Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Sivek posted:

So, there's going to a Berserk Musou and it's confirmed for pc. I'd link the trailer but it looks like it was meant for a cgi tentacle hentai.

will probably be the first musou-style game I'll buy and I can't think of a series that's a better fit for a gamestyle that consists of one guy killing a bunch of stuff.

My friend, let me tell you about a guy called Lu Bu...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

No one dies in Musou games outside of cutscenes, they're just "KO"ed.

The last time they did actually violent ones was the Fist of the North Star games and those didn't turn out so hot. Berzerk Musou is going to be weird.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

skull knight better be playable god drat it

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Maybe they'll write a better story since the manga became real weird.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
The last stage of Berserk Musou is just an Idle clicker game of Guts on a boat.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

I miss the space u.s. marshal

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Why did the alien bounty hunter Prey never came out, anyway?

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Xander77 posted:

It was too rad

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Xander77 posted:

I have a feeling that the original Prey 2 was one of those things where the studio comes up with a great concept, but wasn't able to make it into a fun game.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

The Prey Reboot looks so bad.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It looks like a pretty good half life though, headcrabs everywhere

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

GreenBuckanneer posted:

The Prey Reboot looks so bad.

it actually looks pretty cool

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
The Prey reboot looks bad

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I wanna go in to work on monday morning 2032

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

It looks good, but it's really more of a system shock successor than a Prey reboot.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Chris Avellone is working on the Prey reboot so i am instantly more interested

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Bethesda's remaking Skyrim.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Shima Honnou posted:

PC users get it as a free upgrade, which is smart.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Doctor Spaceman posted:

If they have the legendary edition or all the DLC, which still goes for new "big time publisher" game dollars.

The old version will probably leave the Steam Store when it gets close to the remake's release date.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Skyrim Legendary has been $10 in the past few Steam sales too.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Prey reboot being nothing like Prey would make it a major improvement.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I hope by 'free upgrade' you mean 'free separate download' because gently caress that if that breaks mods (it will break mods)

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Morter posted:

I hope by 'free upgrade' you mean 'free separate download' because gently caress that if that breaks mods (it will break mods)

If the modder doesn't care about their mods anymore, why should you?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
drat I played the new Doom demo they just released for E3 and its some real good poo poo. It's neat how just freaking mobile you are, like I was getting used to the fact that Doomguy's jump is actually really good for the whole demo. Might have to buy it soon.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Underwhelmed posted:

Item drop rates depend on not getting hit. So yeah, as soon as the game starts to push your poo poo in, the loot and items will start to dry up thus acelerating the downward spiral.

What the gently caress

I should stop being surprised at how terrible all roguelites* sound.

*roguelikes?

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jun 13, 2016

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

It's 11pm here in Los Angeles, so this one's still technically on time! Seems like a good time to post the most obvious one on my list.

1. Banished
2. StarTopia
3. Imperium Romanum Gold Edition
4. Port Royale 2
5. 1849
6. Cities in Motion
7. AdvertCity
8. Anno 2070
9. Big Pharma
10. Tropico Reloaded
11. The Settlers 7: Paths to a Kingdom

12. SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition

The simulation genre wouldn't be what it is without the venerable SimCity series. Since 1989, the many entries in the line have allowed people to become virtual mayors and design cities of just about any shape and size, limited only by the contents of the game itself. They've come a long way from the original and branched out in many different ways across platforms, and not every instalment has been a success. SimCity 4 is often described as the last great SimCity, and with that and my own remembered fondness for it I decided to see how it's held up over the last 13 years.

Honestly I find it a little difficult to describe the nature of SimCity, because it is such an elemental part of the genre. You lay down roads, outline zones for development of homes and businesses, build power plants and fire stations, balance your taxes against your utility expenditures, and grow your little town as large as it will go. These are all core concepts pioneered by the series, but 4 presents them with greater refinement. Each individual service building like police stations and hospitals can have their funding adjusted to meet local demand, so you can build expensive services and then scale them back to what you can afford until you need more. Zone density can also be scaled up or down without destroying existing buildings, allowing them to grow or shrink as needed.

It's one of the purest and accessible presentations of the city-building formula out there, with no production chains or unlockables to concern yourself with. You build what you want, where you want, with the only limitations being space and money. SimCity 4 is far more generous than its predecessors with the latter, allowing you to start with enough money to cover most of a map right from the outset. And with control of individual building funding, it's a simple task to keep your budget in the green. The maps remain plenty large enough for bustling metropolises, but they're also connected by regions, allowing you to get a grand overview of your cities, granting your people the option of commuting to other areas, and creating massive metro areas with interconnected cities and neighborhoods.

The end result is a robust and expansive city-builder limited only by its age. SimCity 4 is still a 2D game, despite some voxel trickery to make it look deeper and more dynamic than it is. You're laying everything out on a grid, which makes building at anything other than right angles either cumbersome in the case of roads and rails, or impossible in the case of buildings. The terrain is deformable and conforms to your constructions to a point, but if your landscape is very hilly at all you'll end up with houses built on soaring foundations larger than the dwelling itself, and beaches and piers plunging off of your coastlines into the deep. The detailed pixel art of the buildings is impressive, and each is rendered from four directions so you can rotate the camera, but they look chunky at max zoom and indistinct at a distance.

