Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Elliotw2 posted:

The Android end is happening, since the Moto Z and a couple of other high end phones are confirmed to not have headphone jacks. Motorola is at least being nice and including a USB-C to 3.5mm adapter.

Motorola doesn't have anything to do with Google anymore and they're a bit player in the Android world anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

dissss posted:

Motorola doesn't have anything to do with Google anymore and they're a bit player in the Android world anyway.

:cryingmotox:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

well why not posted:

My gaming PC still has a GTX460. It runs fairly recent games just fine. Very overdue for an update, so relieved I waited for the 10xx series to come out.

I have a GTX 760 and it's surprising how the newest games will run just fine, provided you're willing to drop down to medium settings. I am also looking to upgrade to a 1070, though.

We've come a long way since the days of the early 2000's when you had to replace your rig every two years if you wanted to play new games at all. Or maybe I'm just remembering it that way.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I feel like I want to give a lot of credit to Blizzard. Say what you will about the actual content of WoW, but the game was incredibly optimized. I don't feel like looking up any hard numbers right now, but that game would run with extremely old hardware compared to other games at the time.

Yes, it had a really low bottom-end of graphic fidelity, but it helped set the expectation that your computer doesn't have to be trashed after a year or two passed

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I played that poo poo with an old rear end AMD CPU, 512mb of ram and a 256mb AGP graphics card well into WotLK. So yeah, it was pretty well optimized.

Though I did raid molten core with everything turned down to minimum and my camera zoomed all the way in looking at the floor unless I wanted 5 FPS. Doing that I got maybe 9. At least I was a healer and UI mods were the biggest factor in that.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

IIRC, I played our first Illidan kill on the Intel integrated in my old thinkpad. With everything turned down it was just barely playable, but slowed down unpleasantly when there were too many AoE effects. For maximum gooniness, I was in London to visit some of the other WoW guys, sleeping over at our guildmaster's house.

Computer viking has a new favorite as of 11:12 on Jun 12, 2016

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

Sound Cards. Does anyone who isn't a professional musician actually have separate sound cards on computers these days?
I do, but only because I tripped over my headphone cable and managed to rip the 3.5mm connector out of the motherboard. Buying a $20 pcie sound card was easier than trying to fix the on-board connector.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Obsolete technology and video card chat: Here's the video card in my old desktop, which I haven't touched in years:

And for the record, here's the board I'm using it in:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Sentient Data posted:

I feel like I want to give a lot of credit to Blizzard. Say what you will about the actual content of WoW, but the game was incredibly optimized. I don't feel like looking up any hard numbers right now, but that game would run with extremely old hardware compared to other games at the time.

Yes, it had a really low bottom-end of graphic fidelity, but it helped set the expectation that your computer doesn't have to be trashed after a year or two passed

I ran Witcher 3 on a GTX 460 for a while. Sure, settings had to be pretty low, but my framerates were actually playable. I upgraded anyway so I could make the game prettier but the point stands that CD Projekt Red made a game that's optimized well enough that you can still run it at a playable framerate with a card 3 generations behind their stated minimum.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Samizdata posted:

Mkay, what were the other 70% then? Yeah, I am saying citation needed here.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

I knew a fucker who lashed four of these bastards together when they were at their prime. Wtf, dude. He made models for tf2 items, which made him dosh, but gently caress if he didn't spend it as soon as it came in.

He had a monster computer, but would come up short rent, and his roomie would pull his rear end out of a sling. What a dick.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Obsolete technology and video card chat: Here's the video card in my old desktop, which I haven't touched in years:

And for the record, here's the board I'm using it in:

Maaaaan, I had always wanted to run a dual chip board back in my Athlon days.
How much RAM can you fit on that bad boy? Give us the specs!

I still have burned into my brain the motherboards I used.
I did have an 8RDA, and then later bought a modded A7N8X

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

That's a Tyan Thunder K8W with a pair of dual-core Opterons and 16GB of Registered+ECC RAM.

The video card is an ATi FireGL X1 256, an AGP Pro 50 card. Going to replace it with a simpler nVidia AGP card (6000 or 7000 series), I don't game so don't need the GPU performance, just need driver support for hardware acceleration for streaming video in Windows 7 and up.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Cheers, although I have to admit, it would be interesting seeing market share of cards at that time.

And I love the fact MS drivers were such serious pants. I mean, they always have been, but, you know... (Of course, Vista was serious pants. Like OS by CIG or something.)

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Shugojin posted:

I have some incredibly nebulous interference-type problem with the onboard and even a pci-e sound card I plugged into this computer where there's a buzzing heard through my nice headphones that increases with CPU load so technically I have an internal separate sound card. A cheap USB sound card fixed the issue and I haven't really wanted that single pci-e x1 slot so uhhh I haven't bothered to take the internal one out because :effort:
I had the exact same problem with a PCI sound card back in the day. My solution was to make a hillbilly EMI shield around the card out of tin foil, duct tape and cardboard.

