Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
One could just as easily blame the for-profit components of the health, institutional food, or education industries involved in the scenario.

I'm not saying you're wrong, just that there are other ways of looking at it. "Money" I guess is always the answer.

E: oh God what a bad snipe.

creamed corn

theres a will theres moe has a new favorite as of 04:02 on Jun 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

tzorilla posted:

I spent few weeks in a hospital recently, and the food was interesting to say the least.

Here's a full album of the delicacies:

https://imgur.com/gallery/dbQ2Q

Man that's depressing. The food I had when I was in the hospital last was bland but edible. That stuff almost looks like what you'd make when you're too lazy to go to the store and that's all that's left in your cupboard. A bunch of dry bread does not a meal make. At least some butter would be nice.

I'm surprised it's not served on a piece of junk mail because they're too lazy to wash any plates.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Screaming Idiot posted:

I would, and then I would die a sobbing and bloated shell of a human being, filled with cheese and starch and processed meat and black, putrid despair. Should someone have the folly to mark my shallow grave, the monument would read "GLUTTON" and be marked with abstract symbols of shame and dishonor. Every full moon my decaying husk would climb free of the dead soil from which nothing would grow and stand in the moonlight, baying a loathsome wail as a torrent of vermin streamed from my gaping, putrescent maw. If one listened carefully, he may catch words in that formless and terrible cry, and those words might possibly be, "I can't believe I ate the whole loving thing. this is why my pants don't fit."
I love everything about this post

Schubalts posted:

Found an archived version of the site, to relive our candy review nostalgia. http://web.archive.org/web/20031017012940/http://www.bad-candy.com/candies/
Site doesn't work

chitoryu12 posted:

The Supersizers Do.....Hunter S. Thompson.

That's a lot of cocaine, also pretty appropriate since I'm both reading through a biography of the man, and rereading Fear & Loathing In Las Vegas for what is probably the fifth or sixth time in a year's worth of time alone(I'll freely admit it's one of my favorite books)

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Chivas and grapefruit is a meal fit for a king.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

The soups reminded me of when I first moved out, my boyfriend and I were 17 and both had minimum wage part-time jobs which paid $5.90 an hour. We rented a room in this dumpy house, and we owned exactly one pot and one plastic serving spoon. We could only afford super cheap food, which was usually those big Habitant soups you could usually find for $1 a can. We would heat one can in our pot then take turns eating it with our spoon, usually in our room on the floor because the other people who lived in that house were skeevy as gently caress. That was our dinner every night for a while. Sadly I have no photos, as they were really ugly soups.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Picnic Princess posted:

The soups reminded me of when I first moved out, my boyfriend and I were 17 and both had minimum wage part-time jobs which paid $5.90 an hour. We rented a room in this dumpy house, and we owned exactly one pot and one plastic serving spoon. We could only afford super cheap food, which was usually those big Habitant soups you could usually find for $1 a can. We would heat one can in our pot then take turns eating it with our spoon, usually in our room on the floor because the other people who lived in that house were skeevy as gently caress. That was our dinner every night for a while. Sadly I have no photos, as they were really ugly soups.

I grew up on those habitant pea soups and even to this day there is something about that ash-tray taste that reminds me of home and makes me buy it.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

tzorilla posted:

I spent few weeks in a hospital recently, and the food was interesting to say the least.

Here's a full album of the delicacies:

https://imgur.com/gallery/dbQ2Q

My favorite hospital meal was the dead dry white meat turkey served with dressing that was basically unseasoned damp bread crumbs still in the shape of the scoop they used to serve. Was there even Jello?

Nope.

EDIT: (I was misdiagnosed with diverticulitis, and was also told to leave off all nuts, corn, and most fruit with hard seeds. Which is also complete crap. 6 years of hell.)

