Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe
Really good effort post on the TOS by streetroller.

Mind boggling how eager the faithful are to justify it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Sabreseven posted:

It's like stacking a 2016 game next to a 2005 game, and I think I'm being generous tbh. :)

It's like Oldman is looking at Bloom in abject horror, realizing only too late that he bet on the wrong Dogfighting With FPS In Space game...

(Open on imgur to see the full glory of that COD render-- it's incredible.)

Streetroller
Jun 11, 2016

Sperglord posted:

Streetroller made an awesome post. The change in working is striking, CIG's ToS is written like a hack paralegal made it, not a real lawyer. (Oh, wait...)

Lol, thanks!

To be honest; after looking at a few Terms from different companies, it DOES look like someone just copy-pasted from different companies.
Maybe they plagiarized that too. Like "Oh oh oh, that sounds good, throw it in there"

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

G0RF posted:

It's like Oldman is looking at Bloom in abject horror, realizing only too late that he bet on the wrong Dogfighting With FPS In Space game...

To be honest, they both look like poo poo on my 4k monitor.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

G0RF posted:

no seriously, how the gently caress did IW do that hair in-engine?

atxsperg
Jan 29, 2016

I like cats for their cuddles, but hate the boxes of shit.

Ash1138 posted:

talent.

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016
Quick post on space combat,

Call of Duty appears to have fighters with guns, missiles, and no gimbals. This requires the pilot to turn and chase the target, an engaging process, albeit repetitive.

Star Citizen has space fighters with overpowered thrusters and gimbals. This means that a Star Citizen dogfight can devolve to turreting in space, a disappointing process.

If Star Citizen were to replace a space combat arena game (I know, it's crazy. They could call it Arena Commander or something), the combat there will likely be less engaging than a Call of Duty space fight.

Also, I would be shocked if IW doesn't have space fighter multiplayer. That just fits the new gameplay too well.

Streetroller posted:

Lol, thanks!

To be honest; after looking at a few Terms from different companies, it DOES look like someone just copy-pasted from different companies.
Maybe they plagiarized that too. Like "Oh oh oh, that sounds good, throw it in there"

How has your opinion of CIG changed in the past few days? I'm interested to hear what you think about the company now, now that you've looked into it from the Goon perspective.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

nathan drake hair doesn't even look that good and naughty dog are literally wizzards

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Streetroller posted:

Lol, thanks!

Check the language in the preorders section of the Eternal Crusade TOS (https://www.eternalcrusade.com/tos). I don't know poo poo about TOS but it seems similar to me.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Goobs posted:

I wish catnought was real. I miss him so much it loving sucks. My house seems empty even though my fiance and I live here.

Sorry again, buddy. I only brought that hope so I could maybe get a smile or two out of you.

From one cat buddy to another.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

trucutru posted:

Check the language in the preorders section of the Eternal Crusade TOS (https://www.eternalcrusade.com/tos). I don't know poo poo about TOS but it seems similar to me.

WTF!!! hahaha copy pasta

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

ManofManyAliases posted:

If they're able to deliver SQ42 (or at least some first iteration of it) by Q1 or Q2 of next year, I expect much of those mechanics and assets can be used to complete the PU. Despite Derek's accusations of a skeleton team working on PU, my belief is that with 300 people, they have enough people working on PU to continue it's advancement while SQ42 work is ongoing. That said, I think the majority of the PU focus is on infrastructure right now. So, while engineering lays a basework for PU currently, and as assets and more persistence mechanics are added, the finality of PU won't likely be recognized (read: proven to be ready for an advanced alpha or beta) by the end of next year.

That would mean continued beta testing Q1-2 of 2018, possible RCs by Summer of '18 and Gold release by the end of that year.

Edit: If you subscribe to the notion that development started in 2012-3 (3-4 years), that means that total development time would be 5-6 years. If you say 2012, then 6 years. I don't think that is overly unreasonable given that they essentially would have made 2 games.

IF they had created a proper engine, then all SC42 would be would basically be a scripted expansion pack, not a "whole" game. Or even just a mod. They already have all the 3D assets and the world-building done.

Of course, that is an "if" in the first place.

Streetroller
Jun 11, 2016

Sperglord posted:

How has your opinion of CIG changed in the past few days? I'm interested to hear what you think about the company now, now that you've looked into it from the Goon perspective.