Despite these shortcomings, SimCity 4 remains one of the finest city-builders you can lose yourself in. The steady pace of construction matched with the enormous variety of buildings and services to work towards means you can spend hours crafting a single city without having to wait for long periods or growing bored. The data displays show you everything you need to understand how your city operates, from pollution and traffic overlays to the actual routes your citizens take daily. There are even optional driving missions you can take in your own city and Sims you can move in to get more personal feedback. It might not be the prettiest or slickest offering anymore, but SimCity 4 has stood the test of time and remains one of the most addictive and comprehensive city-builders on the market.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Morter posted:

Just buy new ones.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Slime TrainerS

chrisoya posted:

Just buy new ones.

No. No. No. Please, no, Bethesda.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Now the endless, near-identical in look Draugr dungeons look better than ever!

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Jamfrost posted:

They're adding mod support for the console versions. It's happening.

Mr. Podunkian
Feb 28, 2005

welcome to murder city, i'm the mayor

The Lone Badger posted:

Is Wasted any good? Seems to be a Borderlands parody.

I was going more for Fallout meets Spelunky or Eldritch. Borderlands never really factored into it at all besides maybe the aesthetic and occasionally my writing is bad ???

A lot of people seem to have played like a run or two, got wiped by the Spelunky Ghost analogue and then just gave up instead of trying to learn how to play the game, but there's a lot more to the game than it originally lets on. It's definitely not as shootymansy as the other poster said either -- a big part of the game is manipulating the AI and either sneaking past it, getting it to infight with other enemies, or to lead them into traps. Of course, there's also just shooting stuff too. There's definitely an uphill battle when you're first starting off, since I didn't tutorialize the game properly (and even more because you really have to get out of the mindset that you're playing Fallout 3/4 where you can just explore everything at a leisurely pace), but once you get the mechanics, I think there's a lot of fun to be had.

I know I'm biased, since it's my own game, but I mean, Steam refunds are a thing now, so if you're even on the fence about it, there are worst ways to spend an hour or two than to give the game a shot. Even after a year and a half of straight dev, I still pick it up and play the game myself and nearly every session I play, there's some weirdo chain of events death that makes me laugh out loud.

EDIT: Total Biscuit did a fairly balanced review of the game, which you can watch if you want a better idea of how it plays. It's very hard (as you can tell from watching the video) and he gets a few facts wrong, but generally I think the points he brings up are valid, and I'll be working on addressing them in the upcoming versions of the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sak6K3oRpYk

Mr. Podunkian fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jun 13, 2016

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

The Steam version's going to be a port of the Vita version, isn't it? Tecmo would do that, wouldn't they?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

A good poster posted:

The Steam version's going to be a port of the Vita version, isn't it? Tecmo would do that, wouldn't they?

Haha, no. It'll be the PS3 version and run at 20FPS on a Titan.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

kirbysuperstar posted:

Haha, no. It'll be the PS3 version and run at 20FPS on a Titan.

Eh, the port of Dragon Quest Heroes was pretty good.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

sarmhan posted:

It looks good, but it's really more of a system shock successor than a Prey reboot.

Yeah they tried that with Bioshock, it was bad

I played a bit of Bioshock, never finished, then played and finished System Shock 2, then went back and finished Bioshock 1/2/infinite. System Shock 2 was an immensely better game.

That wasn't nostalgia either, as I had never played any of them. Then I played all of them in a reasonable period of time, a few years ago. I generally dislike old games and SS2 was still better.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Mr. Podunkian posted:

I was going more for Fallout meets Spelunky or Eldritch. Borderlands never really factored into it at all besides maybe the aesthetic and occasionally my writing is bad ???

A lot of people seem to have played like a run or two, got wiped by the Spelunky Ghost analogue and then just gave up instead of trying to learn how to play the game, but there's a lot more to the game than it originally lets on. It's definitely not as shootymansy as the other poster said either -- a big part of the game is manipulating the AI and either sneaking past it, getting it to infight with other enemies, or to lead them into traps. Of course, there's also just shooting stuff too. There's definitely an uphill battle when you're first starting off, since I didn't tutorialize the game properly (and even more because you really have to get out of the mindset that you're playing Fallout 3/4 where you can just explore everything at a leisurely pace), but once you get the mechanics, I think there's a lot of fun to be had.

I know I'm biased, since it's my own game, but I mean, Steam refunds are a thing now, so if you're even on the fence about it, there are worst ways to spend an hour or two than to give the game a shot. Even after a year and a half of straight dev, I still pick it up and play the game myself and nearly every session I play, there's some weirdo chain of events death that makes me laugh out loud.

EDIT: Total Biscuit did a fairly balanced review of the game, which you can watch if you want a better idea of how it plays. It's very hard (as you can tell from watching the video) and he gets a few facts wrong, but generally I think the points he brings up are valid, and I'll be working on addressing them in the upcoming versions of the game.

I like the game myself, but is not being able to get more than one stack of an item intended? If I get a full stack of 5 mutt guts, I kinda want to be able to get as many stacks of 5 that I can get.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Shima Honnou posted:

I can't wait to see a game remade in the same outdated engine so that instead of looking like it's 5 years old it will be 2-3 like Fallout 4.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Slime TrainerS

Palpek posted:

I can't wait to see a game remade in the same outdated engine so that instead of looking like it's 5 years old it will be 2-3 like Fallout 4.

It's the engine that keeps on giving.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Jamfrost posted:

Short of waiting for an entirely new game, it's their best opportunity. They'll have a community of modders anxious to quickly port their mods over to the new version and get some of that sweet, sweet boobcrab money, and people complaining about paid mods will be drowned out by cries of, "but you're getting a whole new remastered edition for free!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemonpieman
Jan 18, 2010

Mr. Podunkian posted:

Your game is extremely good

• Locked thread