Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Voltron is pretty good but now I want the same team to remake g-force.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Gaunab posted:

Voltron is pretty good but now I want the same team to remake g-force.

There is a recent remake/sequel, it's on Hulu, it's called Gatchaman Crowds. I never watched the original cartoons but I do know there was an original anime version in the 70s, then an 80s version that was based on the original. And I think there were some other series in between then and now, maybe in the 90s. I'm not sure how/if all of these series tie in or if they're just remakes using the same character designs and/or stories.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

ElCondemn posted:

There is a recent remake/sequel, it's on Hulu, it's called Gatchaman Crowds. I never watched the original cartoons but I do know there was an original anime version in the 70s, then an 80s version that was based on the original. And I think there were some other series in between then and now, maybe in the 90s. I'm not sure how/if all of these series tie in or if they're just remakes using the same character designs and/or stories.

Crowds is basically related to the original Gatchaman in name and stylistic choices only. The plot is essentially disconnected and otherwise original. It's also good.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Yeah if you're watching Crowds for Science Ninja fun you will leave bitterly disappointed.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

ConanThe3rd posted:

Yeah if you're watching Crowds for Science Ninja fun you will leave bitterly disappointed.

This was me. I've never seen the original, but I was expecting more stylish superhero stuff.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Crowds is pretty interesting but not even really an action show, it's more about like, the internet and how the population at large responds to change.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

This was me. I've never seen the original, but I was expecting more stylish superhero stuff.

Honestly out of all the remakes Tatsunoko's done of their stuff it's my least favorite. I have absolutely no time for Hajime (Who is a stupid brat who's only spared from consequence by the writer) and the bit about online harassment (and how it related to the ... antagonist?) was about as cack-handed as I've ever seen the topic broached.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Waffleman_ posted:

That's what I was hoping it would be, I quickly stopped watching. I've been watching My Hero Academia and One Punch Man lately so I've been looking for similar types of shows. Both of those are great if you're into the super hero genre (though I don't think they're really kid friendly).

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Samurai Flamenco might be good for that, although it isn't exactly kid friendly either

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Crowds is really solid, it's just that you need to drop all preconceptions if the word "Gatchaman" means anything to you.

E:

drrockso20 posted:

Samurai Flamenco might be good for that, although it isn't exactly kid friendly either

Samurai Flamenco is a bizarre thing that I have to recommend as flawed as it is. It's not great but it's something that needs to be seen.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer
The stinger in the Harvey Beaks season opener legit caught me unaware.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Nice to see Gumball making Arrested Development references.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Trebuchet King posted:

Nice to see Gumball making Arrested Development references.

I missed this, what was it?

Also the Sussie dream in the latest episode was amazing, though honestly it mostly amazing

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

It was an episode that aired today; something about Anais being the favorite child? And as Gumball says something about someone "finishing each other's--" "Sandwiches!" Darwin interrupts.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

They also have that exchange in Frozen, so it might be a secondhand reference through that.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

axleblaze posted:

I missed this, what was it?

Also the Sussie dream in the latest episode was amazing, though honestly it mostly amazing

That whole episode was fantastic, but you'r right in that the Sussie bit takes the cake. How on earth does Gumball not have its own thread?!

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"
The "finish each other's sandwiches" line has been around for decades—I don't think it's a reference to anything in particular in Gumball.

The Sussie gag in the dream episode was good, but I love that they occasionally throw in something really dark like Daisy's Anais-doll dream in the middle of all that wackiness.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The Ben 10 reboot doesn't look like a real cartoon, it looks like a ripoff of the character you'd see on some random nursery rhyme Youtube channel.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I compare it to the kids in the background of a cereal box, but that works too.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Why isn't beast boy green anymore and starring in a Ben 10 reboot?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

axleblaze posted:

Why isn't beast boy green anymore and starring in a Ben 10 reboot?

