Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Mordaedil posted:

You were a wiser man than I, evilmiera.

Maybe. I have missed out on some fun games like Splatoon and the new Mario Kart, but on the other hand there just were not enough games that really held my interest. The last two sets of controllers just felt clunky as well whenever I tried them.

But then I have been gaming mostly on a PC these last few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
So many streamers passed by that one boulder that was in a perfect position to be pushed off the ledge and roll down into the explosive barrels to kill the goblins. :saddowns:

Jsor posted:

Okay, fixed it, batch conversion messed up the file order. I took a few minutes to screencap the conversations with the old man they skipped past. Nothing too interesting:

I'm not the only one that suspects this guy is Ganondorf or related to him, am I?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Inverness posted:

So many streamers passed by that one boulder that was in a perfect position to be pushed off the ledge and roll down into the explosive barrels to kill the goblins. :saddowns:

I'm not the only one that suspects this guy is Ganondorf or related to him, am I?

Pretty sure it's a version of King Daphnes Hyrule from Wind Waker.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Looks like they're all about hiding secrets this time; apparently you can beat the game without uncovering most of the story depending on how much you explore.

Holy poo poo this owns.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
I got the feeling that the game actively prevents you from losing all of your hearts from a single hit unless they're already low.

Or was it just a coincidence the amount of times the player was reduced to a fraction of a heart by one of those lasers and had time to eat food to heal?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Inverness posted:

I've heard a number of people say this, but there's about as much support for it as there was for link being a girl. He certainly doesn't speak very positively about 'calamity ganon'. Also Aonuma implied that he's supposed to remind you of the old man from the original LoZ.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Inverness posted:

I got the feeling that the game actively prevents you from losing all of your hearts from a single hit unless they're already low.

Or was it just a coincidence the amount of times the player was reduced to a fraction of a heart by one of those lasers and had time to eat food to heal?

It may be that the laser always reduces you to almost dead; i definitely saw it doing varying amounts of damage but never killing.

Or it may be that there's that last chance HP thing from other action games, either would be fine by me really.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The rock monster sure killed the gently caress out of the guy playing and I think he was at full health.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Excited to do a vegetarian Link run.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Wow, I just woke up to all this news. I haven't been this excited to play a new Zelda game since OoT came out.

I don't have a Wii U but I'd like to pick up a second-hand one for Smash, Pokken, and a few other games. This is a great bonus.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

This game looks cool as hell, but I'm really curious how the NX version looks and plays. There's some really noticeable pop-in, and people playing it on the show floor say it feels choppy in places. I wonder if it runs smoother on NX and/or if the massive scale of the game is the result of whenever they decided they were doing it for NX and that would be the "definitive" version. With how focused Nintendo's been on smooth framerates it's hard to imagine they were going to be ok with the framerate going up and down.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Inverness posted:

A zelda game where Ganon is not only cool but basically your pal for most of the game?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Pretty sure it's a version of King Daphnes Hyrule from Wind Waker.

Yeah, my money's on him being the king from the cataclysm preserved or whatever Link was.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
I normally stay right the gently caress out of the hype, I really haven't enjoyed any Zelda like i have the first two, just because it left so much to my childhood imagination.

You, as Link, were just some guy in a strange land. You started with only a plain shield. You had to scrounge enemies for weapons (bombs, boomerangs), experiment to find secrets (bomb everywhere, burn motherfucking everything), and just sort of wander until you got a lay of the land. There was no real story other than the one that scrolled up after the title screen. You just come in from nowhere and suckerpunch evil doers.

So far the demo shown has scratched all those itches!

Anyone else notice that the shrine entrances have a total

vibe to them?

I like where this is going is what I am saying.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Tender Bender posted:

This game looks cool as hell, but I'm really curious how the NX version looks and plays. There's some really noticeable pop-in, and people playing it on the show floor say it feels choppy in places. I wonder if it runs smoother on NX and/or if the massive scale of the game is the result of whenever they decided they were doing it for NX and that would be the "definitive" version. With how focused Nintendo's been on smooth framerates it's hard to imagine they were going to be ok with the framerate going up and down.

Pretty sure they'll smooth out the framerate before releasing the game. I'm hoping the Wii U version will be just as good because I really don't want to have to buy an NX yet, I always wait on new Nintendo consoles since their game release schedules are so loving abysmal. Plus this may turn out to be the same situation as Twilight Princess (Pre-HD remaster of course) where the last Gen edition was superior since it didn't have gimmick bullshit motion controls slapped on it. Like seriously what's NX's gimmick going to be?

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Harrow posted:

Interesting.

I think my fear with the orbs is that they'll be glorified experience points. I really hope that the way you get heart containers and stuff is entirely by exploring and finding those specific things, rather than amassing orbs and buying them. Fundamentally I'm sure it's basically the same--explore, do a mini-challenge, work towards an upgrade--but I find it more satisfying to go hunt down upgrades specifically rather than hunting down upgrade currency.

Form pages ago, but I agree with you on the feel. There is one advantage to buying upgrades with a magic orb currency, though: It'd be easy to do a more challenging mode by simply buying few or no heart containers, and going all-in on weapon/ammo upgrades or whatever.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Starhawk64 posted:

Pretty sure they'll smooth out the framerate before releasing the game. I'm hoping the Wii U version will be just as good because I really don't want to have to buy an NX yet, I always wait on new Nintendo consoles since their game release schedules are so loving abysmal. Plus this may turn out to be the same situation as Twilight Princess (Pre-HD remaster of course) where the last Gen edition was superior since it didn't have gimmick bullshit motion controls slapped on it. Like seriously what's NX's gimmick going to be?

