Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Len posted:

Didn't FF11 have personal shops? Like you flag things in your inventory and sit around and people could buy them?

I did when I played something like 13 years ago. Dunno if that's still the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

I haven't played FFXI since it first came out, and I played it for a week before deciding it was godawful. I had no idea it still had existing servers and maintenance but good god :gonk:

My main memory was that you couldn't teleport anywhere unless you were like level 25, and it would only be to places you'd been. So you had to walk like 4 hours to explore an area, and then eventually you'd be able to beg someone of a higher level to please teleport you there.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I remember my friend grouping with me until we got to the Vulkurn Dunes then disbanding the party and leaving me there to find a power level group.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

SgtScruffy posted:

I haven't played FFXI since it first came out, and I played it for a week before deciding it was godawful. I had no idea it still had existing servers and maintenance but good god :gonk:

My main memory was that you couldn't teleport anywhere unless you were like level 25, and it would only be to places you'd been. So you had to walk like 4 hours to explore an area, and then eventually you'd be able to beg someone of a higher level to please teleport you there.

Every single thing about the game sounds like it was made out of hatred and anger for the player. It just sounds like a miserable, joyless experience. Especially the part where they had a boss people fought so long that they started passing out and had to stop for health reasons. Or the one they kept patching to remove the ways people used to beat it.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
wasn't there that one unkillable boss that people raided for days and almost passed out from exhaustion?

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
About 18 hours, so not days but still pretty loving brutal. That was back in 08, I'm betting they've casualised the game since then like most other MMOs existing that long.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
FFXI existed in the weird pre-WoW era of MMOs where being punishing was seen as a badge of honor and the fanbase was against making it more accessible.

Now it's a lot different and much more accessible. It's lasted this long for a reason.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Cleretic posted:

Dark Souls 3 has a lot of enemies weak to lightning and fire. It's not always obvious which ones, but there's a fair share of them, as are things weak to dark.

Where the gently caress are literally any major enemies that are weak to magic? I'm most of the way through the game at this point, and while I can count at least four bosses that are explicitly resistant to magic, as well as several areas entirely staffed by enemies that take magic hits loving champs, I have found a total of two enemies that are weak to magic. I don't even mean 'two types of enemy', either, I mean across the 75%-ish of the game I've gone through the only things I've found that are weak to magic are two giants in a small courtyard in the Boreal Valley. And quite frankly it takes some monumental stupidity to wake those two up more than once in the first place.

Not a single boss, not a single relatively major enemy type, is weak to magic. But I'd say drat near half of the big, non-optional ones resist it.

I actually felt like most of the game was pretty kind to sorcerers. There are a couple of bosses that are definitely harder with magic, but for the most part it's not very hard ones (oceiros and twin princes are probably the toughest, while who cares if the pope union resists magic). You can get through pretty much the whole rest of the game by just shooting soul arrows and soul spears at stuff, and it makes the hardest bosses in the game like champ gundam and nameless king a whole lot easier. You can get to the second stage of nameless king in 4 spellcasts, and kill gundam and the dancer in maybe 8.

The problem is that it has a really slow start and that you have to build completely around it. If you aren't wearing the sage's ring and both sorcery-boosting rings you're in trouble, and you really want to push for 60 intelligence with a lot of attunement (I ended up at 40 just so I could have 6 spell slots).

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Digirat posted:

I actually felt like most of the game was pretty kind to sorcerers. There are a couple of bosses that are definitely harder with magic, but for the most part it's not very hard ones (oceiros and twin princes are probably the toughest, while who cares if the pope union resists magic). You can get through pretty much the whole rest of the game by just shooting soul arrows and soul spears at stuff, and it makes the hardest bosses in the game like champ gundam and nameless king a whole lot easier. You can get to the second stage of nameless king in 4 spellcasts, and kill gundam and the dancer in maybe 8.

The problem is that it has a really slow start and that you have to build completely around it. If you aren't wearing the sage's ring and both sorcery-boosting rings you're in trouble, and you really want to push for 60 intelligence with a lot of attunement (I ended up at 40 just so I could have 6 spell slots).

