Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

Unmature posted:

You specifically mention the first twelve issues, does it drop in quality after that?

Yes because Mark Millar takes over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

X-O posted:

I grew up mostly reading West Coast Avengers rather than Avengers so my interpretation of the teams is skewed based on that. But an Avengers team always feels a bit empty to me unless it has Hawkeye, Vision, Scarlet Witch, or Wonder Man. I know the last one is an odd choice, he's just a personal favorite though. Yes I'm the one guy that likes Wonder Man.
I was going to reply with a group including Wonder Man. The best version in my mind is pacifist Wonder Man who is an Avenger but just refuses to go out and punch bad guys. I would trade Hawkeye for Black Widow though.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Sailor Viy posted:

Yes because Mark Millar takes over.

Alright then, I'll be stopping at 12.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Unmature posted:

Alright then, I'll be stopping at 12.

Millar's run had potential but it fell behind schedule and then they slotted in 4 extra issues by Tom Peyer that were not very good. Pretty much the Authority is a book that shouldn't have gone past #12.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Ghostlight posted:

I was going to reply with a group including Wonder Man. The best version in my mind is pacifist Wonder Man who is an Avenger but just refuses to go out and punch bad guys. I would trade Hawkeye for Black Widow though.

I don't know why, but I always identify John Byrne art by the mouths. Hawkeye's a good example here.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

prefect posted:

I don't know why, but I always identify John Byrne art by the mouths. Hawkeye's a good example here.

Maybe it's because Byrne himself needs to be punched in the mouth.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Ghostlight posted:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Rhyno posted:

Millar's run had potential but it fell behind schedule and then they slotted in 4 extra issues by Tom Peyer that were not very good. Pretty much the Authority is a book that shouldn't have gone past #12.

Yeah. Mostly the best stuff you can say about later Authority is that it was notably still doing something different than other superhero books at the time, but if you're not reading them in the moment they were made they have not stood the test of time. The nadir was when they got Art Adams as an artist, DC decided it was too violent, and then asked Art Adams to redo pages, necessitating the whole Peyer fill-in arc.

It's amazing how hard DC hobbled Wildstorm just as it started to reach a creative peak and then eventually drove them into utter obscurity, eventually just leaving the line to serve as the DC Try-Out Book.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah. Mostly the best stuff you can say about later Authority is that it was notably still doing something different than other superhero books at the time, but if you're not reading them in the moment they were made they have not stood the test of time. The nadir was when they got Art Adams as an artist, DC decided it was too violent, and then asked Art Adams to redo pages, necessitating the whole Peyer fill-in arc.

It's amazing how hard DC hobbled Wildstorm just as it started to reach a creative peak and then eventually drove them into utter obscurity, eventually just leaving the line to serve as the DC Try-Out Book.

Paul Levtiz hated that book with a vengeance. It's no secret he's the reason DC lost Millar to Marvel.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Rhyno posted:

At least it has Quitely on art.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Three issues into The Authority and I'm not sure I get it yet. It's a good team book so far, but seems pretty boiler plate to me. Does it go nuts in the next few issues somewhere? So far it's just a buncha superheroes fighting a bad guy.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Unmature posted:

Three issues into The Authority and I'm not sure I get it yet. It's a good team book so far, but seems pretty boiler plate to me. Does it go nuts in the next few issues somewhere? So far it's just a buncha superheroes fighting a bad guy.

You might dig it more if you start with Stormwatch, since that kind of becomes the Authority. At least, that's how it was recommended to me, and there are some great Stormwatch issues. Ellis started with #37, and they should all be collected in trades.

prefect fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jun 13, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Uthor posted:

At least it has Quitely on art.

Chris Weston drew a few issues and boy howdy are those some bad looking comics.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Wildstorm was KILLING IT in the early 2000s. They had Warren Ellis' Stormwatch leading into Authority, plus his brilliant Planetary. They had Joe Casey writing a stunning, underrated, underappreciated run of Wildcats based on plot threads set up by Alan Moore during his mid-'90s run. And they had Ed Brubaker redefining noir and espionage comics and still making them fit into a world of superheroes and supervillains with Point Blank and Sleeper, also inspired by Alan Moore's WildC.A.T.s. What an era of comics. Of course it couldn't last, but those were all such quality titles. And that doesn't even go into Moore's simultaneous work on America's Best Comics at Wildstorm.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Uthor posted:

Bone, Preacher, Transmet, anything Hickman has ever written (Fantastic Four comes to mind as an obvious companion to Planetary).

