Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Just read this article:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/resident-evil-7-demo-not-part-of-full-game-has-a-d/1100-6440889/

It says the demo content won't be in the actual game, and it'll different characters to boot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

LadyPictureShow posted:

Has there been any info released about returning characters?

I think the game would be incredible if it was Billy and Carlos, under fake identities just toolin' around backwoods houses investigating mysterious. Like they're the Scooby Doo gang but the monsters are real. Episodic releases even. Chapter Two: Billy and Carlos run afoul of the Yeti.

Honestly Billy and Carlos toolin' around under fake IDs and combating bio-terror in various locations still fighting the good fight even though they're wanted men is a plot idea I think could have potential to be cool. Then poo poo gets real when Josh LEGEND Stone discovers Billy is still alive and works to hunt him down at all costs because he's pissssssssed over what Billy allegedly did to his countrymen.

Cue a confrontation that turns into a 15 minute QTE suplexing match of extreme proportions inside an aquarium or zoo or something that an outbreak happened in, and Carlos's job is running around frantically suplexing the animals that are getting loose due to all the suplexing.

Suplexes for everyone!

Feel free to cut me a check Capcom.

As long as we're hoping to play as all the annoying men in the series throw Steve in and you've got yourself a sale.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i wanna suplex a ghost

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Serious Frolicking posted:

i wanna suplex a ghost

chris redfield ghost puncher
he will join the FEAR pointman in a very short list of extremely cool guys who punch ghosts to a second death

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Pomp posted:

Yes, re4 still rules

No one's denying that here. WASD tank controls with mouse aiming, correct?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
You know what RE needs?

Vampires. RE should have more vampires.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Pureauthor posted:

You know what RE needs?

Vampires. RE should have more vampires.

let's get that giant head from cry of fear in here too

also the monkeys (werewolves???) from clive barker's undying

in fact, bring all the monkeys from horror games into this new RE

re7: biohazard: the revenge of those shithead monkeys from system shock 2

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Fereydun posted:

chris redfield ghost puncher
he will join the FEAR pointman in a very short list of extremely cool guys who punch ghosts to a second death

You mean jump kicking

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

C-Euro posted:

Quick aside, the PC port of RE4 is 66% off on Steam this week. Is it worth buying if I already played the gently caress out of it on Gamecube and Wii?

It's good and worth picking up. RE4 definitely holds up too.

And I agree that 5 was underrated. I think part of the issue was designing too much of the game with coop in mind. As fun as playing it with another person can be, it can be annoying to have a bot tag along (unless you give it specific guns. Then it's like a turret.) Also, having melee be so powerful was a bit weird. I thought it was solid enough in 4, but in 5 it often seems like a better choice - especially while doing coop.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx
edit: never mind

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Kibayasu posted:

As long as we're hoping to play as all the annoying men in the series throw Steve in and you've got yourself a sale.

Steve shows up, a monster roaming Yellowstone park. Josh, in his pursuit of the fugitives, doesn't have time for that poo poo, and dropkicks him into one of those pools of boiling acid.

Better?

I'll do you one better. Piers is turned out to have survived, albeit heavily mutated, and upon seeing the BSAA uniform goes on an uncontrollable rampage and can only yell 'Captain!' repeatedly in a barely coherent voice. He becomes Josh's loyal sidekick after he is roundhouse kicked into submission.

Bam. GOTY. Thank me later.

i wanna suplex a ghost

Confirmed DLC has Chris and Barry on a camping trip just trying to do a few beers and kick back. Only, the campground is haunted... by Albert Wesker, Brad Vickers and Joseph Frost. They're pissed about being dead and blame the surviving STARS members. Hijinks promptly ensue.
Barry punching a ghost's head off while drinking his beer and making an awful dad joke is now a reality.

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jun 15, 2016

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

LadyPictureShow posted:

Steve shows up, a monster roaming Yellowstone park. Josh, in his pursuit of the fugitives, doesn't have time for that poo poo, and dropkicks him into one of those pools of boiling acid.

Better?

I'll do you one better. Piers is turned out to have survived, albeit heavily mutated, and upon seeing the BSAA uniform goes on an uncontrollable rampage and can only yell 'Captain!' repeatedly in a barely coherent voice. He becomes Josh's loyal sidekick after he is roundhouse kicked into submission.

Bam. GOTY. Thank me later.

