Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I want to play this so badly... no wonder they waited so long to show it off. I'm going to go crazy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I imagine Breath of the Wild's map will be similar to Wind Waker's in style. That is to say, you'll have a lot of just running around in vast expanses of nothing (although I'm sure they'll give Link tools to expedite this) but when you do spot an "area of interest" it'll almost always be worth checking out.

gently caress I am so goddamn excited for this game.

edit: aaaand I just realized somebody said almost this exact thing a page ago.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I'd like if there was a UI option to stick the stamina meter in the corner of the screen. Some of these vistas look amazing and it kinda bugs me to have that shiny green thing in the middle of the screen whenever you're climbing, especially now that we live in an age where anyone can post your own high res screencaps super easily.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Can you imagine what they're going to have to do make the Zelda that comes after this top BotW? :allears:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Rocketlex posted:

Even if the game is Q1 2017, that's still a fair amount of time for graphical polish. I'd definitely expect the final game to look better than this demo.

How close to finished is the game, though?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Pollyanna posted:

How close to finished is the game, though?

It's 6 months out in the age of downloadable patches, so they could very well still be doing optimization and stuff. If it's going to be a simultaneous global release, though, then they are probably busy coordinating localization, too.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
From Time magazine

quote:

As the first fully open-world Nintendo’s worked on, what’s the hardest thing about designing for an open world?

This is definitely the first time we’ve created a game this large. We didn’t know where to start. So it happened to be there was a team that was working on creating a larger world. And this team was a group of younger developers. So we had our old programmers from the Zelda team take a step aside, so we could introduce this new group of programmers.

But then these new, younger developers had no clue about how past Zeldas had been created. The group of new staff actually would ask us, like ‘Well I know that it’s been done, traditionally, in other Zelda titles, but why does it have to be that way?’ And among those questions there were some I just couldn’t answer, that I didn’t know the answer to myself. That was because I just took those things on as a tradition, and I didn’t really know why the tradition existed.

When you think about it, maybe those things really didn’t need to be there in the modern world, those traditions. So I started destroying these traditions I’d inherited in the series one by one. But it’s a process that takes a lot of time. And because we were destroying everything we’d done in the past, and rebuild new ideas from the ground up, that was the hardest thing, and it’s really taken a long time to create the thing I most wanted to create.

I love this. It's like the young guns at Nintendo are really starting to have their voices heard and his like Aunoma are really listening.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The game looks amazing, but framerate isn't a graphics issue.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

deadly_pudding posted:

It's 6 months out in the age of downloadable patches, so they could very well still be doing optimization and stuff. If it's going to be a simultaneous global release, though, then they are probably busy coordinating localization, too.

So everything regarding content, e.g. story, towns, quests, dungeons, characters, and plotlines has been developed? If so, that's pretty cool. And 6 months out means it comes out around Feb/March or so :pwn: it's really happening guys

I want this game so bad.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Pollyanna posted:

So everything regarding content, e.g. story, towns, quests, dungeons, characters, and plotlines has been developed? If so, that's pretty cool. And 6 months out means it comes out around Feb/March or so :pwn: it's really happening guys

I want this game so bad.

I mean, nobody knows for sure. But if their target is Q1 2017, then they are probably in the "clean our poo poo up phase".

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

greatn posted:

From Time magazine

I love this. It's like the young guns at Nintendo are really starting to have their voices heard and his like Aunoma are really listening.

That excerpt really explains a lot about why this one is turning out so different from the other 3D Zeldas. It's pretty exciting.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

greatn posted:

From Time magazine

Between this and Splatoon I feel really good about the future of Nintendo. I just hope they keep letting their younger guys take control like this.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Dexie posted:

Between this and Splatoon I feel really good about the future of Nintendo. I just hope they keep letting their younger guys take control like this.

Here's hoping that Breath of the Wild is both a critical and commercial success so that Nintendo sees that the new ways aren't all bad. Like I'd love if they made a new Metroid game that plays like Metroid Prime but is as open-ended as Super Metroid :allears:

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

quiggy posted:

Here's hoping that Breath of the Wild is both a critical and commercial success so that Nintendo sees that the new ways aren't all bad. Like I'd love if they made a new Metroid game that plays like Metroid Prime but is as open-ended as Super Metroid :allears:

They'll make a new Metroid with great gameplay and compelling exploration, but keep Samus's terrible Other M personality.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

greatn posted:

From Time magazine

It is absolutely shocking how rare this is in the game industry.

"Game Design" as as a discipline is still extremely young and unrefined. Basically just a few nerds who convinced other people to hire them on experience doing their best guess. There's almost nobody actually considering it as a proper discipline or trade.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

greatn posted:

From Time magazine

As long as the game has a whole bunch of dungeons (Preferably 8) then I don't care what they do~

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Infinitum posted:

As long as the game has a whole bunch of dungeons (Preferably 8) then I don't care what they do~

Yeah this, shrines are cool and all but if you're pulling Majora's Mask "We only have four dungeons and two of them suck" bullshit then I'm not going to be happy. If they claim dungeons have been replaced with exploring the world then Zelda has replaced the thing I play Zelda for with the thing I don't play every other open world game for.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
They're still trying to get someone to dump the game right now to an SD card after yesterday. After the first attempt already went public.

