Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Most of my shoutouts are from fat women in their 50s who think my NA is cute or 10 year old boys who think it's a Porsche.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
The kids at my daughter's daycare center always love it, women in their fifties at work love it, and I received 2 "nice car fag" greetings in one day from two separate bro trucks in Framingham within a couple hours of one another.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

GutBomb posted:

The kids at my daughter's daycare center always love it, women in their fifties at work love it, and I received 2 "nice car fag" greetings in one day from two separate bro trucks in Framingham within a couple hours of one another.

ThIs is exactly why I'm in the market for a miata. I ride a bicycle, drive a truck, and own two scooters. I want to baffle the haters as much as I can.

Bud
Oct 5, 2002

Quite Polite Like Walter Cronkite
My NA seems to be pretty well received here in Northern VA. Old guys dig it and a woman was scoping out my gold enkeis at a stop light the other night.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I've had plenty of girls yell that they like the car but then I turn my head and they recoil in horror and speed off, usually through a red light. You can still hear the screaming for miles.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

http://imgur.com/gallery/q1VxXB4

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Old classic. UK Spec Miataish series, iirc.

I'm surprised at the lack of window nets.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

The only hate I get is from brotrucks. Everyone else gets it or stays quiet I guess.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So many of them in FL it's almost a non issue. Still get garbage thrown in it with the top down, but I think that's just a convertible thing that assholes can't resist.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
Is it OK to use regular, non-synthetic oil in the NA? That red 95 I'm considering has been/is using it. Can I switch it over to synthetic next time? Thanks.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

willroc7 posted:

Is it OK to use regular, non-synthetic oil in the NA? That red 95 I'm considering has been/is using it. Can I switch it over to synthetic next time? Thanks.
Doesn't matter.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

leica posted:

So many of them in FL it's almost a non issue. Still get garbage thrown in it with the top down, but I think that's just a convertible thing that assholes can't resist.

:stare: I'm glad I've never had to deal with that. Then again, I don't live in Florida, and I guess that explains a lot....

Bud
Oct 5, 2002

Quite Polite Like Walter Cronkite
Semi local junkyard has a wrecked 2002. Was thinking about grabbing A arms, subframes, etc to refresh my old rusty NA. Provided nothing's bent, what exactly should I target? I read I'd need the steering rack as mine wouldn't fit. I love my manual rack so I guess I could depower?

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

What is the goon-approved miata cover?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

willroc7 posted:

What is the goon-approved miata cover?

:gizz:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Atomizer posted:

:stare: I'm glad I've never had to deal with that. Then again, I don't live in Florida, and I guess that explains a lot....

Well you gotta figure, tons of convertibles in this state with drop top weather year round it's bound to happen.

If you haven't had trash or a 5 pound bag of peanuts (not kidding) dumped in your convertible around here you're not a true 'vert enthusiast :colbert:

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

On top of that, obviously.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

:toot:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I drove my Miata to work today, and took the long way past downtown. It was a great way to start my day. :rice:

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Tried doing rear discs and rotors on my NA today. Got everything done on one side and went back to the caliper adjustment hole with a 4 mm hex key, stuck the key in, and just rattles around. It doesn't connect or "socket in" to the head of the adjusment screw like it did when I loosened it. I've spent about 20 min poking around in there, taking photos, etc...it's too small a space to show up on camera and I can't figure out what's wrong. Any tips?

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
If you backed it out too far, the actual adjustment screw thing can fall out when you moved the caliper to remove the disc.

Its part 26733 on this graphic
http://www.jimellismazdaparts.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=302506&ukey_make=995&ukey_model=14360&modelYear=1993&ukey_category=20285

You can pull the caliper again and stare down the hole to see if its still in there at all.

Edit: Apparently they can strip too. Who knows!

Laranzu fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jun 19, 2016

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Yeah, it fell out and into the control arm which is why I couldn't find it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
They will strip if you've exposed it to something that produces rust at any time in its life.

You should sauce up the hole with PB blaster a minute or so before trying to adjust them. Even then just do a small wiggle back and forth with foamy squirts of PB before you start with any actual pressure.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jun 19, 2016

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Man, I never realized how much ftypes look like new miatas until I followed one today.

Once I got up close though, drat I was envious

ethanol fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jun 19, 2016

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

So I bought the thing. Going to delve into the realm of DIY with the valve cover gasket. It's also leaking from the rear axle (diff?) but I might have a shop handle that. Other plans include getting the paint on the nose and plastic area between the tail lights polished up as they are pretty faded. It's more evident than the picture shows. Also, I need a car cover. Any recommendations?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Pull up on your headlight covers to align them with the hood.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Yay new caliper day. :sigh:

Solved the mystery of where the air in my lines is coming from at least.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Larrymer posted:

Pull up on your headlight covers to align them with the hood.