Confirmed DLC has Chris and Barry on a camping trip just trying to do a few beers and kick back. Only, the campground is haunted... by Albert Wesker, Brad Vickers and Joseph Frost. They're pissed about being dead and blame the surviving STARS members. Hijinks promptly ensue.
Barry punching a ghost's head off while drinking his beer and making an awful dad joke is now a reality.

It's Forest! OH MY GOD!

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Change all the names and begin a Kickstarter for Ghost Punchers. You will have my full available support.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
As a ghost boy, you see dead ghosts.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

This basically encapsulates my problem with the game as a Resident Evil game. If you took that logo off and asked someone what game that was, I'm pretty sure most people would say Silent Hill. Which is fine. If the game was Silent Hill. The RE games have never been horror. They've had horror tones and ideas, but they weren't ever straight-up horror. This is my problem. I'm sure it could be a fine game, but it's going to be a bad Resident Evil if the game is anything like the demo.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Wanderer posted:

Change all the names and begin a Kickstarter for Ghost Punchers. You will have my full available support.

'Kris' and 'Larry' are ex-cops on a camping trip. But the forest is haunted, by 'Alfred', 'Bert' and 'Josef' three former police colleagues that blame them for their deaths and want revenge.

Can these two buddies 'lay down the law' and show those ghosts just who they're punching against? Get ready for a rip-roaring adventure in... GHOST PUNCHERS.

I think we're onto something here, friends! We should pitch it to the Barkley Shut up and Jam Gaiden guys.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

PureRok posted:

This basically encapsulates my problem with the game as a Resident Evil game. If you took that logo off and asked someone what game that was, I'm pretty sure most people would say Silent Hill. Which is fine. If the game was Silent Hill. The RE games have never been horror. They've had horror tones and ideas, but they weren't ever straight-up horror. This is my problem. I'm sure it could be a fine game, but it's going to be a bad Resident Evil if the game is anything like the demo.
The original was definitely a horror game. B-movie horror, but horror nonetheless.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i bet jake would be really good at punching ghosts. i bet jake would be really good at punching just about anything.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

PureRok posted:

Be fair: if someone showed you the Dr Salvador silhouette game cover without context, would you have associated it with RE either?

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

i bet jake would be really good at punching ghosts. i bet jake would be really good at punching just about anything.

I didn't want to give away any spoilers, buuuuuuuuut when Chris and Barry are against the ropes and things look grim, Jake appears and proceeds to punch ghost Wesker while yelling at him for being a lovely dad and an even shittier ghost dad.

This portion of the game is 45 minutes long.

E: Man, I am on fire with all these ideas. My BF makes movies, maybe I'll pitch Ghost Punchers to him. Just two hard-nosed guys that take no poo poo from ghosts.

In the sequel, they hear of ghostly activity... in Paris France. Will they have enough punches for every goddamn ghost? Find out in Ghost Punchers 2: Punchin' in Paris.

(Obligatory scene of 'Larry' going to punch a ghost, but he surrenders. Because he's French, get it?)

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jun 15, 2016

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

PureRok posted:

Each RE relaunch has started like this though

Resident Evil started out with you being chased by demonic dogs into a haunted mansion filled with zombies, death traps, and strange creatures....only to discover that the supernatural creatures infesting the residence are actually biological weapons that broke free during an accident at the laboratory behind the mansion. The zombies were created because of the release of a virus strain and the mansion's puzzles and death traps were part of the mansion residence because it's owner (who is also a founding member of the bioweapon company) was an eccentric old rich dude.

Resident Evil 4 started out with you in some creepy european town fighting tranced villagers, fantasy-esque creatures, and a demon cult but it turns out that some guy who discovered a prehistoric parasite that can control people (also drive them mad) and turn others into monsters and has been slowly infecting the european countryside to serve under his rule with his ultimate goal to infect the President of the United States.

I believe Resident Evil 7 starts out with you thinking your in a haunted house with ghosts and possibly scary hick killers and it will turn out the ghosts are some sort of hallucination caused by your character being drugged, the crazy hick killers are actually just thugs working for the villainous organization, and all the old meat laying around is used to feed the bioweapons or something or maybe just props used to gently caress with the protagonist or its just an old abandoned place they are keeping the protagonist captive in

It's like a Scooby Doo mystery where at first you think its supernatural but by the end everything can be explained by rationale real world science.

Alucard Nacirema fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jun 15, 2016

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The original was definitely a horror game. B-movie horror, but horror nonetheless.

