Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
As Plex already has a search page, you can already use Siri Dictation as of the latest update to ask Plex to search for shows, movies, actors, directors, etc.

Yes, it's not going to list Plex as an option alongside Netflix etc, but you probably know what's on your Plex server anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Well that's kind of my point. I know they aren't going to add Plex to their universal Siri search thingy, so I'd like to be sitting in a completely unrelated app like YouTube or Pandora or something, get the urge to watch a Simpsons episode, say "Siri search Plex for Deep Space Homer", and be taken directly to the Plex search page with "Deep Space Homer" already filled in.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
As great as it would be, none of the ways Apple has used Siri so far has suggested they'd do that.

WWDC is rumored to be potential sea change, though. Certainly the other platforms are innovating in this space and ATV risks being left behind again.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Oops. Phone posting gaffe.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jun 4, 2016

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Craptacular! posted:

As great as it would be, none of the ways Apple has used Siri so far has suggested they'd do that.

WWDC is rumored to be potential sea change, though. Certainly the other platforms are innovating in this space and ATV risks being left behind again.

Yeah an open (for Apple) Siri API seems to be #1 on the list of likely WWDC announcements.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Is there a way to refresh the Netflix main menu so I actually see new stuff under Recently Added?

Since the app never actually "closes" when you exit out of it, or even when you turn the ATV off, the main menu can go weeks without updating. I went to watch Jurassic Park, which was just added a few days ago and should be splayed all over the menu but there was no sign of it.

Edit: this is on the new ATV

Kevyn fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jun 6, 2016

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Double-press the home button (with the TV on it) and you can swipe away apps like in iOS.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Not being able to manually refresh feeds in ATV apps is a pretty inconvenient oversight. Force-quitting apps is hardly a decent workaround either. Hopefully it'll be addressed eventually.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
That's a problem with iOS (which tvOS is based on) generally.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Plex devs were smart enough to include a 'Reload' button, everyone should follow suit.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Thwomp posted:

That's a problem with iOS (which tvOS is based on) generally.

No it's not. I never have to kill Hulu or Netflix on my iPad to get them to refresh.

Even if I open Hulu on the iPad, exit it but don't launch anything else (to ensure Hulu doesn't get terminated in the background), start and pause a show on my computer, and then immediately reopen Hulu on the iPad, Hulu refreshes itself appropriately. Which makes sense, because the app receives a notification upon returning to active state and that's a damned obvious time to refresh its feeds.

Why I have to kill Hulu on my ATV one or two times a day is beyond me.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Plex devs were smart enough to include a 'Reload' button, everyone should follow suit.

This button literally never works for me.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Really? I have no issues with it. It doesn't force the library to refresh if that's what you think it's for (there's a channel for that, which I find useful every so often), but it always flushes the local cache correctly for me.

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.

LODGE NORTH posted:

I stream from my Macbook Pro and if I've just added something new to my library I refresh it on the Macbook before opening the Plex ATV app, which will then be up to date after a refresh (or usually straight away).

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

LODGE NORTH posted:

You have to wait for your library on the server to update, or trigger an update manually.

Then go into the ATV app and click Reload.

Basically, you have to reload before you reload.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Anyone use AirParrot or Mirror360 on Windows to screencast to an AppleTV and have a recommendation to make?

The free trial for AirParrot seems to work OK but then you have some reviews screaming about how it crashes all the time, but I can't tell if it's just a very vocal minority.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I've used it and I can report that it depends on what you are using it for. Are you screencasting just for a mirror/second monitor or are you attempting to stream video to a TV via the AppleTV?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Mostly I just want to be able to stream presentations/documents/websites/pictures from my Windows PC to the Apple TV.

Computer is wired via gigabyte Ethernet and the ATV(4) is on Wireless N about 4 feet away from the router.

For videos I mostly use Plex but I guess it would be nice to be able to cast a YouTube video straight from a chrome tab without having to switch over to the app. Not a deal breaker.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

You have to wait for your library on the server to update, or trigger an update manually.

Then go into the ATV app and click Reload.

Basically, you have to reload before you reload.

Everyone on the planet doesn't have Plex server set to reload every time it gets a new file dumped in it??!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I didn't use to because I was concerned about the extra grinding on the disc if it was actually doing a full scan each episode, and it got a new set of 20+ episodes regularly due to season batches. Also my old file structure (everything in the root as a separate folder) doesn't play well with that. I've changed it now and am happy, although every so often I find the functionality breaks for no obvious reason.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
WWDC is on, and there's your Siri search for Plex, you drat dirty apes.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Also, Apple is fixing the whole cable provider sign on thing with something their calling Single Sign-on. Looks like pretty deep intergration with TV Everywhere (the service that is always asking for your provider info).