Has Hickman said anything about when he's going to do more issues of The Dying And The Dead?

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

:canada:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

Nobody remembers that Sandman was briefly a reserve Avenger, before someone got a bug up their rear end about Sandman being a good guy now.

That led to one of my favorite moments in JLA/Avengers. During the big final battle, Avengers from all different time periods are fighting a bunch of villains. The focus is mostly on mixing and matching companies. Captain America fighting Prometheus. Batman fighting Batroc. Amazing Man fighting Absorbing Man.

Then there's one Marvel vs. Marvel panel thrown in there of Sandman beating the poo poo out of Scorpion :unsmith:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
My favorite JLA/Avengers mash-up is in Hickman's New Avengers when Namor kills not JLA's universe.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Skwirl posted:

My favorite JLA/Avengers mash-up is in Hickman's New Avengers when Namor kills not JLA's universe.

"We have hope."

"Well, I hope you come up with something better."

I love how much of an rear end in a top hat Namor is.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gavok posted:

That led to one of my favorite moments in JLA/Avengers. During the big final battle, Avengers from all different time periods are fighting a bunch of villains. The focus is mostly on mixing and matching companies. Captain America fighting Prometheus. Batman fighting Batroc. Amazing Man fighting Absorbing Man.

Then there's one Marvel vs. Marvel panel thrown in there of Sandman beating the poo poo out of Scorpion :unsmith:

I like the panel where Mar-Vell is punching out Black Adam while Billy Batson is punching out Ronan the Accuser, while Dr Light is saying, "Watch out, Captain Marvel!"

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Wheat Loaf posted:

I like the panel where Mar-Vell is punching out Black Adam while Billy Batson is punching out Ronan the Accuser, while Dr Light is saying, "Watch out, Captain Marvel!"

And they both say "thanks", because they're polite people. :3:

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
My favourite part of JLA/Avengers is that tragic love story between Kismet and Eternity. :shobon:

Alvarez IV
Aug 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
There's a Superman story that I can't quite remember the name of, and I can't nail it down because every search term I try leads someplace else. It involves Mr. Mxyzptlk bringing a space shuttle into a space beyond the 5th dimension that not even Superman can safely penetrate, so he spends until the heat death of the universe studying the mysteries of 5th-and-beyond dimension stuff just to rescue the one guy aboard. I remember a scene where Superman visits the last god as he's dying, and then it turns out that Superman has grown so powerful in the interim that he's split off into an army of himself that he, the original, can control remotely. I'm sure one of you knows this but it's been bugging me for a week.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Alvarez IV posted:

There's a Superman story that I can't quite remember the name of, and I can't nail it down because every search term I try leads someplace else. It involves Mr. Mxyzptlk bringing a space shuttle into a space beyond the 5th dimension that not even Superman can safely penetrate, so he spends until the heat death of the universe studying the mysteries of 5th-and-beyond dimension stuff just to rescue the one guy aboard. I remember a scene where Superman visits the last god as he's dying, and then it turns out that Superman has grown so powerful in the interim that he's split off into an army of himself that he, the original, can control remotely. I'm sure one of you knows this but it's been bugging me for a week.

That's "Strange Visitor" by Joe Keatinge and a bunch of artists, from The Adventures of Superman v2, issues 46 through 48 in the digital format, collected here.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Wildstorm was KILLING IT in the early 2000s. They had Warren Ellis' Stormwatch leading into Authority, plus his brilliant Planetary. They had Joe Casey writing a stunning, underrated, underappreciated run of Wildcats based on plot threads set up by Alan Moore during his mid-'90s run. And they had Ed Brubaker redefining noir and espionage comics and still making them fit into a world of superheroes and supervillains with Point Blank and Sleeper, also inspired by Alan Moore's WildC.A.T.s. What an era of comics. Of course it couldn't last, but those were all such quality titles. And that doesn't even go into Moore's simultaneous work on America's Best Comics at Wildstorm.