Yeah, even considering the inherent subjectivity of horror, there's no denying that RE is a horror series. It shifts into being an action series with occasional horrific scenes as it goes on, but even RE4 has sequences like your first run-in with the Regenerators, and I'd argue that Ada's fight with the mutated Carla is one of the most unsettling set pieces in the entire franchise. They've never not been playing in horror's toybox.

I don't have a lot of time for the "just isn't Resident Evil" argument, because it's a false premise; it relies upon anyone you're talking to having exactly the same idea of the series's identity as you do, and on your tacit admission of your own inflexibility. It was a stupid attempt at criticism back in the early 2000s when comic-book fans would argue that a given character only worked in a certain specific kind of story, and it's a stupid attempt at criticism here.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

LadyPictureShow posted:

'Kris' and 'Larry' are ex-cops on a camping trip. But the forest is haunted, by 'Alfred', 'Bert' and 'Josef' three former police colleagues that blame them for their deaths and want revenge.

Can these two buddies 'lay down the law' and show those ghosts just who they're punching against? Get ready for a rip-roaring adventure in... GHOST PUNCHERS.

I think we're onto something here, friends! We should pitch it to the Barkley Shut up and Jam Gaiden guys.

I feel that you should be sure to take inspiration from great ghost punching stories of the past, such as Warren Ellis's Moon Knight.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
There are still moments from Resident Evil 1 and 2 that scare the poo poo out of me 20 years later.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Bubba Smith posted:

There are still moments from Resident Evil 1 and 2 that scare the poo poo out of me 20 years later.
I played RE2 for the first time this year and still had those kinds of moments.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Wanderer posted:

Yeah, even considering the inherent subjectivity of horror, there's no denying that RE is a horror series. It shifts into being an action series with occasional horrific scenes as it goes on, but even RE4 has sequences like your first run-in with the Regenerators, and I'd argue that Ada's fight with the mutated Carla is one of the most unsettling set pieces in the entire franchise. They've never not been playing in horror's toybox.

I don't have a lot of time for the "just isn't Resident Evil" argument, because it's a false premise; it relies upon anyone you're talking to having exactly the same idea of the series's identity as you do, and on your tacit admission of your own inflexibility. It was a stupid attempt at criticism back in the early 2000s when comic-book fans would argue that a given character only worked in a certain specific kind of story, and it's a stupid attempt at criticism here.

eh, i dunno about that.
i definitely feel that way specifically because RE has always had a defined tonal aspect of action-horror flicks, even dating back to RE1.
like, it's roots lie more alongside stuff like 'alien' than the exorcist- less 'regular people deal with seemingly supernatural and unbeatable forces' and more 'struggling against impossible odds to survive'
horror is a pretty broad category and RE has certainly traversed a pretty bizarre realm of genres itself but like the singular thing that links all of 'em is that aspect which is pretty much gone.

'it's too different!' is a valid critique when dealing with expectations of a long-running deal but that ultimately relies on personal tastes- folks seek out brands because they imply traits they desire and that type of critique is just a simplified way of saying that what's been presented isn't in line with their desires. it's why folks are continuously like "not a real RE game" for pretty much every single game after 2, haha

being totally honest i'm super negative about what's been presented so far and think it's derivative garbage but since it's not actually the game that has been presented who knows what on earth how the actual game will turn out given that what we've been shown is a 2 year old VR demo that had the RE name slapped onto it after positive receptions

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Pureauthor posted:

Be fair: if someone showed you the Dr Salvador silhouette game cover without context, would you have associated it with RE either?

For context:

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Nobodies thought about how much stress would go into these guys after so long of dealing with the apocolypse so maybe RE7 is the slow decent into insanity as they've been forced to kill their friends, neighbors, children, parasitic spaniards and africans, and giant bug fucks. Who cares though, if it's good I'll buy it. If it's anything like 6 I won't.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

the only covers i will ever associate with RE are giraffe blowjob and weird bugeye chris redfield holding the sickest shotgun of all time

never forget

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Oh yeah I finally beat RE0 HD. That is definitely a Resident Evil game, it's just not very good . I think I'd probably rank it below RE3 even as my least favorite entry that I've beaten so far. It's a shame because it's got probably one of the better premises in the series (Rookie cop forced to work together with a guy who might be a mass murderer) and does very little with it after the excellent train section. I don't want to belabor this point again either, but the item management was more frustrating than a fun challenge up until the very end.