It worked much better than it ought to have.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Looking for scores, TV listings, golf tips, soap opera updates or even nursery rhymes for the kiddos? Welcome to 1993.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Elliotw2 posted:

Considering that Apple and Google are removing/discouraging 3.5mm jacks in their higher end models, that "yet" might be sooner than you think.

My first smartphone was the HTC G1, which lacked a headphone port. You needed an adapter (Mini-B to 3.5). It was also one of those "sideways" things so it didn't go well with pockets, I ended up replacing it twice before I sold the phone to a friend.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Shugojin posted:

I ran Witcher 3 on a GTX 460 for a while. Sure, settings had to be pretty low, but my framerates were actually playable. I upgraded anyway so I could make the game prettier but the point stands that CD Projekt Red made a game that's optimized well enough that you can still run it at a playable framerate with a card 3 generations behind their stated minimum.

I played Battlefield 4 and MG5 on my 470 for a bit before upgrading to a 670. It made an appreciable difference but not an astounding one.

moller has a new favorite as of 11:59 on Jun 13, 2016

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Looking for scores, TV listings, golf tips, soap opera updates or even nursery rhymes for the kiddos? Welcome to 1993.

Holy poo poo haven't thought about these in years

I used to use a similar service as a kid to take calls from friends late at night, using call waiting so as not to wake my parents. Call waiting sure isn't obsolete, but the lack of it seems to be- I heard a busy signal the other week and it threw me for a loop

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Huge chunky poo poo to make up for shoddy wiring is 'the best'?

Explosionface posted:

I know I certainly can and do.

My biggest issues are usually plugs finding a way to come out just a little bit exposing live conductors or the polarized part causing wall warts to always be in the wrong orientation. The incremental improvements over time have definitely helped.

This is true, we need to adopt the plastic upper bit. Probably do a phase in where the sockets have to accept them for several years before we mandate it on the plugs.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Buttcoin purse posted:

I have a GeForce GT 720 which seemed pretty great when I got it for free, and I mostly don't play any games on it that aren't in DOSBox anyway, but now when I try to play the recently-released Doom E1M8 from John Romero in the Doomsday engine with all the high res textures, 3D models, etc., I don't get very many FPS. I thought just about any card should be good enough to play a game from 23 years ago :saddowns:

Anyway this all means I have no freaking idea why a GTX 970 is obsolete. Surely they are still making drivers for it? Did a new version of DirectX or shader model or something come out that Grand Theft Auto 17 is going to use and GTX 970 doesn't support it?

Doomsday belongs in this thread, just run gzdoom jeeze. (Also 3d models and high rez textures? Nearest mipmap for life.)

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Buttcoin purse posted:

Anyway this all means I have no freaking idea why a GTX 970 is obsolete. Surely they are still making drivers for it? Did a new version of DirectX or shader model or something come out that Grand Theft Auto 17 is going to use and GTX 970 doesn't support it?

That's a Titan. The new 1080 is way cheaper (like half) and comparable in specs. Basically, buying a new Titan would be close to the worst financial decision you could make right now.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

The new 1070 edges the Titan X out in most performance benchmarks for $600-$700 less.

Buttcoin purse posted:

You can hold on to your 970 for another year or two if you're only expecting to game at 1080p and not do anything crazy (like 4k or VR).

twistedmentat posted:

Sound Cards. Does anyone who isn't a professional musician actually have separate sound cards on computers these days? I saw they do still sell them, but doesn't an integrated card do everything you need, and with USB headphones, isn't sound just software?

I hated the sound quality of the onboard Realtek audio in my PC, so I spent $25ish on an Asus Xonar DG and threw a UNi Xonar driver on it. Still consider it (and the Sennheiser headphones I bought some time later) to be a pretty good investment.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Plebs. :smuggo:
My Titan Z runs 4k games just fine. (Forget that it cost me $1500 :( )

To be fair, it was bought for its double-precision CUDA capabilities rather than its gaming prowess. I haven't looked too closely, but I don't think the 1070 is in that same category. The memory bandwidth though...:allears:

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

TotalLossBrain posted:

Plebs. :smuggo:
My Titan Z runs 4k games just fine. (Forget that it cost me $1500 :( )

To be fair, it was bought for its double-precision CUDA capabilities rather than its gaming prowess. I haven't looked too closely, but I don't think the 1070 is in that same category. The memory bandwidth though...:allears:

Minesweeper or CS GO don't count.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Eh, I tried Fallout 4 and MGS:V. The latter ran far better than Bethesda's release day mess but it was still pretty good.

Spy_Guy
Feb 19, 2013

I bought a new desktop calculator to replace the Walther WSR-160 (for the times when I feel the Cellatron is too big to fit on my desk).

