Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Jsor posted:

To me, the weapon durability and cooking looks like it's probably their attempt to answer "what am I doing minute to minute?" Like, yeah, you're travelling from shrine to town to dungeon with some vague goals, but they put those in to prevent the open world from being too empty, because you can always kill a boar or take down a camp to get a chest or whatever.

The shrines giving orbs means that to get some new things you'll need to get more orbs which could help with that as well as long as the orb cost doesn't get too high

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I still can't get over Wolf Buddy Link. Or Bill blowing himself up, or Chico... being Chico.

I love feeling this hyped for a Zelda game again.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Was it answered if we could ride wolf link

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Calaveron posted:

I dig the old guy aping the nes old guy esthetic.

I want to believe he's the human version of Kaepora Gaebora. :allears:

He just reminds me of him.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lessail posted:

The shrines giving orbs means that to get some new things you'll need to get more orbs which could help with that as well as long as the orb cost doesn't get too high

I missed the part of the stream where they explain what orbs are. I saw how you get them--what do you use them for?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Harrow posted:

I missed the part of the stream where they explain what orbs are. I saw how you get them--what do you use them for?

In the demo they're what you need to get the parachute from the old man, but they kept hinting at some other purpose they have without saying anything.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
i was at work all day so are there any archives of the stream yet i can catch up with

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Harrow posted:

They didn't say. In the demo you complete the four shrines on the plateau and receive the paraglider. In the main game they implied they're used for something else.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Suspicious Dish posted:

i was at work all day so are there any archives of the stream yet i can catch up with

All on their YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Nintendo/videos

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Interesting.

I think my fear with the orbs is that they'll be glorified experience points. I really hope that the way you get heart containers and stuff is entirely by exploring and finding those specific things, rather than amassing orbs and buying them. Fundamentally I'm sure it's basically the same--explore, do a mini-challenge, work towards an upgrade--but I find it more satisfying to go hunt down upgrades specifically rather than hunting down upgrade currency.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
The Nintendo Treehouse ladies are really entertaining, they're not doing the hyperactive thing youtube streamers do and they're not doing fake gamer dialogue like other E3 presentations. Dunno how much time they had to practice, probably lots, but she's actually really good at playing the game while talking about it, and they keep pointing out really cool little details.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Chico is a very powerful gamer.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
lol more open world poo poo.

Just give me 6-8 dungeons and some cool items and stop wasting time on pants selection menus

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I most of all like that Nintendo doesn't feel the need to do the absolute garbage fake gaming multiplayer conversations over footage like Ubisoft

Just have people playing and talking about it and sometimes they're awkward or things go wrong or they slip up but who cares

It's so much better

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

gannyGrabber posted:

lol more open world poo poo.

Just give me 6-8 dungeons and some cool items and stop wasting time on pants selection menus

Counterpoint: the actual gameplay is loving rad this time around and it looks like they programmed in a lot of cool interactions you can do. Also survival Zelda sounds kinda fun. I like that Link has to put on a jacket if he goes somewhere cold or he shivers and takes cold damage. And I'd argue this degree of openness and the focus on exploration over being funneled from dungeon to dungeon makes it truer to the original Zelda than any Zelda after it and that's kind of exciting.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Open world with actual good combat mechanics seems like a good idea to me and it seems like that's what we're getting so far.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Just give me Shadow of Hyrule and let me explore and merc groups of moblins in sicknasty ways imo

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm as tired of thoughtless open worlds as the next jaded gamer, but I think the key is that this one seems like it might actually justify its own existence.

Which is more than I can say for my expectations for Watch_Dogs 2. Or even Horizon: Zero Dawn, a game that so far looks really fun but every piece of gameplay we've seen has been a carefully-crafted vertical slice so I'm skeptical of all of it right now.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Regy Rusty posted:

I most of all like that Nintendo doesn't feel the need to do the absolute garbage fake gaming multiplayer conversations over footage like Ubisoft

Just have people playing and talking about it and sometimes they're awkward or things go wrong or they slip up but who cares

It's so much better

I think the main thing is that Nintendo sets aside these 30 minute blocks for each game (when they're not doing Zelda all day, I mean), so if something goes a little wrong they have time to react to it. The E3 demoes are super overpolished because you can't really have a "natural" multiplayer session come off well in the 3-5 minutes they give you, and if something goes wrong, it's hard to get back on track. Nintendo just has vague goals like "show off this shrine" or "show off hunting", while the other ones need to show off the "essence" of a game in 5 minutes or less. They used to have real gameplay at E3, and things often went off the rails, but it was a lot worse due to the time constraints, and always a source of mockery for viewers. It's understandable why they switched to it, but it's always executed atrociously.

