Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Coldblooded, Harold

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Spergatory posted:

Elias knew it, man. He saw it from the very beginning. He and Finch, they were just two sides of the same coin.

Game recognize game.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
This ep is astonishingly good in every way.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

So if in alternate no-Machine universe, if Shaw is still getting relevant numbers from a source that is never wrong, this is just leading up to the revelation that the original Samaritan was never scrapped, right?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

raditts posted:

So if in alternate no-Machine universe, if Shaw is still getting relevant numbers from a source that is never wrong, this is just leading up to the revelation that the original Samaritan was never scrapped, right?

Seems pretty obvious, yeah

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

raditts posted:

Well, Samaritan was developed by Harold's friend, right? And in that episode he mentioned that he was working on a product to sell to the government, but they suddenly lost interest, as in another competitor beat him to it (the Machine). Harold doesn't create the Machine, no one is standing in the way of the man who created Samaritan.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

FUSCO WITH YET ANOTHER LIFE SAVING TRICK

CONTINUES TO BE UNBELIEVABLE BADASS

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Wait really?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Greer's death was unsatisfying. I get that he is a true believer and it was fine that Samaritan killed him, but the way they did it was just so meh and kinda stupid. Especially since it failed to kill Harold too.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I liked that he died first because he old

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get Ready for Price Time , Bitch

Huh I did not expect that.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

I liked that he died first because he old

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Hollismason posted:

Huh I did not expect that.

Yeah, I was expecting him to change his mind and unlock Root's upgrades to the machine instead.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Greer died as he lived, running his goddamn mouth until he ran out of oxygen.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I'm assuming the password is Harold's real last name.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I kind of liked the way he went out.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Zaggitz posted:

I'm assuming the password is Harold's real last name.

That's what I assumed too. But that's not the name of a bird, is it?

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Echophonic posted:

Greer died as he lived, running his goddamn mouth until he ran out of oxygen.

lol

raditts posted:

What did Harold even say there? I couldn't make it out?

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Rad Lieutenant posted:

lol

What did Harold even say there? I couldn't make it out?

I believe he said Dashwood

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

raditts posted:

He started doing bird names to honor his dad who had Alzheimer and bird watched with him. There was no reason to think his true last name would be a bird name.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

pik_d posted:

Yeah, I was expecting him to change his mind and unlock Root's upgrades to the machine instead.

Maybe that was part of it? Or upgrade to allow the Machine to take out Samaritan in a real fight in the NSA.

Digital Jedi posted:

I believe he said Dashwood

Google says it's the last name of the main character in Sense and Sensibility which Shaw was reading earlier.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

monster on a stick posted:

Google says it's the last name of the main character in Sense and Sensibility which Shaw was reading earlier.

It's also the book Harold proposed to Grace with, meaning he was TELLING HER HIS REAL NAME WITHOUT HER KNOWING AAAAA THIS SHOW.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
I love that Carter still took down HR.

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!
That whole conversation also shows The Machine knew the password, which means Greer was wrong about Harold.

I really have no idea where we go from here.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

That was such a low budget episode, and yet it was so good. Why they hell are CBS such dicks?

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

WarLocke posted:

<-- Avatar doesn't lie. :v:

;)

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008
I was a bit bummed they couldn't get Taraji Henson back for a short cameo in this episode. :sigh:

Otherwise, great ep, though.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
It seems like they only realized the season was cancelled about half way through. Maybe Blackwall shows up next episode and does a thing, but so far Root could have been killed by the black guy that wasn't in True Detective and it wouldn't have mattered one bit.

Samaritan is in every device, the only way to wipe it out is to EMP everything and have people design circuits from scratch, and hope they don't say "hey this microcode looks more than adequate for our purposes" and it's actually Samaritan.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
My assumption is that both ASIs will be struggling to defend themselves against the virus, and then Harold will release the Machine from it's shackles so it can attack Samaritan while they're equally weakened.