Also, Sling is coming and a dark mode in settings.

And something about finding live tv to stream easily. Apps have to work with apple to get in on it but it looked like CBS and Disney (ESPN, Disney networks) are on board.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Craptacular! posted:

Wait I must have missed that. I did see the Siri search for Youtube thing though which is going to save me some time.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Craptacular! posted:

...hopefully. He said it works with YouTube, not that it was any kind of open API or anything. It could be something they just gave YouTube access to. Guess we'll find out for sure later today/this week.

Also BOOOOOOOOOOOO UPDATE IN THE FALL

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Single sign on is huge. Way overdue.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

OldSenileGuy posted:

Also BOOOOOOOOOOOO UPDATE IN THE FALL

Get the developer seed?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Single sign on is huge. Way overdue.

One of The Verge's commentators brought up that this is essentially a half-way step towards being their own cable provider. They're storing customer account data which would include all the possible TV packages.

It would only be a matter of negotiating rates for access to apps/live streaming and then putting together their own tiers. They've already got billing information. Picking up a TV sub from Apple would be as easy as signing up for HBO Now via the AppleTV app. Except once you bought your package, you instantly get access to all those apps without doing the whole activation thing for them all.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 13, 2016

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

OldSenileGuy posted:

...hopefully. He said it works with YouTube, not that it was any kind of open API or anything. It could be something they just gave YouTube access to. Guess we'll find out for sure later today/this week.

There was something about "new Search API" in the big list of new features.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The old system sucked but I hope the ability to use someone else's logins (with permission, of course) still exists with the new one. If that's the case, today is a good day.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Single sign-in is amazing but yeah that sucks the update is so far away.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Gotta wait til the fall so the devs have time to make some sweet apps to support the update!

~Fall rolls around, 5 new clothes shopping apps and a "cut the rope" knockoff arrive~

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

priznat posted:

Gotta wait til the fall so the devs have time to make some sweet apps to support the update!

~Fall rolls around, 5 new clothes shopping apps and a "cut the rope" knockoff arrive~

I'm glad someone else is as pessimistic about WWDC as I've become. Year after year they list cool sound tools to make devs lives easier and make better software aaaaaand it's all ignored. Still have apps that don't make use of the change in aspect ratio that happened... 3 years ago? Passbook/Wallet has been criminally ignored by most, sharing things between apps appears to be almost non existent. I can't even send something from my photo reel to Instagram. I'm sure it's supposed to be there, but it ain't.

It's why I find I rely so much on what Apple write software wise, because everyone else is lazy and/or sucks.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'm glad someone else is as pessimistic about WWDC as I've become. Year after year they list cool sound tools to make devs lives easier and make better software aaaaaand it's all ignored. Still have apps that don't make use of the change in aspect ratio that happened... 3 years ago? Passbook/Wallet has been criminally ignored by most, sharing things between apps appears to be almost non existent. I can't even send something from my photo reel to Instagram. I'm sure it's supposed to be there, but it ain't.

It's why I find I rely so much on what Apple write software wise, because everyone else is lazy and/or sucks.

Yeah I had thought AppleTV having apps would be pretty cool but with the exception of Plex (which is a reason for allowing apps all by itself) they're mostly either pretty but useless or flat out terrible.

There wasn't anything I was super excited to see on the AppleTV side of things anyway apart from the extended voice search..

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Games being able to require a controller could be s paradigm shift for the business and how weak it's been. Maybe?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Feenix posted:

Games being able to require a controller could be s paradigm shift for the business and how weak it's been. Maybe?

It's a nice idea but I'd be really surprised if it takes off at all. Having to buy a $30-40(?) controller on top of the appletv? I doubt there will be many takers.

Definitely could be wrong on that, but I dunno I have some pretty strong doubts.

I'd love to play sky force on the appletv with a controller, but then I can do that on steam already.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
edit: nvm i'm an idiot

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Feenix posted:

Better late than never when correcting a mistake like this, but there's no way to be certain that'll improve the number of things out for it.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

kefkafloyd posted:

Better late than never when correcting a mistake like this, but there's no way to be certain that'll improve the number of things out for it.

Did Apple actually change their policy on this?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bass Bottles posted:

Did Apple actually change their policy on this?
Yes, they said at WWDC that the next "major" tvOS update will allow games to require a controller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Is it still possible to install Kodi on an Apple TV 2? I've using the command line installation I found on the kodi wiki but I can't ssh into the box?

edit: looks like I need to jailbreak first. Does anyone have a recent link for jailbreaking?

SnatchRabbit fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jun 19, 2016