Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Yea the whole changing hardware thing is mainly for the free upgrade. If you buy a license key it's the same as it's always been and you can install it on new hardware you just can't have it active on two separate PCs at the same time with a single key.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Blazing Ownager posted:

ED: Microsoft's DRM nightmare still seems shockingly terrible to me.

Only because you're confusing how OEM licenses, retail licenses, and digital entitlements work. This has been covered over and over again.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
When the free upgrade offer ends they really need to sell Windows 10 at a low price. Sell it for £10 or something. It needs to remain a no-brainer.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Microsoft: It's time to update! Windows 10 is Free!**

** Not "free" free, but sort of free, sometimes, in certain cases. You guys will figure it out, you've been dealing with this bullshit for ages.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

WattsvilleBlues posted:

When the free upgrade offer ends they really need to sell Windows 10 at a low price. Sell it for £10 or something. It needs to remain a no-brainer.

It's for sale right now, normal Windows prices, around $100-110 for home, $140 for pro. But you are right, they need to knock this poo poo off. It isn't worth normal Windows prices.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Personally I really love the digital entitlement stuff. Wanna swap windows loads between computers? Just slap the drat hard drive in the new computer and boot up and Windows is still activated. We are talking OEM Windows computers with Digital Entitlements.

Maybe it helps to think of the free 10 upgrade as converting any computer into an OEM digital entitlement?

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Speaking of W10 OEM keys, did anyone try one of the $14-15 W10 Pro OEM key deals that have been popping up on Slickdeals? This is the latest: http://slickdeals.net/f/8834375-windows-10-professional-oem-key-14-00-key-only
Seems like it could be a cheap way to do a Home/Regular to Pro upgrade.

The website in this case looks slightly dodgy: http://opiumpulses.com/store/1259/windows-10-professional

I'm personally going to give W10 another year or so, at that point it should be almost ready for release! Thinking about picking up a key now though and just holding on to it in case they do something dumb with the pricing.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Now that I'm switched over to Windows 10 the keyword search function seems to be a lot less functional -- for example, my wife couldn't find a copy of her resume via keyword searches in Cortana and in the file folder tab, even though six versions were sitting in the documents folder. Any idea what might be causing that problem and how to fix?

Also I take it there is no way to have an actual start menu like in win 7, I'm stuck with these little blocks that all love to vanish after a few days now aren't I

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Windows 10 seems to have a far better start menu for me. You can pin and shift all the tiles you want and when I search for a program from there it actually shows it to me instead of some random program folder like 7 always used to.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Is there a consistent solution for fixing the start button when it stops working (other than a reboot)?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

My start button has not stopped working even once since I upgraded last year. Not on any of my machines or those I'm responsible for.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Blazing Ownager posted:

I really detest how Microsoft is tying their OS to the motherboard and screwing you entirely if you upgrade your hardware.

This doesn't happen if you just buy it like normal. If you just buy it like you'd bought any previous version of Windows, there are 0 hardware restrictions.

Blazing Ownager posted:

ED: Microsoft's DRM nightmare still seems shockingly terrible to me.

Uh, what DRM nightmare? If you have an actual key, you can reinstall whenever you like.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

The only reason Mac OS X upgrades were that cheap for a while was because you had to pay $900 or more to get a computer it'd legally run on. Permanently crippling the upgrade revenue stream is a pretty boneheaded idea for Microsoft.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

EmmyOk posted:

Windows 10 seems to have a far better start menu for me. You can pin and shift all the tiles you want and when I search for a program from there it actually shows it to me instead of some random program folder like 7 always used to.

The start menu is fine, but the search is crap:

http://imgur.com/In9PGmj

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Does anyone know how update sharing between computers on the same network works? I tried looking but all I can find is people complaining about it and screenshots of the button to turn it off.

Is it part of the Windows update service? Is it a service by itself?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

AlexDeGruven posted:

My start button has not stopped working even once since I upgraded last year. Not on any of my machines or those I'm responsible for.
That's good to hear. I'm happy for you and your machines.

Anyway, sometimes it stops working right away after booting, sometimes it's after the machine has been running for a while.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

edit: somehow i double posted?

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

thebigcow posted:

Does anyone know how update sharing between computers on the same network works? I tried looking but all I can find is people complaining about it and screenshots of the button to turn it off.

Is it part of the Windows update service? Is it a service by itself?

I don't know which particular implementation of P2P it uses, but if one system starts downloading/has downloaded an update, the other systems on a local network will start downloading that update from the first system instead of hitting Microsoft's distribution servers.

Note that if you set everything to check for updates at the same time (e.g. 3AM) then the other systems on the local network won't have that update and thus everything will try to get it from Microsoft. What I HAVE noticed, though, is that they seem to coordinate in some fashion: One system will download one update and the other systems will download different updates and then they will sync those updates between each other. I caught this happening in the May Patch Tuesday.

