Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Convex posted:

Wow, the Steam database title for this is RESIDENT EVIL 7 biohazard / BIOHAZARD 7 resident evil

That's something.

Are they implying the English title is "Resident Evil 7: Biohazard" and the Japanese title is "BIOHAZARD 7: Resident Evil"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
That's exactly it, yeah.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Alabaster White posted:

Are they implying the English title is "Resident Evil 7: Biohazard" and the Japanese title is "BIOHAZARD 7: Resident Evil"?

Yup. I think they're trying to merge the two titles together for consistency. Resident Evil 8 will probably have the Biohazard subtitle too. They've been doing this for their PC ports for a while too.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Yup. I think they're trying to merge the two titles together for consistency. Resident Evil 8 will probably have the Biohazard subtitle too. They've been doing this for their PC ports for a while too.

If nothing else, it helps them promote the brand worldwide if they use one unified naming scheme.

I wouldn't be totally surprised if they drop one name entirely for the next game if RE7 underperforms in one territory (or, maybe, publish "Resident Evil" and "Biohazard" as two separate franchises worldwide).

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Alucard Nacirema posted:

RE 5 moved copies because it was the sequel to RE 4, it was in development for a long time creating increased anticipation, the return of Chris Redfield (and possible conclusion of the story started in RE 1), and the first HD Resident Evil. Plain and Simple.

It didn't hurt that it was a co-op shooter coming hot off the heels of Gears of War either.

Theres a reason sales dropped with RE 6 (NEWS FLASH: Its because RE 5 wasn't that good)
Resident Evil 5 still played enough like RE4 and it was successful (But not as successful) but RE6 played nothing like RE4 or 5 and it sucked.

Resident Evil 4 didn't ruin anything, they just hosed up the style in 6. RE7 looks like it's going to be almost like PT which I don't mind one bit

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
I like it when dumb nerds make up statistics to make their bad opinions legit.

Maybe now they will go full third person shooter like RE4-5-6 with revelations instead of trying to shoehorn some horrors/survival elements into my zombie tps.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

RealFoxy posted:

Resident Evil 5 still played enough like RE4 and it was successful (But not as successful) but RE6 played nothing like RE4 or 5 and it sucked.

I only recently realized people don't like 5. They changed some stuff and went a more action route with it, but it felt like a progression of 4 so I loved it when it came out. The level design, the production value, the art design all felt in line with where the series was at. Then 6 rolled around and threw everything in the trash. Outside of some decent monster design (that was far outweighed by bad monster design) everything felt wrong about it. The controls suck, the animations suck, the game is butt ugly to look at. Somehow much worse than 5 or even 4 despite it's massive budget. Worst of all the level design is irredeemable. It's just such an unfun game to play.

The thing that bugs me most in the end is just how off it feels. It doesn't feel like part of the same series. At least RE5 for all it's faults felt like they hadn't totally lost touch with RE on a base level. I'm really curious about going back and playing the re release to see how my opinion of it hold up in 2016. I remember it being a flawed but really fun game with the best mercs mode in the series.

RE7 could end up being a straight up walking simulator and I'll probably walk away with a higher opinion than RE6.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jun 15, 2016

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

gtrmp posted:

I wouldn't be totally surprised if they drop one name entirely for the next game if RE7 underperforms in one territory (or, maybe, publish "Resident Evil" and "Biohazard" as two separate franchises worldwide).

I think they're a bit stuck at this point. They can't market the series as Biohazard outside of Asia because of the heavy metal band, and Resident Evil has all the brand recognition in the West, much of which is because of the inexplicably-popular films.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

5 is wildly underrated. Its just the choice of voice actor for Wesker was the single biggest blunder in video games since ET for the Atari. Ah, there you ahh!

Just played the demo with the lights off on my brothers 65" 4K TV. I'm definitely gonna be too much of a little sissy bitch to try and play this through. And I cant see any way at all to tie this to the franchise lore. Okay lore is far too grand a word to describe any Japanese made game the RE story but you get what I mean. I hope this doesn't end up being a case of having a great original idea and just slapping a popular franchise title on it to make it sell.

codo27 fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jun 15, 2016

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I played it, didnt do multiple playthroughs because didnt assume there was much more. Im a horrible bastard that couldnt get into it because it was such a P.T ripoff I couldnt shake he feeling, espicially now so,eone pointed out the subliminal ghost .

I did like the flashback portion but overall I thought it was very uncreative esoicially when it came too what triggered the scary things. Every time a scary thing happened I had picked up an item or was double backing through the map. I hope the final release can learn more from P.T if it is going that route

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Man I've been out of the loop, what the heck is PT? Does it even stand for anything?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

When I was younger I thought it was President Evil. It wasn't until I heard my parents talking about RE2 and asked "if the president is evil why did they elect him?" I found out the real name

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I played it, didnt do multiple playthroughs because didnt assume there was much more. Im a horrible bastard that couldnt get into it because it was such a P.T ripoff I couldnt shake he feeling, espicially now so,eone pointed out the subliminal ghost .