What's the worst that could happen to the person who attempts it or actually gets away with it y'know?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Yeah this, shrines are cool and all but if you're pulling Majora's Mask "We only have four dungeons and two of them suck" bullshit then I'm not going to be happy. If they claim dungeons have been replaced with exploring the world then Zelda has replaced the thing I play Zelda for with the thing I don't play every other open world game for.

There are 100 shrines on top of dungeons.

I'm super cool with that, but the only 'traditional' thing I hope they keep is having 8 dungeons.
I just want to play this game for thousands of hours and never stop :allears:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

They're still trying to get someone to dump the game right now to an SD card after yesterday. After the first attempt already went public.

What's the worst that could happen to the person who attempts it or actually gets away with it y'know?

What happened with the first attempt?

It takes a pretty long time to copy 16GB on Wii U but I guess it could be done since they're giving everyone 40 min at demo stations.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jun 16, 2016

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

SeANMcBAY posted:

It takes a pretty long time to copy 16GB on Wii U but I guess it could be done since they're giving everyone 40 min at demo stations.

He's being turned into an NX

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

SeANMcBAY posted:

Corrupted apparently. Considering they're likely to have even more security watching people like hawks after the news blew up yesterday I'd say it'd be quite the thing to even try to even pull off at this point.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

So was there anything displayed on the gamepad screen? I don't remember noticing anything or them pointing it out.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sam Faust posted:

So was there anything displayed on the gamepad screen? I don't remember noticing anything or them pointing it out.

In other game demos, they've switched between the gamepad and the main screen during the stream, so it's possible that whole "use your tablet as a telescope/mark enemies and destinations" thing is on the gamepad screen.

But it also might not be. They certainly weren't using it for quick-swapping equipment.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
http://imgur.com/a/7aQR7

Whoever wanted the wallpapers without a logo there's all the high res alternates

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I'm so glad at all the creative decisions involved in this game. I'm also really glad Miyamoto had a role in it, small as it was.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So I'm selling my Wii U. Do I have to do anything with it before I sell it? I want to keep my account on there so it comes with Super Mario 3D World and Nintendoland. However, I am worried that the next owner may try to use my credit card on the eShop.

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
The Wii U general thread is thataway.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

WiiU thread on timeout right now.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Also judging by the way the accounts are acting this is the guy who tried/is/will dump the demo. Yeah, a seventeen year old. The impetus of youth and all that.

Edit: Also ALSO judging by this post there won't be any tears shed by the hacking community if he gets caught and there's any actual consequences for him.

Viewtiful Jew fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jun 16, 2016

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Earnestly posted:

It's closed right now.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"
Guys, I haven't been this stoked for a Legend of Zelda game in a long time

I wish I could invent a time machine so I could play it already

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Earnestly posted:

Don't make people read the Wii u thread.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Lol they don't let you handle the consoles, much less go into the data management and copy files and poo poo. You guys are just gonna download a package of viruses from some Internet prankster.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Also judging by the way the accounts are acting this is the guy who tried/is/will dump the demo. Yeah, a seventeen year old. The impetus of youth and all that.

Edit: Also ALSO judging by this post there won't be any tears shed by the hacking community if he gets caught and there's any actual consequences for him.

I still don't even get why we are believing any of this. The kiosks are clearly under lock and key, there are Nintendo reps everywhere that watch you like a hawk, the "Home" button is probably disabled as it is for any demo kiosk

but maybe most damning of all is that the WiiU OS is terrible and copying a large file can take ages. he'd have to go at least half an hour without anyone noticing his kiosk is not on Zelda

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
So given the hints that much of the story is hidden in optional stuff and a person playing the game from one "GO HERE FOR PLOT" marker to the next might miss much of the story...

Will this game suffer from Xenoblade Chronicles X style criticism of "there's no plot here" when all of the plot is hidden in optional sidequests?

(I'm about 2/3rds of the way through XCX and, as a sidequest person, I'm increasingly annoyed at that criticism. There's tons of story in that game, and some of it is even good.)

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
I sure hope it does, because I think Zelda is a game that could really work well with plot being a discoverable commodity.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

yeah in a jrpg if you miss out on the story you're missing a big part of the game, in zelda, not so much

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell
I have a friend who loves zelda, he even introduced me to it with Majoras Mask many terrifying moons ago, but he thinks the new game looks boring. He and everyone who says that must just be objectively dumb right? Like you do realize how impressive it is that they can keep us engaged with new and amazing content for hours and hours WITHOUT even touching on the traditional zelda temple/story stuff right?? This isnt a lacking Zelda game, its a new zelda game + skyrim with link. Skyrim + Zelda, not Zelda without temples.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

This game seems like it has all the kinds of things that could get me to spend like a few hundred hours just messing around and exploring the world. The elder scrolls/fallout games got too samey for me to do that past Oblivion and Fallout 3 so it's nice to see a game that looks like a fresh and fun take on this open world game concept. And it being made by Nintendo kind of ensures a certain level of polish and fun to everything that I'm really interested in seeing more of.

I just need to see what the NX is like so I know whether I'll want to get it on that or just pick up a Wii U for it.