Sky net says hello.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Last Chance posted:

That's good to hear. I'm happy for you and your machines.

Anyway, sometimes it stops working right away after booting, sometimes it's after the machine has been running for a while.

The point that I and many people who respond similarly to things like this is: Maybe it's something specific to your computer, like other OEM software, etc.

If the start menu was randomly stopping functioning for a huge number of people often it would be A Thing™. So far, it's not.

Snow Fire
Oct 29, 2011

Rusty! posted:

Search has worked perfectly well for me, haven't had any problems with it not finding stuff instantly, guess I should count myself lucky-nya~

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

AlexDeGruven posted:

The point that I and many people who respond similarly to things like this is: Maybe it's something specific to your computer, like other OEM software, etc.

If the start menu was randomly stopping functioning for a huge number of people often it would be A Thing™. So far, it's not.

And his point was saying "I'm good, it must be you" does nothing to help him figure out what part of himself is causing the issue in the first place.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Arsten posted:

And his point was saying "I'm good, it must be you" does nothing to help him figure out what part of himself is causing the issue in the first place.

The problem is, his post is saying "Windows is broken because X" when it's obviously not because it would be all over the place and not just a couple of posters here.

There's not a Windows fix for "Start menu randomly ceasing function until reboot" because it's not a Windows thing.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

AlexDeGruven posted:

The problem is, his post is saying "Windows is broken because X" when it's obviously not because it would be all over the place and not just a couple of posters here.

There's not a Windows fix for "Start menu randomly ceasing function until reboot" because it's not a Windows thing.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/get-help-windows-start-menu

Well I mean it is a problem MS admits exists, but I was just hoping there was something simple I could run to get the start menu going without rebooting. My only Windows machine is running on an older, slower laptop HDD and while Win 10 does start up pretty quickly, it's still a pain in my rear end to reboot it.

No OEM software, it's an upgrade install but there's no way in hell I'm diving through clean installs, licensing and other bullshit. I've got things to do.

Hopefully it'll be fixed when Windows 10 is out of beta at least.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Rusty! posted:

Haha gently caress so it really isn't just me then

Any fixes for this?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Hmph, ok. I guess it is A Thing.

I can see how that would be frustrating as poo poo.

So far, the only time I've seen remotely weird behavior in 10 is when updates have been applied but the reboot has either failed on it's own, or got interrupted by something else.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Haha gently caress so it really isn't just me then

Any fixes for this?

Well you could try using search everything but that's a third party application. I don't think it'll integrate with the start menu. Works pretty well though.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rusty! posted:

Literally the reason I'm still on Windows 8.1

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

AlexDeGruven posted:

Even if Windows was broken because X just for him, he still has a broken Windows.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

I got a orange screen of death while I was playing a game. What the hell is it? I have never heard of it. Also after that reboot, Windows started installing updates with another restart.

asciidic
Aug 19, 2005

lord of the valves

Last Chance posted:

Is there a consistent solution for fixing the start button when it stops working (other than a reboot)?

Haven't seen this on any of my machines but I do run into it frequently on clients'. If the problem has ever remained after doing a cleanup/clean install, I haven't heard about it.

Before the November update, the start menu not working at all even after reboot was pretty common, and the fix for it was running this command in powershell:

code:
Get-appxpackage -all *shellexperience* -packagetype bundle |% {add-appxpackage -register -disabledevelopmentmode ($_.installlocation + “\appxmetadata\appxbundlemanifest.xml”)}
then

code:
Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
reboot

maybe give that a try? :shrug:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

havenwaters posted:

Well you could try using search everything but that's a third party application. I don't think it'll integrate with the start menu. Works pretty well though.

How on earth did they gently caress up something as fundamental as search

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
To get a windows 7 style start menu back you can install classic shell. It still works the same in windows 10 as it did in windows 8/8.1

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

asciidic posted:

Haven't seen this on any of my machines but I do run into it frequently on clients'. If the problem has ever remained after doing a cleanup/clean install, I haven't heard about it.

Before the November update, the start menu not working at all even after reboot was pretty common, and the fix for it was running this command in powershell:

code:
AppXPackage stuff
then

code:
AppXPackage stuff
reboot

maybe give that a try? :shrug:

I have the same occasional start menu not responding/opening issue and did try this at one point. And promptly broke every Windows Store app on my computer and wasn't able to repair it--I ended up just reinstalling Windows. So, you know, be careful when you're loving around with the app package stuff in powershell.

edit: removed the code blocks to avoid table breakage.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Snow Fire posted:

Search has worked perfectly well for me, haven't had any problems with it not finding stuff instantly, guess I should count myself lucky-nya~

Why this

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Speaking of W10 OEM keys, did anyone try one of the $14-15 W10 Pro OEM key deals that have been popping up on Slickdeals?

