Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Soricidus posted:

the upside is that the gnome developers who want to work on shiny new stuff* won't have to worry about backwards compatibility any more. the only ones who will have to care about existing users will be the ones who choose to work on maintaining boring old stuff**.

* i.e. all of them
** i.e. nobody

at least they are giving everyone ample notice so they can start moving to qt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Blue Train posted:

I like gnome but drat theyre making it hard to

Yeah I see a lot of people complain about gnome, but I also see people complain about pretty much all of the popular DEs so it's hard to tell what is actually bad and what is just a result of people declaring that everything is terrible. I was looking at KDE because the customizability sounds kind of neat, but I think people tend to not like KDE for some reason that I'm not entirely clear on.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

VikingofRock posted:

Yeah I see a lot of people complain about gnome, but I also see people complain about pretty much all of the popular DEs so it's hard to tell what is actually bad and what is just a result of people declaring that everything is terrible. I was looking at KDE because the customizability sounds kind of neat, but I think people tend to not like KDE for some reason that I'm not entirely clear on.
it's decent, there's just so much stuff you can tweak and not that many good themes

i've used budgie for the last months, it's pretty much gnome apps with a different desktop, before that i used cinnamon. both are good

mekkanare
Sep 12, 2008
We have detected you are using ad blocking software.

Please add us to your whitelist to view this content.
i3 is nice if you don't want to use a mouse, whether it's your preference or not.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

mekkanare posted:

i3 is nice if you don't want to use a mouse, whether it's your preference or not.

Yeah I've been looking at WMs a little too, but I guess I don't really get them. What made you pick i3 over awesome or xmonad? Also, how does stuff like browsing the internet work in a WM? Like you can use a mouse for that, right?

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

VikingofRock posted:

Yeah I've been looking at WMs a little too, but I guess I don't really get them. What made you pick i3 over awesome or xmonad? Also, how does stuff like browsing the internet work in a WM? Like you can use a mouse for that, right?

Yes.

I use xmonad. It's OK (but the default setup is not). I think most of the tiling WMs are similar enough that it hardly matters which one you use.

Ratpoison is the one with the best default configuration, because there is not much to configure, and it does not try to second-guess you. I also has very few features. (This is a good thing.)

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

VikingofRock posted:

in my experience i3 requires the least amount of time investment to use, it's pretty simple. if you have the time and inclination to get stuff like xmonad to your liking, then it will likely be superior, though it's a bit more complicated. i3 also integrates with gnome alright if that matters to you. my needs aren't too much, a tabbed workspace, a tiling workspace, whatever

e.

hobbesmaster posted:

the upside is hopefully you switch to Qt

Qt seems promising. for the longest time i used openbox for its floating windows, light footprint and simple xml config, then i realized that lxqt was p. much a preconfigured openbox. so if there's a need to use it, it's a starting point to branch off from, carying over old config files + preferences

OldAlias fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jun 13, 2016

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

lol what is the point of versions if the major breaking ones can happen at any random point release

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

VikingofRock posted:

What DE do people in this thread like, and why? I've been meaning to migrate from my ancient Ubuntu install to Fedora, and I'm trying to decide which spin to use.

lxqt is simple and polished and lightweight

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Blue Train posted:

I like gnome but drat theyre making it hard to

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

my stepdads beer posted:

lol what is the point of versions if the major breaking ones can happen at any random point release

this is the best part of Qt: it actually feels like you're using a professionally designed API with a thought out architecture and release strategy. this is why its used in a lot of commercial products and other open source frameworks are not

mekkanare
Sep 12, 2008
We have detected you are using ad blocking software.

Please add us to your whitelist to view this content.

VikingofRock posted:

I wanted to try an Arch distro and wanted a DE that didn't require a lot of mouse use since I was putting it on a laptop.
I found Manjaro and it had an i3 version. It now has a bspwm version too.
Also pretty much what OldAlias said has been my experience.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

this is the best part of Qt: it actually feels like you're using a professionally designed API with a thought out architecture and release strategy. this is why its used in a lot of commercial products and other open source frameworks are not

Yeah as far as UI libraries go, Qt is actually pretty good while gtk is a trash fire

I'm hoping this is the thing that gets apps to finally stop using gtk

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

I still prefer how gtk apps look tho

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

QT_STYLE_OVERRIDE=adwaita

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
I use macOS, the world's most advanced personal computer operating system.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

as do i

linux on the desktop: a VM and a arm dev board count right, they're on my desk

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

as do i

linux on the desktop: a VM and a arm dev board count right, they're on my desk

I have 3 dev boards, my desktop, and three more VM's.