I'm not really looking at it from the "Goon" perspective honestly. I'm just a really busy person IRL.
I dropped money on it, was sold on something... by a specific date... and didn't get it.

I wasn't really paying much attention to it, and then really started to. Every single loving video was just puff pieces and content that didn't loving matter.
I would ask myself "Why is there an art team modelling clothing when ships I paid hundreds for still aren't done"

My eyebrow shot up, started looking into it - trying *really* hard to give the project the benefit of doubt.

Then the customer support labels dropped, and the plagiarism, stuff that can't just be reasoned away.
I knew right then, I was holding a $3000 dollar turd. I felt like a complete loving idiot.
It doesn't even remotely resemble what I pledged for anymore.

My opinion of CIG is that they probably think they'd make more money as a studio developing a game rather than one who's developed one.
I see where it's going. Any company that pushes "shopping" and character customization this hard so soon is gunning to monetize it.
I imagine they're start selling clothing options and hair styles next, for a small fee of $1-5 dollars a piece. That's my "prediction"

It really has and had nothing to do with Goons, or Derek.
I'm just not being an idiot anymore.

Deedrix
Jun 6, 2016

"Give me money and I'll give you shit in return."
CIG ToS

EminusSleepus posted:

WTF!!! hahaha copy pasta

https://www.eternalcrusade.com/tos
http://imgur.com/a/Ov1Tt

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

ManofManyAliases posted:

What do you mean come from? 115 million raised from crowdfunding. Likely a similar (ok - let's say even half that) amount of private investment; any number of grants for small businesses (hence some of the smaller entities still in existence) and tax incentives in different states and countries.

You said yourself the funding tracker was simulated and included their other their funding sources. They do not have $115m of backer dollars; there are not enough idiots in the ranks to be giving CIG 40-100k a day every drat day.

There is mass disillusionment and the gray market has collapsed. They have much less money than you think, and have been showing that in their behavior since last October (referral program with minimum dollar spend, limited un-melt tokens forcing fresh cash, 60+ unfilled job positions for many months, much smaller early alpha test groups to reduce bandwidth overhead, focusing on CLOTHES SHOPPING and ship cooldown/UEC sinks in the PU).

Their backer cash flow has dried up and with it their ability to borrow enough money to run this insanely expensive farce.

Chris has been running this project full bore pissing money into the wind because he couldn't fathom it taking more than 18 months longer than he originally planned. He was so confident that he set a TOS to entitle backers to a financial audit and refunds if he failed to deliver to such a catastrophic degree. He has failed and they do not have enough money to get to an MVP that is not a humiliation to Roberts. They will get bought out or implode suddenly.

:lesnick::sandance:

Deedrix
Jun 6, 2016

CIG ToS

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

oh wait this is what I meant to post

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Item 1 is SC and Item 2 is EC

Highlighted words are indicative of words not found in both texts.

BogDew fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jun 15, 2016

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Goobs posted:

my eyes are leaky <3

Really sorry to hear about Kitsa :(

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Sorry about your cat, Goobs. Always heartbreaking to be there at the end.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
aren't there alot of standardized terms/clauses that lawyers use for contracts? "boilerplate" stuff?

fnox
May 19, 2013

G0RF posted:

I like how Parpy Oldman is supposed to have a cloth uniform, but since the geometry is entirely smooth it looks like its literally made out of a plastic mold he's just sticking his head out of.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

trucutru posted:

But... big publishers!

The funny thing about big publishers is that they are publishers. They are also big. They got big by publishing lots of things. Whatever else you might think of them, this queer fact means that they're a hellalot more trustworth as far as delivering a product than a guy whose largest claim to fame is being kicked out of two separate industries for failure to deliver.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Ash1138 posted:

Looks like nVidia's Majestic HairWorks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IltIVf_TeFg

Lemon King fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jun 15, 2016

Streetroller
Jun 11, 2016

A Neurotic Jew posted:

aren't there alot of standardized terms/clauses that lawyers use for contracts? "boilerplate" stuff?

Yes and no, at CIG's level, they should have a full time litigation attorney help guide them to create a terms sheet specific to their requirements.
Eternal Crusade's tos is definitely violating consumer law in the UK, with the added irony that they're based in the UK.