I bought a Win7 OEM sticker from Ebay for like 19 bucks and was able to install W10 and activate it just fine.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

You can probably activate basically any key you can find. At least windows 8 didn't care where the win7's key came from, and I think it is the same with win10.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Snow Fire posted:

Can you find the putty.exe executable in any folder on your system through search?

Snow Fire
Oct 29, 2011

ILikeVoltron posted:

Can you find the putty.exe executable in any folder on your system through search?

I tried, and search could not find it, checking the index, it's there. Doing some research, it seems exe files despite being in the search index, get filtered out by search itself for whatever reason. I guess I never noticed exe files get filtered out because all my programs install shortcuts into the start menu folder, which allows them to be shown by search. I made a shortcut for putty, stuffed it into the start menu folder, and search now shows it as the best match in its results with just pu typed in, weird stuff-nya~

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I can't handle this

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

PerrineClostermann posted:

I can't handle this
What is your problem-nya~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Blazing Ownager posted:

I really detest how Microsoft is tying their OS to the motherboard and screwing you entirely if you upgrade your hardware. It really pisses me off to the point I want to pat anyone who does the :filez: route on the back. loving Microsoft, punishing people for using their computer.

That said, I'm attempting to get a legit copy of Windows 10 on my home system and to set it up for my parents, and of course am trying to go about this the cheapest possible way; the home version is rear end for me, and I think $200 a pop for an ungimped OS is insane. So my questions (I've read a good chunk of the thread but there's been some back & forth):

A) Is buying a Windows 7 Pro key and upgrading it wise/viable as a route to get this?
B) Does anyone know of any good REPUTABLE sites that sell legit keys? I'm willing to pay more for a legit key, no question! Preferably with digital distribution.
C) Do I understand clearly that if I upgrade my badly aging CPU (or change my hardware config a few times) Win 10 will lock up and I either have to pay $200 or downgrade back to Win 7 right down the line anyway? Not even a limited install limit?

I've been super apprehensive about the upgrade and have repeatedly heard to avoid the Home version like the plague, and am finally needing to crawl out of my very, very stubborn Windows Vista hole given half the games I want to play and even Chrome have cut support for it. i figure they'll axe Win7 in a year or two so I might as well dip into the Win 10 pool.

Without going back over the things that have already been covered, I just wanted to mention the motherboard thing. While, again, it's only a limitation on an OEM edition, even then, is it that much of an issue? While everyone's use case is different, I've been working on and building PCs for over 20 years and have never had to replace a broken motherboard. Sometimes hardware goes bad, but by the time I'd have to pull the mobo and everything else out of a case it's time to replace everything anyway, and that includes a new OS. When I was upgrading from my Vista machine do you think I wanted to keep that OS? Hell loving no. By the time you pull a mobo from a case it'll be a few years down the line and you'll have gotten your money's worth from the OS.

So yeah, OEM Win10 probably won't be an issue anyway, and especially if it's for a parent's PC. Windows Home is fine (especially for the parents) and you can indeed upgrade any 7/8 key you find before the end of next month. If you make hardware upgrades you may have to reactivate Windows, although this is not new to Win10 and is free and easy so isn't even an issue in the first place. It's only the OEM/mobo thing that's new to Win10, and even then it's not a big deal: remember, the discounted OEM licenses are intended for system builders anyway, not home users, so if you buy one at that discounted price be happy for that. ~$100 for a few years is not a bad price for a piece of software, let alone an OS.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

At most, yeah, but I'd still be surprised if they don't back down and continue to allow free upgrades since they want Win10 installs to inflate their numbers; it's one thing to sell new licenses for new machines, but I don't see the logic in starting to charge for upgrades that some people didn't want for free in the first place.

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Speaking of W10 OEM keys, did anyone try one of the $14-15 W10 Pro OEM key deals that have been popping up on Slickdeals? This is the latest: http://slickdeals.net/f/8834375-windows-10-professional-oem-key-14-00-key-only
Seems like it could be a cheap way to do a Home/Regular to Pro upgrade.

The website in this case looks slightly dodgy: http://opiumpulses.com/store/1259/windows-10-professional

I'm personally going to give W10 another year or so, at that point it should be almost ready for release! Thinking about picking up a key now though and just holding on to it in case they do something dumb with the pricing.

Guys have been asking about key resellers, and someone mentioned keys from this place:

https://www.kinguin.net/category/19429/windows-10-professional-oem-key/

I and some of the other goons have successfully purchased game codes from Kinguin, which is some weird, shady-looking key marketplace; the keys come from 3rd parties but Kinguin does offer buyer protection, so if they key doesn't work they'll give you a refund. I haven't tried purchasing a Windows key yet but $30 isn't a huge risk for a Pro OEM key. If I can't get a Win10 license transferred from an old netbook that I don't use anymore I'll try to purchase one of those Kinguin keys; I'll need one for a Kangaroo mini-PC.