You forgot Aldrich, who's hard as nails if your only reliable type of damage is magic; I'd also disagree on the Dancer, who in my experience was a terrifying flurry of attacks that could one-shot me so it didn't really matter if she was relatively flimsy, since it was dangerous to stop and shoot. The Deacons aren't actually terribly magic-resistant, but they can be a teething issue for a spellcaster because of how many targets you've got to sift through; that's the point where, if you haven't already, you realize you need to invest in a melee weapon. I can speak for neither of those bosses you mentioned as being easy, because I'm currently up to exactly those two bosses you fingered as being toughest; personally, I disagree on the Twin Princes, they're just the manageable parts of the really tough Aldrich and Dancer mashed together, but it's true I haven't managed to beat them yet. I'm putting the blame on being for some reason unable to summon decent help.

This is still my first playthrough, so I'm not sure how much I can say the game is 'kind' to sorcerors because I only have the reference point of a playthrough that took a week to beat Aldrich and who has to just give up hounding whatever Oceiros is protecting. All I can comment on is what I can see, and I can see the damage type sorcerors are forced to build around being utter garbage compared to any other damage type available. Basically half the game being resistant to your entire arsenal isn't really a fun challenge to encounter.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
ive been told vow of silence works for most bosses

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Stuntman posted:

About 18 hours, so not days but still pretty loving brutal. That was back in 08, I'm betting they've casualised the game since then like most other MMOs existing that long.

My worst fight was a yumcax right after being implemented. Took a little over 72 hours.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Len posted:

Didn't FF11 have personal shops? Like you flag things in your inventory and sit around and people could buy them?

Yes, and no AFK timer.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Cleretic posted:

You forgot Aldrich, who's hard as nails if your only reliable type of damage is magic; I'd also disagree on the Dancer, who in my experience was a terrifying flurry of attacks that could one-shot me so it didn't really matter if she was relatively flimsy, since it was dangerous to stop and shoot. The Deacons aren't actually terribly magic-resistant, but they can be a teething issue for a spellcaster because of how many targets you've got to sift through; that's the point where, if you haven't already, you realize you need to invest in a melee weapon. I can speak for neither of those bosses you mentioned as being easy, because I'm currently up to exactly those two bosses you fingered as being toughest; personally, I disagree on the Twin Princes, they're just the manageable parts of the really tough Aldrich and Dancer mashed together, but it's true I haven't managed to beat them yet. I'm putting the blame on being for some reason unable to summon decent help.

This is still my first playthrough, so I'm not sure how much I can say the game is 'kind' to sorcerors because I only have the reference point of a playthrough that took a week to beat Aldrich and who has to just give up hounding whatever Oceiros is protecting. All I can comment on is what I can see, and I can see the damage type sorcerors are forced to build around being utter garbage compared to any other damage type available. Basically half the game being resistant to your entire arsenal isn't really a fun challenge to encounter.

I recently did the Deacons on a Sorcerer with Farron Greatsword. Wide and sweeping enough to just mow down fools. My sorc was fixed at SL50, so I had to allot most of my Estus to FP, but they went down pretty quick just spamming FGS. spam spam spam spam spam drink

I am currently stuck on the Dancer, so I am with you there. I am blaming that on poor summons as well since "keep the boss off the host" is like SummonBro 101. I need to learn that fight a lot better anyway.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Inco posted:

The mission where you have to defend Code Talker after the chopper crashes can suck a warehouse full of dicks. gently caress being surrounded and infinitely stunlocked by two metre tall armour-plated sacks of complete bullshit and their cadre of shitass zombie fuckbuddies. Those teleporting cockbags don't even need to hit you with their machetes as they appear right behind you, they can just throw poo poo at you from wherever.

Th only way I managed to beat that fight was to run right up in there faces to bait them into trying their machetes and using the CQC counterattack over and over again.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

Pneub posted:

Th only way I managed to beat that fight was to run right up in there faces to bait them into trying their machetes and using the CQC counterattack over and over again.

I just deployed with D-Walker and minigunned them to death.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Yeah the walker minigun shreds them in an instant. Probably sucks if you've neglected it and don't have the upgrading cash handy.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Inco posted:

The mission where you have to defend Code Talker after the chopper crashes can suck a warehouse full of dicks. gently caress being surrounded and infinitely stunlocked by two metre tall armour-plated sacks of complete bullshit and their cadre of shitass zombie fuckbuddies. Those teleporting cockbags don't even need to hit you with their machetes as they appear right behind you, they can just throw poo poo at you from wherever.