The Hamann Manus R. Invented by a German fellow named Christel Hamann in the 1920s, the R model was built during the mid 70s by DeTeWe, or the Deutsche Telephon Werke AG (German telephone company).
A feature unique to this machine is that it can perform divisions automatically. Other machines would have you crank one way until a bell rang, shift the carriage, crank the other way and repeat. With this one you just input the dividend and divisor, flip three levers and crank until you have the required precision (hence why it's replacing the Walther). :eng101:

It's rather rare to find these for sale, so I was lucky to find one in this condition, even though it was full of dust when I got it. Nothing a can of compressed air, some q-tips and machine lubricant couldn't fix, though. :unsmith:

Additionally:

Bonus Curta.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Spy_Guy posted:

I bought a new desktop calculator to replace the Walther WSR-160 (for the times when I feel the Cellatron is too big to fit on my desk).

The Hamann Manus R. Invented by a German fellow named Christel Hamann in the 1920s, the R model was built during the mid 70s by DeTeWe, or the Deutsche Telephon Werke AG (German telephone company).
A feature unique to this machine is that it can perform divisions automatically. Other machines would have you crank one way until a bell rang, shift the carriage, crank the other way and repeat. With this one you just input the dividend and divisor, flip three levers and crank until you have the required precision (hence why it's replacing the Walther). :eng101:

It's rather rare to find these for sale, so I was lucky to find one in this condition, even though it was full of dust when I got it. Nothing a can of compressed air, some q-tips and machine lubricant couldn't fix, though. :unsmith:

Additionally:

Bonus Curta.

C...can we have a video of you using it?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Croccers posted:

Do it slowly. It's an old typewriter.

Spy_Guy
Feb 19, 2013

Croccers posted:

Sure thing. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7flZNhThrEo
I'd have posted it earlier but didn't wanna be a shameful plug. Don't know about the request to do it slowly, though, since the video is kind of old. Sure wouldn't mind making another one if there's something someone wants to see.

Also made one when I had the covers off for cleaning to show what happens if you divide by zero.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOJPPD-DfQ8
It's not super exciting, I think :ssh:

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Dare you to take that Curta apart. (No seriously don;t do that)

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Spy_Guy posted:

Bonus Curta.

Son of a bitch :monocle:. I will kill you and take it from you

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

hackbunny posted:

Son of a bitch :monocle:. I will kill you and take it from you

We already broke the Enigma code, there's no need to go to such extremes.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Spy_Guy posted:

Sure thing. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7flZNhThrEo
I'd have posted it earlier but didn't wanna be a shameful plug. Don't know about the request to do it slowly, though, since the video is kind of old. Sure wouldn't mind making another one if there's something someone wants to see.

Also made one when I had the covers off for cleaning to show what happens if you divide by zero.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOJPPD-DfQ8
It's not super exciting, I think :ssh:

Your thumb is bigger on the end than in the middle. Wtf?

Cool stuff tho. (Don't take the thumb jab seriously, lol)

Spy_Guy
Feb 19, 2013

Keiya posted:

Dare you to take that Curta apart. (No seriously don;t do that)

Funny thing about the Curta is that it's basically booby-trapped. There are two big, rather inviting screws on the bottom, to someone who has more screwdrivers than sense. If you take those out, then pull the baseplate off you will find a bunch of thin metal rods being launched at you.
These are the rods that drive the result register. They are spring-loaded and each of them has an exact position within the machine where it needs to be.

Now they're on your floor in a heap. Getting the Curta back together again is going to be very difficult.

DicktheCat posted:

Your thumb is bigger on the end than in the middle. Wtf?

Cool stuff tho. (Don't take the thumb jab seriously, lol)

Haha, yeah. There's a story behind that too.

Glad you like the videos! :)
The most alarming thing about my thumb is not that. It's that it bends backwards at a 90 degree angle.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

This takes me back to fruitless hours of googling to try and work out why I was getting continuous bluescreens with nvlddmkm.sys errors, thanks for the garbage drivers and garbage g92 boards nVidia!

Also re plugchat, when I was a child I used to insist on changing any plugs that needed it or replacing the fuses myself including the old manual ones where you had to loop in the fuse wire yourself.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sentient Data posted:

Worked fine on dial-up too.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!
So last weekend I picked up a little album with a couple of home-recorded discs in it, because the cover looked cool and the contents seemed interesting (apparently a recording from the radio call of the "Red Cross Game", which was kind of the first national college basketball championship back in 1943):

Neat, huh? But when I got home I noticed some things I hadn't in the thrift store, namely 1. "SLOW BURNING" in the middle of the red label, 2. the Underwriter's Laboratories logo on the bottom of the red label, and 3. the closing lines of the promo text on the back cover:

Does this really mean what it seems to mean? Did the early days of home recording have a body count?? :stare:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

Lazlo Nibble posted:

Does this really mean what it seems to mean? Did the early days of home recording have a body count?? :stare:

Acetate discs?

They don’t seem to be as extraordinarily flammable as nitrocellulose film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Lazlo Nibble posted:

Have you seen Inglourious Basterds? Film/tape at the time was literally cordite in sheet form.

Also cordite was advertised as "slow-burning" as opposed to, say, TNT (it just burns really fast, rather than supersonically detonating, you see. That's the difference between "low" (gun propellant) and "high" (the filler for artillery shells) explosives..