Then, with all ethical constraints removed, The Machine re-ereeree-examines it's priorities, and draws new conclusions.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Or the two ASIs in the Faraday cage in the subway will rebuild.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
The ASIs will merge and call themselves Skynet.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Okay, stream of consciousness post on episode:

You're gonna destroy the internet. Been there, done that. I'm glad that ICE-9 is being referenced as proper.

I sold the world, only I sold it for a dollar.

Oh man what if lifes for everyone. CARTER IS ALIVE WHAT THE poo poo. Fusco done got his life wrecked.

Greer's number! Crew going to Ft Mead. FINCH WITH A GODDAMN TRANQ GUN.

HENRY loving PECK CALLBACK! GONNA GET MURDERED BY SHAW! AND HER PARTNER IS ALIVE!

I can't get over the level of detail they've gone through for the callbacks.
Also is the Machine only Root-Talking to Finch? I wonder what it's goal is for bringing in Reese and Shaw? Emergency Evac for Finch? Stopping him?

OH poo poo IS HE DOING IT. HE'S DOING IT. ICE-9.EXE Goddamn!

BROTHER GODDAMN MUZONE!

OH NO FUSCO

Greer sends chills up my goddamn spine with every loving word.

Samaritan wants a partner! Is it Samaritan the one who wants to merge?

HOLY poo poo GREER. loving DEDICATION. A bit unnecessary, but valid nonetheless! Your machine saved you Harold! Will you still kill it?

John with no Machine :(

Harold run! Give the machine the password and leg it, let hte machine decide. YES FINCH DO IT. BUY BACK THE GODDAMN WORLD.

FUSCO NO! FUSCO YES! FUSCO NO!

Ms. Groves for Samaritan!?!?!? OH NO BAD CODE.

Dashwood?

E: Am I gonna have to read Sense and Sensibility now? I'm not keen on Jane Austin. I also don't want to stop my Iain M Banks Culture marathon.

E2: Also I'm pretty sure this isn't the first time Fusco had a get shot fakeout. I'm pretty sure, way back in like S2/3 there's an episode where Fusco gets shot, everyone panics, and he's just like "You think i'm too stupid to wear a vest when I work with you guys?" Also, Fusco getting shot was a great, nice, sudden bit of violence. They just go from talking to Fusco getting shot, and it's loving great.

Also, to the guy who was just getting caught up last page: You're not the only one the Machine has brought to literal tears. Especially before she really started talking. S4 Finale especially.

SpookyLizard fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jun 15, 2016

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I thought Fusco was gonna be a boss and show that he broke his thumbs to get out of handcuffs again. Fusco still continues to be a boss, though. Reese's alt history was pretty goddamn :smith: though.

stoops
Jun 11, 2001
If Finch dies, i hope he lives on in the machine, where Finch meets Grace at dinner, her being Nathan's wife's friend

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah the impression I got from Reese alternative history was that he drank himself to death.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Hollismason posted:

Yeah the impression I got from Reese alternative history was that he drank himself to death.

Sounded to me like he threw himself off a bridge or something.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

ShakeZula posted:

Sounded to me like he threw himself off a bridge or something.

Reese was on his way to off himself when he got picked up by Finch as it was.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

SpookyLizard posted:

E: Am I gonna have to read Sense and Sensibility now? I'm not keen on Jane Austin. I also don't want to stop my Iain M Banks Culture marathon.

Nah all that matters is that the protag of it has the same last name as Harold which keys into the significance of why he gave Grace Sense and Sensibility when he proposed.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Hollismason posted:

He fell into a depression and threw himself off a bridge. The Machine says his body was pulled out of the East River and then dumped in a numbered grave because he was a John Doe.

e: Beaten, several times over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

In The pilot script iirc is Reese standing in front of a body of water about to jump before he decides not tonight and then goes on the subway that leads to him meeting Finch and Carter. Make of that what you will with how he ended up in the altverse.

• Locked thread