Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
That area of the Canadian Rockies isn't really all that high so you don't have much of an alpine zone compared to the Sierra's or US Rockies. It's like...green forests and trees, then suddenly rocky peaks. Also possibly gets more rain overall, the Sierra's are pretty dry during the summer.

e: I shouldn't say "isn't all that high", but a combination of the type of vegetation and the way the peaks are is distinctive versus the Sierra high country with more area above the treeline and a dryer climate overall

Levitate fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jun 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010
I'm going to be in Yosemite in early September (5-9) for 3 nights and 4 days. What are my odds of getting the Halfdome permit on Tuesday or Wednesday? If impossible, any recommendations for some other long, exposed hikes?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

marsisol posted:

I'm going to be in Yosemite in early September (5-9) for 3 nights and 4 days. What are my odds of getting the Halfdome permit on Tuesday or Wednesday? If impossible, any recommendations for some other long, exposed hikes?

About 1:1000 it looks like

https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/hdpermitsapps.htm

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010

Hm, what an odd graph. It looks like they handed out about 50 permits (1st choice) out of 1000 applications for each day. I'm looking at 2 different days and both my fiancee and I are applying so that's like, not awful odds I think?

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
I read the OP but honestly don't want to search through 200+ pages of this thread when I'm only gonna be doing a teensy bit of hiking. Anyway, I'm going to Israel for a couple of weeks and we will be doing some small scale hiking (I don't think we are doing Masada) but a lot of walking. My feet are super sensitive (bc I am a fat goonette and put a lot of weight on them) so please recommend me best pair of shoes for this situation.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

I read the OP but honestly don't want to search through 200+ pages of this thread when I'm only gonna be doing a teensy bit of hiking. Anyway, I'm going to Israel for a couple of weeks and we will be doing some small scale hiking (I don't think we are doing Masada) but a lot of walking. My feet are super sensitive (bc I am a fat goonette and put a lot of weight on them) so please recommend me best pair of shoes for this situation.

https://www.underarmour.com/en-us/mens-ua-fat-tire-gtx/pid1262064

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

What, are those the michelin man's shoes?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

OSU_Matthew posted:

What, are those the michelin man's shoes?

They look super comfy though.

Asomodai
Jun 4, 2005

POSTING IN TFR = DONT ASK DONT TELL AM I RITE?
[quote="OSU_Matthew" post="460167041"]
Yes

Went a 26 mile hike through one of the toughest walks in SE England and my New Balances didn't cause me any rubbing or issues. I still feel that I have a lack of support. But rather then risk buying something sight unseen I just bought another pair and have cut another volume reducer for my right foot. Really worked a treat.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

First backpacking trip of the season this weekend :toot:

Still need to get my food together...being really busy with different poo poo for the past few weeks is annoying

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

marsisol posted:

Cloud's Rest is the poo poo and my favorite in Yosemite. You actually look down on Half Dome. If exposed granite is your thing, then you have come to the right place.

Levitate posted:

That area of the Canadian Rockies isn't really all that high so you don't have much of an alpine zone compared to the Sierra's or US Rockies. It's like...green forests and trees, then suddenly rocky peaks. Also possibly gets more rain overall, the Sierra's are pretty dry during the summer.
I think you are on to something about the elevation and surrounding lower, flat lands. The Rockies in that picture look like they just suddenly jut out of an otherwise flat landscape - very unlike the Sierras.

cheese fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jun 8, 2016

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

cheese posted:

I think you are on to something about the elevation and surrounding lower, flat lands. The Rockies in that picture look like they just suddenly jut out of an otherwise flat landscape - very unlike the Sierras.

They totally do, and it's one of the things I love most about this place. Hiking up onto one of the easternmost front range peaks and just seeing prairie is super cool.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Yeah kinda like the Tetons. I need to backpack the Tetons someday as well...always kind of forget about them

A Horse Named Mandy
Feb 9, 2007

marsisol posted:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but considering they only set aside 50 backcountry Half Dome permits, and based on the surging popularity of multiple routes for overnight backpacking trips (backpacker.com alone has a couple), I'd say unless you requested it the requisite months in advance, your chances are basically nill. That said, let me take this opportunity to say, gently caress Half Dome.

I won a Half Dome day-permit this year for just this past Wednesday. I researched well, even calling the ranger office, which advised starting at 4am to avoid the crowds. I was treated to an astounding Mist Trail in the twilight, which my partner and I had almost entirely to ourselves.

