Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Solice Kirsk posted:

So you didn't grow up screaming "Let me show you something!" impersonating Fire Marshall Bill?

I did a completely cringeworthy Homie da Clown impression, myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Solice Kirsk posted:

So you didn't grow up screaming "Let me show you something!" impersonating Fire Marshall Bill?

I did but only because I was imitating the other kids on the playground. I didn't know what it was from until I was in high school.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

If anyone's curious about the snake handling aspects of Pentecostal/Holiness religion, I highly recommend the 1967 documentary The Holy Ghost People.

My neck of the woods has had a deep connection with that particular belief. Since snake handling religious folk refuse medical treatment for any bites, there aren't any reliable statistics for deaths, but there have been at least five documented in the area in a 50-year timespan.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I grew up in family that is Pentecostal and it's as insane as you think. Imagine seeing a 55 year old gray haired woman speaking in tongues and then running as fast as she can around the church.

There's actually a Pentecostal campground in middle Louisiana that during the summer the family would go to for huge revivals etc.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
"I say unto thee, hire some creeps to kidnap your kids and torture them."

I must've skipped Bible study the day they covered that. Amazing how much behavior by Christians is so blatantly un-Christlike.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Last Chance posted:

drat I think I've got emotional whiplash from reading this little story

It really was quite sad. I met him when I was 24 and he was 21. We only dated for a few months but I fell deeply in love with him and now, thirteen years later, I'm not totally over him. He had severe depression and was an alcoholic, but was actively trying to recover. Some years after we split, he got engaged, and eventually the engagement ended. Maybe a few months after that, a mutual friend told me he had died in his sleep after undergoing reconstructive surgery from an accident. He'd always told me he didn't expect to live to see 30, and he was 30 when he died. My guess was he mixed pain meds with alcohol either intentionally or accidentally, but I can't confirm that. So I guess his story does belong in the thread.

He was a beautiful person and the world is worse off without him in it. :(

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Hollismason posted:

I grew up in family that is Pentecostal and it's as insane as you think. Imagine seeing a 55 year old gray haired woman speaking in tongues and then running as fast as she can around the church.

There's actually a Pentecostal campground in middle Louisiana that during the summer the family would go to for huge revivals etc.
Speaking in tongues is always the wierdst "miracle" of these guys to me, because is the polar opposite of what they're trying to emulate. When Jesus or the Apostle spoke in tongues everyone understood them in their own language. This instead is speaking in a nonsense language that no one can understand.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Yea I was baptised when I was 6 or 7 years old and remember it quite clearly that I was speaking in tongues. It was loving weird.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
The proper way to speak in tongues Mildly NWS

Saved is a pretty fun movie that takes place in a Christian Charismatic School. Though it's a very mild one. The gay kid does get sent off to a stricter school about a 1/3 of the way in.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Thanks for the sad, disturbing, inspiring and sad again story... If you wrote that as a fictional short story, no one would believe it.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

pookel posted:

I'm from Oklahoma and this is legit. I'm even from Norman, probably the most liberal town in the state,

Same :hfive:

I love my hosed up fundamentalist hell-hole!

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Dreddout posted:

Same :hfive:

I love my hosed up fundamentalist hell-hole!
Do we know each other? :tinfoil:

I was class of '94, my brother was '92.

joxxuh
May 20, 2011
There was a relatively unnerving case of suicide posted on the BBC website earlier this week. An old guy travelled to a mountain at the Peak District and poisoned himself. Nothing to identify him was found on his body. For some reason he also chose to use strychnine to kill himself, widely considered among the most painful poisons out there.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-e8c6cbab-da44-4a3c-8f9b-c4fccd53dd24

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

joxxuh posted:

There was a relatively unnerving case of suicide posted on the BBC website earlier this week. An old guy travelled to a mountain at the Peak District and poisoned himself. Nothing to identify him was found on his body. For some reason he also chose to use strychnine to kill himself, widely considered among the most painful poisons out there.

Probably posted in this thread before but the most unnerving suicide I read about was suicide by tree
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/4264282.stm

He had a long time to think about it. Shudder to think of being so mentally unbalanced you'd choose to go that way.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
These teen work camps are all fun and games until they accidentally end up putting a werewolf in a steel box for 2 days, then poo poo gets really real.
:(Wolf :(

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Your Gay Uncle posted:

These teen work camps are all fun and games until they accidentally end up putting a werewolf in a steel box for 2 days, then poo poo gets really real.
:(Wolf :(

it's all right though, you get to ride a train while firing a machine gun at people

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

RC and Moon Pie posted:

If anyone's curious about the snake handling aspects of Pentecostal/Holiness religion, I highly recommend the 1967 documentary The Holy Ghost People.