Also, while the core gameplay is mostly really good, and I like it a lot, pretty much everything that has to do with Mother Base is boring as hell.

I called a poo poo tonne of tanks in and just kept killing them with tank shots.

Took 4 tries though; they were rough.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Take Quiet with you and equip her with the best lethal rifle (sinful butterfly?). Run north to those two-story buildings and go into one of the upper rooms. Wait about five minutes and she kills everyone.

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

frodnonnag posted:

My worst fight was a yumcax right after being implemented. Took a little over 72 hours.

Jesus; was your group raiding in shifts or something, or posted up for 72 hours straight for the most part?

My longest raid had to be 12ish hours on the Shadow Shard task forces on City of Heroes, but at least on those they were broken down into missions so you could take lengthy breaks in between.

Wintermutant has a new favorite as of 17:30 on Jun 13, 2016

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Dark Souls 3 is definitely not kind to sorcerers, or really dedicated spellcasters of any kind. From decided they didn't really like pure caster characters. You can do an okay job getting through the game using Great Heavy Soul Arrow, or Great Chaos Fire Orb, but they're ordinary spells, you get them early on, and they never change. You have to fully, entirely devote every aspect of your character to improving the damage of those spells just to make them viable in the late game, including taking 60 Intelligence as soon as possible. Also spellcasting is slow as poo poo and enemies are incredibly fast and aggressive in DS3 relative to earlier games, so you have to be extremely careful about your timing and spacing when you begin to cast or else you're going to get bopped.

If you want to beat the game with a sword, you do not have to become the living embodiment of Dark Sword in order to get through the game, you can do so with middling stat investment, you have a huge arsenal of swords and sword-like weapons to choose from that are all viable, and have loads of stat leftovers for whatever the gently caress you wanna do, including mild investment in Intelligence/Faith for utility spellcasting if that's your flavor. You can get through the game as a pure caster, but it's absolutely not easy, you need a lot of foreknowledge on where important items and spells are just to make it work, and you're shoehorned into one very specific playstyle.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

An annoying thing about Dying Light is that for some reason they put the grappling hook as an optional upgrade instead of a story one so the game can never assume that you actually have it. Also there are moments where the game doesn't want to let you use it so at various points in the story it just goes "you're too tired to use it." Also the way the various XP works doesn't scale very well when it comes to the Agility tree because you get a lot more XP as the game progresses for stuff like Survivor and Combat but Agility is still just 10-20 for running around.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Wintermutant posted:

Jesus; was your group raiding in shifts or something, or posted up for 72 hours straight for the most part?

Nah. The way it works is a bit weird, the event is large scale and unorganized. All you need is the key item to enter the arena and there is no time limit. Most players were not level 119 then and trusts (npc party buddies) didnt exist. I basically entered solo and participated off and on when there were enough players to keep the boss and all the trash occupied, standing in a corner away when the waves during prime times gave up.

As for why this particular one took so long, its specific to that monster. All the wildskeeper rieves bosses had a gimmick that after a set time or % of their health, they would go into an aura mode and give themselves an undispellable buff and unlocking a harsher ability to use. In Yumcax's case it was a potent health regen and an area of effect doomga ability, a 10 second timer that counts down to your death. It was a repetitive cycle of beating him down by like 5-10% over a few hours, him going into aura mode and murdering everyone (30+ people) and then regening to full.

The only way to get a reward for participating was to be present when the boss died. If you left the arena in any way you got nothing and lost all progress toward rewards.

The fight finally ended on the third day during japanese prime time when over 80 people came into the fight and won it out of attrition.

Nowadays i can do the event in about an hour with just me and 5 trusts.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Planetside 2: When a continent is captured you cannot respawn, hell you can't even use equipment terminals. You should be allowed to do that, or at least the owners of the continent should get to have some fun wiping out the remaining enemies without fear of having to go to a new continent if they die. They should also be allowed to resupply their drat equipment or change classes while doing it.

