Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

This is going to be the greatest game ever made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Space T Rex posted:

At first I thought it was just another mountain peak but then I spotted the actual legs moving (i think), very nice catch that's awesome. I am SOOO pumped to play this, but i also cant wait until a year or so after its release to see how people figure out how to speed run this beast.

Did anyone else notice the master chest?

Gotta place that side by side with "Hyrulian Heat" Link for fairness

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

MokBa posted:

What gets me more than anything is that we were shown hours and hours of content yesterday, and that content only barely even scratches the surface of the game. We still don't know plot, characters, towns, items, dungeons, and many of the other Zelda elements. I think it was so focused on what's new that I'm curious as to what's coming back from more recent games. Everything that's been wrong with the series – linearity, handholding, single-use items – seems to have been solved. But what about what's right? The games have gotten phenomenal at puzzle design. And SS had some of my all-time favorite dungeons in the series.

I also wish I could go into the game knowing nothing. Man I can't wait!

Looks like they're taking the thing from Link Between Worlds where you can complete dungeons in different orders based on the items you get, and that a given dungeon won't just have one obvious item that you get at the start and use for that dungeon and boss and then never again, instead giving you dungeons with one clear item that you can use but also alternative solutions to puzzles involving items from other dungeons.

Which is great. And something zelda games have gotten both right and wrong throughout the series.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

mabels big day posted:

This is going to be the greatest game ever made.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Space T Rex posted:

Did anyone else notice the master chest?

haha, boobs

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Zaphod42 posted:

Found some new Zelda footage

Man if you can really just run off in whatever direction you want and end up starting the game in whatever order, completing different temples and shrines

:allears:

Holy poo poo, you aren't kidding. I'm watching a video of them running on the plateau's edge and :hawaaaafap:

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Zaphod42 posted:

Looks like they're taking the thing from Link Between Worlds where you can complete dungeons in different orders based on the items you get, and that a given dungeon won't just have one obvious item that you get at the start and use for that dungeon and boss and then never again, instead giving you dungeons with one clear item that you can use but also alternative solutions to puzzles involving items from other dungeons.

Which is great. And something zelda games have gotten both right and wrong throughout the series.

OOT did this pretty well with Din's fire/fire arrows as I recall. There are at least a few points in Forest Temple, Water Temple and Spirit Temple where you can use those to bypass puzzles.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Yorkshire Tea posted:

OOT did this pretty well with Din's fire/fire arrows as I recall. There are at least a few points in Forest Temple, Water Temple and Spirit Temple where you can use those to bypass puzzles.

Which is a great reference, because I haven't felt this way about a Zelda game since I was staring at the OoT box in the store twenty years ago. It's refreshing.

The most enjoyable thing about the Zelda series, for me, was the sensation of melancholic vastness. Little is explained, the world feels huge beyond the borders, and you are just a moment in it. Things like Ikana Canyon in MM, where there's a deep history in the ruins but it doesn't waste time telling you all about it, leaving it up to imagination.

I hope this game brings back that feeling of being lost in a world you know nothing about. The closest thing we've gotten in recent years is Dark Souls.

Rime fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jun 15, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Screenshotted since it looks like their website crashed

This is some napkin math, so probably inaccurate, but even if ballpark its pretty drat loving big

We're looking at roughly 140 square miles :siren:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Zaphod42 posted:

Screenshotted since it looks like their website crashed

This is some napkin math, so probably inaccurate, but even if ballpark its pretty drat loving big

We're looking at roughly 140 square miles :siren:

The Witcher 3 was 52sq/mi, for comparison. :aaaaa:

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Let's hope that 140 square miles is densely packed with content. A major problem of open world games claiming to have a huge open world is that there's usually gently caress all nothing to do in them.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

http://i.4cdn.org/v/1466012052339.webm

Bouncing ball of burning death

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Starhawk64 posted:

Let's hope that 140 square miles is densely packed with content. A major problem of open world games claiming to have a huge open world is that there's usually gently caress all nothing to do in them.

