Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
And Batman is such a good detective he doesn't need to ask follow-up questions of his magic sci-fi chair/box/thing like... "What are ALL of their names?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
My personal fanwank is that there's only one Joker, but his past is in constant flux because he's basically chaos incarnate. If Batman had asked five minues later he would've gotten only one name, but it would be a completely different name than the three he got, and tomorrow he'd get six names and one of them is Bruce Wayne, and so on.

The three Jokers thing is stupid and I'm ignoring it, basically.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

site posted:

What became of that whole THE JOKER'S TRUE IDENTITY WILL BE REVEALED!!! that happened a while back? Who is he really for sure this time?

Batman asked the motherbox what the Joker's identity is. Instead of giving him a name, it said, "You know there are three of those assholes out there, right?" and Batman was too shocked to ask any follow-ups.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gavok posted:

Batman asked the motherbox what the Joker's identity is. Instead of giving him a name, it said, "You know there are three of those assholes out there, right?" and Batman was too shocked to ask any follow-ups.

WORLD'S GREATEST DETECTIVE

Also, as soon as he got told that, either the Jokers suddenly got really sloppy, or Batman suddenly realised that people can't be in 2 places at once.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

The best idea I ever heard for Joker's real identity is that he is the one person who has survived throughout every Crisis or Crisis-type event, and the universe constantly fracturing and reforming around him has shattered his psyche, turning him into a total nihilist who can't comprehend any accountability for his actions because he thinks the entire past will be erased and reality recreated before he's able to substantially affect anything.

No matter what they end up revealing, I'm going to pretend it's that.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

CapnAndy posted:

The three Jokers thing is stupid and I'm ignoring it, basically.

This is the best way to deal with immensely stupid things that happen sometimes. [cough]captain nazi america[/cough]

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Dunbar posted:

The best idea I ever heard for Joker's real identity is that he is the one person who has survived throughout every Crisis or Crisis-type event, and the universe constantly fracturing and reforming around him has shattered his psyche, turning him into a total nihilist who can't comprehend any accountability for his actions because he thinks the entire past will be erased and reality recreated before he's able to substantially affect anything.

No matter what they end up revealing, I'm going to pretend it's that.

Isn't that already the Psycho Pirate's deal?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Travis343 posted:

Was. It was.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Travis343 posted:

Also mostly Superboy Prime's.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Hmmm well that not asking any follow up questions sure makes the World's Greatest Detective sound like a pretty huge moron and having there be three jokers kinda craps on the whole yin/yang thing him and Bats have going on.

So that's a bummer.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He's a detective, not an interviewer.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Unless they're identical triplets you'd think Batman would've noticed they're not the same guy.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Aphrodite posted:

I don't think any of the arcade endings would be canon.

I can't think of many fighters where very many arcade endings are canon. Usually it's like...just Liu Kang and Sub-Zero or something like that.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

SonicRulez posted:

I can't think of many fighters where very many arcade endings are canon.

Outside of most MK games and villain characters, like 80% of fighting game endings are canon.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gavok posted:

Outside of most MK games and villain characters, like 80% of fighting game endings are canon.

Charlie died like 6 times.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Gavok posted:

I don't think that's true. For the simple fact that most of them start with ________ beat *insert final boss here* when clearly only one guy could do that.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Sorry if this is spoilerific, it's about Rebirth:

So, Calendar Man is magical somehow, shedding his skin every year, now? Did this come right out of left field, or is there some Morrison-esque Silver Age story that implies this?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

SonicRulez posted:

I don't think that's true. For the simple fact that most of them start with ________ beat *insert final boss here* when clearly only one guy could do that.

Grant Morrison should make a comic based on a fighting game.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Scaramouche posted:

Sorry if this is spoilerific, it's about Rebirth:

So, Calendar Man is magical somehow, shedding his skin every year, now? Did this come right out of left field, or is there some Morrison-esque Silver Age story that implies this?

I believe it is completely new.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

Charlie died like 6 times.

That's why he's currently a Frankenstein's monster.

SonicRulez posted:

Naturally, but usually everything else tends to happen regardless. Ryu wanders off to find more fights, Ken gets married to Eliza, Guile reconnects with his family, Chun-Li feels closure with her father's death, Blanka finds his mother, etc. Whether or not Zangief had a dance party with Gorbachev is up in the air.

Or when you look at the game Guilty Gear, although Sol Badguy is the one to kill Justice, the events of pretty much every single ending happened because they don't rely on who gets to kill the big bad.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."

Skwirl posted:

Grant Morrison should make a comic based on a fighting game.

