Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Mirror's Edge is an action-adventure platform video game developed by EA DICE and published by Electronic Arts. It was released in November 2008 on Xbox 360 and PS3, and in January 2009 on PC. At it's core, this game is a first person platformer where you parkour your way around the city, exploring your surroundings and getting from point A to point B as quickly and stylishly as possible.

Videos:
01 - The Edge (polsy)
02 - Flight (polsy)
03 - Jacknife (polsy)
04 - Heat (polsy)
05 - Ropeburn (polsy)
06 - New Eden (polsy)
07 - Pirandello Kruger (polsy)
08 - The Boat (polsy)
09 - Kate (polsy)
10 - The Shard (polsy)

FrenzyTheKillbot fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Dec 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Firewatch is a first person adventure video game developed by Campo Santo and published by Panic for Microsoft Windows, OS X, Linux, and PlayStation 4 in February 2016. Take a nice walk through the woods of Wyoming, where nothing bad ever happens. Except fires sometimes.

Videos:
01 - Into The Woods (polsy)
02 - Hey There Delilah (polsy)
03 - Mean Girls (polsy)
04 - Cabin in the Woods (polsy)
05 - Camp Nowhere (polsy)
06 - The Listening (polsy)
07 - About a Boy (polsy)
08 - Gotta Get Away (polsy)
09 - Deleted Scenes (polsy)

FrenzyTheKillbot fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Nov 19, 2016

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I have to say that I'll be watching your Firewatch videos with great interest since I've heard a lot of conflicting stuff regarding the quality of the game and in particular the ending.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Sylphosaurus posted:

I have to say that I'll be watching your Firewatch videos with great interest since I've heard a lot of conflicting stuff regarding the quality of the game and in particular the ending.

I think it's a type of game that's fundamentally inimical to some people's gaming preferences and interests, so some people are just going to hate it on principle. That said, it didn't get everything right, but I certainly don't regret buying it.

Personally I'm here for the Mirror's Edge videos because it's a game I never got around to beating because... I'm not exactly sure why, but I seem to remember getting INCREDIBLY annoyed with how capricious the game was about grabbing on to things in a level to the point where I just stopped playing. :v:

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
I love the juxtaposition here. Good times.

YoungCletus
Sep 7, 2010
I was excited about the Parkour! but staying for the art direction! Also changed my user name finallllly!

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.
I really enjoyed Mirror's Edge. It has a few problems, like the story being generic because of how bare-bones it is (while the story to Catalyst is becoming generic because of how over-written it is), but I felt the game did so much right. Movement is fun and simple. A lot of the stage designs are good if not great. It is also nice, after the last ME LPs, to see one that plays more leisurely but still knowledgeable.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It's pretty sad that Catalyst doesn't look much better than this original game that is 7 years old now.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
:siren:UPDATE:siren:

02 - Flight (polsy)

PurpleXVI posted:

I think it's a type of game that's fundamentally inimical to some people's gaming preferences and interests, so some people are just going to hate it on principle. That said, it didn't get everything right, but I certainly don't regret buying it.

Firewatch is kind of weird because I had a hard time explaining to people why I liked it. It's one of the reasons I wanted to LP it, although we'll have to see if watching instead of playing gives the same experience.

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's pretty sad that Catalyst doesn't look much better than this original game that is 7 years old now.

I know there's not much to talk about over 1 or 2 episodes of an 8 year old game, but I'd ask that you guys don't talk about Catalyst too much. Mostly since I haven't had a chance to play it yet, but also because if it turns out that I enjoy it I might LP it next.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

Firewatch is kind of weird because I had a hard time explaining to people why I liked it. It's one of the reasons I wanted to LP it, although we'll have to see if watching instead of playing gives the same experience.

