Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Kibner posted:

Blame Jordan (and then Kobe) for messing up what people expect out of height and length for SGs. Only Wade has really bucked the trend to being an "undersized" superstar SG.

Ben Gordon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Undersized is fine but it's honest to say he is. It's just one thing against.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

I think 6'5 is average size for the position, it's just not good. Spectrum in NBA seems to be between 6'3 and 6'7 with a few outliers.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Kibner posted:

Blame Jordan (and then Kobe) for messing up what people expect out of height and length for SGs. Only Wade has really bucked the trend to being an "undersized" superstar SG.

Wade's got a massive wingspan which makes up for any disadvantage in height. Is that why the quotes were there ?

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Speaking of: I think Malik Beasley will have more career WS than Jamal Murray. He's so loving good.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

straight up brolic posted:

Speaking of: I think Malik Beasley will have more career WS than Jamal Murray. He's so loving good.

semi-cool beas

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

He's my No. 1 guy for Charlotte but we'll see if he lasts. Hopefully his hosed-up leg scares people away

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

R.D. Mangles posted:

semi-cool beas

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

EvanTH posted:

Wade's got a massive wingspan which makes up for any disadvantage in height. Is that why the quotes were there ?

Kinda. He's undersized in that many would describe him as so but he is a perfectly acceptable size. A bit short, but his wingspan helps make up for it.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

quote:

Brian Robb: Domantas Sabonis said he’s only going to workout for four teams total: Boston, Utah, Phoenix and Toronto.

Baby Sabonis certainly feels like an upgrade over Luis Scola.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

euphronius posted:

No they are doing due diligence which they always said they would do. The night of the draft they said they would look at a couple guys.

Plus it's I guess vaguely possible they could trade for 2 or 3.

Every local beat writer and insider has said with out qualification it's Simmons and it's not close.

Insider Bryan Colangelo seems to feel differently:

http://www.nba.com/2016/news/featur...6ers/index.html

quote:

Decide between Simmons and Ingram
"You can make an argument either way that Brandon Ingram would fit well and that Ben Simmons would fit well," Colangelo said. "That's the discussion. Those are the conversations that we're having to try to determine not just which player will ultimately have the better career and achieve a higher status, but which player is the best fit as well. It's a combination of things for us. When you look at both it's pretty hard to imagine that either one would be a wrong choice. It's a good position to be in."

But as far as having made an internal decision?
"I can't tell you that as we sit here on June 10th that a decision's been made by anybody," Colangelo said. "We may be leaning one direction or another. But it's safer to say that you don't have to make a decision until the 23rd."

My opinion is, Simmons should schedule a team workout with at least Philly.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Oh my bad I had not read the June 10th interview.

That is a change of BC has been saying . So yeah . Sorry

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Furkan Corked Bats has confirmed that he's staying in the draft. This is good because it will hopefully push some players down towards the Grizzlies pick.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Deandre Bembry's brother was murdered last night :(

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

now it's just 6'9 at every position

If watching the NBA the past 6 years has taught me anything, it's that height ultimately doesn't matter and it's all about wingspan.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Paul Zuvella posted:

If watching the NBA the past 6 years has taught me anything, it's that height ultimately doesn't matter and it's all about wingspan.
*takes a drink*

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

NickRoweFillea posted:

Furkan Corked Bats has confirmed that he's staying in the draft. This is good because it will hopefully push some players down towards the Grizzlies pick.

Do you have a source Nick? Everything I can find is going in the opposite direction.

edit: NM. Just popped up.

Redgrendel2001 fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jun 13, 2016

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I think Rodman and Barkley shoulda proved the case for Standing Reach over Height but for some reason Wingspan only became a draft-day drinking game in the last few years?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

euphronius posted:

Oh my bad I had not read the June 10th interview.

That is a change of BC has been saying . So yeah . Sorry

It's all good man you aren't reading me wrong in that I'm grasping a bit at this stuff now.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/742442243852734465

https://twitter.com/BillSimmons/status/742450314175860737

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Rick posted:

Insider Bryan Colangelo seems to feel differently:

http://www.nba.com/2016/news/featur...6ers/index.html

My opinion is, Simmons should schedule a team workout with at least Philly.