He made a pretty drat good comic about Zoids which is worth checking out.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

All Dan endings are canon imo.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

All Dan endings are canon imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUB5F4bAxcA

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I have this collection of Street Angel:
http://www.amazon.com/Street-Angel-Princess-Poverty-1/dp/1593620128

I see this collection exists:
http://www.amazon.com/Street-Angel-Brian-Maruca/dp/1935233297

Is the second collection the same content or something new? I can't tell from the descriptions that I've found.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, Dan rules.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I mained a groove-broken version of Dan in CvS2 and I've never regretted that decision once.

I was really sad when SF4 rebalances made him actually viable. :(

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I used him in the dumb single-player mode of the PS1 SFA3 that I was borrowing from a friend. Around level 30 it became more difficult than I could manage and my friend would play his similarly leveled Ken or Ryu or whoever and just wipe me across the floor.

It was dumb fun I guess.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Travis343 posted:

I believe it is completely new.

Huh. I'm not heavily invested in Calendar Man, nor would I really go to bat for him, but it seems like a weird place to go with his character. To me, he was always about being obsessed with holidays, but also completely crazy, which makes him not ... relatable, but understandable? His obsession was his weakness and his strength, such as it was. To give him this bizarre, mystical link to nature(?) makes him less interesting in my opinion, and kind of invalidates that frailty that his insanity brought to the table.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
When you think of The Avengers, who's on the team? I figure Cap, Iron Man, Thor, Hawkeye, Ant-Man, Wasp, Quicksilver, and Scarlet Witch. You can take or leave Hulk and Vision.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

SonicRulez posted:

When you think of The Avengers, who's on the team? I figure Cap, Iron Man, Thor, Hawkeye, Ant-Man, Wasp, Quicksilver, and Scarlet Witch. You can take or leave Hulk and Vision.

Vision is a def mainstay. Hulk has been a member for maybe 10 issues in the entire series.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

Vision is a def mainstay. Hulk has been a member for maybe 10 issues in the entire series.

But he was in both movies and both modern cartoons, so it's easy to associate him with the team.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

SonicRulez posted:

Cap, Iron Man, Thor, Vision, Scarlet Witch, Hawkeye, Wasp, Jarvis.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

SonicRulez posted:

Cap, Iron Man, Hawkeye, Thor, Black Widow, and now, thanks to Bendis, I think of Luke Cage and Spider-Man.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

For me the avengers are Cap, Iron Man, Hawkeye, Scarlet Witch, Giant-Man, Wasp, Thor and maybe Vision. Unless I'm in a 90's mood in which case USAgent as well, and replace Hawkeye with Goliath, and Giant-Man with Hank Pym.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

He was a regular member for the bulk of Hickman's run which is a lot more than 10 issues.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Cap, Iron Man, and Thor basically ARE the Avengers in the same way the Trinity are for the Justice League. You can absolutely have a line-up without them, but if there's a title with them in it, THAT's the main Avengers/League to me.

I basically never read Avengers before Bendis, so my view's a hair skewed, but I'd probably have Cap, Thor, Iron Man, Widow, Captain Marvel (Carol), Spider-Man (any), Cage, Songbird (Avengers Forever was also an early read) and Hawkeye. Throw in Wasp or Ant-Man in a pinch.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

For all that the Avengers are supposed to be "Earth's Mightiest Heroes", part of the team identity, to me, is the random-rear end assemblage of characters that can turn up as an Avengers roster. I don't have an iconic ideal line-up; it's more like like I'd be able to assign an Avengers Points value to every Marvel character, and as long as a roster hit some certain average Avengers Points rating per character, it would probably work just fine for me.

At most, I could sort every character into two buckets: Iconic Avenger and Sure This Person Could Work As An Avenger, and make sure to pull a minimum of the "Avengers Points" from the first bucket. Even that seems unnecessary, though—the leather jacket garbage roster is still Avengers enough for my purposes.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

To me I only consider Cap, Thor, and Iron Man must-haves, and beyond that the whole point of the Avengers is that the status of the team is constantly in flux. It's not like the Justice League where they'll just add new members but consider the "founding members" most important, to me the whole point of the Avengers is that team compositions are very fluid and prone to change (obviously reflective of which heroes they are or aren't willing to push, but yeah, to me the thematic counterpoint to JL is that the Avengers isn't a "membership for life" deal over just one job among many.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Gaz-L posted:

Cap, Iron Man, and Thor basically ARE the Avengers in the same way the Trinity are for the Justice League. You can absolutely have a line-up without them, but if there's a title with them in it, THAT's the main Avengers/League to me.

Suddenly I remember that lovely 90's Avengers cartoon and shudder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Gavok posted:

Suddenly I remember that lovely 90's Avengers cartoon and shudder.

That cartoon had a rockin' Kang design, though.