Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Space T Rex posted:

I have a friend who loves zelda, he even introduced me to it with Majoras Mask many terrifying moons ago, but he thinks the new game looks boring. He and everyone who says that must just be objectively dumb right? Like you do realize how impressive it is that they can keep us engaged with new and amazing content for hours and hours WITHOUT even touching on the traditional zelda temple/story stuff right?? This isnt a lacking Zelda game, its a new zelda game + skyrim with link. Skyrim + Zelda, not Zelda without temples.

I think there are at least two contingents of people who are either a) really not sold on this concept or b) outright turned off by open world. Some people are just really open world fatigued, which I understand, and that makes them really skeptical of any game series that "goes open world." The other group are the people who already really loved the 3D Zeldas as they were and probably would've preferred another one like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Harrow posted:

I think there are at least two contingents of people who are either a) really not sold on this concept or b) outright turned off by open world. Some people are just really open world fatigued, which I understand, and that makes them really skeptical of any game series that "goes open world." The other group are the people who already really loved the 3D Zeldas as they were and probably would've preferred another one like that.

I can sympathize with both groups, a bit at least. There's no way a game can have as much charm and personality as, say, Majora's Mask without being heavily dense. Majora's Mask was relatively tiny compared even to Ocarina of Time, let alone this, but it was incredibly content-rich to the point where you felt like you actually knew the NPCs.

In general, I mostly prefer the 2D Zeldas to the 3D ones, but I'm not sure I've ever had a flat-out bad reaction to a Zelda game other than the few times I've tried to play the NES ones. (And I've tried quite a few times. I want to like Zelda 1 but I can't, and I don't even want to like Zelda 2.)

That said, this game is going for a whole different type of experience and it looks like an amazingly polished experience. The game doesn't look "empty" at all and I think items that will eventually break is a brilliant move for Zelda, to contrast to the typical walking armory Link who carts 40 bombs, 50 arrows, a bunch of ridiculously huge metal objects, multiple outfits and sets of footwear, a sack full of cash, and a musical instrument around with him somehow.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Watched a video from Nick at Polygon. He tried to throw a torch into some Bokoblins to hurt them, but it just lit one of their clubs on fire. Then the second one ran over and purposefully lit his club on fire and both came after Link.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Yeah, my shameful secret is that I've never beat Zeldas 1 or 2. TLOZ I came drat close then real life got in the way. Zelda 2 I just can't, I always just end up grinding in the first field forever because I know from experience that if I go to the first temple without doing so I will die a horrible death and game over, and I don't think I've ever gotten past the second dungeon due to either grind burnout or sheer difficulty.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Jsor posted:

Yeah, my shameful secret is that I've never beat Zeldas 1 or 2. TLOZ I came drat close then real life got in the way. Zelda 2 I just can't, I always just end up grinding in the first field forever because I know from experience that if I go to the first temple without doing so I will die a horrible death and game over, and I don't think I've ever gotten past the second dungeon due to either grind burnout or sheer difficulty.

Here's a strategy you can try. Go to the first temple and just keep going in and out to grind. Grind up only your attack. Health once or twice if you absolutely need it.(and there's also a heart container near the first temple). Get your attack to like five or six but never level up your magic or health. Now after you gain that fifth or sixth attack level, get ready to beat the temple. On the way down just make sure you gain enough experience that you "decline" leveling up your health or magic again. Now after you beat the boss and return the crystal you will automatically gain enough experience to get to the next attack level. But instead choose magic or health. The level up screen will just keep popping up as long as you have exp to spare. Spread it around, and you'll end up with Everything at 5 or six because you have such a surplus. You'll never need to grind again, the rest of the game should naturally fill out your levels to eight, probably. Grinding those levels out in the first temple takes maybe an hour and half, and goes by quicker as you gain more attack and kill almost everything in one hit.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Ammat The Ankh posted:

They'll make a new Metroid with great gameplay and compelling exploration, but keep Samus's terrible Other M personality.

I'll take it.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

punk rebel ecks posted:

So I'm selling my Wii U. Do I have to do anything with it before I sell it? I want to keep my account on there so it comes with Super Mario 3D World and Nintendoland. However, I am worried that the next owner may try to use my credit card on the eShop.

Anybody at all? Again sorry for asking this here but the official Wii U thread is closed.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

punk rebel ecks posted:

Anybody at all? Again sorry for asking this here but the official Wii U thread is closed.