From Little Yosemite Valley onwards, it was what I'd call the standard Yosemite hike, surprisingly lacking in grandeur compared to the valley, with ungodly amounts of elevation. After a good 5 hours, we finally reached the subdome. For the inexperienced, this is a stretch of trail up to the final pitch, along rough stairs of loosely sculpted granite with a lot of exposure. Most people with a fear of heights can't even make it past this ascent.

After this sketchiness, you reach the cables, at which point it all goes to hell.

“Half dome was perfectly inaccessible, being probably the only one of all the prominent points about Yosemite which has never been and will never be trodden by human foot.”
– Josiah Whitney, describing Half Dome in 1868

This is one of the most common quotes about Half Dome, along with the fact it was summited seven years later. This accomplishment was doubtlessly a significant achievement for those involved, fraught with uncertainty and ingenuity. In 1919, the Sierra Club installed the now infamous cable route, running the final 400 vertical feet, composed of two cables bolted at the top and bottom of the route, supported by metal poles every ten or so feet with a wooden plank horizontally inbetween. This route made the ascent accessible to the common hiker, which was undoubtedly a great achievement in tourism, but as the route's use grew, its spareness became a limiting factor. At its height, over a thousand people a day were attempting the summit, creating significant bottlenecks, with hikers getting stuck going up and down, with those made tired of waiting attempting on the outside. One hiker compared the experience to Disneyland, long lines and unintentional thrills.

There were soon calls to expand the route, such as adding a third cable to create a dedicated up route and down route, but all suggestions have been soundly rejected, usually under the pretense that it would diminish the aesthetic qualities of the current route. Here's why that's bullshit: granite. Yosemite granite is a famous stone among climbers, noted for its rough grippability. Surprisingly, this stone is quite susceptible to hewning, becoming easily polished through wear and time. Thus, after almost a hundred years and over a million hikers, the four foot wide track up the cables has become less like a granite stairway and more like a marble slip-n-slide. We were in Salomon hiking boots with a solid grip in most any condition, from snowy Canyonlands to moist Kalalaua, but they couldn't find the slightest surface on this polished 45-degree angle. Shockingly, these conditions have resulted in few deaths over the years, but plenty of injuries, and countless close calls.

But here's the thing; it doesn't need to be like this, and rightfully it shouldn't be. This is not the Half Dome of a hundred years ago, or even a couple decades ago. The route as it currently stands is a dilapidated death trap that has taken on an undeserved aura of achievement through simple neglect. While it may have been an accomplishment at one point, the introduction of the cables turned it into a novelty, and the deterioration of the route ever since has rendered it into a dangerous one. I understand our parks are not custom catered to their patrons, and an element of danger is an inherent part of the deal. But the current state of the cables creates an unrealistic expectation of comfort, one which the park service continually warns patrons against, yet can't help but be surprised when it creates issues year after year. Even in my short time on the cables on a relatively slow Wednesday morning, I witnessed plenty of slipping, bottlenecks, and panic attacks.

Maybe everybody isn't entitled to reach the top of Yosemite, but to leave accessibility to such a half-assed measure, ensuring that only the most foolhardy can attain it through brute strength and lack of safety sense, is absolute bullshit. I don't know if a third cable is the right answer, but the current system is undoubtedly broken, and to rebrand foolhardiness as a badge of honor is entirely the wrong direction.

A Horse Named Mandy fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jun 11, 2016

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
That Easter egg link though... :(

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I am starting to think my enjoyment of hiking/backpacking is much less about nature and more about solitude, as noting in that post about Yosemite sounds appealing at all.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
I get up at ungodly hours for my dayhikes -- partly because that's the most efficient way to get off Long Island and drive through NYC, partly because nothing beats getting on trail a couple hours before the inevitable crowds stream in.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

bongwizzard posted:

I am starting to think my enjoyment of hiking/backpacking is much less about nature and more about solitude, as noting in that post about Yosemite sounds appealing at all.

I really feel about half and half. Part of it is that the busy routes and big groups separate you from nature. I would rather sit in a secluded area and actually see animals than hike in a line of people like that.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I live on a wooded horse farm, I see more wildlife there then I ever do hiking. Apparently we have an otter now, but I have never seen him.

My actual favorite thing to find is "ruins" of any sort. Old foundations, rail beds, a 40's truck with a tree growing out of it, poo poo like that is the best. Nature reclaiming things is extremely my poo poo.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

bongwizzard posted:

I live on a wooded horse farm, I see more wildlife there then I ever do hiking. Apparently we have an otter now, but I have never seen him.