I did like the flashback portion but overall I thought it was very uncreative esoicially when it came too what triggered the scary things. Every time a scary thing happened I had picked up an item or was double backing through the map. I hope the final release can learn more from P.T if it is going that route

Yeah, it's a little predictable, especially when you go upstairs and there are mannequins up against the wall, and you're forced to turn your back to them. I was like "well they will pretty obviously be facing towards me after I check this table out" and sure enough they were. I didn't expect the 4th mannequin that suddenly appeared right around the corner, though :haw:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

StandardVC10 posted:

Man I've been out of the loop, what the heck is PT? Does it even stand for anything?

Just search P.T. Its Playable Teaser, same sort of idea, creepy poo poo in first person.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

StandardVC10 posted:

It just stands for "Playable Teaser." It was a teaser for Silent Hills, which in turn was a collaboration between Kojima and Guillermo del Toro, which would star Norman Reedus.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
re6 had more bad than good, but the melee combat was amazing.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Serious Frolicking posted:

Yes melee combat of which there should be none when facing toxic flesh eating hellspawn

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

codo27 posted:

5 is wildly underrated. Its just the choice of voice actor for Wesker was the single biggest blunder in video games since ET for the Atari. Ah, there you ahh!

I'll fight you. You will not impugn the greatest character in RE :mad:

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

codo27 posted:

Yes melee combat of which there should be none when facing toxic flesh eating hellspawn

Lol.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

codo27 posted:

Uh, so you have a problem with Jake beating a nemesis to death? But really, if you don't want to melee poo poo in re6 (due to having terrible taste) you are only required to do so in like two scenes.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

I want my strong friend Chris to keep punching zombies.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

This is why I was saying we needed a standalone Mercs game so we could just have that combat in a game built for it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Three Cookies posted:

I want my strong friend Chris to keep punching zombies.
And boulders too. gently caress all boulders forever. Useless geological formation.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

American Chris punching rocks just reminds me of Superhero America from Zunzunkyou No Yabou. Sorry I dont know how to link to a certain part within a page. Everyone should read that and then weep and lament for when front page SA had anything any good.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Has anyone made more headway into RE7 teaser or is it still a big ???? once you've grabbed the axe?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Alabaster White posted:

Has anyone made more headway into RE7 teaser or is it still a big ???? once you've grabbed the axe?

there's a loving axe in the teaser!? jesus I thought I made it far before the ending came, apparently not.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

MinibarMatchman posted:

there's a loving axe in the teaser!? jesus I thought I made it far before the ending came, apparently not.

The first playthrough (Start -> Boltcutters -> VHS -> Key -> Ending at front door) is only one possibility. After you know about the secret switch in the fireplace, you can open it early and find a fuse on the box, which powers on a switch on the second floor which leads to a secret attic. After you're up there, there's a photo of an Umbrella helicopter and a phone with a mysterious message, but Family Man kills you after you answer it. There's also some neat fuckery you can do when you're playing in the VHS: check between the fridge and the cabinet with the microwave on it; there's a lockpick hidden way at the back that you can use to open a drawer on the other wall. There's nothing in there, but when you get back to the present you'll find an axe in there. There's also a dummy's finger in the drawer near the stairs that has no known purpose.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Alabaster White posted:

The first playthrough (Start -> Boltcutters -> VHS -> Key -> Ending at front door) is only one possibility. After you know about the secret switch in the fireplace, you can open it early and find a fuse on the box, which powers on a switch on the second floor which leads to a secret attic. After you're up there, there's a photo of an Umbrella helicopter and a phone with a mysterious message, but Family Man kills you after you answer it. There's also some neat fuckery you can do when you're playing in the VHS: check between the fridge and the cabinet with the microwave on it; there's a lockpick hidden way at the back that you can use to open a drawer on the other wall. There's nothing in there, but when you get back to the present you'll find an axe in there. There's also a dummy's finger in the drawer near the stairs that has no known purpose.

Yeah I knew about that fusebox thing and ended it the way you described. Didn't try the other thing yet. I've heard there's even more at some point including a reference to an old character return but I saw nothing yet.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh poo poo there's more to it? I got out the back door and it ended. Guess I'll try it again.

Honestly I didn't think it was too bad or memorable. Seemed like any indie walk around haunted house game. Lots of cliche horror bs. I guess it failed to get me excited for Re7 but I'm not any less interested than I was before. Time to sit back and see how it turns out I guess.

Certainly isn't gonna stick with people like PT imo.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

MinibarMatchman posted:

including a reference to an old character return but I saw nothing yet.

Source? If theres a page out there with all the complete info I wanna see it cause I probably wont play through it again or at least not soon.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Quick aside, the PC port of RE4 is 66% off on Steam this week. Is it worth buying if I already played the gently caress out of it on Gamecube and Wii?