Your credit card is behind a password, but...I'm not sure if you're comfortable with that even so.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Jsor posted:

The secret is to jump and slash at enemy heads. That works on a huge number of enemies in the game, and it was the thing that made the game finally beatable for me.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

greatn posted:

Here's a strategy you can try. Go to the first temple and just keep going in and out to grind. Grind up only your attack. Health once or twice if you absolutely need it.(and there's also a heart container near the first temple). Get your attack to like five or six but never level up your magic or health. Now after you gain that fifth or sixth attack level, get ready to beat the temple. On the way down just make sure you gain enough experience that you "decline" leveling up your health or magic again. Now after you beat the boss and return the crystal you will automatically gain enough experience to get to the next attack level. But instead choose magic or health. The level up screen will just keep popping up as long as you have exp to spare. Spread it around, and you'll end up with Everything at 5 or six because you have such a surplus. You'll never need to grind again, the rest of the game should naturally fill out your levels to eight, probably. Grinding those levels out in the first temple takes maybe an hour and half, and goes by quicker as you gain more attack and kill almost everything in one hit.
Telling someone who couldn't get into LoZ 2 that they should spend an hour and a half grinding is perhaps the absolute worst advice you could give

You don't need to grind at all in 2. the parts people get stuck on are generally parts where they don't know where to go, not combat segments. if you just play the game normally you get plenty of XP, just keep a walkthrough open for if you get stuck

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I still don't know how I beat Zelda 2 when I was like 6.

loving Thunderbird boss man.

Before strategy guides before the internet. How the gently caress did I do that man.

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jun 16, 2016

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

punk rebel ecks posted:

I think you can go to the shop, 'try' to buy something and get your card's password wrong a few times and it'll delete the card info.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Nickoten posted:

I sure hope it does, because I think Zelda is a game that could really work well with plot being a discoverable commodity.

That's a really cool way to phrase that and I hope that's exactly how they implement the story

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Infinitum posted:

I still don't know how I beat Zelda 2 when I was like 8.

Before strategy guides before the internet. How the gently caress did I do that man.

You are a bit older then me, but I had a similar experince with Viewtiful Joe when I was 11. I used every character in the game to beat at least V-Rated, and beat Ultra V-Rated with Joe and Captain Blue.

I think if I tried playing VJ again I wouldn't be able to get past the first stage on Adults.

Flowers
Mar 16, 2007

it's all fucking lewds

Infinitum posted:

I still don't know how I beat Zelda 2 when I was like 6.

I feel like this anytime I replay a beloved NES game. I just replayed StarTropics 1 and 2, and beat them both with heavy use of WiiU save states. I couldn't have been older than 7 when I first beat the first one. I have no idea how I could have possibly accomplished that, those games range from "this is a fun adventure game :)" to "holy gently caress everything around me is death".

But, yeah, Zelda. I am so hyped for this Zelda. The fact that they said they have the old programmers taking a back seat to this one sounds so exciting, everything looks cool, ahhhh please don't let me down, Nintendo.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Guys, no one is downloading the demo. The original tweet was made before the showfloor even opened yesterday and was eventually deleted.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Gosh dangit I'm gonna want to play this game right away when it comes out, which puts me in the tricky situation of either becoming an NX early adopter, or buying a WiiU for basically three to five games.

Nintendooo :argh:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

If they do a custom NX with the Triforce or BotW logo on the side of it, imma pick that poo poo up D1.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Not sure if this was brought up yet, but did anyone notice that the voice that tells Link to get up actually refers to Link as "Link".

Does this mean that you won't be able to name Link whatever you want? I mean, I almost never name him anything other then Link or variations like "Lonk". I suppose you can name the game file whatever you want.

Now that I think of it, will the game even have multiple save files? It would sort of suck, but with such a massive overworld, I wouldn't be surprised at all if this game took the Pokemon route and limited it to just one.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
now what incentive will the speedrunners choose for the botw charity marathon run

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Maybe you can name your horse.

E: Granted, the speedrunners are probably going to not need a horse because there'll be some bug to paraglide at five billion miles per hour.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Suspicious Dish posted:

now what incentive will the speedrunners choose for the botw charity marathon run

"What outfit should I wear the whole game"

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Jsor posted:

E: Granted, the speedrunners are probably going to not need a horse because there'll be some bug to paraglide at five billion miles per hour.

Just set Link on fire in a parallel universe and boom infinite updraft.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Suspicious Dish posted:

This game is going to require a whole loving week to itself just for a speed run.

