Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Robo Reagan posted:

I don't know who stole the franchise or how they did it but this is obviously not a Zelda game because Link is left handed. :colbert:

There's more than one Link. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Carbon dioxide posted:

I haven't/am not watching any live streams, it's late in this part of the world and I guess you folks will link to recordings tomorrow?

But looking at the trailer, and hearing how it's about open world survivalist and gathering food and cooking and stuff, I just hope it isn't too minecraft-y. I hope for cool dungeon designs and a good plot. It's easy to not have a plot at all except for an opening and an ending with such an open game.

If I were just hearing about this rather than watching that would be my reaction too. But it's very much not actually a survival or minecraft type game. Everything you're cooking and finding is purely to help you in combat and exploration. It's all extremely simple and looks very non-time consuming at all. It's not the central focus of the game.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Bean posted:

My hilariously supported fan theory that totally means a lot you guys is that we're just after the great flood, the world has drained, the ocean floor has gone a bit wild, and now we've got to get things sort of repopulated.

Also I'm disappointed we haven't seen The Hat yet.

The timeline splits again after Wind Waker, one with Ganon getting his wish to revive Hyrule and one with the King getting his wish to drown it. In this game, the old man at the beginning is actually King Daphnes. I figured it out, Nintendo.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
If anyone is worried about the frame rate, there are tons of videos going up now on YouTube of people's playthroughs at the E3 booth. It's smooth as a motherfucker.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape

Regy Rusty posted:

If I were just hearing about this rather than watching that would be my reaction too. But it's very much not actually a survival or minecraft type game. Everything you're cooking and finding is purely to help you in combat and exploration. It's all extremely simple and looks very non-time consuming at all. It's not the central focus of the game.

Yeah, the game is actually really huge in pretty much every way, so it is easy to forget/not notice the traditional Zelda things while looking at all the open world stuff. Really it makes a whole lot of sense why they are devoting a day or more of streams to this game. There a lot to cover even without getting into the traditional Zelda stuff. Also they have stated that they are limiting things to the opening area to avoid spoilers to the story.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

I'm watching these videos and my hype is rapidly deflating as I see things like weapons breaking in a few hits, survival mechanics, limited inventory space for dropped items, having to gather materials to make things. These are all things that add tedium to games and I don't know why any of them needed to be in a Zelda game.

Digging the "sheikah technology from a now-lost civilisation" thing though

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Looks like good times, I look forward to terrorizing chickens and running into things and whatnot, hopefully rocking a dungeon or two

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The game looks gorgeous and I highly doubt the same team that's been making Zelda adventure games is going to completely gently caress up an open world system. Maybe some of the features won't be polished or really that useful past their introductory use (like some of the dungeon items are in past Zeldas) but hopefully this game takes the best of the last few games and adds in the AssCreed standard climbing feature and all the other things open world adventure games have done right in the last ten years.

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!
A burning wooden club acts as a torch and weapon at once. Cool.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Suaimhneas posted:

I'm watching these videos and my hype is rapidly deflating as I see things like weapons breaking in a few hits, survival mechanics, limited inventory space for dropped items, having to gather materials to make things. These are all things that add tedium to games and I don't know why any of them needed to be in a Zelda game.

Digging the "sheikah technology from a now-lost civilisation" thing though

My feeling as well. I very quickly have gotten bored of any kind of crafting and inventory management in pretty much any other game I've played. I'm sure there's a good chance I could enjoy this game despite that, but it really kills a good amount of my enthusiasm.

My hope is that these elements will be minimized as the game goes on. As soon as you get a decent shield you don't have to worry about it breaking anymore, as soon as you get a renewable source for a food that fills up your energy to full you don't have to worry about running out of food anymore, etc.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jun 14, 2016

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

The only crafting shown so far is cooking

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Man, it looks like this game has everything.

Except gender equality. :smith:

But it has shorts!! SHORTS GODDAMNIT.

They're comfy and easy to wear

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Kind of interesting how minimalistic the game is.

You wake up in some weird pod thing, get your iPad, and then there's a big world.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
https://twitter.com/Frederic_Luu/status/742778221977034752

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I hope I can at least make link wear girl clothes.

Triforc Heroes at least gave me that.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
This chick on the Nintendo stream has some huge cans

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape

mabels big day posted:

The only crafting shown so far is cooking

Yeah, it looks like the survival mechanics like cooking are simple and are just there to supplement the exploration and combat with them buffing/healing you. Really all of the new mechanics actually seem pretty simplified, and are all just there to complement the core mechanics.