We don't know yet, but the main speculation is that it's going to be some kind of combined 3ds/Wii U with a tablet controller that can hook into any TV and stream from the console, or be played as a handheld device. There are no indications that there are any new control gimmicks.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Starhawk64 posted:

I hope they smooth it out but I'm not sure what they can do. Even so if the NX version runs better, I guess I'll go back to buying Nintendo consoles on day one because this game looks worth it.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

John Lee posted:

Form pages ago, but I agree with you on the feel. There is one advantage to buying upgrades with a magic orb currency, though: It'd be easy to do a more challenging mode by simply buying few or no heart containers, and going all-in on weapon/ammo upgrades or whatever.

Yeah this didn't occur to me but it's a totally obvious solution to the "letting the player explore everywhere and progress even if you don't know where they're going to go first." problem. It would also be a huge mistake since hand placed loot/upgrades are way superior to cookie cutter upgrade points. I could totally see them doing it though because it's definitely the safe call and Nintendo doesn't place a lot of trust in their players. I'd love to be wrong.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Tender Bender posted:

I hope they smooth it out but I'm not sure what they can do. Even so if the NX version runs better, I guess I'll go back to buying Nintendo consoles on day one because this game looks worth it.

Even if the game is Q1 2017, that's still a fair amount of time for graphical polish. I'd definitely expect the final game to look better than this demo.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I'm so in

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
They do sort of know where you'll go first, though. It doesn't look like you can leave the plateau area until after you've got the bombs, magnet and freeze tools and the old guy gives you the glider.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Whoa
Link wasn't dizzy afterwards

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Do people think this game looks bad??? I don't get it

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Kassad posted:

They do sort of know where you'll go first, though. It doesn't look like you can leave the plateau area until after you've got the bombs, magnet and freeze tools and the old guy gives you the glider.

Bill said he got the glider and then jumped off and never unlocked a warp point. Oops.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
Yeah, the plateau is definitely the "tutorial area" but on the Treehouse stream Bill said that you can pick whatever side you want to jump off on, and because of the sheer size of everything you'll be pretty committed to that direction for at least the start of the game

I would hope for their sake that the systems they design are fairly area agnostic. I'm actually betting on some sort of central hub that acts as your home base that you can do your business in - cash in spirit orbs, buy or repair weapons, collect 100 butterflies, whatever

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Found some new Zelda footage

SirPenguin posted:

Yeah, the plateau is definitely the "tutorial area" but on the Treehouse stream Bill said that you can pick whatever side you want to jump off on, and because of the sheer size of everything you'll be pretty committed to that direction for at least the start of the game

I would hope for their sake that the systems they design are fairly area agnostic. I'm actually betting on some sort of central hub that acts as your home base that you can do your business in - cash in spirit orbs, buy or repair weapons, collect 100 butterflies, whatever

Man if you can really just run off in whatever direction you want and end up starting the game in whatever order, completing different temples and shrines

:allears:

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008
So this game is kinda Zelda meets Monster Hunter/baby Dark Souls, right? Because that would be my loving dream game and Im beyond hyped if it is.

Between this and Zelda Warriors, Im surprised Nintendo has been taking so many "risks" with regards to changing up their formula on such a prominent title. Both of those games are games that, when I was youger, I was like, "Man if I ran Nintendo I would make...."

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Devoyniche posted:

So this game is kinda Zelda meets Monster Hunter/baby Dark Souls, right? Because that would be my loving dream game and Im beyond hyped if it is.

Between this and Zelda Warriors, Im surprised Nintendo has been taking so many "risks" with regards to changing up their formula on such a prominent title. Both of those games are games that, when I was youger, I was like, "Man if I ran Nintendo I would make...."

Its Tony Hawk's Legend of Dark Souls: Skyrim, which is like an insane fanboy fever dream somehow made real.

I still can't believe the sheer scope of the world in this game, or the things you can do.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I personally can't wait to discuss cool recipes with you guys. :allears:

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
I wanna fight mans and solve cool puzzles

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I hope you can catch and cook a fairy.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Are there motion controls

Whimsicalfuckery
Sep 6, 2011

greatn posted:

I hope you can catch and cook a fairy.

Oh god, yes

I hope they have some kind of homesteading feature where you can upgrade your camp and build huts/fences etc. We've seen you can wrangle wild horses, maybe you can breed them.

Most of all I want to keep cuccos.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Uncle Wemus posted:

yes

you can aim poo poo using the gyro

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
You know what, I hated Dark Souls and didn't really enjoy Skyrim.

But this, this looks like it solves the problem that I have which is scope at the cost of anaemic combat. I'll give you a chance Zelda.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jun 15, 2016

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Uncle Wemus posted:

You can gyro aim. You can use the pro controller if you want though.

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell

Hedrigall posted:

Here, watch the right-hand slope of the volcano as Link runs towards the camera from 12:03 in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dar1t_L2wBk

(in the highest res possible, obviously)

At first I thought it was just another mountain peak but then I spotted the actual legs moving (i think), very nice catch that's awesome. I am SOOO pumped to play this, but i also cant wait until a year or so after its release to see how people figure out how to speed run this beast.

Did anyone else notice the master chest?

Space T Rex fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

What gets me more than anything is that we were shown hours and hours of content yesterday, and that content only barely even scratches the surface of the game. We still don't know plot, characters, towns, items, dungeons, and many of the other Zelda elements. I think it was so focused on what's new that I'm curious as to what's coming back from more recent games. Everything that's been wrong with the series – linearity, handholding, single-use items – seems to have been solved. But what about what's right? The games have gotten phenomenal at puzzle design. And SS had some of my all-time favorite dungeons in the series.

I also wish I could go into the game knowing nothing. Man I can't wait!