I don't know if they've refused refunds of thousands of dollars though, which is where the scrutiny originates.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Streetroller posted:

I'm not really looking at it from the "Goon" perspective honestly. I'm just a really busy person IRL.
I dropped money on it, was sold on something... by a specific date... and didn't get it.

I wasn't really paying much attention to it, and then really started to. Every single loving video was just puff pieces and content that didn't loving matter.
I would ask myself "Why is there an art team modelling clothing when ships I paid hundreds for still aren't done"

My eyebrow shot up, started looking into it - trying *really* hard to give the project the benefit of doubt.

Then the customer support labels dropped, and the plagiarism, stuff that can't just be reasoned away.
I knew right then, I was holding a $3000 dollar turd. I felt like a complete loving idiot.
It doesn't even remotely resemble what I pledged for anymore.

My opinion of CIG is that they probably think they'd make more money as a studio developing a game rather than one who's developed one.
I see where it's going. Any company that pushes "shopping" and character customization this hard so soon is gunning to monetize it.
I imagine they're start selling clothing options and hair styles next, for a small fee of $1-5 dollars a piece. That's my "prediction"

It really has and had nothing to do with Goons, or Derek.
I'm just not being an idiot anymore.

that is a high price for a lesson to learn.

how is your refund request ?

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Okay there has got to be a reason why the Eternal Crusade TOS and Star Citizen TOS are carbon copies of each other because that's too much to believe. Like, surely it's not straight up plagiarism, surely they modified the same legal writing from a firm or something specializing in game terms of services.

Streetroller
Jun 11, 2016

EminusSleepus posted:

that is a high price for a lesson to learn.

how is your refund request ?

Ignored for days.

Richie Stardust
Mar 30, 2016

fnox posted:

I like how Parpy Oldman is supposed to have a cloth uniform, but since the geometry is entirely smooth it looks like its literally made out of a plastic mold he's just sticking his head out of.

Ever since you pointed that out, it looks like its literally made out of a plastic mold he's just sticking his head out of.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Justin Tyme posted:

Okay there has got to be a reason why the Eternal Crusade TOS and Star Citizen TOS are carbon copies of each other because that's too much to believe. Like, surely it's not straight up plagiarism, surely they modified the same legal writing from a firm or something specializing in game terms of services.

It's probably like a legalzoom $60 "MMO Starter" terms of service or something.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I missed a bunch.

What is this AMD thing about?

Did Sandi actually tweet from E3..? What the gently caress?

How did this TOS from Eternal Crusade even get noticed?

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Sperglord posted:

It was applied for an incompressible, viscous gaseous flow, so it can work for liquids. The paper is:

Reduced Order Modeling of Turbulent Flows Using Statistical Coarse-Graining
AIAA 2016-3640

Thank you very much!

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Ash1138 posted:

Working on it. Heh. Heh. Heh. No hairworks, cause we need to be cross-card compatible, but...

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Sappo569 posted:

I missed a bunch.

What is this AMD thing about?

How did this TOS from Eternal Crusade even get noticed?

The AMD thing is this

quote:

AMD dude who is part the AMD game promo thing posted:
We're partnered with them [CIG], of course. We are. It's four months before E3 and we're getting our PC showcase set up. We're reaching out to get demos, sizzle reels, all kinds of different promo stuff. We hear back from a lot of people; there's some new stuff, new games, new partners, all that. Absent is a response from CIG.

Someone else here handles all that, she's calling and calling thinking there's some mistake or she's not getting through to the right people. It's now three months until the PC Gamer showcase and there's nothing on the table from CIG. She's trying to set up a conf call or a face to face with CIG and there's nothing solid set up.

She finally talks to someone over there and is assured we'll get a slice of scripted gameplay and some cutscene stuff with the big name A listers on the project. E3 is what, six weeks away? Maybe seven at this point.

A week later what we get a package with a disc, no explanation, table of contents, nothing. On it, there's nothing new, [its] a mashup of all their previous trailers. It's not even cut differently. We have the Hamil one, the Oldman speech, some fighters shooting things and some FPS segments that were lifted straight out of the last con they did. They're all just dumped into a "Promo" folder on a blu-ray.

