Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I pussied out and just wrote that I'm ambidextrous and can write upside-down and backwards at the same time :smith:

New job seems like it's going to be busy as gently caress. I knew that going in but I didn't realize the magnitude of the work load ($300k alone in billable time that I'm accountable for over the next 2 months). Fortunately they told me in the interview that they would be hiring junior engineers that I can pass the buck to on configuration/installation and they seem to be at least phone screening them so hopefully this doesn't mean I'll be busting my rear end doing everything the entire time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
This thread can hold me to it, but if I ever need to provide a personal quote for anything, it will be:

"I am the rocks of the eternal shore; crash upon me and be broken."

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Sepist posted:

"fun fact"

Did... did we just hire you?

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
If you see that fun fact in a company wide email then yea but we're probably not the only place doing that

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Did... did we just hire you?

Ha, we had the opposite once. Someone stormed out and quit on the spot causing a little drama so the next day HR pops out an E-mail that [person] had left the business, yada yada.

Then one of the field reps pops up using reply-all "Who was [person]?"
Classy.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

The Windows desktop team wants to install SCCM on all our Red Hat systems lmao

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

alg posted:

put it in a Docker container

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Vulture Culture posted:

put it in a Docker container

With reactOS

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

alg posted:

Install SCCM literally everywhere tbqh

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sepist posted:

I thought that post about the guy starting a new job and having to provide a quote was dumb, so of course my new job also says I should provide a "fun fact" for the new hire announcement. I don't think "fucks bitches and routes packets" can be used

I realize we all get worked up about font choices here, but is this really such a burden? My current and previous job did this and the first time I said something about beer and at this job my "fun fact" was that I like baseball a lot (haha, joke's on them because when I start yammering about advanced stats it's fun for nobody.)

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

alg posted:

This can only go well...

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Maybe they meant the SCCM SQL database :v:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Install SCCM literally everywhere tbqh

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

oops http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/06/database-corruption-erases-100000-air-force-investigation-records/

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I love it, they got the z-squad from lockheed martin to maintain this no-bid contract to manage this and can't unfuck it.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
I finally started my new job yesterday; I officially work in IT now. :toot:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lilli posted:

Why would you do such a silly thing

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Lilli posted:

The increase in pay outweighs the increase in alcohol budget.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Why would you do such a silly thing

Because I used to work in sales. :suicide:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Lilli posted:

Congrats on the new job and welcome to the fold! Tell us more!

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Lilli posted:

I'm sorry for your loss. Goondolences.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lilli posted:

Because I used to work in sales. :suicide:

By choice, or because of a misinforming job offer like the one that snared me?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I'll never understand why people want to pretend that IT work is this special circle of hell when by and large it's overpaid, reasonably cushy, and low stakes outside of the same personal stake everyone has in their job.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

NippleFloss posted:

I'll never understand why people want to pretend that IT work is this special circle of hell when by and large it's overpaid, reasonably cushy, and low stakes outside of the same personal stake everyone has in their job.
Because it's like 90% white middle-class libertarian suburbanites, the only truly oppressed class in America.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

NippleFloss posted:

Because it's fun.

Welcome to HELL! :unsmigghh:

IT is actually pretty awesome. It pays well, it's interesting work and it isn't physically harmful as long as you make sure to take breaks to stand up and walk around every so often.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
The only job I am ever jealous of is my friend who sells private jet flights for a living. Guy flies all over the world on jets for free posting pictures of resorts and poo poo.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

NippleFloss posted:

it's overpaid and cushy? In comparison to what?

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Vulture Culture posted:

Congrats on the new job and welcome to the fold! Tell us more!

It's nothing special, its just tier 1 help desk work, but the job came with a clearance and since I live in the DC area that should open quite a few doors for me. Doubly so since its my first work experience in the field that I can really put on my resume.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

By choice, or because of a misinforming job offer like the one that snared me?

Desperation via student loans (it was a professional position and paid decently, but gently caress I hated the work).

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

NippleFloss posted:

Normally I feel I subscribe to your newsletter, but I disagree that IT is generally overpaid. There are some people who are overpaid, but by and large I think IT staff bring value to organizations and they are compensated for that value. On occasion, they get a "happiness" premium because of the damage they can do to a business, but by and large I think most IT employees are fairly compensated for their value.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I love my lovely overpaid cushy job.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Tab8715 posted:

How about in comparison to literally every other service industry job

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
poop

Chickenwalker fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Sep 23, 2018

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

anthonypants posted:

Go on?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

anthonypants posted:

Office jobs are better than service industry jobs? Thank you for this amazing revelation!

