Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
theres a degree of subtext and intuition that you seem incapable of grasping in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

##vote aa

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

dongsbot 9000 posted:

you literally approach the game like a broken robot "uhhh roleblockers are better than doctors cuz if you just randomly block people youre more likely to hit mafia as roleblocker than town as doctor" "uhhh if we randomly lynch people then we might accidentally lynch ferngully and then town will lose" "uhhh if youre vanilla tree i guess youre basically useless just wait for ferngully to tell us whos scum"

I was scum and my RB scumbuddy was on the block.

Wtf is ur problem?

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

what is your problem

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

like, clinically

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

quidnose, please analyse my posts for towniness vs scumitude

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Adahn1986 posted:

Wtf is ur problem?

dongsbot 9000 posted:

what is your problem

mafia.txt

Seriously though don't talk about other games, and if it means anything at all I would personally enjoy the game more if we could keep things chill-ish?

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

i forgot president game was still running in gbs

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Murmur Twin posted:

mafia.txt

Seriously though don't talk about other games, and if it means anything at all I would personally enjoy the game more if we could keep things chill-ish?

:agreed:

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Also, MT, where do you fall on the "do we lynch or no-lynch day 1 and 2?" quesiton.

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret
dongs could you cool it slightly

this is a fun cool game for players of all ages

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

i wish it was a fun cool game for players of all ages except one

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

wish it were

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Don't be so salty lil bacon bit.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Max posted:

Also, MT, where do you fall on the "do we lynch or no-lynch day 1 and 2?" quesiton.

I feel like we have to lynch D1 and D2, there's no other way to gain information.

If we no-lynch D1 and D2, isn't that essentially the same as starting the game with 2 people primed for arson?

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Murmur Twin posted:

I feel like we have to lynch D1 and D2, there's no other way to gain information.

If we no-lynch D1 and D2, isn't that essentially the same as starting the game with 2 people primed for arson?

Hooray! I had an opinion that someone agrees with!

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Hah, I hadn't really read the game before answering that but apparently my answer seems to be the consensus. If anything I say we turbo someone to accelerate the process by which people are forced to make in-game decisions.

##vote Moatillata - I eenie-meenie-miney-mo'ed the playerlist.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Murmur Twin posted:

Hah, I hadn't really read the game before answering that but apparently my answer seems to be the consensus. If anything I say we turbo someone to accelerate the process by which people are forced to make in-game decisions.

Moat is indeed a meanie-head.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

Don't be so salty lil bacon bit.

you entertained adahn1986s obviously bad idea like a SCUM would

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

Murmur Twin posted:

why turbot

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

dongsbot 9000 posted:

False, I rode the fence because the two courses suggested both had good points.

:smug:

Lynching is probably the best course though given stumps being in the game.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
Random lynching is absolutely the worst thing we can do.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Use the power of deduction.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

dongsbot 9000 posted:

**entertained adahn1986s idea

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
As of right now I don't want to bark up the wrong tree and am stumped as is usual for day 1 play. The mechanics discussion seems a bit heavy handed, but not warrantless. I just don't want the game to devolve into that. I'll be releafed if we get scum today.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

you will taste my chainsaw arm aa

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Maple you'll learn to love me bacon bit.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

suffer not the bad tree to live

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

dongsbot 9000 posted:

suffer not the bad tree to live

Willow you give me a hug? I'm pining for your affection.

Li Dawny
Apr 14, 2013

Holy crap things exploded here. I agree with everyone who's against Adahn's plan because it sounds like the worst idea.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Murmur Twin posted:

If Ferngully douses incorrectly N1 and N2, yes.

But D3 it puts us in an interesting situation. The arsonists won't want to lynch the people they've primed, even if Ferngully saved them.

Town also has 4 potentially useful lynches, because lynching either arsonist or either primed townie is "good" in that it slows scum.

The 'strategy' makes use of our power role. If we get lucky and she correctly douses a couple townies, the arsonists are boned.

If, however, we play the game with a 'lynch erryday' mentality, we cripple ferngully as we're likely to lynch her, out her, or get her randomly primed.

You guys do make good points though. It's just a question of whether we want to make use of our power role or not.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
It seems like the consensus is that we will not rely on the power role.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Adahn1986 posted:

If Ferngully douses incorrectly N1 and N2, yes.

But D3 it puts us in an interesting situation. The arsonists won't want to lynch the people they've primed, even if Ferngully saved them.

Town also has 4 potentially useful lynches, because lynching either arsonist or either primed townie is "good" in that it slows scum.

The 'strategy' makes use of our power role. If we get lucky and she correctly douses a couple townies, the arsonists are boned.

If, however, we play the game with a 'lynch erryday' mentality, we cripple ferngully as we're likely to lynch her, out her, or get her randomly primed.

You guys do make good points though. It's just a question of whether we want to make use of our power role or not.

You seem to be approaching this as if the person that gets lunched will be a completely random decision. That's not the case. A big part of this game, and this setup in particular, is dissecting what people say. Dongs was rude before, but they had a point. No lunching day 1 and 2 gives scum two free primed targets, or even a free kill, before they ever have to worry about getting lunched.

It's sort of suspicious that you can't see that, but I don't know how new a player you are.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

##unvote

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
I see it more as people describing a chess game as if it's being played with checkers pieces, but I can see that the consensus is against the idea so I'll let it alone.

Li Dawny
Apr 14, 2013

Can you please read the things you post and make an effort to sound less condescending Adahn?

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Li Dawny posted:

Can you please read the things you post and make an effort to sound less condescending Adahn?

Condescending? Not one person has considered the possibility that the firefighter will be useful in this game, and everyone who's argued against my thoughts has operated under the assumption that she will never douse effectively.

That's not condescension, that's observation.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Adahn1986 posted:

I see it more as people describing a chess game as if it's being played with checkers pieces, but I can see that the consensus is against the idea so I'll let it alone.

Oh come on. This setup was known, it's mostly going to be a game where we figure things out on our own. This is actually possible. Our firefighter may help us, or they may not. It's dangerous to forgo two days of gaining no information on the chance that they do help us. But if scum pick their targets completely randomly, there's only a 1/9 chance that the firefighter will cancel out their action. Even the math is bad in that sense. People's opinions about a flipped player are far more valuable than that, plus we get the opinions of stumped but confirmed town players, who again, will probably not be primed because that seems like a total waste of a night action.

Li Dawny
Apr 14, 2013

Adahn1986 posted:

Condescending? Not one person has considered the possibility that the firefighter will be useful in this game, and everyone who's argued against my thoughts has operated under the assumption that she will never douse effectively.

That's not condescension, that's observation.

Show me one post where someone said Ferngully isn't useful. We all agree she's our most important tool, but we disagree on how to proceed from here. And the assertion that we just don't 'get it' is condescension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I also just generally rebel when someone is publicly suggesting what the PR should do. It's on them to figure out the best path forward.

• Locked thread