Nicaden
Feb 17, 2012
By the way if you grab the fuse, book it to the phone as fast as possible and don't stop for anything. You'll get a different message on the phone. I discovered this by accident while trying out random stuff like seeing what would happen if I acted before the event triggers.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

C-Euro posted:

Quick aside, the PC port of RE4 is 66% off on Steam this week. Is it worth buying if I already played the gently caress out of it on Gamecube and Wii?

Yes, re4 still rules

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Uh, so you have a problem with Jake beating a nemesis to death? But really, if you don't want to melee poo poo in re6 (due to having terrible taste) you are only required to do so in like two scenes.

I would rather do the rear end-based movement on top of meleeing poo poo. I think a gray site has RE6 for $7 about and I already have RE4 on Steam, and PC RE6 has Mercs unlocked at the start I think.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

NESguerilla posted:

I only recently realized people don't like 5. They changed some stuff and went a more action route with it, but it felt like a progression of 4 so I loved it when it came out. The level design, the production value, the art design all felt in line with where the series was at. Then 6 rolled around and threw everything in the trash. Outside of some decent monster design (that was far outweighed by bad monster design) everything felt wrong about it. The controls suck, the animations suck, the game is butt ugly to look at. Somehow much worse than 5 or even 4 despite it's massive budget. Worst of all the level design is irredeemable. It's just such an unfun game to play.

The thing that bugs me most in the end is just how off it feels. It doesn't feel like part of the same series. At least RE5 for all it's faults felt like they hadn't totally lost touch with RE on a base level. I'm really curious about going back and playing the re release to see how my opinion of it hold up in 2016. I remember it being a flawed but really fun game with the best mercs mode in the series.

RE7 could end up being a straight up walking simulator and I'll probably walk away with a higher opinion than RE6.

I think this is the most insane wrong post I've ever read in my entire life, but the boldest part is a whole new level of what the gently caress. RE6 Mercs is some of the most fun I've ever had in a video game (if played co-cop, which why the gently caress wouldn't you) and RE5's was honestly a little rear end in comparison, while still okay.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Has there been any info released about returning characters?

I think the game would be incredible if it was Billy and Carlos, under fake identities just toolin' around backwoods houses investigating mysterious. Like they're the Scooby Doo gang but the monsters are real. Episodic releases even. Chapter Two: Billy and Carlos run afoul of the Yeti.

Honestly Billy and Carlos toolin' around under fake IDs and combating bio-terror in various locations still fighting the good fight even though they're wanted men is a plot idea I think could have potential to be cool. Then poo poo gets real when Josh LEGEND Stone discovers Billy is still alive and works to hunt him down at all costs because he's pissssssssed over what Billy allegedly did to his countrymen.

Cue a confrontation that turns into a 15 minute QTE suplexing match of extreme proportions inside an aquarium or zoo or something that an outbreak happened in, and Carlos's job is running around frantically suplexing the animals that are getting loose due to all the suplexing.

Suplexes for everyone!

Feel free to cut me a check Capcom.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

LadyPictureShow posted:

Cue a confrontation that turns into a 15 minute QTE suplexing match of extreme proportions inside an aquarium or zoo or something that an outbreak happened in, and Carlos's job is running around frantically suplexing the animals that are getting loose due to all the suplexing.

This but make it straight chain wrestling.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Resident Evil: Asura's Wrath

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Jia posted:

I think this is the most insane wrong post I've ever read in my entire life, but the boldest part is a whole new level of what the gently caress. RE6 Mercs is some of the most fun I've ever had in a video game (if played co-cop, which why the gently caress wouldn't you) and RE5's was honestly a little rear end in comparison, while still okay.

Mercs in RE6 sucked much like everything else in that game sorry.

Edit: serious answer. i hate the controls in that game. I think they are terrible and unfortunately they are present in Mercs. The enemy placement and enemies themselves were incredibly boring to me as well. Mercs didn't have the momentum and frantic pace I was used to. it just felt dull and dead. Furthermore the whole thing just felt like a big contest to see how much melee you could spam to rack up your multiplier.

Full discosure I haven't played RE5 since it came out, but I spent an ungodly amount of hours playing it as well as RE4 and loved every minute of it. I was bored of Mercs in RE6 in a few hours it just sucked. RE6 sucks.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jun 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

LadyPictureShow posted:

Has there been any info released about returning characters?

I think the game would be incredible if it was Billy and Carlos, under fake identities just toolin' around backwoods houses investigating mysterious. Like they're the Scooby Doo gang but the monsters are real. Episodic releases even. Chapter Two: Billy and Carlos run afoul of the Yeti.

Honestly Billy and Carlos toolin' around under fake IDs and combating bio-terror in various locations still fighting the good fight even though they're wanted men is a plot idea I think could have potential to be cool. Then poo poo gets real when Josh LEGEND Stone discovers Billy is still alive and works to hunt him down at all costs because he's pissssssssed over what Billy allegedly did to his countrymen.

Suplexes for everyone!

Feel free to cut me a check Capcom.
I'd play the hell out of this.