Trying to avoid spoilers too much, I'd say that the enjoyable hook for me mostly consists of two things: Exploration and chemistry. I'm generally a sucker for any level of exploring fascinating environments(Subnautica, the Blackreach in Skyrim, etc.), and the environments in Firewatch are just plain gorgeous. Secondly, the chemistry between the characters, in their conversations, is just plain great. It is, almost 100%, well-written and entertaining, but at the same time also feels natural, a lot of it feels like a conversation you could, yourself, genuinely have with a good friend. I enjoyed it for the same reason I'd enjoy it as part of a good movie.

Which I think about summarizes Firewatch, really, it's less of a game and more of an interactive movie.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

FlamingLiberal posted:

Is it sad? If anything, it's a massive compliment to how well the design of the original game works that it wouldn't look any better with more tech shoved into it.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
Just got done watching your first part. On the subject of where the setting is supposed to be, obviously the city is a ficticious one but IIRC it's based on Singapore, given the cleanliness, density, and authoritarianism.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

*cough cough* Perhaps there might be a link between Merc and Mercury, god of communcation, travel etc.?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Nah, that wouldn't make any sense.

The shortness of your videos are giving me serious blueballs, Frenzy.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

Trying to avoid spoilers too much, I'd say that the enjoyable hook for me mostly consists of two things: Exploration and chemistry.

For a second I thought this was more like Miasmata than I was led to believe.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I have beaten Firewatch and not Mirror's Edge, which I feel is probably backwards from the majority. I'll be watching this with interest in any case.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

The Casualty posted:

Just got done watching your first part. On the subject of where the setting is supposed to be, obviously the city is a ficticious one but IIRC it's based on Singapore, given the cleanliness, density, and authoritarianism.

Yeah, it wasn't something I had thought of, but Cletus brings that exact point up in one of the next couple videos.

inscrutable horse posted:

*cough cough* Perhaps there might be a link between Merc and Mercury, god of communcation, travel etc.?

And yep, that would make a lot of sense.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

03 - Jacknife (polsy)

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

It is absolutely possible to play the game without killing anyone. You get a very marginally different ending for doing it.

If there are a lot of cops in one place then there's almost always a way to get past them without fighting any. I can only think of three places in the game where you're absolutely required to take everyone out before moving on, and you can always do that non-lethally.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I was always under the impression that the tunnels you were running around it through most of this level were for storm water rather than sewage. Had no idea the path on the right hand side of that cistern thing existed either, good thing I never really cared much for collecting all the packages.

Also, this level is torture if you have a fear of heights - you spend a good portion of it looking in to a pitch black abyss while making difficult jumps.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

fractalairduct posted:

It is absolutely possible to play the game without killing anyone. You get a very marginally different ending for doing it.

If there are a lot of cops in one place then there's almost always a way to get past them without fighting any. I can only think of three places in the game where you're absolutely required to take everyone out before moving on, and you can always do that non-lethally.

When I played and beat the game a long time ago I can remember i think two or three required fight locations. Or at least two locations where progress is soft blocked by enemies, meaning don't have to fight the enemies, but there is a door hatch you have to slowly crank open or a pipe to slowly climb and trying to do so with enemies around gets you lit up. Everywhere else it's entire possible to just run your way through things. It becomes your call if engaging enemies is worth it or not everywhere else.

Frenzy criticized the melee combat in the game for being too hard when you have to deal with multiple opponents at the same time. To that I agree that it's near impossible to win a melee fight in the game vs multiple enemies, but i think that's missing the point. You're not supposed to go toe to toe 1 v 2+. Hell, you're not supposed to go 1v1 toe to toe. You move and use the terrain to your advantage to make lightning or surprise strikes. In the video he showed off the power of the wall run kick, spinning a guard around and stunning him long enough for a one button disarm that knocks the guard out and steals his gun at the same time. That's how you do it. You set up opportunistic moments like that and you avoid full frontal combat.

Love the art style in this game. Really gives the feeling of a kind of white washed dystopian world. Everything white mostly, and then large swaths of a single other color. It's only ever white and one other color around. Creates a real sense of artificiality to me. So unreal because in the real world you look around and everything is different colors, you never see that much uniform coloring. The music too, love it so much. I think the art, the music, and the conversations really subtly make a wonderful world that leaves the impression that there is something terribly fake and wrong about the world you are moving through. It's just under the surface and you can't quite see it fully.