My actual favorite thing to find is "ruins" of any sort. Old foundations, rail beds, a 40's truck with a tree growing out of it, poo poo like that is the best. Nature reclaiming things is extremely my poo poo.
What about washing machines? It seems to me that your distance from a road is inversely proportional to your chances of finding a washing machine in the woods.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Any trash older then the 80's is cool in my book. My hiking buddy is a huge trash-remover and his cut off is any can with a pull-tab is "historic litter".

I really like standing in some secluded spot miles from any road or structure and think "some dudes in 72' had a wicked cool party here".

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Gonna be in St. George and Las Vegas for a little while. Any recommended day hikes in Zion?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Gonna be in St. George and Las Vegas for a little while. Any recommended day hikes in Zion?

Angel's Landing... as early as possible.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Spent some time up on the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore today. It was a wonderful 55f with a stiff North breeze. I saw less tourists then I did mosquitos...

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

bongwizzard posted:

There's some amazing poo poo in Yosemite and some places you can go that are less traveled (though the best views are often the most popular areas) but yeah it gets a lot of traffic. It'd be crazy spectacular if it wasn't so built up but its popularity is a bit too much of a good thing.

I just got back from a 3 day trip in Yosemite and mainly only saw people on the first and last 4 miles which is a day hike stretch to a waterfall.

Really wet right now though and some snow covered trails in spots. Lots of route finding over swollen creeks and flooded trails. Good trip though, will post a few pics later

I Am Not Spor
Dec 13, 2006
all the better to glomp you with

What the hell. Is that insanity recent? When I went there 10 years ago there were maybe 10 people up top and three people coming down and it was just myself, my dad, and my sister going up. Granted it was about to rain, but still, absolutely nothing like that.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

bongwizzard posted:

You are also most certainly perceiving yourself correctly

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I Am Not Spor posted:

What the hell. Is that insanity recent? When I went there 10 years ago there were maybe 10 people up top and three people coming down and it was just myself, my dad, and my sister going up. Granted it was about to rain, but still, absolutely nothing like that.

No that's before the permit system

I Am Not Spor
Dec 13, 2006
all the better to glomp you with

Levitate posted:

I'm hella hipster then. I went before Half Dome was cool. Before it got inundated with tourists :smugdog:

A Horse Named Mandy
Feb 9, 2007

Levitate posted:

That picture probably came from before the permit system, but I mostly posted it to demonstrate the traffic that little stretch of stone has seen over the decades.The permit system has limited the crowd to 300 a day, which doesn't sound like much, but you have to figure that number is still filling a narrow trail in a narrow time window, so the crowd still gets quite problematic, especially when you're unable to find sure footing during cross traffic in a bottleneck.

I think the next time I make an attempt, it will be a full-moon night during a backpacking trip (technically legal).

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

A Horse Named Mandy posted:

technically legal

The best kind of legal!

Also, can someone please judge me? I've cut down my base weight down by over half by getting rid of a bunch of dumb poo poo. I'm doing 2-night stays but would like to work my way up to longer trips.

If money were no object I'd get some decent down stuff (UQ, TQ, jacket, hood) instead of questionable synthetic material, as well as a lighter hammock, but that would be more for comfort in greater temperature extremes than weight savings.

HarryPurvis
Sep 20, 2006
That reminds me of a story...

Guest2553 posted:

The best kind of legal!

Also, can someone please judge me? I've cut down my base weight down by over half by getting rid of a bunch of dumb poo poo. I'm doing 2-night stays but would like to work my way up to longer trips.

If money were no object I'd get some decent down stuff (UQ, TQ, jacket, hood) instead of questionable synthetic material, as well as a lighter hammock, but that would be more for comfort in greater temperature extremes than weight savings.

A few observations about your gear:

- Why do you have a Wire Saw + Needle tin?
- Don't really need the mylar blanket if you already have quilt / underquilt.
- What are the emergency candles for?

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

HarryPurvis posted:

- Don't really need the mylar blanket if you already have quilt / underquilt.

-Unless they get soaked.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

beefnoodle posted:

-Unless they get soaked.
Mylar blankets are pretty firmly into the "overprepared" category. If a down quilt gets soaked, squeeze it out and go to sleep. It'll be warmer and more comfortable than mylar.

Guest2553 posted:

The best kind of legal!