She's thinking this is a mistake, they sent us the wrong material -- easy mistake to make, you throw in an old disc instead of the one you just cut, it got handled differently, an intern misunderstood what we wanted, whatever. So she calls them up again, no response, emails, nothing.

Two weeks later we get what is referred to around here as the "Letter." Capital "L" letter. The email is addressed to everyone high up at AMD, not even the gaming guys but the chip designers and the heads of departments. The PDF attachment is a rambling statement from Chris about how we're pushing him into something he doesn't think is necessary, he has a vision and that it's "too important" to be disrespected like this.

The decision was made to drop them from the show after that. Probably from our partnership as well, but that's above my head.

Which is complete heresay, but rings true. So people are trying to find that letter if it was actually sent company wide at AMD. Basically a private, even worse version of the escapist letter where Chris Roberts shits on the idea of E3 and his partnership with AMD. Which would definitely influence their funding even more than this cartoonishly evil TOS.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Streetroller posted:

Ignored for days.

that is crap, have you thought of selling you ships?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sperglord posted:

So, I read the paper, and it isn't that interesting or well-written, the authors are not good English speakers at all. The issue that is being researched is the impact of small particles on the head of a hypersonic vehicle. A rain droplet becomes a nasty impactor when a vehicle is travelling at 5 - 6 km/s, ICBM re-entry speed. I've seen Gun-Tunnel images of the miniature impact craters caused by these droplets on ICBM test articles. In the article, the authors studied the impact rate of particles on hypersonic vehicles over a range of test conditions. What they didn't realize, but discovered, was that particle impact rate is driven by particle response time. From basic fluid flows, gas entering a shock wave is turned and flows around a body. A particle will impact that body only when the particle doesn't respond fast enough to the fluid turn. The particle response is a function of: particle mass (increases response time) and fluid density (decreases response time). Lastly, a smaller nose radius will decrease impact, because the particle has a greater time to turn. The authors basically rediscovered particle response time behavior without realizing it.

The most interesting talk was a presentation from ONERA about the conceptual design of an Anti-Drone Drone. This research is motivated by the increased used of hobby drones, which can be repurposed into a terrorist attack method. The French team investigated using a drone, equipped with a net and a radio jammer, to intercept an incoming quad-copter. The talk was less interesting for what they did, which was to run simulations on different threat scenarios and drone response, than for the overall problem. The French team wants to build a fully autonomous interceptor drone, to supplement a ground based detection system. The autonomous system has to respond in under three minutes and be able to intercept everything from a hobbyist flying near-by to a Quadcopter making a bee-line for a target. Present quadcopter technology wasn't enough to stop a drone making a high-speed (28 m/s) run to the target. Worse, as a questioner noted, hobbyists are building faster and faster drones. I expect to see a serious effort to build a high-speed interceptor Anti-Drone Drone in the near future.k

Interesting, thanks.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

Sappo569 posted:

Come on, we all knew that "CRobbers got no time/other business duties/needs holiday/insert BS reason here" so they quit E3 always was a cop out.
They just have nothing to show from SQ42 so they try to rescue whatever they claim they had to Gamescom. It is all about winning time to cover their incompetence.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
GameInformer offers many, many pages of jaw dropping stills in the digital edition.

One detail from the article - there is a robot soldier and companion in the campaign. And I, for one, am excited about it.

GameInformer posted:

ETH.3n, or "Enhanced Tactical Humanoid 3rd Revision" is a robot soldier with speed, power and defenses that human troops just can't match. What separates him from the horders of retrofitted miner bots and other assault robots that the Settlement Defense Front has under its command is that he's one of a kind - a tactical solider bot programmed to have human responses and emotions to every situation. ETH.3n grows with the team and individually, even though he's not really accepted at first (especially by the old-school troopers like Omar.)

I expect he sacrifices his life for his fellow soldiers at the end of the campaign - Big Hero 6 style - and despite the trope-iness of it, millions of gamers will weep manly tears when that moment comes. Including you, you cynics.

You've been warned.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Um, program more. That is so corny lol. HIS POSITRONIC STAR TREK BRAIN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deedrix
Jun 6, 2016

CIG ToS

Fun fact: CIG's offices are 21 minutes from E3

• Locked thread