On a similar note I recommend "Marjoe", about former Pentecostal preacher Marjoe Gortner. He was ordained at 4 and did the whole traveling revival child preacher thing until he was about 16, when his dad ran off with all the money and he turned into a hippie. In his 20s he resumed preaching as a non believer solely as a means of income. The film covers his last year of touring before he retired (again).

Wikipedia posted:

Eventually, Gortner suffered a crisis of conscience and decided to give up the revival circuit. He offered the documentary film crew unrestricted access to him during his final revival tour, which took place in 1971. The film contains scenes from revival meetings showing Gortner preaching and praying for people in Los Angeles, Fort Worth, Detroit and Anaheim. This is interspersed with footage of Gortner admitting on camera that he was a non-believer and revealing the tactics used by him and other evangelists to manipulate people and move them during revivals. He said he studied Mick Jagger of the Rolling Stones.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

joxxuh posted:

Bit :tinfoil: but why did he buy return tickets? Seems a bit odd.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

Probably some upselling on the part of the station staff who sold him the ticket since it was only £1 more, and he was too polite/distracted to say otherwise.

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

8 Ball posted:

Probably some upselling on the part of the station staff who sold him the ticket since it was only £1 more, and he was too polite/distracted to say otherwise.

it's not like he was going to do anything else with that pound and this way the nice person at the window is a little bit closer to their quota for the month

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I was thinking that it’s like that time when I went to the post office to buy stamps for the express purpose of mailing post cards. I neglected to specify the cheaper post card stamps, but whatever, the difference is pennies.

It’s not like the man needed the money. I imagine it was a mistake he couldn’t be arsed to correct.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

joxxuh posted:

Man he probably did some poo poo he felt he deserved to suffer for :(

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The Mentalizer posted:

On a similar note I recommend "Marjoe", about former Pentecostal preacher Marjoe Gortner. He was ordained at 4 and did the whole traveling revival child preacher thing until he was about 16, when his dad ran off with all the money and he turned into a hippie. In his 20s he resumed preaching as a non believer solely as a means of income. The film covers his last year of touring before he retired (again).

Marjoe was a fascinating dude. He's the star of the Roger Corman gems Food of the Gods and Starcrash.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

He might have wanted to be prepared in case he couldn't go through with it. Or he may not have wanted to make people wonder why he was traveling 200 miles with no luggage or plans to return.

wootsie
Feb 27, 2013

Jedit posted:

He might have wanted to be prepared in case he couldn't go through with it. Or he may not have wanted to make people wonder why he was traveling 200 miles with no luggage or plans to return.

Yeah, apparently it was only $1 extra for the return ticket so I'm thinking he did it for exactly those reasons.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
PATULOUS ANUS: ITS CLINICAL SIGNIFICANCE

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

pookel posted:

Do we know each other? :tinfoil:

I was class of '94, my brother was '92.

Nah man, you were a full generation before me.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Post Your Favorite (or Request) > PYF unnerving article or story: PATULOUS ANUS: ITS CLINICAL SIGNIFICANCE

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe

I started reading this and was like "what's the big deal? It's... oh. OH." That poor kid.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Telemaze posted:

I started reading this and was like "what's the big deal? It's... oh. OH." That poor kid.

2/10 no ring.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Patulous Anus was my favorite Mad Max character.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Telemaze posted:

The really hosed up part is that a kid that got raped was referred to as having "acted the part of a passive pederast" :psyduck:

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
If you're gonna poison your husband for the life insurance money and attempt to pin it on your daughter when people start getting suspicious, you probably should know what the product is actually called first.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stacey_Castor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSIJ5y0jSFw

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
And now she's dead.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Celery Face posted:

If you're gonna poison your husband for the life insurance money and attempt to pin it on your daughter when people start getting suspicious, you probably should know what the product is actually called first.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stacey_Castor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSIJ5y0jSFw

Antifree antifree antifree antifree antifree. How do you say/write it so many times and never realize it's incorrect. What a dumb thing to mess up in your murder/frame job attempt.