Also it's kind of amusing that you end up at the entrance to the lab from RE2 at one point. Rebecca could have just walked back to the RPD from there if she wanted to!

drat it just makes me want RE2make even more though.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Bubba Smith posted:

I remember playing RE1 and being terrified of the lab area. I was dangerously low on ammo, there were those naked zombies and chimeras everywhere, and I was low on health. I found a crevasse in a wall and clicked it, the menu popped open for an item, and I was so relieved to get something to bolster my dwindling supplies and keep me going.

It was an ink ribbon.

I really never felt an ammo crunch like that in any other RE game, except for maybe 4 in the mines area. I was seriously sweating it at points. Also, I didn't realize you could zoom in more with the sniper scope until that point, when my brother saw me very meticulously lining up far shots against a chainsaw guy and said 'just zoom in, Jesus Christ'. To this day I'm amazed I made it through the Ashley sniper section not realizing I could zoom in more.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Fereydun posted:

the only covers i will ever associate with RE are giraffe blowjob and weird bugeye chris redfield holding the sickest shotgun of all time

never forget

That shotgun looks like either one of them mag-fed ones or a very high caliber rifle. But still, it's a good view.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

widespread posted:

That shotgun looks like either one of them mag-fed ones or a very high caliber rifle. But still, it's a good view.

It's an image composite of 2 or 3 guns, with about 1/3rd of an M16 being the most recognizable. His body looks like a composite of multiple images too.

It's really the perfect cover.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I ignored RE for a good year after it came out because of the stupid cover. Then my friend traded me his PSX with it for an RC car and the rest is history.

In retrospect it's the best cover though. I don''t know what I was thinking.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

Alucard Nacirema posted:

Each RE relaunch has started like this though

Resident Evil started out with you being chased by demonic dogs into a haunted mansion filled with zombies, death traps, and strange creatures....only to discover that the supernatural creatures infesting the residence are actually biological weapons that broke free during an accident at the laboratory behind the mansion. The zombies were created because of the release of a virus strain and the mansion's puzzles and death traps were part of the mansion residence because it's owner (who is also a founding member of the bioweapon company) was an eccentric old rich dude.

Resident Evil 4 started out with you in some creepy european town fighting tranced villagers, fantasy-esque creatures, and a demon cult but it turns out that some guy who discovered a prehistoric parasite that can control people (also drive them mad) and turn others into monsters and has been slowly infecting the european countryside to serve under his rule with his ultimate goal to infect the President of the United States.

I believe Resident Evil 7 starts out with you thinking your in a haunted house with ghosts and possibly scary hick killers and it will turn out the ghosts are some sort of hallucination caused by your character being drugged, the crazy hick killers are actually just thugs working for the villainous organization, and all the old meat laying around is used to feed the bioweapons or something or maybe just props used to gently caress with the protagonist or its just an old abandoned place they are keeping the protagonist captive in

It's like a Scooby Doo mystery where at first you think its supernatural but by the end everything can be explained by rationale real world science.

This is exactly what I want as well but with the addition of Leon, Chris or even Jake coming at the end and just annihilate whatever been chasing/hunting you in like 5 minutes because if you're really are playing a just regular person, this should be the scariest thing you've ever experienced but for them it's just another Tuesday.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

New Concept Hole posted:

It's an image composite of 2 or 3 guns, with about 1/3rd of an M16 being the most recognizable. His body looks like a composite of multiple images too.

It's really the perfect cover.

It's kind of like the most realistic version of the guns Scott Liefeld used to draw.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx
Turning the main characters into super heroes really hurt the franchise for me. I don't ever want to see Chris punching giant boulders or Leon round house kicking people through 2nd story Windows ever again.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Alucard Nacirema posted:

Turning the main characters into super heroes really hurt the franchise for me. I don't ever want to see Chris punching giant boulders or Leon round house kicking people through 2nd story Windows ever again.

see, i can tell you are speaking english but i cannot otherwise understand a word you are saying

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Alucard Nacirema posted:

I can't even imagine a RE game without this stuff and one liners.

I hope 7 is much more than trying to be PT. Other game designers trying to emulate Kojima never works out well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I dunno I just tried this demo and it seems like it'd be a classic RE game but in first person once they give you a gun. Weird teaser, definitely want to see where it goes in full game so maybe TGS will have a big blowout.