Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016
Anyone want to hear a summary of the Aerospace talks I attended today? Here are the topics, I can give a condensed version any one of interest.

Optical detection of turbulent boundary layer superstructures

Particle Erosion on Hypersonic Vehicles

Conceptual Analysis of Anti-Drone Drone

High-Lift Device for Short Take-Off on a Drone

Non-equilibrium Radiation Calculation for Earth Re-Entry

New Mathematically Consistent Turbulence Modeling Formalism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

This is hilarious, so much of the sperg defense was based upon the space combat being On-Rails.

sanctimoniousqfd
Dec 16, 2015

ManofManyAliases posted:

What do you mean come from? 115 million raised from crowdfunding. Likely a similar (ok - let's say even half that) amount of private investment; any number of grants for small businesses (hence some of the smaller entities still in existence) and tax incentives in different states and countries. Do you think the money coming in is spent immediately? Ok - there are four studios and the bulk of the employees are located in Europe. Even guessing (LOL no access to financials!) that the monthly burn rate is approx 3 mil/mo and speculating that this was the case for the past 18 months ( I say 18 because the ramp up to 300 employees occurred during this time), that's $54 million. Given my other variables, they then should have (or utilized) up to $150mil more. I'm confident that they're doing fine for the time being.

Others have already tackled the (un)likelihood of CR ever getting $50 million from private investors, so I'll just talk about the tax incentives bit as it relates to the crowd-funded portion (and any grants... yes, these are considered taxable earnings too).

You are being somewhat naive in the way you describe tax incentives and how they help CIG. Don't get me wrong, they do help (see Ubisoft Montreal), but tax incentives do not supplement the $115 million, only allow CIG to use more of it. It means that, of the potloads of money they have received which *must* be declared as income (since they aren't a religion... yet), they get to claim reliefs or deductions against taxes otherwise owed. It means that CIG get to claim relief against specific expenses (e.g. R&D) to reduce their reported gross earnings, or claim credits against the tax owing on their gross earnings to reduce their overall tax bill. It is NOT a form of income. In fact, if it isn't spent (on deductible expenses!) immediately that's possibly even worse... because now it is straight profit way in excess of deductible expenses, which means a proportionally greater tax bill for the year in which it is received.

Most calculations I have seen made by goons don't even try to take into account the taxes that CIG is (presumably) reporting and remitting to IRS, HMRC and BZSt each year. The number of corporations around the world that CIG has maintained are quite evidently a series of shells placed to keep the various tax agencies from taking a big chunk out of their core funds, but that money is still a liability against whatever they have earned each year and as the saying goes, the only certainties in life are death and taxes. It will be found eventually, and there will be a chunk taken from it.

So they don't have $115 million from backers. Depending on how creative their accounting is, they likely owe a moderate-to-significant portion of that to various tax offices around the world. Going by the latest accounts reported in the UK, they've not even started paying the taxes they owe there yet for a period in which development ramped up, so likely we haven't seen the splash that will cause yet. As someone who once co-ran a *small* UK business (three people), these amounts can be surprisingly painful...

sanctimoniousqfd fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jun 15, 2016

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Free flight, not rails.

Why would you trust the lying liars at a big publisher? What have they done to earn your trust?

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014

trucutru posted:

Why would you trust the lying liars at a big publisher? What have they done to earn your trust?

Make actual games that you can play right now for 60$ or less, for one.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Sankis posted:

i want that AMD letter to be real and to get leaked more than i want to continue breathing

Could you hold your breath for one of Chris' 1000 page rants?

Rodney-CK
Jun 19, 2004

illectro posted:

Sure, I suspect there are people who feel that getting a $250 spaceship from CIG is in the same level as getting $250 in cash. The value perception of Internet spaceships is very much in the eye of the beholder.

Love your channel. Long time subscriber!

That out of the way, it's logical to assume that CIG isn't going to be trying to break into the video market yet because they have nothing to actually show that's worth two cents.

They do, however, have the concept of a game that has everything for sale. The only way to sell that is through words and a few doctored pictures, not videos of people trying to play it (Major Tom has that covered!)

So even though you haven't been approached yet, it's more likely because your type of market (actual gameplay) is so far outside of their current scope there is literally no use in even really breaching the topic.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sperglord posted:

Anyone want to hear a summary of the Aerospace talks I attended today? Here are the topics, I can give a condensed version any one of interest.

That one.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

trucutru posted:

More than Chris Roberts ever has.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Sperglord posted:

That's a more charitable view of CIG than I'd give them. I think the story sounds authentic and, if true went like this.

CIG is badly behind schedule and hemorrhaging talent, we can see this in the low quality art for the buccaneer and the lack of any staged video presentation in almost six months.

Ergo, CIG doesn't want to respond to AMD, because that would reveal the lack of internal progress. Roberts procrastinates as long as possible, not answering and nor thinking about the problem. (he is a moral coward, after all). Finally, CIG throws something together, then releases the letter so as to make it look like they were pulling out on principle.

