dumb bad thing I just poo poo out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRQppqV2LwQ

work in progress

Totally missed this.
:worship:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

The Butcher posted:

It's not star wars. :colbert:

But that may be an itch scratcher... Thanks for the recommendo.

As I understand it, it is a goon project too.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

peter gabriel posted:

Yes, in a massive way as well.
I used to get loads of poo poo, loads of downvotes but now it really has changed. It takes a while to get any downvotes of note at all now, and they usually come in a big blob (that's when I know derek has linked it ha ha) when they do come, if at all.
It's been really interesting watching this happen, but the change is very real

In my experience, I can just click the upvote with no worries. Bur I always try to say something nice, as he actually had to experience this crap, then edit it (triggering his PTSD from the prior experience), then add one of his spooky good soundtracks.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Coolguye posted:

1 and 2 are equally likely

3 somewhat less so

4 Saw a pic of Sandi, and his mind was clouded by her completely irresistible sex appeal.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

I wonder what that guy's response is when the gullible person he just duped into wasting their money asks where the gently caress the game he just paid for is supposed to be.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

SomethingJones posted:

If they were fans they could have done a cool podcast with music and chat about the game like everyone else does, but they wanted to activate bow ties and do a loving news show and it's even more unwatchable than the ones CIG put out that they are trying to save everyone from watching.

So then they came up with the "summaries" which are clearly done during the broadcast when their brains are numb from listening to Ben mumbling about food and seven Wing Commander discs and REALLY COOL STUFF and ya de wop de whoah did

Then they do the full transcript 3 days after the loving summary is posted on Reddit, which no one looks at or gives a gently caress about because it's already out of date and there's already a new show on Twitch and all that stuff's probably been changed already and anyway it didn't come from Chris so therefore it isn't OFFISHAL

Then some sperg on a forum gets into an argument and googles something that Ben Lesnick, Developer said 8 months ago about some ship which would have a titty bar and sparks shooting out of the dancing girls nipples whilst 12 guys manned the turrets in orbit around a space farm and on and on it goes

The only reason anyone would put all this loving effort into something like INN is if they were getting something out of it, because they sure aren't doing CIG any favours and they sure don't have anyone other than goons and bots watching their streams.

How many boobs does the space dancing girl have? Asking for a friend.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

peter gabriel posted:

I got to play a bit more, it's bad.
It's worse in every way
I love it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1Jw7Kx80f4

Viewer request, if you happen to spawn as just a pair of feet, or a floating head, try to play the game as long as possible. It happened on twitch a few times, but it only lasts for like 2 or 3 minutes before you get errored out. It is the funniest thing to see.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Samizdata posted:

In my experience, I can just click the upvote with no worries. Bur I always try to say something nice, as he actually had to experience this crap, then edit it (triggering his PTSD from the prior experience), then add one of his spooky good soundtracks.

Always appreciated o9

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Lime Tonics posted:

Viewer request, if you happen to spawn as just a pair of feet, or a floating head, try to play the game as long as possible. It happened on twitch a few times, but it only lasts for like 2 or 3 minutes before you get errored out. It is the funniest thing to see.

If that ever happens it'll not be left out, count on it ha ha

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

quote:

Actually i tried it when it was free and loved it. Thats why im here. I have high expectation on this game and hope to see it shine.

you just cant help some people

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Tippis posted:

Totally missed this.

As did I, it's magnificent. :vince: :five:

The first DS bit made me spit tea, the second bit I nearly missed due to laughter. :roflolmao:

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Tippis posted:

Totally missed this.

Let Me Finish! :words:

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe

Sunswipe posted:

Taren Reichhardt posted:

In any half-way decent forum bashing the game from another company is not seen as an acceptable behavior.

Is this even true? I don't think I've ever spent any time on a game company's forum*.

*I did do a bit of reading on the Alpha Protocol forum once, looking for hints on stuff I hadn't found yet. I left when I saw someone was utterly grossed out that it was possible to have sex with SIE who was in her forties (EW!!!!!!), and annoyed you couldn't have sex with Sis who appeared to be a teenager.

It's his use of the word 'bashing' that indicates that he's not exactly coming at this with an open mind. Yes there is a certain amount of bashing going on, but there's not much 'game' to talk about, so after a while the only option left is to refute the obvious crap that the cultists keep repeatedly spouting there, and besides, most of the non-koolaid posters are simply pointing out the ludicrousness/inconsistencies of what CIG/RSI are doing, without resorting to bashing. Taren Reichhardt however has decided to lump everyone into the catagory of 'bashers'.

FD allow critism of ED in their own forum, as long as it's constructive critism. Just making a post saying 'ED is crap' is not going to be recieved favourably, except by others who would post the same type of thing. Do it enough and a poster is likely to get an infraction. Get enough infractions and a poster will eventually get a ban.

Although I think for some reason, FD have decided on a different policy for the SC thread, and are much more likely to ban accounts ASAP. It might be the sudden influx of new accounts just after Derek started posting there. Accounts that when I check their post history, have only ever posted in the SC thread (with maybe a few early posts elsewhere). It's so transparent it makes me laugh.

Taren Reichhardt is a bit unusual though - he posted quite a bit in the ED area around 2014, then disappeared until around 2016, where he posted entirely in the SC thread. Maybe he was playing ED until he could play SC, and has now returned to defend Chris' honour.

One thing is for certain though - Derek Smart is definitely a lightning rod :D

It used to be relatively quiet in there (but still quite heated at times). The thread would get locked for a cooldown period every few months. Then DS shows up and all hell breaks loose. And the thread hasn't been locked since. Go figure :rolleyes:

Ponzi fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jun 12, 2016

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe

Samizdata posted:

4 Saw a pic of Sandi from twenty years ago, and his mind was clouded by her completely irresistible sex appeal.

FIFY

Lord Kinbote
Feb 27, 2016

Tippis posted:

Needs Derek smart with sith lord music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTRTGtM1hAU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Tippis posted:

:five::kayak::vince::bravo:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Samizdata posted:

4 Saw a pic of Sandi, and his mind was clouded by her completely irresistible sex appeal.

This is Sandi having lunch on September 10th 2001 at the twin towers in New York.

She used to have some appeal.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jun 12, 2016

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

peter gabriel posted:

Always appreciated o9

No need for that, commando. Just calling them as I see them.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Samizdata posted:

that is one i can safely say is not a possibility

and i'm the guy who completely forgot spending money on a scam

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

spacetoaster posted:

This is Sandi having lunch on September 10th 2001 at the twin towers in New York. Probably after she planted the thermite explosives in the towers.

She used to have some appeal.

Even then she apparently had zero fashion sense.

(And that pic just gives me the sense of "looking for the sugar daddy"...)

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Danknificent posted:

Ships? Ships?! Where's the game?

The game?

:psyduck:

e: tax

You're in the game right now ;-) I was giving them the benefit of the doubt. Something no one should ever do with CIG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Samizdata posted:

Even then she apparently had zero fashion sense.

(And that pic just gives me the sense of "looking for the sugar daddy"...)

Well yeah.

Tiger pants yo.

• Locked thread