E: I mean at that point they may as well just kill off all the players on the continent if they're going to be so restrictive. And hey, speaking of restrictive:

The construction system has some loving weird restrictions. Like you can't build on archways as the game will constantly tell you the item is too high, I assume this also means you can't build stuff on mesas and other high areas. Also the no build zone around bases extends so far out you can't use the construction system to build defenses or prepare for a siege. And finally, there are some places where existing buildings are that they randomly slap no build zones on.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

muscles like this? posted:

An annoying thing about Dying Light is that for some reason they put the grappling hook as an optional upgrade instead of a story one so the game can never assume that you actually have it. Also there are moments where the game doesn't want to let you use it so at various points in the story it just goes "you're too tired to use it."
At least the game tried to justify it by giving Crane a Plot-powered virus attack when going into the areas (And then you keep the rest of your super-high energy parkour moves :v:)
But yeah you can see reshufflings of the story in points. Like where Anti-Zombie meds were meant to be more important to the player like Dead Rising 2's Zombrex, or getting bitten was going to be a bigger thing where Crane was meant to be slowly turning into one of the Super Zombies through the plot like the zombie from that Invasion mode (Which I bet was them salvaging the parts they made for the story).

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There were multiple points where it felt like things changed. Like how there are barely any variations in guns (like how they have different rarities but there's no difference in stats,) even though there's multiple missions for a gunsmith to try and recruit him.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Can't see poo poo.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

...It took me a good few moments to realize that that wasn't a screenshot of a headlight.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Wow, Indigo Prophecy is like every terrible 00's gameplay idea rolled into one dumpster fire of poo poo. Tank controls, pointless stealth sequences, tedious 'puzzles', and let's not forget lovely QTE sequences that make up 3/4 of the actual gameplay, that go on for wayyyyy to long.

Just don't play it, watch a LP if you're really curious about the crazy nonsense story.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

grate deceiver posted:

Wow, Indigo Prophecy is like every terrible 00's gameplay idea rolled into one dumpster fire of poo poo. Tank controls, pointless stealth sequences, tedious 'puzzles', and let's not forget lovely QTE sequences that make up 3/4 of the actual gameplay, that go on for wayyyyy to long.

Just don't play it, watch a LP if you're really curious about the crazy nonsense story.

Relevant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-rLtL7mytQ

If Beyond Two Souls was David Cage's last game I'll be very sad.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

His next game was announced last year, Detroit.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Veotax posted:

His next game was announced last year, Detroit.

How did I miss this? :swoon:

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

grate deceiver posted:

indigo prophecy is art, and everyone should experience it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjJHfjFa1CI

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Action Tortoise posted:

indigo prophecy is art, and everyone should experience it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjJHfjFa1CI

No youtube at work, so I'll just assume it's the scene where you have to dodge a million chairs and cardboard boxes trying to kill you in your apartament.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

grate deceiver posted:

No youtube at work, so I'll just assume it's the scene where you have to dodge a million chairs and cardboard boxes trying to kill you in your apartament.

No, something even dumber than that.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

I'm right at the point where the story becomes a dumb Matrix copy (Lucas kungfus some cops and peaces out on a train), so I'm guessing the worst is still ahead of me.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

grate deceiver posted:

watch it when you clock out

it's peak David Cage

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Alteisen posted:

Can't see poo poo.

ahahaha that's not even the worst of it..unless you're in Riptide, then yeah it probably is

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Action Tortoise posted:

watch it when you clock out

it's peak David Cage

Lol, ok, it is peak this game. Especially since there is an actual, pointlessly long dancing sequence in it.

I still strongly advice against playing it. I'm maybe 1/3 of the way through (up to the angels part) and the endless QTEs are really grinding down my will to continue.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

grate deceiver posted:

Lol, ok, it is peak this game. Especially since there is an actual, pointlessly long dancing sequence in it.

I still strongly advice against playing it. I'm maybe 1/3 of the way through (up to the angels part) and the endless QTEs are really grinding down my will to continue.

when you beat the game you unlock this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsIG459PuM8

ganbare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

I did it.

My fave moment was when the police lady catches up to the psycho serial killer that she's been tracking for most of the game, he says "Sorry, it was magical mayans all along", and she's all "Welp, guess I'm helping you now. Also, we're loving". Somehow in all the time I've been hearing about this dumb game, no one ever mentioned low poly pixel loving. Kinda disappointed that it wasn't a qte to be honest.

Trust me on this one, buckaroos. Not worth playing even for free, just watch some nerd suffer through it on youtube or something.