SWORDFISHHH
Apr 1, 2010
Steam is having a 75% off sale (5 USD) on the game until July 4th.

For the record I'm not being paid to say that. I've been bugging Frenzy to LP this game for a while now, I used to watch him play while drinking beers before parties!

azren
Feb 14, 2011

I personally think that the biggest criticism I have of Mirror's Edge is that there isn't enough of it.

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

Jade Star posted:

Love the art style in this game. Really gives the feeling of a kind of white washed dystopian world. Everything white mostly, and then large swaths of a single other color. It's only ever white and one other color around. Creates a real sense of artificiality to me. So unreal because in the real world you look around and everything is different colors, you never see that much uniform coloring. The music too, love it so much. I think the art, the music, and the conversations really subtly make a wonderful world that leaves the impression that there is something terribly fake and wrong about the world you are moving through. It's just under the surface and you can't quite see it fully.

This game does a good job presenting itself with the art style and the music. I always preferred playing with runner's vision because the contrast between the colors. The aesthetics of the world work well for the reason you mention. Also, to expand the notion of artificiality, I enjoyed how this game depicted a "good" dystopia. While the grungy, oppressive, and blatantly evil dystopias were all popular, this game took a different approach. One look at the opening level and you can understand how fake the world is, which then plants the doubt that the world is ruled by legitimacy. As much as I will fault the writing in this game, I do admire the departure from the generic while still adhering to the basic principles of the dystopia, such as, with what Frenzy said, the balance between security and privacy.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Jade Star posted:

When I played and beat the game a long time ago I can remember i think two or three required fight locations. Or at least two locations where progress is soft blocked by enemies, meaning don't have to fight the enemies, but there is a door hatch you have to slowly crank open or a pipe to slowly climb and trying to do so with enemies around gets you lit up. Everywhere else it's entire possible to just run your way through things. It becomes your call if engaging enemies is worth it or not everywhere else.

Frenzy criticized the melee combat in the game for being too hard when you have to deal with multiple opponents at the same time. To that I agree that it's near impossible to win a melee fight in the game vs multiple enemies, but i think that's missing the point. You're not supposed to go toe to toe 1 v 2+. Hell, you're not supposed to go 1v1 toe to toe. You move and use the terrain to your advantage to make lightning or surprise strikes. In the video he showed off the power of the wall run kick, spinning a guard around and stunning him long enough for a one button disarm that knocks the guard out and steals his gun at the same time. That's how you do it. You set up opportunistic moments like that and you avoid full frontal combat.

I don't remember exactly what I said so maybe it came out wrong, but my intent wasn't to say it was a bad thing that you can't throw down and win against a bunch of baddies. I was just trying to point out that that's how it works. The comment about bad combat is more that run to bad guy, push button, receive gun isn't particularly engaging gameplay. I know that they changed up how the combat works in the new game, but still haven't played it so I don't know if it's better or not.

Your point about running from enemies made me realize that I pretty much always choose to fight in this game. I'm thinking it's cause I'm mainly an FPS guy, so I jump at the chances to inject a little bit of that into the game. I'll have to keep that in mind and maybe choose to run sometimes if it makes sense.

Jade Star posted:

I actually had my own little pet theory about the art design that sort of goes beyond "whitewashed life". My interpretation was that the colour was more of a representation of Faith's interest or focus. Stuff she doesn't care about is always bland and grey, targets or goals are bright red, and buildings we need to explore or run through have these bold, bright colours throughout. So maybe all these other buildings we see have similar or even more detailed designs, it's just that Faith doesn't give a poo poo. Probably an over-analysis, but I like messing with the idea of perspective. Either way, the game is awesome to look at.

