Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Jsor posted:

In the intro, Link's clothes are described as being a little small, as if he's grown a little. Not surprising given he's been out for 100 years (though you think he'd not grow at all, but whatever). The voice also mentions that Hyrule needs him to be its light again. This could be a reference to The Hero in general, but it makes me seriously wonder if this is a former child Link who has already saved Hyrule grown up. I'd guess WW or ST's because of Koroks, where this is Hyrule with the great sea finally drained.

E: Alternatively, it could be an AoL sequel, given the general "Zelda One-ness" of the design, Link looking sort of like ALTTP Link, and the barrenness of Hyrule. We don't really know what that timeline would look like in 3D, and Koroks could just be for fun.

After 100 years without a hero in Hyrule, I just wonder what Ganon's up to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rime posted:

From that thread:

:asoiaf:

With how balls to the wall they're going, this might be the Final Zelda. :tinfoil:

You're missing the two important images there, so we'll just have to take your word for it.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Jsor posted:

In the intro, Link's clothes are described as being a little small, as if he's grown a little. Not surprising given he's been out for 100 years (though you think he'd not grow at all, but whatever). The voice also mentions that Hyrule needs him to be its light again. This could be a reference to The Hero in general, but it makes me seriously wonder if this is a former child Link who has already saved Hyrule grown up. I'd guess WW or ST's because of Koroks, where this is Hyrule with the great sea finally drained.

E: Alternatively, it could be an AoL sequel, given the general "Zelda One-ness" of the design, Link looking sort of like ALTTP Link, and the barrenness of Hyrule. We don't really know what that timeline would look like in 3D, and Koroks could just be for fun.

It'd be so cool if you found the Wind Waker hero tunic and just wore the ill-fitting outfit in the final confrontation

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

fivegears4reverse posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxI2ARk0wZM

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
Link's probably really hungry after that 100 year nap, too. Hungry enough to eat an octorok, maybe?

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Koroks are my friends.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

i'm glad they exist here

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
I thought the weapon durability system might be a pain in the rear end, but after watching it I really really dig it

This comparison might seem out there, but I get strong Hotline Miami vibes from the whole thing. They have the right level of "disposability" while still being vital and useful, and I imagine it'll encourage players to be aggressive and opportunistic - which is also a recent trend in action games

I'm concerned with how they'll handle a permanent weapons. To go back to Hotline Miami, the 'dance of weapons' was a lot less vital when you had a Tony mask and your fists were a source of permanent OHKO. Perhaps the master sword is so rusted and damaged it'll continuously break and you need to use your special Sheikah iPhone to time-magic it back together

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
I hope in this game you can kiss Zelda.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I hope in this game you can kiss Zelda.

Regardless of if you're Link or girl Link, Linkle.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SirPenguin posted:

I thought the weapon durability system might be a pain in the rear end, but after watching it I really really dig it

This comparison might seem out there, but I get strong Hotline Miami vibes from the whole thing. They have the right level of "disposability" while still being vital and useful, and I imagine it'll encourage players to be aggressive and opportunistic - which is also a recent trend in action games

I'm concerned with how they'll handle a permanent weapons. To go back to Hotline Miami, the 'dance of weapons' was a lot less vital when you had a Tony mask and your fists were a source of permanent OHKO. Perhaps the master sword is so rusted and damaged it'll continuously break and you need to use your special Sheikah iPhone to time-magic it back together

Considering ancient technology is a big part of the game by the looks of it, I'd wager it'll escalate to keeping a decent permanent weapon but finding some ancient version that's much stronger and only good for a few hits before breaking.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
I hope you can kiss Ganon

i hope you can kiss the old man

Kiss that horse too

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Controlling the Fire Nation.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I don't know how I feel about all these new aspects to Zelda. Cooking food, crafting, wearing appropriate clothing for the climate you are in. Game will be amazing, but this new stuff just seems so odd to me.

Also, these fuckers are going to make me get Twilight Princess to get wold link aren't they?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Nahxela posted:

Koroks are my friends.

Same.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Astro7x posted:

I don't know how I feel about all these new aspects to Zelda. Cooking food, crafting, wearing appropriate clothing for the climate you are in. Game will be amazing, but this new stuff just seems so odd to me.

Also, these fuckers are going to make me get Twilight Princess to get wold link aren't they?

You'd best do it sooner rather than later now that everyone's seen what it unlocks, otherwise you'll probably be fighting for one.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

Astro7x posted:

There was one part of the stream where they were trying to pick up a skeleton arm with a full inventory. For about a full minute there was a brief period of inventory screen hell as they tried to discard a weapon to make room only to accidentally pick it back up and repeat. It was a mess, and I had a brief pang of panic where I thought, "man, are we sure we want a Zelda game where you need to juggle an inventory?"