:getout:

If IT is overpaid then so is every other skilled trade. Basically I am paid to drink and know things.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jun 15, 2016

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

adorai posted:

Normally I feel I subscribe to your newsletter, but I disagree that IT is generally overpaid. There are some people who are overpaid, but by and large I think IT staff bring value to organizations and they are compensated for that value. On occasion, they get a "happiness" premium because of the damage they can do to a business, but by and large I think most IT employees are fairly compensated for their value.

You're paid

adorai posted:

You're compensated in relation to your responsibilities. Those in IT may not provide value or drive the business but posses a ton of responsibility.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Sickening posted:

Office jobs are better than service industry jobs? Thank you for this amazing revelation!

If IT is overpaid then so is every other skilled trade. Basically I am paid to drink and know things.
I guess I forgot to mention massively inflated self-importance in that post earlier. IT is safely within the realm of the service industry. It is laughable to call IT a skilled trade and it diminishes the work that actual skilled laborers perform in literally the same way that people plaster the title Engineer onto every minor position.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Tab8715 posted:

I would wager that most people posting in this thread make more than the median HOUSEHOLD income in the US. They also don't destroy their bodies with manual labor or routinely put in 70 or 80 hour week, or work two jobs to make ends meet. The median US household income is about $54,000 dollars a year. The median salary for a systems administrator is probably somewhere between $60k and $75k. And that's a fresh system administrator with minimal experience. Those numbers get up near six figures for people who have been in the field for a while. I struggle to think of another field where you can earn that much money without a post-graduate degree. In fact, in some cases you can get there with no degree at all. It's not routine, but it's a lot more routine than becoming a well paid doctor or lawyer or engineer that doesn't have a college degree.

People who consider it high stress often do so because they have a dramatically inflated sense of their own important to their workplace (I CAN'T TAKE A VACATION, THIS PLACE WILL FALL APART WITHOUT ME) or they stuck in a terrible work environment, which is by no means a problem unique to tech work. There's nothing especially stressful about tech work in most cases. The worst case scenario is usually that something breaks for a while and then it gets fixed and you go on with your life. Maybe you get fired if you screw up, but that is, again, not unique to tech work. And the fact that labor has a distinct advantage due to the ever growing need for tech workers means that you're often better positioned than many to bounce back from a career setback.

adorai posted:

How about this then? Lots of other people are underpaid. Some IT folks do their jobs very well and it's hard to argue that they are overpaid, but the vast majority of IT workers that I've met are just duffers, chipping away at their little set of problems in a very workmanlike fashion. They aren't especially smart or driven, they just happened to get into computers instead of photography or writing or history or psychology or some other career that is deemed not useful because the merely contribute to society instead of explicitly being useful for helping people make money. Most of us aren't any smarter than people who make less, and we don't work any harder, we're just lucky that we were born at a time when we could take advantage of the tech economy to make a comfortable living.

The smarts and skill required to be a mid-level IT worker are over-estimated and it seems like IT people (like many engineers) under-estimate the difficulty of other jobs. Hence the constant "users are so stupid, managers are so stupid, bosses are so stupid, why am I the only smart one here!?" refrain.

Sickening posted:

What non-exclusive jobs would you consider to be better than working in technology from a pay and effort standpoint?

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

anthonypants posted:

I guess I forgot to mention massively inflated self-importance in that post earlier. IT is safely within the realm of the service industry. It is laughable to call IT a skilled trade and it diminishes the work that actual skilled laborers perform in literally the same way that people plaster the title Engineer onto every minor position.

I don't agree with this. calling IT a service industry is like calling Construction a service industry. It is a very broad grouping. IT, like construction, will involve Professionals (Engineers and others), skilled trades and semi-skilled labour. Here is one for you, how would you categorise the forensic auditor, how about if they are an actual certified forensic accountant as well? They are just as much IT as the phone support agent making minimum wage following a script.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

KennyTheFish posted:

I don't agree with this. calling IT a service industry is like calling Construction a service industry. It is a very broad grouping. IT, like construction, will involve Professionals (Engineers and others), skilled trades and semi-skilled labour. Here is one for you, how would you categorise the forensic auditor, how about if they are an actual certified forensic accountant as well? They are just as much IT as the phone support agent making minimum wage following a script.
Construction is an industry which produces a physical, tangible good. Construction is absolutely not a service industry, and it sounds like you're offended by the phrase "service industry" as if that's a thing which should be looked down upon. Yes, a forensic auditor, as well as any other type of auditor or any other type of forensic analyst would hold a service industry position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

anthonypants posted:

Construction is an industry which produces a physical, tangible good. Construction is absolutely not a service industry, and it sounds like you're offended by the phrase "service industry" as if that's a thing which should be looked down upon. Yes, a forensic auditor, as well as any other type of auditor or any other type of forensic analyst would hold a service industry position.

I didn't take issue with it being called a service industry. I took issue with it not being able to be a skilled trade. someone can do skilled trade in service industries. someone can do IT in service industries or non service industries.