I will try this tonight. You just pull on them?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Well theres a brake shop I'm not going back to. My brakes are even spongier than before, I still cant lock the tires even when putting my full weight on the pedal, and now my handbrake doesn't work. They refused to fix any of this (despite the mushy brakes being my only complaint when I came in) and insisted the brakes were fine.

Lesson learned: Dont pick brake shops based on proximity to a chinese place you wanted to have lunch at.

Great Beer fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jun 20, 2016

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

willroc7 posted:

Yep, they're very thin and bend very easily. Just do a little at a time to line them up with the hood. Nice car, what year/package, etc? :)

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

willroc7 posted:

There are 4 small bolts holding them on that you need to loosen. They're either 8mm or 10mm. You'll have to pop the lights up and take the black plastic shrouds off to access all of them.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

NinjaTech posted:

There are 4 small bolts holding them on that you need to loosen. They're either 8mm or 10mm. You'll have to pop the lights up and take the black plastic shrouds off to access all of them.
Well they actually looked a little bent at the tops so I bent them on back! No screws a-messed with. Although I did read about that method elsewhere as well.

Larrymer posted:

Yep, they're very thin and bend very easily. Just do a little at a time to line them up with the hood. Nice car, what year/package, etc? :)

It's a 95 with the popular equipment package, so it has power mirrors, alloys, and the torsen LSD. Cloth interior which looks off-the-showroom-floor. One owner since new (2nd counting me). An accountant bought it for his wife's 40th birthday and he kept every maintenance record for it. He even did oil changes every year despite being driven only <300 miles some years. It's got its little dings and flaws here and there and it was definitely driven (96k total miles), but it's a nice little runner, and right now a great 10-footer.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Great Beer posted:

Well theres a brake shop I'm not going back to. My brakes are even spongier than before, I still cant lock the tires even when putting my full weight on the pedal, and now my handbrake doesn't work. They refused to fix any of this (despite the mushy brakes being my only complaint when I came in) and insisted the brakes were fine.

Lesson learned: Dont pick brake shops based on proximity to a chinese place you wanted to have lunch at.

A lot of lovely brake shops never actually look up how the rear brakes are adjusted on Miatas.

Then they gently caress it all up.

Either that or they just gently caress it up all around.

Laranzu fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jun 21, 2016

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Yeah, the previous owner of my car (or the BMW dealership he sold it to) just squeezed the rear pistons into the calipers to slap some cheap pads on before they sold it. I properly adjusted the non-functional handbrake and then a few days later one of the calipers puked all my brake fluid onto my garage floor so I replaced it with a junkyard caliper and all was well...until I replaced the other rear caliper with a remanufactured one from the auto parts store. I decided after I'd already left MazMart, who buys every junked Mazda in the Atlanta metro area, that I should do both calipers since the other was probably equally destroyed and on borrowed time. Went with a reman caliper to save myself another trip to the opposite side of Atlanta, and a few days later all my brake fluid escaped in the two minutes it took to go into Dominoes. Ended up having the car flatbeded home and having to get another junkyard caliper from MazMart the next day after returning the lovely one to the parts store.

In short, gently caress people who don't know how rear calipers work and I'm glad I don't have ABS.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
It's almost comforting to know that I'm not the only person who has problems with their brakes. My 99 has needed a new caliper and master cylinder in the past year. I even had to pay a mechanic to bleed the brakes because I wasn't able to get all the air out myself.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Invest in a mighty vac, must have tool for brake work. Brakes are simple and everyone should learn how to do brakes because taking your car to a "brake shop" is a crap shoot.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

leica posted:

Invest in a mighty vac, must have tool for brake work. Brakes are simple and everyone should learn how to do brakes because taking your car to a "brake shop" is a crap shoot.

Can you provide a link to a good one? I see lots of stuff online with varying reviews.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dautomotive&field-keywords=Mityvac

I use the cheap $40 one but the one that runs on compressed air looks like the poo poo. I don't remember paying more the $20 for the cheap one though.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah the cheap one for 40 bucks is all you need. I've had mine for about ten years now I think. Just don't put it on backwards or you'll get a face full of brake fluid ask me how I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
We hand bleed like scrubs because i never have a vacuum bleeder when we are doing brake work.