I have to imagine that they wouldn't bother with such a huge world if there wasn't going to be plenty of stuff to explore and secrets to find. (In fact, according to Eiji Aonuma, a good portion of the story will only be found if you explore for it--if you just follow the critical path, you won't get the whole story.) But I also hope they don't just copy-paste points of interest around the map Ubisoft-style. That kind of thing just gets so fatiguing.

My own concern is that I want it to be fun to traverse. I want traveling through the open world to be a fun part of the game in and of itself, not just what I do between the fun parts. So far, the demo footage has me feeling pretty optimistic--it looks like the amount of potentially fun environmental interactions, different ways you can fight random enemies you come across, all that stuff, will keep exploration fun.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

As long as beating up enemies with a skeleton arm and a pitchfork never gets old, I'm not worried about having fun in the open world.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I'm not worried about the open world getting boring either, but if people really expect a map of that size to be packed with unique encounters and quests they're looking to be disappointed

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, I have the feeling some people are going to go into this expecting Witcher 3-level quest density and come away thinking it's garbage.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
I hope there's a lot of hard rear end combat encounters that make you do all this cool poo poo they're showing off to survive them

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Charlie Bobson posted:

I hope there's a lot of hard rear end combat encounters that make you do all this cool poo poo they're showing off to survive them
I doubt it, but it sounds like Nintendo is going to be giving players the option to tackle encounters way above their level early on. That makes a lot of sense for Nintendo, who like to give players the option to do hard challenges without requiring them. Although in general the Zelda series doesn't do that as much - Mario games are the best example of this.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Link's cat mario ability looks cool, but way too slow

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Harrow posted:

Yeah, I have the feeling some people are going to go into this expecting Witcher 3-level quest density and come away thinking it's garbage.

To be fair, Witcher 3 works really well with the space it gives the players to explore, far better than most RPGs that claim to have open worlds.

But Witcher's 3 combat is also pretty meh at best, while Zelda's combat right now looks pretty damned fun.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

I doubt it, but it sounds like Nintendo is going to be giving players the option to tackle encounters way above their level early on. That makes a lot of sense for Nintendo, who like to give players the option to do hard challenges without requiring them. Although in general the Zelda series doesn't do that as much - Mario games are the best example of this.

Yeah, I love how Mario games handle their challenge. I'm always perfectly happy that the normal "just get through the level" part isn't that tough because there are always plenty of optional challenges.

They might go that route with Breath of the Wild, just because they're putting in so many ways to adjust Link's combat ability (equipment, food buffs, environmental tricks). I'd love it if there were some really tough combat challenges hidden out in the world so that players can screw around with all those things and feel rewarded for doing so.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Xenoblade Chronicles X is apparently 154 square miles, so if this is 140 square miles this will only be the 2nd largest Nintendo world.

It would be 12x the size of Twilight Princess' world, for scale.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Now I hope you get a flying mech partway through the game to ease exploration.
Would make perfect sense, make it interface with your phablet

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Calaveron posted:

Now I hope you get a flying mech partway through the game to ease exploration.
Would make perfect sense, make it interface with your phablet

Legit wonder if you might be able to control a guardian at some point to get the full Xeboblade experience

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Harrow posted:

Yup. I'm anticipating it feeling a bit like Wind Waker, only with more interactivity between the "islands", as it were. In my mind those long stretches of sailing are actually one of the best parts of Wind Waker because they provide a period of relaxation and exploration in between the dungeons and story and everything else, so if Breath of the Wild nails that exploration:everything else ratio I'm gonna fall in love with this game so hard.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Harrow posted:

I have to imagine that they wouldn't bother with such a huge world if there wasn't going to be plenty of stuff to explore and secrets to find. (In fact, according to Eiji Aonuma, a good portion of the story will only be found if you explore for it--if you just follow the critical path, you won't get the whole story.) But I also hope they don't just copy-paste points of interest around the map Ubisoft-style. That kind of thing just gets so fatiguing.