They showed off enough cool poo poo that I think they deserve the benefit of the doubt that these systems will all click together, but yeah, it's an awful lot of new stuff at once to a series that has been fairly even keeled for the last decade and a half

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I really like how stuff far in the background blurs a bit when you're in a fight. It really helps to focus in on the immediate action.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Have a wallpaper

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Breakable gear is a bit weird. Especially since, presumably, you'll end up getting the master sword at some point which obviously won't be breakable. Wouldn't surprise me if they make it straight up better than any of the degradable stuff.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Wouldn't be surprised if the Master Sword was stronger than the typical breakable weapons, but then you'll have stuff like Giant's Knife/Sword which'll be breakable, but stronger than the Master Sword.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

PantsBandit posted:

Breakable gear is a bit weird. Especially since, presumably, you'll end up getting the master sword at some point which obviously won't be breakable. Wouldn't surprise me if they make it straight up better than any of the degradable stuff.

On a meta-level, I wonder if this is going to be the Breath of the Wild equivalent of the rented items in Link Between Worlds. Basically, you can find crappy and breakable versions of any item you want anywhere in the world, but each dungeon gives you a good, non-breakable version of one of the game's main items. It would allow you to do the dungeons in any order while still making you legitimately stronger with each one.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Rocketlex posted:

On a meta-level, I wonder if this is going to be the Breath of the Wild equivalent of the rented items in Link Between Worlds. Basically, you can find crappy and breakable versions of any item you want anywhere in the world, but each dungeon gives you a good, non-breakable version of one of the game's main items. It would allow you to do the dungeons in any order while still making you legitimately stronger with each one.

That would actually be really cool. If you had a sort of "legendary" version of the two handed sword, club, spear, whatever, then it wouldn't feel like 90% of the weapon types aren't worth using. And you could use the breakable items when you just feel like experimenting.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Infinitum posted:

Have a wallpaper

Look, Nintendo, just give us the pretty painted artwork, don't cram a logo onto it. You did the same drat thing for the Majora's Mask ones :sigh:.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

According to this article it's possible to beat the game without actually finishing the story

http://www.polygon.com/e3/2016/6/15/11942652/legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-ending

That's pretty wild for a Zelda. I guess it implies that story content and "main thread" content are very different from each other. Hard to wrap my head around that unless the story is heavily tied to the shrines whereas the main thread ("Kill Ganon"?) is tied to the dungeons?

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

SirPenguin posted:

According to this article it's possible to beat the game without actually finishing the story

http://www.polygon.com/e3/2016/6/15/11942652/legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-ending

That's pretty wild for a Zelda. I guess it implies that story content and "main thread" content are very different from each other. Hard to wrap my head around that unless the story is heavily tied to the shrines whereas the main thread ("Kill Ganon"?) is tied to the dungeons?

I hope there are multiple endings depending on how many dungeons you've completed, and then the official timeline gets split off like thirty different ways from this game.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I'm a little sad that the towns and NPCs (other than Old Man) were removed for the demos, but I can get behind preserving some secrecy.

I really can't get over how great this all looks. I'm really hoping that we get more info in the 9 months between now and the NX launch.

PS: My favorite Zelda game givin' me wolf DLC is just so good.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I'm a little sad that the towns and NPCs (other than Old Man) were removed, but I can get behind preserving some secrecy.

I really can't get over how great this all looks. I'm really hoping that we get more info in the 9 months between now and the NX launch.

PS: My favorite Zelda game givin' me wolf DLC is just so good.

Towns and NPC's exist, they're just not in the e3 build.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Look, Nintendo, just give us the pretty painted artwork, don't cram a logo onto it. You did the same drat thing for the Majora's Mask ones :sigh:.

Grab the press kit then
http://nintendo.e3press.com/Event

User: Nintendo
Pass: ZeldaE32016

Download away

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
will this game have long rear end dungeons

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZL6YHLwn9M

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Charlie Bobson posted:

One of the game's unknown quantities at this point is what the regular dungeons are like.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Charlie Bobson posted:

It has regular dungeons + 100 shrine mini-dungeons.

The game looks absolutely gigantic.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

SirPenguin posted:

This Link is the type of hero to just book it to Dagoth Ur's place without even going through all the proper story threads. He doesn't have TIME for that poo poo so he shield-boards up a volcano.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
The dungeons are very long and related to the towns. In fact, they're actual dungeons this time. To get into them you have to break the law.

Unfortunately, they're just normal dungeons and you have to spend literal real-life hours sitting in your cell and thinking about what you've done.

This is required for story progress.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Watching other people's reactions to the demo, I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed how similar this game's opening is to the start of the new Doom.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

SirPenguin posted:

That's a dumb way of wording it on Polygon's part. When you read Aonuma's statement, it's just that some of the content that sheds light on the story is optional.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rocketlex posted:

Watching other people's reactions to the demo, I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed how similar this game's opening is to the start of the new Doom.

"...Open your eyes..."

"...Now... RIP AND TEAR!"

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

"...Open your eyes..."

"...Now... RIP AND TEAR!"

*The Sheikah Slate begins to explain the mechanics of the game to Link*

*Link punches the screen*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013

Infinitum posted:

It has regular dungeons + 100 shrine mini-dungeons.

The game looks absolutely gigantic.

shoot I'll take that