Nothing anyone officially says this close to the draft can be taken at face value. Even if they are 100% all in on Simmons as a player, there's always a chance he could pop a medical/character red flag in the next little while and they want to be able to say Ingram was their first choice all along rather than have it look like they got stuck with their second choice.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

pseudodragon posted:

Nothing anyone officially says this close to the draft can be taken at face value. Even if they are 100% all in on Simmons as a player, there's always a chance he could pop a medical/character red flag in the next little while and they want to be able to say Ingram was their first choice all along rather than have it look like they got stuck with their second choice.

Who was the last slam dunk "we're taking this guy first no matter what" pick, LeBron? I want to say there were some concerns about Rose and Davis that made people pump the brakes slightly.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Anthony Davis, Kyrie Irving, I don't think there was really ever much doubt about those guys

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

C. Everett Koop posted:

Who was the last slam dunk "we're taking this guy first no matter what" pick, LeBron? I want to say there were some concerns about Rose and Davis that made people pump the brakes slightly.
Anthony Bennett

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

C. Everett Koop posted:

Davis absolutely qualifies. Beasley was rated #1 for most of the year, really up until Chicago won the lottery and made it clear they were going with Rose. There was no question who was going #1 overall with Wall, Griffin and Oden.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Metapod, someone else reminded me of my ideal big next to Davis. It is Tyson Chandler. Not the now Chandler, but the one from when he was on the Hornets up through his time with the Knicks.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Kibner posted:

Metapod, someone else reminded me of my ideal big next to Davis. It is Tyson Chandler. Not the now Chandler, but the one from when he was on the Hornets up through his time with the Knicks.

LARRY SANDERS

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/mike-bibby-jason-williams-larry-sanders-2-million-dollar-nba-the-basketball-tournament/
He's playing this summer. He might just be coming back

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

That would be cool.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

pseudodragon posted:

I think a large part of what's being said is specifically to get Simmons to work out just so they can be sure about him.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Rick posted:

I think a large part of what's being said is specifically to get Simmons to work out just so they can be sure about him.

Could be some dick swinging thing with Colangelo v Klutch Sports.

Interviewing/working out every feasible player for a spot has other benefits; several years down the road that player could become available in a trade or as a free agent. Better to have a pre-existing data set to build off of just in case.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Speaking of workouts, looks like Embiid was involved in the non-contact part of Ingram's today, which is pretty cool.

Also, apparently Dunn is only willing to workout if it's one on one against other picks, but only Simmons, Ingram or Murray. I like the idea but he's someone who also really needs to participate in the process.

Rick fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jun 14, 2016

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Bender is coming to do workouts this week, Phoenix, Boston and Timberwolves. I guess his people were considering him pulling out of the draft once rumors had him falling out of the top 10 but it looks like they decided to go all in.

It might not actually be worth it for him to come over financially if he gets drafted below the lottery so it's an interesting risk.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Bender is definitely going in the lottery

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

like I think he's overrated, but I rather kill myself than take Henry Ellenson over him.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I think he could be interesting on the Pels. It would be nice if they fell to him, imo.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I think the thought is that several of the lottery teams haven't seen him and are worried that the teams that have are looking elsewhere. Like even now his strategy might not be great because I don't see the fit for the Celtics and Timberwolves so if the Suns are looking elsewhere, lower lottery teams are still guessing.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Rick posted:

I think the thought is that several of the lottery teams haven't seen him and are worried that the teams that have are looking elsewhere. Like even now his strategy might not be great because I don't see the fit for the Celtics and Timberwolves so if the Suns are looking elsewhere, lower lottery teams are still guessing.

what

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
The 'wolves are on the precipice of being good and I am not sure they have the minutes for someone who is going to need a lot of them to develop. Especially at SF which is probably at least his initial position.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Don't really care if Dragan drops because he won't drop to 8 and if he falls it's because one of those guards jumped him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Rick posted:

The 'wolves are on the precipice of being good and I am not sure they have the minutes for someone who is going to need a lot of them to develop. Especially at SF which is probably at least his initial position.

He is 7' 225 he's a PF. Also our bench is bad so there's plenty of places to play him.

• Locked thread