Other than what HarryPurvis said, you could drop some weight in the cooking system, but that's a pretty personal thing. I roll with alcohol or esbit, and my whole cook kit is under 5oz total, sometimes under 3 if I'm using esbit. I also do freezer bag cooking, which knocks out all the other weight except one long handled spoon. I'd suggest ditching the wood burner and use just a Ti pot alone with foil for a lid instead of a full lid and folding plate.
Also, what's with the Amsteel cordage?

Depending on the hike, I tend to underpack for extra warmer layers unless It's the shoulder season, and you've got a lot of packed weight in clothes. I don't usually sit around outside of the sleeping bag/quilt when I'm not moving, though.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Does anyone roll their own freezer bag meals? If so can you post some pro tips and favorite meals.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Yeah, why do you have two stoves? Just wondering...
Also looks like you have both a pack cover and pack liner? Not sure you need both

Also an 8 oz fuel bottle weighs more than 8 oz's, not less

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Levitate posted:

Yeah, why do you have two stoves? Just wondering...
Also looks like you have both a pack cover and pack liner? Not sure you need both

Also an 8 oz fuel bottle weighs more than 8 oz's, not less
Alcohol is less dense than water.
1 fluid ounce of water weighs 1 ounce, but 1 fluid ounce of alcohol weighs about 0.82 ounces.

Fill your pack with helium for extra weight savings.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Ropes4u posted:

Does anyone roll their own freezer bag meals? If so can you post some pro tips and favorite meals.
This is my effortpost from last year about exactly that

Hypnolobster posted:

I do ultralight (so calories/ounce is important to me), and freezer bag cooking. My absolute top priority for backpacking food is that it's ridiculously easy and fatty/carby/salty as hell. I only cook for dinner, and generally not at camp so I prefer it to be fast and easy. I prefer fewer meals over tons of variety for simplicity and always knowing exactly what to expect.

My staples are
-Rice/beans/fritos/cheese (my modifications/thoughts on this)
-Pesto noodles (less basil, throw in Knorr vegetable mix)
-Pad Thai (pretty great as-is)
-Peanut noodles (you can use Taste of Thai peanut sauce mix, as well as powdered peanut butter for convenience)
Any meal I want to try out for the first time I'll usually cook at home a few times to nail down a version I really like and see how it adapts to freezer bags.

Throw in the standard bars, blocks of cheese, summer sausage, chips, PB&J tortillas, misc junk food, etc and I've never felt a need to expand beyond those. The rice and beans is by far my most common meal because it's tasty as hell and I never get bored of it. The other Andrew Skurka meals are good too, but none are quite as great as the rice and beans.
I messed around dehydrating for a while, but it's sort of inconvenient. If I had more of an urge for a big variety I'd do it on a regular basis.
I should mention that I'll occasionally throw in a Mountain House Chili Mac occasionally, because they're cheap on amazon and so goddamned satisfying.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

In no particular order...

quote:

- Why do you have a Wire Saw + Needle tin?
Needle is for darning using floss in case tape doesn't work. Wire saw is just a handy thing that doesn't weigh much so I held onto it. No particular affinity for it, I suppose, just like the idea of having one.

quote:

Mylar/candles

Those are safety items for when I don't have my gear with me (ie, bedding down somewhere) since it only weighs a couple ounces and can fit in a pocket. If I'm not going be separated from my stuff I wouldn't need them, though, you're right.

quote:

The liner doesn't cover stuff in pockets and the cover doesn't protect the stuff against my back. Willing to be proven wrong on this one so I'll experiment at home one time when it rains.

quote:

you've got a lot of packed weight in clothes
Is that a function packing too much or just not having lightweight stuff? I don't know what more I could shed :ohdear:

quote:

Yeah, why do you have two stoves?
you could drop some weight in the cooking system

Wood burning primary, trangia is a backup. If I'm expecting to burn wood I could ditch the trangia and bring some fuel tabs. I'll also ditch the folding bowl to save an ounce and change. I like having the lid since it doubles as a separate pan. Cozy might also be an area for savings too...I'll start keeping an eye towards how much I really use it.

quote:

Also, what's with the Amsteel cordage?

Bear baggin'.

Thanks all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

I Am Not Spor posted:

This is definitely pre-permit but its still awful. I have never understood Half Dome. I know its got crazy name recognition, but I'm not even sure its a top 5 hike in Yosemite. If you want crazy panorama views, go on to Cloud's Rest and get a better view (it looks DOWN on Half Dome in the distance) with 1/10th the people.