That's just on my desk. At work I have a bunch of VM's as well.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

yeah, well, i have four dev boards. bitch

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

GameCube posted:

yeah, well, i have four dev boards. bitch

I was just talking about the boards on my desk. I have over 10 in the house and 20+ at work in total.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Thanks guys, the DE advice definitely gives me a jumping off point. I'll check out some of the options listed--I suppose one of the nice things about linux is how easy it is to swap out things like the DE.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

I was just talking about the boards on my desk. I have over 10 in the house and 20+ at work in total.

My dev boards have miniature desks with miniature dev boards on them

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
My Dev Board

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Progressive JPEG posted:

My dev boards have miniature desks with miniature dev boards on them

Yo dog, we heard you like dev boards on your desk.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

quote:

Each 6 months, the new release (Gtk 4.2, Gtk 4.4, Gtk 4.6) will break API and ABI vs. the release that came before it.
LMAO

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

eschaton posted:

I use macOS, the world's most advanced personal computer operating system.

somehow quartz has managed to be pretty stable over the last 15 years

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

ratbert90 posted:

yeah me too. i've got fifty dev boards. loving bitch

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
how the gently caress do i change the SDDM greeter to username and password field instead of badge and password field

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

very carefully

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

GameCube posted:

yeah me too. i've got fifty dev boards. loving bitch

I exclusively deal with embedded Linux projects.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

graph posted:

how the gently caress do i change the SDDM greeter to username and password field instead of badge and password field

Pure guess, but try changing theme

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

graph posted:

the feature got commited to sddm like five days ago, good timing (if you use kde). plasma 5.7's sddm got options for username input.

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=364139

Tankakern fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jun 14, 2016

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along

after thinking about it a bit, i've decided this is only a little bit dumb

dumb #1: break things every two years? wtf? 5+ years, maybe. take some time to think, gently caress
dumb #2: they have no credibility that they'll properly maintain the 3.x line when 4.x is out.

if I thought they'd release gnome 4 and have it come with 3.30 and 4.0 both 100% supported and properly maintained as first class citizens with no "we're not working on 3 anymore because 4 is the future" bullshit, it'd be a good strategy. It'd be kind of how like python 2->3 sucked less once they started backporting things from 3 to 2 that had no business being held hostage. They can dogfood 4, while honestly recommending 3.30 to 3rd party stuff.

but every 2 years come on. expect 3rd party apps to take 10 years to upgrade to a new gtk. they're not seriously proposing supporting 5 versions, so they're proposing saying "gently caress you" to their users.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Tankakern posted:

the feature got commited to sddm like five days ago, good timing (if you use kde). plasma 5.7's sddm got options for username input.

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=364139

jesus christ lol

so uh gotta wait until july 5 i guess

http://news.softpedia.com/news/kde-plasma-5-6-5-is-the-last-in-the-series-kde-plasma-5-7-coming-july-5-505235.shtml

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
good news folks, the ability to type your username in instead of scrolling through a list of thousands of options was the last outstanding feature, so come july 5 linux will be ready for the desktop!

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Soricidus posted:

good news folks, the ability to type your username in instead of scrolling through a list of thousands of options was the last outstanding feature, so come july 5 linux will be ready for the desktop!

this is only sddm which kubuntu switched to in the recent 16.04 release

all the others have username fields because they use lightdm

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Soricidus posted:

:cheerdoge:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
If you used the correct rolling release distro of Linux, Arch Linux, then you would be able to take advantage of new upstream features within days (or at most one week) of them being released,

my dudes.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Mr Dog posted:

If you used the correct rolling release distro of Linux,

like i want to have to support loving kubuntu by choice

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Mr Dog posted:

If you used the correct rolling release distro of Linux, Arch Linux, then you would be able to take advantage of new upstream features within days (or at most one week) of them being released,

my dudes.

stupid pug poster