I hope hope hope AMD disowns them during the E3 PC presentation. That's too much to look forward too, but CIG is a stain on the industry and its reputation. (Sorry Gorf...)
I thought that a simple "they don't have anything so they're not returning calls" situation was possible, but I preferred the real-life sitcom CIG that exists in my head. The image of Ben Lesnick, Developer, flailing his arms at someone more important while yammering "eh woh ep wot did" and getting an old blu-ray full of trailers to shut him up is funnier and still probably possible there. The episode is titled "A Simple Miscommunication."

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

ManofManyAliases posted:

Have fun with that. I've got a meeting to attend soon anyway.

Ive got 99 problems but a death march aint one. My goondolences.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

More than Chris Roberts ever has.

But... big publishers!

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Its hilarious than in the time cig announced their partnership with madcatz both thrustmaster and saitek have advertised new, more functional hotas than saiteks aborted cig concept

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Sperglord posted:

Hello friend there are several threads I read that would be very interested in effort posts from you.

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

TTerrible posted:

Hello friend there are several threads I read that would be very interested in effort posts from you.

Which ones? I can effort post elsewhere too. Though, I won't talk about what I'm actually working on.

Ooph, you had to pick the talk by a Chinese author, whose English was lacking... But it is an interesting topic, so I will look up the conference paper and summarize. I'll come back in a few minutes to with a write-up.

Also, look forward to an Effort Post later on about the space combat in SQ42 versus Infinite Warfare.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Sperglord posted:

Quantum Analysis to Determine Caloric Intake For Director of Ships

This gets my vote.

Inkel
Feb 19, 2004

College Slice
So ideate posted this on discord..

It looks like CIG made it to E3 afterall..
https://twitter.com/SandiGardiner/status/742853960927563776

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Inkel posted:

But...why? That's bad form to show up to a venue you bailed on.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Meridian posted:

Everything CIG does is bad form.

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

Colostomy Bag posted:

Quantum Analysis to Determine Caloric Intake For Director of Ships

This gets my vote.

I think in this case, we can safely say we're at least operating in the classical limit. However, the question is if the value is approaching a general relativistic limit. Do we have to consider space-time curvature in calculating the mass of food? Possibly, I leave it to others to continue this investigation. Perhaps MoMA can walk down the hallway and weigh the Director of Spaceship's food.

Sir Simon Milligan
Mar 27, 2003

Yes, I have walked along the path of evil many times, it's a twisting curving path, that actually leads to a charming block garden, but beyond that evil!

So they didn't go, but went anyway. Makes sense.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Sperglord posted:

Which ones? I can effort post elsewhere too. Though, I won't talk about what I'm actually working on.

Aeronautical Insanity: The last time I took a poo poo at Mach 0.8, I got locked out

AIRPOWER/Cold War Thread: There is a Bear in the Woods

These are pro-click threads for aviation/military history nerds.

The_Groove
Mar 15, 2003

Supersonic compressible convection in the sun
Optimal Mixing of a Hairy Roberts Under Extreme Negative-G Conditions

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

Meridian posted:

That is ridiculously insulting by CIG. Bail out on an E3 presentation with a major corporate partner, then go there and take promotional talks anyway.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
But it's so close!

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

Thanks!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Sperglord posted:

I think in this case, we can safely say we're at least operating in the classical limit. However, the question is if the value is approaching a general relativistic limit. Do we have to consider space-time curvature in calculating the mass of food? Possibly, I leave it to others to continue this investigation. Perhaps MoMA can walk down the hallway and weigh the Director of Spaceship's food.

How would one know? As you approach the mass of food time would slow down.

Anyways, just post with with the stuff you've heard. Nerd inside likes to hear it.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Ash1138 posted:

that amd thing can't be real

I want to believe

Sir Simon Milligan
Mar 27, 2003

Yes, I have walked along the path of evil many times, it's a twisting curving path, that actually leads to a charming block garden, but beyond that evil!

Maybe Sandi is at E3 tracking down a drunken AMD employee for telling stories.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

The_Groove posted:

Optimal Mixing of a Hairy Roberts Under Extreme Negative-G Conditions

Analysis of the Improbable Odds of Derek Smart Having Nothing to Argue About

Blunderstorm
Mar 1, 2016

my grandfather just posts and all i got was this lousy joke, so what

Inkel posted:

amazing

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I desperately want the AMD story to be real and for someone from their team to see her selfie-ing it up on the convention floor.

What a bunch of absolute assholes.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

skaboomizzy posted:

I desperately want the AMD story to be real and for someone from their team to see her selfie-ing it up on the convention floor.

What a bunch of absolute assholes.

Perhaps someone here who knows AMD people can make it happen :getin:

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
I forget, why is Chris too busy?

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Inkel posted:

That's Our VP of Marketing!

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Inkel posted:

Star Citizen - Is this real life?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

There are some great domain experts in there. A lot of pilots. One guy who designs rotary wing stuff for a living, a V-22 pilot etc.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

A Neurotic Jew posted:

That's Our VP of Marketing!

It's E3, who gives a gently caress.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Inkel posted:

Are they purposely taking the piss now or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

Lladre posted:

I forget, why is Chris too busy?

Because there is no gameplay to show, but they can't say that.

• Locked thread