Well, it started when an alien device did what it did.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
It's disappointing that all the aliens are vaguely human-shaped bipeds.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Dr Christmas posted:

Non bipeds are hard to animate :(

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

axleblaze posted:

We'd have to make new puppets to rig and that's a lot of work.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer

axleblaze posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGXC8gXOPoU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Dr Christmas posted:

This is my biggest complaint (along with the omnitrix symbol being always on the chest because that sucks), look at the generic flying guy on the upper right, it's the redesign of this handsome dude

now he's just vaguely insect-like man. The only design that looks dynamic and stands out is Four-Arms, but that's a design too good to gently caress up.

I wanted to give this show a chance but those designs legit look lazy and if they're going to the point of nearly homogenizing this alien roster into the same build with different sizes and chests then I don't have much hope for anything else they'll do.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Dr Christmas posted:

If they had a squid-alien I probably would've watched at least 3 of the 13 Ben10 series.

edit: I like to think Azmuth the Omnitrix creator was racist against non-two legged aliens. Six or eight legs can be alright sometimes but only if they fight for their country and don't leech off the hard work of the two-legs.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Maybe they're going to do a TTG and make fun of the source material.

... is Ben 10 old enough for original audience to be able to appreciate that?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Pakled posted:

Maybe they're going to do a TTG and make fun of the source material.

... is Ben 10 old enough for original audience to be able to appreciate that?

First series came out in 2005, although I really hope they aren't going that route

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I feel like Ben10 started with a lot of potential, and then steadily all of the neat things about it drained away, and then they just keep remaking it. Somebody on Cartoon Network's staff really likes the show concept, but not enough to breathe real life into it.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Isn't it basically a toy commercial?

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

SlothfulCobra posted:

I feel like Ben10 started with a lot of potential, and then steadily all of the neat things about it drained away, and then they just keep remaking it. Somebody on Cartoon Network's staff really likes the show concept, but not enough to breathe real life into it.

I've always gotten the impression that Ben 10 is way bigger overseas than it is here, and that global popularity and merchandise sales are the reason why they keep making more of it, despite having virtually zero on-air presence in the US for years.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Just like Ben, I am perpetually ten.

PhazonLink posted:

Isn't it basically a toy commercial?

That's pretty much any male adolescent oriented action series. With Ben 10 they can at least make all the aliens and sell them on the show easily and neatly instead of having things like Spider-Man and his Helicopter.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

HorseRenoir posted:

I've always gotten the impression that Ben 10 is way bigger overseas than it is here, and that global popularity and merchandise sales are the reason why they keep making more of it, despite having virtually zero on-air presence in the US for years.

Sounds about right. They also probably want a "boy show" to accompany the PPG reboot

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
My friend is boarding on the new Ben 10 and for that reason I hope it's good and has success.

Honestly though they should have just made a Max Tennyson show because he's always the best part of that series.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

HorseRenoir posted:

Totally, I'm pretty sure either Omniverse or the final episode order of Ultimate Alien happened solely because overseas markets love Ben 10 so much. Heck, this show is gonna start this fall in the UK and other countries apparently.

Wouldn't mind a TTG style comedy out of Ben 10 but, again, with these aliens I feel there's a lot of wasted potential, I mean if you're doing wacky comedy why cut out the dog alien? why wouldn't the bug one be gross? the ghost makes so much sense for silly short plots.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

kefkafloyd posted:

Honestly though they should have just made a Max Tennyson show because he's always the best part of that series.

A young-ish grandpa Max cartoon is something I could get behind. Part MiB, Part GI Joe. Dealing with your secretive paramilitary alien taskforce while starting a family. Too bad old characters aren't marketable :(

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
The best episode of Voltron is the one where they remake Die Hard with Pidge.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
CN should just let Ben 10 die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Waffleman_ posted:

The Ben 10 reboot doesn't look like a real cartoon, it looks like a ripoff of the character you'd see on some random nursery rhyme Youtube channel.

So apparently TTG is the new show everyone is going to ruthlessly imitate for the next five years. Fantastic.

So long AT era. You were short but beautiful...

SlothfulCobra posted:

To be fair I actually kind of enjoyed Omniverse. It's probably the closest the show ever came to being legitimately good.