Mr. Highway posted:

Also, to expand the notion of artificiality, I enjoyed how this game depicted a "good" dystopia. While the grungy, oppressive, and blatantly evil dystopias were all popular, this game took a different approach. One look at the opening level and you can understand how fake the world is, which then plants the doubt that the world is ruled by legitimacy. As much as I will fault the writing in this game, I do admire the departure from the generic while still adhering to the basic principles of the dystopia, such as, with what Frenzy said, the balance between security and privacy.

I've always been a big fan of "good dystopias", as you said. Watching something like Equilibrium, for example, where the government strongmen dress like Nazis and burn people alive for feeling feelings just feels stupid. Cool movie though. Compare that to The Giver, where clearly pretty much everyone in their society is comfortable and happy, and the dystopia part comes in when they start pulling back the curtain and revealing what you have to give up to get there. Much more interesting and engaging. Mirror's Edge is absolutely closer to the latter, it just never really dives in enough to show it.

azren posted:

I personally think that the biggest criticism I have of Mirror's Edge is that there isn't enough of it.

And definitely this.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Of course it turns out that Firewatch is the actual story of a dystopia where corporations clueless dealerships take advantage of regular people:

https://twitter.com/panic/status/747498704328744960

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Kangra posted:

Of course it turns out that Firewatch is the actual story of a dystopia where corporations clueless dealerships take advantage of regular people:

https://twitter.com/panic/status/747498704328744960

Probably one of the stranger directions their Appeal to Gaming Nerds ad campaign has gone in. I thought their MGS codec calls were pretty funny.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

04 - Heat (polsy)

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

Your point about running from enemies made me realize that I pretty much always choose to fight in this game. I'm thinking it's cause I'm mainly an FPS guy, so I jump at the chances to inject a little bit of that into the game. I'll have to keep that in mind and maybe choose to run sometimes if it makes sense.

Not to suggest anything to effect your play style for the LP, but consider going over a level or two and re-evaluating fight or flight situations. For example when you climb out of the big sewer hole in the ground and you're up against 4 white armor guys with shotguns you really don't need to fight them. Getting up on top of the cargo containers and jumping over the fence puts you in a place they can not reach and quickly puts you through a doorway to break any lines of fire.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Since I brought up earlier that it's possible to do a pacifist run of the game, I should mention that knocking that guy off the ledge isn't considered a kill by the game. Only shooting people is.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
So it's like the Arkham games, where no matter the location, there's a pool of water deep enough to break their fall?

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
:siren:FIREWATCH:siren:

01 - Into The Woods (polsy)

Enjoy the first Firewatch video, even though there's not a lot of gameplay in it.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
As a person who moved to Boulder recently, drinking is good and hiking is good and everyone should do both of them, just not at the same time.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
As someone that was put off to hiking by having to go to Yosemite once a year with their parents ages 8-14, hiking is boring as gently caress and seems like the perfect time to spend drinking. Why wouldn't it be?

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
If you're a full days hike into the backcountry and you roll your ankle cause you're smashed, you're going to have a bad time.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Wow, that's quite the use of mood for Firewatch. Same song going the entire time but it changes from happy, to content/pretty, to sorrowful.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
I rarely follow video LPs but now I'm psyched for more Firewatch. :)

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I have a lot (about a lot of different points) I could say about that introduction, and I might expand on it in the future, but for now I'll just say I didn't like it.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

On the one hand I was disappointed in the Firewatch intro, but on the other hand it does do a good job implying the sort of game that's coming.

If I remember rightly Henry reaches the lookout tower at around 4 a.m., which suggests that he was making about 1 mile per hour on relatively easy terrain. So he's probably an okay if not great hiker, but one wonders why he didn't time his route and leave on time -- probably he never did much more than day hikes.

Kangra fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jul 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
You can walk a 15-20 minute mile, and while the sign said 8 miles from where Henry parked the truck he told Delilah that he hiked for two days. I don't think it's really a thing the game paid much attention to. The scale or time frame is way off for parked 8 miles away and either took 8 hours or took 2 days. It doesn't really matter in any case.

• Locked thread