Also with regards to the game having a very minimalist start, they stated that the intention is to copy the tone of the original Zelda and have the story be something you have to set out to discover.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Girl mashed through it but you have dialogue options for Link now, something he said was "that wasn't part of the deal!" to the old man/ww king hyrule/ganondorf, so that's interesting. Coming up next Aonuma explores outside the plateau.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Girl mashed through it but you have dialogue options for Link now, something he said was "that wasn't part of the deal!" to the old man/ww king hyrule/ganondorf, so that's interesting. Coming up next Aonuma explores outside the plateau.

Relatedly, he said something about "traveling instantly" so looks like fast travel will be available fairly early on, which is good in an overworld this size

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I'm very down with that. Into the idea of mostly wandering around and not getting many cutscenes.

Also, I said this in the last thread, but I am more into the idea of being Link with armor+spear than really makes sense. It's like something that I've had a desire for ever since I've been a kid, for whatever reason.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I can't believe I've been watching this Zelda stream all day. It's making me want to get back to my Zelda replay too that I put down due to being burnt out.

I should finally get around to playing Skyward Sword... but I'll probably just re-play Wind Waker HD instead :)

Regy Rusty posted:

Basically Skyrim.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Regy Rusty posted:

Relatedly, he said something about "traveling instantly" so looks like fast travel will be available fairly early on, which is good in an overworld this size

I bet each shrine is a fast travel point.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Dr Pepper posted:

It looked like he was referring to those huge towers you see in the distance sometimes.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Dr Pepper posted:

The lady on the stream mentioned that it becomes one when you first enter.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Jsor posted:

It looked like he was referring to those huge towers you see in the distance sometimes.

They mentioned in the last session that if you couldn't finish a Shrine, you could always come back later as there a marker created upon entering it.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
Okay, so towns and other NPC's do exist, they are just not in the E3 build for spoiler reasons.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
If this was a remake of Zelda 1 it would be named something dumb like ZELDA because that's what video games do nowadays.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

id like to thank nintendo for releasing a game where i can change links clothes when he gets too cold and cook food for him when he’s low on health thank you for making a zelda game where i am links mother

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
This trailer made me want to go back and play Ocarina of Time but then I remembered I'd have to go through all the child Link dungeons before getting to the interesting stuff. I have a hard time playing that game because I just find the kid link stuff so boring.

Maybe I'll play Majora's Mask instead.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape

smell this posted:

id like to thank nintendo for releasing a game where i can change links clothes when he gets too cold and cook food for him when he’s low on health thank you for making a zelda game where i am links mother

You just made me realize that they are taking the importance of fashion from Tri-Force Heroes and putting it into this game. Also with some of the recipes increasing your defense against the elements this means you can just focus on wearing what looks good.

Games > The Legend of Zelda: Fashion Souls Edition

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
That super Zelda fan singer who was murdered in Orlando would have loved this. :smith:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm not huge into open world type of games but I am totally down with what I saw today.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

That super Zelda fan singer who was murdered in Orlando would have loved this. :smith:
i think she also would have loved not being dead

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

thehoodie posted:

This trailer made me want to go back and play Ocarina of Time but then I remembered I'd have to go through all the child Link dungeons before getting to the interesting stuff. I have a hard time playing that game because I just find the kid link stuff so boring.

Maybe I'll play Majora's Mask instead.

If you know what to do already you can knock out kid link in like a couple hours tops.

Then when you get to the master sword, make a copy of your save and never do it again :)

(it let you copy them didn't it? or just delete? Maybe I'm wrong. Well you could always emulate on PC at high resolution and use save states...)

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Reggie gave her a tribute at the start of the day, it was kinda nice.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
Did that burning grass create an updraft for the glider? Also they are going to show off some of the non-plateau shrines next.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Shield surfing will never get old in the new Zelda. :allears:

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Killer Queen posted:

Shield surfing will never get old in the new Zelda. :allears:

stupid twilight princess link link didn't shield surf, that idiot.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I'm also glad that the Wii U version runs at a solid, reasonably smooth frame rate. It seemed liked a total mess initially, but it's just because the Youtube stream is trash. It looks very smooth on Twitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

what is jim sterlings impression on the new zelda game