Also, she died literally two days ago. Weird. Is the news report on that how you heard about the case?

FourLeaf has a new favorite as of 01:59 on Jun 14, 2016

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

FourLeaf posted:

Antifree antifree antifree antifree antifree.

hodor

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

My Orpheus game tonight involves the unsolved Villisca, Iowa axe murders: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Villisca_axe_murders

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

FourLeaf posted:

Also, she died literally two days ago. Weird. Is the news report on that how you heard about the case?
I've known about it for a while. Just decided to post the article after hearing she had died.

In the late 90's, a grandmother and her 6 year old granddaughter were raped and savagely beaten in their home. The granddaughter survived with no memory of the attack but said that the guy who did it "looked like her Uncle Clarence." Uncle Clarence gets convicted. Case closed. When the kid later recants her statement and nothing is done about it, the uncle's wife ends up taking matters into her own hands.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarence_Elkins
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgEDz2Yw-zY

I saw the Forensic Files episode about this without knowing anything about the case. It got pretty insane.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Celery Face posted:

I've known about it for a while. Just decided to post the article after hearing she had died.

In the late 90's, a grandmother and her 6 year old granddaughter were raped and savagely beaten in their home. The granddaughter survived with no memory of the attack but said that the guy who did it "looked like her Uncle Clarence." Uncle Clarence gets convicted. Case closed. When the kid later recants her statement and nothing is done about it, the uncle's wife ends up taking matters into her own hands.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarence_Elkins
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgEDz2Yw-zY

I saw the Forensic Files episode about this without knowing anything about the case. It got pretty insane.

Jesus loving Christ.

quote:

Brooke later voiced doubts about her identification, claiming that in her initial statement when she said "He looked like uncle Clarence", she simply meant that he reminded her of Elkins as opposed to being a positive identification and that she only identified him in her testimony because Summit County Prosecutor Maureen O'Connor (now Chief Justice of the Ohio Supreme Court) and Lead prosecutor Michael Carroll urged her to. Brooke recanted her statement and Elkins appealed on that basis, but his appeal was denied.

The family finally raised funding to test DNA found at the scene and he was excluded. Once again, his appeal was denied. The judge ruled that because the jury convicted Elkins without the DNA results, it was likely that he would have been convicted even if the DNA did not match.

This poo poo is loving unbelievable.

"Literally the only evidence against you has disappeared. The single witness on whose testimony you were convicted has recanted her story, and (very plausibly) says that she was pressured as a little girl by authority figures. Appeal denied."
"DNA evidence excludes you as a contributor. Probably doesn't matter. Appeal denied."

That poo poo the judge said about the DNA evidence doesn't make any loving sense. What kind of weirdo logic brings a person to that idiotic conclusion? "Since the jury convicted you without this fairly compelling evidence of your innocence, they almost certainly would have convicted you even with this fairly compelling evidence of your innocence." What? Without the DNA evidence, a jury could think, "Well, there's nothing that says he wasn't there..." With the DNA evidence, that's a bit of a different conversation. I think "Committed a brutal assault, a rape, and a murder, but left no trace of DNA anywhere at the scene" rises to well above the bar of "reasonable doubt," especially when combined with multiple eyewitnesses saying, "Yeah, he was at home an hour away when that poo poo happened."

Oh, hell.

quote:

"I'm sorry to tell you this, but my grandma died and I need somebody to get my mom for me. I'm all alone. Somebody killed my grandma. Now please, would you get a hold of me as soon as you can. Bye."

Cases like this illustrate both why I struggle with maintaining my opposition to the death penalty, and why I don't believe we should have a death penalty.

Except for these people:

quote:

Melinda determined to collect Mann's DNA, but he was in prison by that time. Coincidentally, Mann was serving his time at Mansfield Correctional facility, the same facility Clarence was serving his sentence. Clarence Elkins collected a cigarette butt discarded by Mann. He sent the cigarette to his attorney who sent it to a lab for testing. It was a match

Despite the DNA evidence connecting Mann to the murder, the district attorney declined to release Elkins.

Torture-murder that oval office live on pay-per-view.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
It's always disturbing to hear another case that reminds me that the only interest of the state is to get a conviction rather than find the actual perpetrator.

FourLeaf has a new favorite as of 04:20 on Jul 27, 2017