Sleeper is one of my favorite comics ever.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I've been enjoying Rachel & Miles X-plain the X-Men and Comic Conspiracy are there any podcasts out there that people would recommend that deal with other Marvel or DC titles?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Ultragonk posted:

I've been enjoying Rachel Jay & Miles X-plain the X-Men and Comic Conspiracy are there any podcasts out there that people would recommend that deal with other Marvel or DC titles?

X-plain the X-men had a big crossover with a bunch of their friends' podcasts which would be a decent look listen to if you want to sample a bunch. Bleeding Cool had a good run down.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/10/28/the-first-comics-podcast-mega-crossover-begins-tomorrow-with-the-fan-bros-show/#!

The only one that sounded most like what Jay and Miles do was Journey into Mystery where someone explains comics to a newbie.
https://jimpodcast.com/journey-into-misery/

The rest are mostly regular review and interview shows.

The only other one I really listen to is War Rocket Ajax, but solely for the monthly Every Story Ever specials and the occasionally interview that piques my interest.

EDIT: I've heard of another podcast that explains a different series, but I can't remember what that was and am having trouble searching for it.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jun 13, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Journey into Misery is very close thematically to Jay and Miles, and the male host of it makes an explicit point of not covering x-men characters or storylines so he doesn't chomp on their style.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Yeah I recently got to the X-plain the X-men episode of Secret Convergence on Infinite Podcasts and I'm going through the rest now. Journey Into Misery seems interesting I guess it'll be a good idea just to go through them all and see what I like.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The longest/most convoluted/worst characters and events (Grant Morrison Batman, The Flash, Hickman's run from Fantastic Four to Secret Wars, Identity Crisis, Hawkman) are the best episodes. Anything that makes Helena freak out or react super confusedly because dumb as gently caress comics bullshit is the best.

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity
If you care about the Fantastic Four I can recommend Baxter Building by Jeff Lester and Graeme McMillan. They read a dozen issues of Fantastic Four every month starting from #1 and talk about them. Not as polished and concise as J&M, but quite entertaining.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Grey Area posted:

If you care about the Fantastic Four I can recommend Baxter Building by Jeff Lester and Graeme McMillan. They read a dozen issues of Fantastic Four every month starting from #1 and talk about them. Not as polished and concise as J&M, but quite entertaining.

Do they have something resembling a formula? I generally like what they have to say but Wait, What?! kept going onto half-hour diversions about their local waffle hut that just lost me.

My favorite comics podcast is House to Astonish with Paul O'Brien and Al Kennedy, though they're more a news 'n review sort of show, Paul O'Brien's X-Axis blog reviews (that dated back to rec.arts.comics.marvel.xbooks) were a big inspiration behind JAMXTX. If nothing else, if you listen to one comics podcast ever, make it House to Astonish's Handbook Tapes episode, which is a world wonder of comics nerddom.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Grey Area posted:

I enjoy the Fantasticast, who do something similar. I discovered them via a reference in the Jay & Miles episode covering X-Men v Fantastic Four.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Ghostlight posted:

In todays issue the role of the Beast will be played by Mathew Mcconaughey.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

That's what I love about time displaced X-Men, man. I get older, they stay the same age.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ghostlight posted:

That's what I love about time displaced X-Men, man. I get older, they stay the same age.

:perfect:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I'm happy to see people recommending Journey into Misery. Kieran and Helena are genuinely good folks.

Fun fact: they make a trip to the US once a year explicitly to watch a three-day indie wrestling show. And they're right to do so because King of Trios is the poo poo and they get to hang out with me.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Oh jeez they associate themselves with a goon?

Willingly?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Toxxupation posted:

Oh jeez they associate themselves with a goon?

Willingly?

Kieran and Helena's shameful secret

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pat Mustard
Mar 9, 2013
Are the six issues of Captain America Reborn the end of the Brubaker/Captain America stuff or is there more?