I hope there's some awesome form of flight we get for this massive world, I have a feeling the horse is going to start feeling really, really god drat slow.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

"What outfit should I wear the whole game"

No pants

https://vt.tumblr.com/tumblr_o8rwx5dMSn1rxii58_480.mp4#_=_

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

Zuzie posted:

Not sure if this was brought up yet, but did anyone notice that the voice that tells Link to get up actually refers to Link as "Link".

Does this mean that you won't be able to name Link whatever you want? I mean, I almost never name him anything other then Link or variations like "Lonk". I suppose you can name the game file whatever you want.

Now that I think of it, will the game even have multiple save files? It would sort of suck, but with such a massive overworld, I wouldn't be surprised at all if this game took the Pokemon route and limited it to just one.
There's nothing that says the E3 demo can't also be limited in this way or have a save file set up in advance.

Edit: Or anything else, for that matter.

Jsor posted:

Or find a way to ride a frozen rock without being murdered instantly

Cheez fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jun 16, 2016

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Cheez posted:

Or find a way to ride a frozen rock without being murdered instantly

Oh man...

I can't wait for the physics exploits to make crazy poo poo happen. :allears:

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I'm really curious if Wolf Link is a one-off thing or if you're going to be able to find and tame animals like wolves to hunt alongside you

Other than having a horse to ride around I mean

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Twilight princess and those wolf segments where you collect tears or orbs or whatever and the bosses including Gannon that took off a quarter of one heart turned me off the entire franchise, but I'm looking forward to seeing what this is like.
Very hopeful after reading about the young developers questioning the old guards methods and them not coming up with a good reason why they keep doing the exact same thing they did in ocarina of time over and over.

I just hope the starting area doesn't feel like another 3 hour tutorial.

I'm getting some adventure time vibes from this game, the lone boy adventurer in a post-apocalypse world filled with ruins of a past war and weird creatures going about their day.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jun 16, 2016

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Does anyone have a good hi res shot of the Master Sword from BotW's trailer? I want a new phone wallpaper.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Kelp Plankton posted:

I'm really curious if Wolf Link is a one-off thing or if you're going to be able to find and tame animals like wolves to hunt alongside you

I'd imagine. It would be weird to code something like that just for a relatively small bonus unless there's another way to get Wolf Link without the amiibo.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Oh god I want an actual wolf pack now. I want my Link to be feral and wild. And I want Dark Souls invasions where we hunt other players.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Does anyone have a good hi res shot of the Master Sword from BotW's trailer? I want a new phone wallpaper.

These big enough? :v:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I think he means when it's just in the mossy forest mimicking LTTP's art.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

s.i.r.e. posted:

I think he means when it's just in the mossy forest mimicking LTTP's art.

Yeah. Though thank you, Infinitum. I'm going to use one of those for work.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

This thing is stupid huge, so imma just link it.
Magic eye logo 19Mb

These are just captures from Potplayer, so they're not very big. I really want a proper 1920 version of the last pic.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Yeah, this kicks loving rear end, I got sprung when I saw that.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Thanks for sharing those but would you mind linking them, it's killing my phone for some reason.

Space T Rex posted:

I have a friend who loves zelda, he even introduced me to it with Majoras Mask many terrifying moons ago, but he thinks the new game looks boring. He and everyone who says that must just be objectively dumb right? Like you do realize how impressive it is that they can keep us engaged with new and amazing content for hours and hours WITHOUT even touching on the traditional zelda temple/story stuff right?? This isnt a lacking Zelda game, its a new zelda game + skyrim with link. Skyrim + Zelda, not Zelda without temples.

I could totally understand someone saying this looks boring if they don't use their head and just watch a snippet of video without thinking about it at all. It's incredibly obvious that this is just the tip of the iceberg, showing us the foundation for the systems that this game is built around, and there's a TON of stuff we're not being shown, and the stuff we are seeing is going to be expanded on exponentially. It's not going to be 100 hours of climbing grassy hills and fighting bokoblins with sticks and spears.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Kelp Plankton posted:

If the world's size is comparable to that in Xenoblade X, then I'd imagine we'll get access to some sort of flying mount later in the game. Maybe some sort of giant bird like in Skyward Sword, or a winged horse.

There might even be a number of animal companions and mounts to tame, each of which have different functions while exploring and puzzle solving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Fourth one worked like a charm, thank you!