There are some advantages to the press conference format too, in terms of discoverability of new games (you may not tune into a 30 minute stream of StupidGame Deluxe, but if you see it in a trailer during a 2 hour press conference then you may give it a shot), but I think that's what Nintendo's usual 30 minute "digital event" is meant to solve. A quick whizz-bang of games that they'll show off later.

Gamer With Dignity
May 15, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
This game is going to make a lot of money because Minecraft.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It's going to make a lot of money because it's Zelda.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
It'll make a lot of money 'cause it doesn't look like microwaved garbage, unlike most of E3.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Gamer With Dignity posted:

This game is going to make a lot of money because Minecraft.

What the heck does this have to do with minecraft?! :psyduck:

You can't dig or place blocks, not the same thing at all. Its much closer to Skyrim than anything.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

It'll make money because it will be the first Elder Scrolls game I ever complete.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Rime posted:

It'll make a lot of money 'cause it doesn't look like microwaved garbage, unlike most of E3.

Sony's stuff mostly didn't look like garbage, granted they didn't exactly give us much to go on.

E: My favorite part of Microsoft's conference was the message that everything I wanted I can also buy on my PC so I don't need their lovely console.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
I like how you don't have to go through the lengthy chest opening animation that's been in place since Ocarina. I don't like how they still seem to be filling chests with arrows and junk. I'm not sure how I feel about the distinct lack of rupees.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RVWinkle posted:

I like how you don't have to go through the lengthy chest opening animation that's been in place since Ocarina. I don't like how they still seem to be filling chests with arrows and junk. I'm not sure how I feel about the distinct lack of rupees.

We know there'll be towns, but they weren't in the E3 demo, so maybe that's why no rupees showed up (nothing to do with them yet).

I do hope they keep what you find in chests interesting, though. There's a danger of filling them with too much samey crap and arrows and dulling the excitement of finding one.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

^^ Hopefully they'll do the thing where chest design increases in elaborateness as the contents' value increases, so as to temper your expectations accordingly

RVWinkle posted:

Rupees are mentioned in a couple of items, as in "trade this for rupees", so they will probably appear.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

The old guy is gonna be the king, or ganondorf :tinfoil:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Amppelix posted:

^^ Hopefully they'll do the thing where chest design increases in elaborateness as the contents' value increases, so as to temper your expectations accordingly

Yeah, that kind of thing definitely helps.

There were hints of an almost Diablo-like loot system, too, which is a little surprising. During one of the parts of the stream they found a bow with a +3 Power modifier on it and someone said that there are other versions of the same Traveler's Bow to find with other powers. I'm not clear on whether the loot was random or if it's all pre-generated, which makes some difference there, but that's a surprising move for a Zelda game.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The menu screen had a rupee counter

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Complaining about Zelda of all things being openworld is bizarre; the series has been criticized for years for becoming more restrictive and linear in structure as it's worn on, culminating in Skyward Sword dropping all pretense of being a grand adventure and just plopping you down in three entirely separate fetchquest and minigame zones.

Motto fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jun 15, 2016

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Is there a big list of everything revealed about the game so far?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Is there a big list of everything revealed about the game so far?

NeoGAF has a list in their thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1233823

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

mabels big day posted:

What if they were the same person the entire time after but split apart after Ocarina like a Piccolo?

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Neat

mabels big day posted:

what if

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

From that thread:

quote:

Here's the area of the map they've shown this entire time.

This is where you begin, the tutorial area.
Then from there you can jump in any areas that surround it, yes any!

Here's a bit zoomed out.

Here's the entire (?) map.

:asoiaf:

With how balls to the wall they're going, this might be the Final Zelda. :tinfoil:

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

smell this posted:

Neat

what if

Ah, that explains why he knows about the iShiekah. He used its digital camera feature for his pictures!

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH

Rime posted:

From that thread:

:asoiaf:

With how balls to the wall they're going, this might be the Final Zelda. :tinfoil:

For that entire (?) map, during the stream the person playing scrolled that map around a bit and there was more stuff to the north. Not a whole lot, necessarily, but still more stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
In the intro, Link's clothes are described as being a little small, as if he's grown a little. Not surprising given he's been out for 100 years (though you think he'd not grow at all, but whatever). The voice also mentions that Hyrule needs him to be its light again. This could be a reference to The Hero in general, but it makes me seriously wonder if this is a former child Link who has already saved Hyrule grown up. I'd guess WW or ST's because of Koroks, where this is Hyrule with the great sea finally drained.

E: Alternatively, it could be an AoL sequel, given the general "Zelda One-ness" of the design, Link looking sort of like ALTTP Link, and the barrenness of Hyrule. We don't really know what that timeline would look like in 3D, and Koroks could just be for fun.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jun 15, 2016