Samizdata has a new favorite as of 08:18 on Jun 14, 2016

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

when i was a teacher in detroit, right out of college, i made 25 grand a year. frequently, i would get paid and after bills have nothing but $40 or $50 to make it to the next paycheck. my savior? instant pancake mix. just add water.
don't try and serve me that poo poo now, though. brings on a gag reflex

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hospital cook infopost. A lot of the food is bland because it has to be made for everyone, especially low sodium/cardiac patients. If you want flavor, ask for salt. Assuming of course that the meals are made to order, rather than everyone gets the same thing for each meal.

rotoscoped
Oct 30, 2010

tzorilla posted:

many bad things, including

My condolences. I hope you had someone to sneak you some edible food in.

Content:

The title for this image was "Asian Magic"

Tony Bologna
Sep 21, 2007

Talk real good 'cause I'm smart and stuff

It's ????

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Steamed dumplings filled with Kraft StoveTopTM brand stuffing

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Not sure, but I'd be willing to bet it's Eastern European.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Crow Jane posted:

Not sure, but I'd be willing to bet it's Eastern European.

My bet would be Chinese

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

fong posted:

My bet would be Chinese

Agreed, definitely looks like the cheong fan I've had occasionally at dim sum. Broad rice noodles wrapped around various stuff.

NinjaDebugger has a new favorite as of 23:39 on Jun 14, 2016

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
The food at Beth Israel and Mount Sinai hospitals was really good, especially if you could go downstairs to the cafe where they had a grill, sushi bar, frozen yogurt machine, sandwich station, and self serve waffle makers.

Oddly enough the pizza was crap, very sweet sauce.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Whole calamari?

mrEkli
Feb 9, 2004
I was there.

Rolled rice sheets filled with those chinese donut kinda thingies. So good.

Tony Bologna
Sep 21, 2007

Talk real good 'cause I'm smart and stuff

mds2 posted:

Whole calamari?

Braised in goldschlager.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Also known as "those wet rolled-up things the waitress cuts with scissors at the dim sum place", right?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

They're rice noodle rolls (usually with a pork filling), you poor deprived bastards.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

The Incredibly Strange Tamale-likes Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies!!?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Samizdata posted:

The Incredibly Strange Tamale-likes Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies!!?

I think we have a new thread title

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Never forget Todd.

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010

You must learn to know the Meat Tower. Love the Meat Tower. Accept the Meat Tower into your being.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I have. Time and time again.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Looks Bad Todd

Sweet As Sin
May 8, 2007

Hee-ho!!!

Grimey Drawer
I was craving carbonara but had no pasta or pancetta, but I had bacon lard and quinoa

It was alright

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

RareAcumen posted:

Never forget Todd.

I swear, Loss edits are becoming more and more abstract.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

You begin to suspect that your bowl is a portal to the Meat Dimension.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

why does it have doll hair on it

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

Nice poop op.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Nemico
Sep 23, 2006

RareAcumen posted:

Never forget Todd.

Is that a stack of high meat?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Would so hard

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Never forget Todd.

Ahhh. Gefilte fish with horseradish and a single potato. Seder leftovers.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I really should've saved the booklet that the hospital gave me when I had lower jaw surgery. One of the no-chew recipes was "blend up a whole goddamn BLT with milk, ingredient by ingredient"

Too bad it was before digital cameras was easy to get. There was a big difference between a "liquid diet" and a "no chew diet" and how I kept getting Popsicles even though I couldn't use my lips/open my jaw.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Sweet As Sin posted:

I was craving carbonara but had no pasta or pancetta, but I had bacon lard and quinoa

It was alright

What did it look like before you ate it?

Poop Cupcake
Dec 31, 2005

Manuel Calavera posted:

Hospital cook infopost. A lot of the food is bland because it has to be made for everyone, especially low sodium/cardiac patients. If you want flavor, ask for salt. Assuming of course that the meals are made to order, rather than everyone gets the same thing for each meal.
The thing that I miss the most when I have to eat hospital food is fresh fruits and vegetables. Are these not served because they cost too much or what? Eating bread and mystery vegetable water for three weeks sounds like hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

Laserjet 4P posted:

Might have been posted already but I saw this gem in the 'POS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e5gTx1fVU4

No pizza rules, but see how far you can make it without saying anything.

What is the thing he oozes out of a tube over the pizza? Factory cheese sauce?