My own concern is that I want it to be fun to traverse. I want traveling through the open world to be a fun part of the game in and of itself, not just what I do between the fun parts. So far, the demo footage has me feeling pretty optimistic--it looks like the amount of potentially fun environmental interactions, different ways you can fight random enemies you come across, all that stuff, will keep exploration fun.

Between hangliding and shield surfing, I think traversing the game world looks like one of the most fun parts of it so far :)

And don't forget Epona

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
It's going to be a vast land densely packed with cleverly hidden caves, alcoves, and passages, all of which will reward the clever player with more arrows and rupees than they will ever use in the game.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Zas posted:

Link's cat mario ability looks cool, but way too slow

I think the jumping option is to make it go faster.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

quiggy posted:

Yup. I'm anticipating it feeling a bit like Wind Waker, only with more interactivity between the "islands", as it were. In my mind those long stretches of sailing are actually one of the best parts of Wind Waker because they provide a period of relaxation and exploration in between the dungeons and story and everything else, so if Breath of the Wild nails that exploration:everything else ratio I'm gonna fall in love with this game so hard.

See, I'm excited for the opposite reason: My big problem with Wind Waker was that even in the remake, sailing was boring as hell. Here, the "ocean" between points of interests is full of stuff in its own way. Relaxing for me means messing with bokoblins and wilderness cuisine.

God, the sense of exploration in this game looks amazing. I love being able to come up with my own little stories about the world: that skull outcrop? Definitely the head of a giant skeleton buried underground.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Patter Song posted:

Xenoblade Chronicles X is apparently 154 square miles, so if this is 140 square miles this will only be the 2nd largest Nintendo world.

Starting to look like an updated version of this :

I'm just hoping for more than one or two towns tbh.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Patter Song posted:

Something I forget when accounting for XCX's territory: does the sea count? since the sea is part of the map in that you can travel in it and see yourself in the map when zoomed all the way out.

If it counts then, well. The sea is a pretty huge part, I wanna say about a fourth of the total territory with some mini islands here and there, but mostly just a place that is there but you would mostly ignore it, so it inflates the size of the map a bit unfairly, which would mean that the actual map on BoW is even bigger than the land in XCX.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Motto posted:

Complaining about Zelda of all things being openworld is bizarre; the series has been criticized for years for becoming more restrictive and linear in structure as it's worn on, culminating in Skyward Sword dropping all pretense of being a grand adventure and just plopping you down in three entirely separate fetchquest and minigame zones.

Uh yeah SS was really good

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Literally Kermit posted:

Starting to look like an updated version of this :

I'm just hoping for more than one or two towns tbh.

5th Palace and 6th Palace is a weird thing to call your palace.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

gannyGrabber posted:

Uh yeah SS was really good
It was the point where I decided I was done with 3D Legend of Zelda games. I didn't bother to finish it.

This game, by all appearances, will be what gets me back into them.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Best possible zelder:

Start game, talk to a tree, get a sword.
Enter a dungeon where you get a fancy item and fight a boss
Exit dungeon and fall down a hole into another dungeon
Repeat 6-8 times

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Legit wonder if you might be able to control a guardian at some point to get the full Xeboblade experience

I wouldn't be surprised since there's an amiibo for one.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

5th Palace and 6th Palace is a weird thing to call your palace.

I think the player's guide / instruction book or something called them the ocean palace and hidden palace, respectively. Weird this map doesn't reference that.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I like the little victory fist-pump that Link does when you finish cooking something.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

deadly_pudding posted:

I like the little victory fist-pump that Link does when you finish cooking something.

So tasty!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
How do you feel about the UI? I've just seen someone on Twitter say that it looks like placeholder art.